PDA

View Full Version : Yale at Lafayette, Mr. C's Game Thread

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
EASTON, PA. — Usually it is a little easier to see Lehigh and Lafayette play in the same day, considering the short distance between the two bitter Lehigh Valley campuses.

But considering Lehigh was finishing up its game in New York City, at Fordham, a couple of hours ago, it was a little more difficult to get back to the Lafayette campus for its evening game with Yale.

Lafayette is trying to right its ship after a 1-4 start, with the Leopards' only win being a surprise thrashing of two-time defending Ivy League champion Penn. LU needs a win before getting back into Patriot League play.

Yale is 3-1, with wins over Georgetown, Cornell and Dartmouth, while the Bulldogs were tagged with a 37-7 loss at Lehigh two weeks ago. The Bulldogs will be tuning up for the final push of five Ivy League games, that includes games with league favorites Penn and Harvard.

With Yale having already lost to Lafayette, it may also give the Leopards a measure of just close they are to Lehigh before the two school meet for a college record 147th time in Bethlehem, PA. to end the regular season.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Lafayette took the ball right down the field on its opening drive, looking like a typical Frank Tavani team in going 66 yards in 11 plays and taking five and a half minutes off the clock. The Leopards scored on a third and goal when QB Andrew Shoop hit a wide-open Austin O'Brien in the back of the end zone for a seven-yard scoring strike with 8:24 left on the first-period clock.

Yale moved the ball well into Lafayette territory on its first drive before the Leopards held with an interception.

The teams have traded possessions since then with Lafayette leading 7-0 with 3:39 left in the quarter as the Leopards take over again at their own 21.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
At the end of a quarter, it is still Lafayette 7, Yale 0.

Lafayette 116 yards on 23 snaps (29 rushing, 87 passing)
Yale 30 yards on 11 plays (11 rushing, 19 passing, 2-of-8 throwing the ball)

7-1 lead in first downs for the Leopards

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
The Yale Bulldogs look like they think they are the stinking Dallas Cowboys, with all of the shifting around they are doing before the offensive snaps. Tom Williams, you're not in the NFL anymore.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
A pass interference penalty on Lafayette gives Yale a first down on the Bulldog 39, but the Leopards respond with a sack.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks Mr C!

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Looks like Yale can't play in PA. Not a good sign with a game at Penn next week

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
The losses the past two seasons have taken a toll here at Fisher Stadium. There is a real snoozer of an atmosphere here tonight, with the home stands about half full and maybe 100 folks on the visiting side. Where are those partying Eli fans tonight? Back in New Haven?

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Where are those partying Eli fans tonight? Back in New Haven?

They're afraid of the dark

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Looks like Yale can't play in PA. Not a good sign with a game at Penn next week

Penn is squeaking out wins, but knows how to win. It will probably be a tight game, but judging on what I've seen of both teams, I'd have to favor the Quakes at Franklin Field (tough place for road teams).

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
They're afraid of the dark

It's not like Fisher Stadium is in the Hood.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
It's not like Fisher Stadium is in the Hood.

They forget, not every place is like New Haven after dark

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks Mr C!

My pleasure. Keep those cards and letters (and comments and questions) coming.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yale just picked up a safety to make it 7-2 Lafayette with 9:08 remaining in the half. The Bulldogs will start their possession after the free kick at the LC 44. This is Yale's chance to get the offense untracked.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM

And I have been there - but in the active area. I ate at that historic hamburger stand in Oct 2009 near midnight - JW was it Louie's? I believe so. That was my first (and so far only) time at the Yale Bowl.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Both games I've covered today have had safeties. Fordham blocked a Lehigh punt (Oh, those Mountain Hawks special teams) for a safety earlier today.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM

I've never been in New Haven, or at the Yale Bowl after dark. Might be fun to see a night game at the Yale Bowl.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Yale just picked up a safety to make it 7-2 Lafayette with 9:08 remaining in the half. The Bulldogs will start their possession after the free kick at the LU 44. This is Yale's chance to get the offense untracked.

