PDA

View Full Version : UNI @ SDSU Game Thread

RabidRabbit
October 15th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Da Panthers come to CAS with the UNI/NDSU cockiness that has led to opportunities for the Jacks. SDSU is 17-24 vs UNI over the years, but have the 1 win in 2009, which is the ONLY D-I loss that UNI has suffered at the hands on a D-I Dakota team.

Jacks are growing and adjusting. Panthers are the pre-season favorites for the conference title, and they haven't demonstrated that they won't win it.

TIME for some TAILGATING. THEN CHEER on the JACKS TO A WIN. Nice day here in Brookings. Upper 50's high overcast, and limited winds. FOOTBALL WEATHER.

I'M here from toasty Nawlins, so be on the look out for a white AGS (Any Given Saturday) capped guy in the tailgate and say hi!

Twentysix
October 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Lets go jacks. Im picking against you but would be delighted if you win!

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM
SDSU turns UNI fumble into points

7 - 0 SDSU 4:30 1st Q

Game webcast on ESPN360

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I am almost positive we haven't won a game on natural grass since '07.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I am almost positive we haven't won a game on natural grass since '07.

This is the first time I've seen UNI play this season. Not looking sharp so far.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 06:34 PM
...and, as if they heard me, UNI gets the INT & moves 75 yds in 5 plays

7 - 7 near end of 1Q

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
That drive looked more like it. A 57 yard run by Anderson really helped, and a heck of a catch by Sinkfield.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM
14 - 7 SDSU

9 minutes left 2Q

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Farley said before the game he thought SDSU liked to pass this year, but historically they liked to run so we are gonna focus on stopping the run. He might have to make some adjustments now though.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
UNI forces fumble in SDSU redzone, TD on 1st play

14 - 14

6 min left in 2Q

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
UNI should have been pinned on their own 1 yd line, but refs blow the call.

1st play an 80-yd bomb to wide open WR

21 - 14 UNI

4 min felt 2Q

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM
80 yard TD Rennie to Herring.

UNI 21
SDSU 14

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM
The UNI WR was wide open! Rennie has a funny throwing motion but it works.

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM
UNI should have been pinned on their own 1 yd line, but refs blow the call.

1st play an 80-yd bomb to wide open WR

21 - 14 UNI

4 min felt 2Q

Yes that was a terrible call. And SDSU blew that coverage terribly, and nobody in the Valley is gonna catch Herring especially if you give him that kind of head start.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Terrible underthrow by the SDSU QB! The Jacks are making way too many mistakes to beat the #2 team.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 07:24 PM
SDSU squanders a good chance to tie the game, goes to the well one too many times by throwing the fade into the back corner, UNI gets the INT to close out the half.

21 - 14 UNI at the half

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
UNI forced 3 turnovers first half. Traditional below avg pass defense by UNI keepin SDSU in it. Panthers still looking strong tho. excited for the 2nd half.

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
We gotta sustain an offensive drive to keep the defense off the field and give them some rest. I love quick strike as much as the next guy, but it taxes a defense.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 07:39 PM
We gotta sustain an offensive drive to keep the defense off the field and give them some rest. I love quick strike as much as the next guy, but it taxes a defense.

Yep, SDSU owning TOP almost 2:1. Yardage pretty even.

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
good lord our special teams are horrible tonite.

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
that was flat out stupid. 4th n medium..only down one score and you don't kick the FG to cut into the lead when UNI has gone 3 and out 3 straight possessions. Dumb. Unless the kicking game is poor?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
SDSU making a ridiculous amount of mistakes. The Jacks appear to have a lot of talent.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Still 21 -14 UNI at the end of Q3

SDSU QB living dangerously; already thrown 2 INT's this game, could easily be 4 or 5 by now.

NIU QB taking some hits in the 2nd half; limped off the field at one point, but seems to be OK

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Nice play, nice throw, nice catch.

UNI 28 - 14

14 min left Q4

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
TOUCHDOWN UNI. Rennie to Sinkfield. Career high for Rennie now with 4 passing TDs in the game.

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Rennie musta heard the talk of how he wouldnt win the Payton if he didnt start throwing TD passes instead of just running it in :)

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Still 21 -14 UNI at the end of Q3

SDSU QB living dangerously; already thrown 2 INT's this game, could easily be 4 or 5 by now.

NIU QB taking some hits in the 2nd half; limped off the field at one point, but seems to be OK

its UNI :) not Northern Illinois friend! :)

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
its UNI :) not Northern Illinois friend! :)

Oops!
:o

I've had it right everywhere else, tho... :)

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
crucial penalty there for the Jacks. offensive facemask on a 3rd n 9 that woulda been a first down play. 3rd n 25

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Oops!
:o

I've had it right everywhere else, tho... :)

ots all good. I'll try to work on not calling App St., App st. :) ASU :)

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM
panthers force another 3 n out. The UNI defense really clamping down. Boothby and Fort have been beasts tonite. UNI ball again.

TheBisonator
October 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM
That game two weeks from now is gonna be fun on a bun.

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:29 PM
SDSU with an obvious PI call on 3rd n long for UNI. woulda forced 4th down. Instead...new set of downs for UNI

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM
perfect pass by Rennie on 3rd n 7...dropped in the endzone...should be 35-14...FG attempt coming.

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
freshman kicker makes another FG (only missed one all year)...hits from 35yds out. UNI up 31-14, 6 minutes left in the game.

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
FG UNI

31 - 14 UNI 6 min left in the game

SDSU has played hard but shot themselves in the foot several times.

UNI has played very well, capitalized on SDSU mistakes; only UNI mistake I recall is first half fumble.

I think this game is over

Block-A
October 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
OK, now I'm sure it's over.

Good game, UNI.

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Sumner is not that good...tho i do realize it is his 4th start.
3rd pick...should seal the deal. had his slot back and RB wide open and tries to go deep and picked off. He coulda ran it for a first too. Bad decisions.

unigriff
October 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
tough win for the Cats. gotta clean it up for SIU and NDSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Rennie and the UNI front seven were outstanding.

SDSU has a lot of good players. However, the Jacks didn't do the little things needed to beat a Top 5 team.

jacksfan29
October 15th, 2011, 08:54 PM
3rd pick...should seal the deal. had his slot back and RB wide open and tries to