Damn C you sure you didnt give an ALCS score?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
How did Yale get the safety?

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
And I have been there - but in the active area. I ate at that historic hamburger stand in Oct 2009 near midnight - JW was it Louie's? I believe so. That was my first (and so far only) time at the Yale Bowl.

http://www.louislunch.com/

You mean you didn't go to Pepe's or Sally's ?

Lehigh Football Nation
Oh, wow. Lafayette would have had a pick six if his OWN MAN didn't slam into him.

Mr. C
Darius Safford just picked off a telegraphed pass with a nice jump of a route to kill Yale's threat. The Leopards take over again at the LU 47 with 8:21 left in the half.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I've never been in New Haven, or at the Yale Bowl after dark. Might be fun to see a night game at the Yale Bowl.

Hmmm - do they have lights? I cant recall...Missed the 2005 journey to your turf in Boone, Mr. C. I have the tape though! I had a 25th HS reunion. Of all weekends!

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Darius Safford just picked off a telegraphed pass with a nice jump of a route to kill Yale's threat. The Leopards take over again at the LU 47 with 8:21 left in the half.

LC >> LU is Lehigh.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
The last time I covered a Yale game in person, Cornell scored on the first, or second play of the day and made the score hold up for a win. For some reason, the Bulldog offense tonight is reminding of that day.

Pards Rule
http://www.louislunch.com/

You mean you didn't go to Pepe's or Sally's ?

No, I can only eat so much at 11PM...And had a filling breakfast at the Hilton Garden Inn in Milford the next morning!

Mr. C
LC >> LU is Lehigh.

Sorry for the blunder.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yale being embarrassed

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the blunder.

NP - you are used to the U :)

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Lafayette just scored its first rushing TD of the season (WOW!) to make it 14-2. Five plays, 53 yards, 2:10 off the clock for Pat Mputu to score from the six with 6:11 left in the half.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Milford is my home town. That's where I grew up and went to high school

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Ya know I thought this might be another one of those Penn games where I had predicted before that game that these guys would be pist off and come out breathing fire. I was surprised though considering the records that Yale was +3 - expected more of a 7 spread but we dont need to worry about covers.

hawkineer
October 15th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Lafayette just scored its first rushing TD of the season .

Wow, is that really true?

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Yes! I loved it!

Mr. C
Damn C you sure you didnt give an ALCS score?

I was wondering the same thing in the Lehigh game when the safety cut the lead to 10-2.

Pards Rule
Lafayette just scored its first rushing TD of the season (WOW!) to make it 14-0. Five plays, 53 yards, 2:10 off the clock for Pat Mputu to score from the six with 6:11 left in the half.

14-2

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Yale's Roger Conner with 10-yard TD catch from Patrick Witt to make it Lafayette 14, Yale 9 at the 4:16 mark of the second period. Six plays, 57 yards, 1:55 on the drive.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:11 PM
How did Yale get the safety?

We were too busy talking about being in New Haven after dark to see what happened on the safety.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
14-2

I'm still suffering from car lag after my trip to the Bronx this afternoon.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Yale's Roger Conner with 10-yard TD catch from Patrick Witt to make it Lafayette 14, Yale 9 at the 4:16 mark of the second period. Six plays, 57 yards, 1:55 on the drive.

The Yale radio announcers said it was Elijah Thomas who caught Yale's TD

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Wow, is that really true?

I think that suspension early in the season (was it to Mputu?) really set the Leopards back on offense, particularly in the running game.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM
just don't walk near the frats near Yale after dark - people get shot in those areas....

And to think one of my daughters was thinking about pursuing Yale.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Great catch between two defenders for 34 yards by Lafayette's Rodney Gould. The pass from Shoop was nearly picked off. First down LC at the Yale 34 with 2:33 left in the half.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:17 PM
The Yale radio announcers said it was Elijah Thomas who caught Yale's TD

They said Roger Conner up here, but you never know with the PA announcers.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Javi Sosa of Yale broke up a pass at the goal line, but was flagged for pass interference. First down at the Yale 17 for Lafayette.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Also corporate HQs of which two well known companies??

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Penn is squeaking out wins, but knows how to win. It will probably be a tight game, but judging on what I've seen of both teams, I'd have to favor the Quakes at Franklin Field (tough place for road teams).

Correct about Penn. They scored in the last minute to beat Columbia 27-20

Pards Rule
Also corporate HQs of which two well known companies??

And get off Wikipedia - you grew up there!

Lehigh Football Nation
Man, Yale is simply not very good. Credit to Lafayette, who seems to have righted the ship, but I'm stunned at Yale's lack of execution in the games vs. Lehigh and now Lafayette.

bulldog10jw
Bic Pen (if they are still there) and Subway

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Nice throw and catch on the fade in the corner from Shoop to Greg Stipe from 19 yards out with 1:19 left in the half. Lafayette drive goes 6 plays and 58 yards.

Mr. C
Lafayette 21, Yale 9 as we near halftime.

bulldog10jw
but I'm stunned at Yale's lack of execution in the games vs. Lehigh and now Lafayette.

Me too

Pards Rule
Bic Pen (if they are still there) and Subway

DING! AND DING! I know Milford :)

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Man, Yale is simply not very good. Credit to Lafayette, who seems to have righted the ship, but I'm stunned at Yale's lack of execution in the games vs. Lehigh and now Lafayette.

That's what that NFL coaching will do for you.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Yale's Chris Smith returned the ball to the Bulldog 49 with 1:12 on the clock.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Can't believe that Yale just ran the ball on first down.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Completion to Deon Randell at the 36, though it was almost bounced.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Dropped pass on the next play leave Yale at the 36 with 34 seconds left.

Mr. C
Incomplete again, 31 seconds left on third and 10 from the LC 36.

bulldog10jw
DING! AND DING! I know Milford :)

Bic has been threatening to leave for years. I think all the manufacturing operations may be gone already. I've been in the Phoenix area for 20 years now and have kind of lost touch with the old hometown.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Totally dumb bubble screen call on third down results in a loss of one and forces the Bulldogs to burn a time out. It is fourth and 11 at the LC 37 with 25 seconds left.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Lafayette DE Tahir Basil came charging through the line to knock down the fourth-down pass from Witt. LC ball with 21 seconds left in the half and it's on to the locker rooms with Lafayette leading 21-9.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Correct about Penn. They scored in the last minute to beat Columbia 27-20

Again??? Lunch with Al Bagnoli will be a little nicer on Wednesday.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Lafayette DE Tahir Basil came charging through the line to knock down the fourth-down pass from Witt. LC ball with 21 seconds left in the half and it's on to the locker rooms with Lafayette leading 21-9.

AND LC gets the ball to start the 2nd half. Time to see what Yale is made of

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hmmm - do they have lights? I cant recall...Missed the 2005 journey to your turf in Boone, Mr. C. I have the tape though! I had a 25th HS reunion. Of all weekends!

I was in the house for that one. I have a DVD copy of it (from Lafayette's TV network, those are good guys). Lafayette played a nice game with Pat Davis at QB (the only backup QB-long snapper I've ever heard of). I have a chapter about that game in my book Magic on the Mountain. Frank Tavani went down to watch his son Dan play at Wofford against ASU that year during Lafayette's bye week and got an advance look at the Mountaineers.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM
AND LU gets the ball to start the 2nd half. Time to see what Yale is made of

They need to do something with that offense. The defense is getting almost no help from the other side in this one.

LehighU11
October 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
AND LU gets the ball to start the 2nd half. Time to see what Yale is made of

*LC: Lafayette College. LU is reserved for the better institution in Bethlehem.

Pards Rule
I was in the house for that one. I have a DVD copy of it (from Lafayette's TV network, those are good guys). Lafayette played a nice game with Pat Davis at QB (the only backup QB-long snapper I've ever heard of). I have a chapter about that game in my book Magic on the Mountain. Frank Tavani went down to watch his son Dan play at Wofford against ASU that year during Lafayette's bye week and got an advance look at the Mountaineers.

I bought that book and you did a great job on it, especially the Lafayette chapter. Still dont understand why Pat pressed late and got the INT when he was so successful underneath.

Mr. C
First half stats:

Lafayette 40 plays, 220 yards (50 rushing, 170 passing on 16-of-19 from Shoop and Ryan O'Neil combined. Shoop is 13-of-14 for 143 and two TDs).

Yale 33 plays, 116 yards (35 rushing, 81 passing, Witt is a disastrous 9-of-22 with two interceptions and one TD).

Lafayette has a 21-9 edge in first downs and has doubled Yale's time of possession.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I bought that book and you did a great job on it, especially the Lafayette chapter. Still dont understand why Pat pressed late and got the INT when he was so successful underneath.

Lafayette was trying to be aggressive in its efforts to win the game. ASU also had a knack for making plays like that on defense during its first championship year. Thanks for the compliment on the book. I have a basement full of them still at my house in Boone.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM

We already established that. I'll take the blame for that from one of my earlier posts. And my excuse is still car lag from my trip to the Bronx.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:41 PM
First half stats:

Lafayette 40 plays, 220 yards (50 rushing, 170 passing on 16-of-19 from Shoop and Ryan O'Neil combined. Shoop is 13-of-14 for 143 and two TDs).

Yale 33 plays, 116 yards (35 rushing, 81 passing, Witt is a disastrous 9-of-22 with two interceptions and one TD).

Lafayette has a 21-9 edge in first downs and has doubled Yale's time of possession.

Yale has the talent to come back, but I'm not sure they have the intestinal fortitude. For as long as I can remember, Yale has been a frontrunner. Get out ahead and put the other team away, or keep it close and make fewer mistakes. A couple of comebacks against Princeton are really the only times I can remember them coming back since Cozza left. And those games were really handed to them. We'll see.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Yale has the talent to come back, but I'm not sure they have the intestinal fortitude. For as long as I can remember, Yale has been a frontrunner. Get out ahead and put the other team away, or keep it close and make fewer mistakes. A couple of comebacks against Princeton are really the only times I can remember them coming back since Cozza left. And those games were really handed to them. We'll see.

Didnt Jack Siedlecki teach them about comebacks ;)

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM

MY apologies to both those fine institutions

RichH2
October 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM
That's OK Mr.C just got back myself from gsme. See Pards stifling Witt. If they avoid meltdown in 2nd half will be a nice turnaround for them

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM

My soph year in 1981 (Bill Russo's first and Jacks too as OC there) he literally was over my left shoulder every home game as I sat right up against coaches box to hear the interactions with him and the players via the phones.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 06:45 PM

They blew more halftime leads, some double digits, than I care to remember with Jack. Harvard 2005 and Princeton 2006 being the worst of them

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM

In my mind, Jack should still be on the sidelines at Yale. Big, big mistake there.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
The blew more halftime leads, some double digits, than I care to remember with Jack.. Harvard 2005 and Princeton 2006 being the worst of them

LOL that was my inside joke - they had a memorable string of meltdowns - particularly losing to Maine 39-38 after being up 38-14 late in the 3rd in 1983.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:48 PM

They might want to let Witt sit the rest of this one out, if John Whitelaw is up to the challenge.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM
If Yale plays like this against Penn next week, the Bulldogs are going to have a hard time against the Quaker defense.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM
LOL that was my inside joke - they had a memorable string of meltdowns - particularly losing to Maine 39-38 after being up 38-14 late in the 3rd in 1983.

Of course he was with the Bulldogs when LC lost big double digits leads to the LU in 1995, 96 and 97.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM

But they didn't lose many games period during Jack's days as head coach. They just struggled against Tim Murphy and Harvard.

bulldog10jw
They might want to let Witt sit the rest of this one out, if John Whitelaw is up to the challenge.

I would be surprised, although they do like Whitelaw's talent. He hasn't taken more than 2 or 3 snaps since preseason

Mr. C
It looks like Lafayette is going to work on that ground game in the second half.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM
A drop by Mark Ross of Lafayette after a nice touch pass deep from Shoop.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Same play, other side to Kyle Triplett and another deep drop. Lafayette will punt.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I would be surprised, although they do like Whitelaw's talent. He hasn't taken more than 2 or 3 snaps since preseason

It just looks like they need to put a jolt into the system in some form, or fashion. But Witt is coming on the field for the next possession.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM
To update a question from earlier in the evening, Elijah Thomas was indeed the scorer on the Yale touchdown in the second period.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Witt continues to look just, plain awful on his throws. But he did complete a third-down pass for 13 yards and a first down at the Yale 43. It was one play after a really bad toss on a throwback, misdirection screen.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Witt is really ill-served by his receiving corps, IMO. He's a decent passer with a good arm but his receivers are downright awful.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Yale picked up a rushing first down for 17 yards to the LC 39, though replays showed the rusher was down much earlier.

RichH2
October 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
After watching Witt vs Lehigh, I was not very impressed at all. Real nice arm but little else to recommend him as a top flight qb

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
A defensive holding call on third and long gives Yale a first down at the LC 24 after another poor Witt throw missed an open receiver.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Be patient with me as Internet speed up here seems to be slowing down in the second half. The Leopard fans must be clogging the lines to get their Tweets in.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
First and goal at the LC 10 for Yale and Witt makes another poor throw over his receiver's head in the end zone.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Rush for Yale to the seven, third and goal upcoming.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Cannot settle for a FG

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hold em - though I think this is 4 downer

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
A FG is a win for the LC defense at this point

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Witt did his best Fran Tarkenton imitation on third down, reversing field against a fierce pass rush a couple of times before purposely throwing the ball well out of the end zone. Phillipe Panico kicked a field goal to give Yale three points to cap the 16-play, 73-yard drive. It is Lafayette 21, Yale 12 with 5:03 left in the third period.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
A FG is a win for the LC defense at this point

Thanks - we will take it...I would have done 4 downs in this game at this juncture.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Witt is really ill-served by his receiving corps, IMO. He's a decent passer with a good arm but his receivers are downright awful.

Tonight, almost all of the blame is on Witt. He has consistently made poor throws and has shown really bad mechanics. Now, the Lafayette receivers have dropped a few of Shoop's throws.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks - we will take it...I would have done 4 downs in this game at this juncture.

It was third and long and the Bulldogs needed to come away with something after a 16-play drive. I'm not sure you could have a lot of confidence in the offense in a situation like that. I'll also give props to the Leopard defense, particularly on the pass rush.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Good defensive series for Yale to force a quick punt. The Bulldogs will get the ball back with about two minutes left in the third quarter.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Tonight, almost all of the blame is on Witt. He has consistently made poor throws and has shown really bad mechanics. Now, the Lafayette receivers have dropped a few of Shoop's throws.

Has Witt played a night game before so far this year? In the past? Different gametime etc perhaps?

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
A really poor punt by Ethan Swerdlow gives the Bulldogs the ball at their own 42 with 1:45 left.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
It was third and long and the Bulldogs needed to come away with something after a 16-play drive. I'm not sure you could have a lot of confidence in the offense in a situation like that. I'll also give props to the Leopard defense, particularly on the pass rush.

I agree that Yale HAD to take the 3. It's just not a good omen.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
A really poor punt by Ethan Swerdlow gives the Bulldogs the ball at their own 42 with 1:45 left.

And he's been having an excellent season so far this year. Met he and his father in Fargo, ND. They are from LaJolla, CA and dad joked closest game in 4 years for him!

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Tyler McFarlane has been running hard in the second half. But Yale could use another Mike McLeod in the backfield ... or Calvin Hill.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
And he's been having an excellent season so far this year. Met he and his father in Fargo, ND. They are from LaJolla, CA and dad joked closest game in 4 years for him!

I thought one of Lehigh's kickers must have snuck onto the field for a moment there.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:16 PM
And on to the fourth quarter, Lafayette 21, Yale 12.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Mr C - quarter and time check please (QTC - for short)

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
And on to the fourth quarter, Lafayette 21, Yale 12.

LOL - never mind - great minds post alike!

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
A really nice play by cornerback Colin Babb on a bubble screen was the key as Yale forced another Lafayette punt with 13 minutes left.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM

What happened after that? I missed a few plays.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Another horrific punt give the Dogs the ball at the 50 with 13:25 on the fourth-quarter clock. And Witt hits Chris Smith in stride on the next play for a 50-yard TD toss to make it Lafayette 21, Yale 19 with 13:17 remaining.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
What happened after that? I missed a few plays.

Yale didn't take advantage of that bad punt, but the Bulldogs certainly did on the second one.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Yale tried an onside kick that didn't travel 10 yards before going out of bounds and giving the Leopards the ball at the Yale 34.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Yale tried an onside kick that didn't travel 10 yards before going out of bounds and giving the Leopards the ball at the Yale 34.

Why in the world would they do that?!?!

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Yale has been much more impressive on defense in the second half. There was some nice coverage on a play action pass to the end zone on second down and the Bulldogs contained Shoop on third down. Lafayette is going for it on fourth and three from the 27.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Why in the world would they do that?!?!

Dumb ?

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM
False start on Brad Bormann made it fourth and seven, but Mark Ross made a nice route adjustment on a catch near the sideline for a first down at the Yale 21.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Another key third down and five upcoming for Lafayette at the Yale 16.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Shoop scrambles out of the pocket for the first down and Baldwin made a saving tackle at the six. But backup QB Ryan O'Neil came in on the next play to score and make it Lafayette 28, Yale 19 with 9:15 left. The onside kick was a disaster for Yale.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Tom Williams is in love with fake punts, fake FG's, onside kicks, etc. But you have to choose your times and this was not the time

Having said that, you have to stop them on 4th and 7

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Lafayette also milked four minutes off the clock on that 34-yard drive.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Tom Williams is in love with fake punts, fake FG's, onside kicks, etc. But you have to choose your times and this was not the time

His timing for such things really is golden, isn't it? The onside kick was really poorly executed. It might have worked if the kick wasn't so terrible.

Pards Rule
Thats a lot of time for 34 yards!

Lehigh Football Nation
Tom Williams with a boneheaded call on special teams? Really?

I think that 7-0 win at Lehigh where he won on a fake punt got into his brain.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Having said that, you have to stop them on 4th and 7

Yale fans will never forget that fake against Harvard a couple of years ago.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Tom Williams with a boneheaded call on special teams? Really?

I think that 7-0 win at Lehigh where he won on a fake punt got into his brain.

That may be the last one that worked

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Thats a lot of time for 34 yards!

That's a Frank Tavani thing. Kind of like the nearly 10-minute drive that Paul Johnson's Georgia Tech team had on a second-half scoring drive today against Virginia (with former FCS coaches like Johnson, Mike London and Jim Reid everywhere).

TheBisonator
October 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I REALLY hope Lafayette wins. It makes our resume look a little better. Illinois State went to 4-3 today, so we need another win for our opponents.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Chris Smith got behind the secondary again for 57 yards on a pass from Witt. First and goal for Yale at the eight, but another bad Witt pass.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Smith almost made a great grab for a TD on a horrible fade throw from Witt on second down.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Witt really telegraphed that second down pass.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I don't understand a stretch play call on third and goal from the eight. Field goal of 22 yards for Panico is drilled wide left after a botched snap.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM
This is embarrassing.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM
The hold was caught with the ball lying flat on the ground. Panico kicked it extremely hard, but it went wide. Lafayette 28, Yale 19 with 6:01 left.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM
This is embarrassing.

Yale has certainly had its chances in this one. That is the first time in 18 trips to the red zone that Lafayette has held someone this season.

TheBisonator
October 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
CMON PARDS!!!

Lafayette 2-4
St. Francis 1-6
Minnesota 1-5
Illinois State 4-3
Southern Illinois 2-4
Missouri State 0-7

Still crappy, but a little better. Wish we weren't playing a winless team today.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
The hold was caught with the ball lying flat on the ground. Panico kicked it extremely hard, but it went wide. Lafayette 28, Yale 19 with 6:01 left.

The kicking game has been horrible this year. It hasn't mattered....until now

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM
And now the defense looks like they packed it in.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
And now the defense looks like they packed it in.

Considering how long the Yale defense has been on the field, I think the Bulldogs have been pretty competitive on that side. The offense and special teams didn't provide much help for them.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
CMON PARDS!!!

Lafayette 2-4
St. Francis 1-6
Minnesota 1-5
Illinois State 4-3
Southern Illinois 2-4
Missouri State 0-7

Still crappy, but a little better. Wish we weren't playing a winless team today.

It's odd that Missouri State is winless, considering how well the Bears played against Oregon for a half.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I noticed that too, at Lehigh, how Yale packed it in after Lehigh got a decent lead. The Bulldogs are a weird team.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Yale will get another chance with two minutes left from its own 22 after Lafayette finally hit a nice punt.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Yale will get another chance with two minutes left from its own 22 after Lafayette finally hit a nice punt.

Are there 3 point conversions?

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Yale is on the move to the LC 24 with 1:03 left.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Are there 3 point conversions?

Maybe your kicker can score a rouge on the kickoff. CFL rules.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
On fourth and one, Yale called a draw play that was stuffed. Really bad play calling tonight from the Bulldogs.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Yale is on the move to the LC 24 with 1:03 left.

More embarrassment. Can't get a yard.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
And Lafayette downs the ball to end its 28-19 victory.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Congrats to LC. They certainly deserved the win. I don't know where Yale goes from here.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Unbelievably inept play calling tonight by Yale.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Unbelievably inept play calling tonight by Yale.

Can't argue, but they still had plenty of chances, just couldn't make the big play when it really counted. On both sides of the ball (and special teams)

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM
More embarrassment. Can't get a yard.

You've got to call the right play, even if it is only a yard and a draw play certainly wasn't it. I haven't been very impressed with three years of the Tom Williams program. I'm not a big fan of NFL coaches coming back to this level. A lot of those kind of guys have been very unsuccessful (i.e. Brian Van Gorder at Georgia Southern).

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Can't argue, but they still had plenty of chances, just couldn't make the big play when it really counted. On both sides of the ball (and special teams)

I thought the defense played its heart out. They just came up a couple of plays short. The offense and the special teams didn't help the defense much.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Congrats to LC. They certainly deserved the win. I don't know where Yale goes from here.

At least there are still some Ivy League games left. Tough one next week at Franklin Field.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
CMON PARDS!!!

Lafayette 2-4
St. Francis 1-6
Minnesota 1-5
Illinois State 4-3
Southern Illinois 2-4
Missouri State 0-7

Thanks - and its a W

carney2
October 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I don't know where Yale goes from here.

How about for a brain transplant. With an entire quarter to go, Yale down by only 2, and Mo wearing a Yale shirt, Williams calls for that botched on sides kick that rips that Yale shirt right off Mo's back. Just plain stupid. Thanks, Tom.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM
How about for a brain transplant. With an entire quarter to go, Yale down by only 2, and Mo wearing a Yale shirt, Williams calls for that botched on sides kick that rips that Yale shirt right off Mo's back. Just plain stupid. Thanks, Tom.

You're not kidding. Worthy of mention, too, is that they were playing a team that couldn't get out of its own way in the beginning of the season. It's not like this Lafayette team has been known for thrilling second-half performances and gutty drives in the fourth quarter.

Having watched Yale twice this year, I'm really left scratching my head. Witt has pretty good tools for a QB - there's a reason why NFL scouts are scoping him out. But he was telegraphing passes in a big way tonight that made him look like he was regressing. Why? Poor mechanics? Bad receivers? Unimaginative playcalling?

It's pretty astounding that Yale's coaching staff can take that talent and make him look that bad.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Reminiscent of the fake punt in the '09 H-Y game. When it works, you're a genius...

Anyway, Yale needs to regroup and focus on the Quackers Next week!xnodx

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Maybe we are all over hyping Witt... he has one more INT than TDs in his career entering tonight.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Just got home from a concert and saw the score..way to go! As for Witt, he was telegraphing his throws three weeks ago at Lehigh. His mechanics are fine, but he has no confidence in scanning the field and looking off the secondary.

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Reminiscent of the fake punt in the '09 H-Y game. When it works, you're a genius...

Anyway, Yale needs to regroup and focus on the Quackers Next week!xnodx

Yale missed the onsides kick by half a yard! And no Pard was anywhere near the ball.

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Back from the game (and dinner on the square). That sure as hell beats losing, I'll say that much.

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM

I don't think they have lights... Yale Bowl is fine, it's in a neighborhood and surrounded by fields.

Fisher? Let's just say its a place you'd take your kids trick r' treating.

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Just got home from a concert and saw the score..way to go! As for Witt, he was telegraphing his throws three weeks ago at Lehigh. His mechanics are fine, but he has no confidence in scanning the field and looking off the secondary.

Witt was fine in the pocket. But when he gets rattled by a decent pass rush, he's nothing to write home about.

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Fisher? Let's just say its a place you'd take your kids trick r' treating.

Wouldn't even have to take them. They could go by themselves.

carney2
October 15th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Yale missed the onsides kick by half a yard! And no Pard was anywhere near the ball.

Is that:

Williams was almost a genius.

or

Williams is a dunce.

Pick one. I've already chosen.

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/658/statscpb.png

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Witt was fine in the pocket. But when he gets rattled by a decent pass rush, he's nothing to write home about.

Well what do you know! Sounds like Lum!! Shhh don't tell Lehigh that... they think he's the second coming!

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Is that:

Williams was almost a genius.

or

Williams is a dunce.

Pick one. I've already chosen.

Clearly a dunce believe me... they had held us since Frankosaurus returned and likely would have stopped us again.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Well what do you know! Sounds like Lum!! Shhh don't tell Lehigh that... they think he's the second coming!

Hah!..Watch the highlights of the Fordham game. Lum was under pressure a few times and because of it, found wide open receivers for big games. The thing with Lum, is that he has improved significantly from last year. It is clear that Cecchini's presence and his coaching have had a major effect on him. Having quality receivers doesn't hurt, either, but the biggest change in Lehigh has been the return of Cecchini.

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2011, 11:21 PM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/658/statscpb.png

Of those five Eli conversions on third, I think three were on the drive we held then to a FG.

Eight penalties! Bad... four on false starts.

Short Shoop worked!

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Lum >>>> Witt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Lum >>>> Witt.

Shoop and Taggert >>>>Witt

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Short Shoop worked!

Hard to tell - it was a Shoop/O'Neil see-saw all game long.

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Very nice evening at the Taj-Ma-Football. I'll be taking back a few of the negative things I've said lately about the Pardsvillian Presidentium.

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Of those five Eli conversions on third, I think three were on the drive we held then to a FG.

Eight penalties! Bad... four on false starts.

Short Shoop worked!

It was the one 4th down conversion by LC that really sealed the deal.

Go...gate
October 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Congratulations to the Leopards - nice win.

carney2
October 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Very nice evening at the Taj-Ma-Football. I'll be taking back a few of the negative things I've said lately about the Pardsvillian Presidentium.

Why? Nothing's changed on that front. Are you that wishy washy that your conscience can be purchased with one victory over a middle of the pack Ivy team? Stand strong. I, for instance, would require at least three wins to begin boot licking in Markle.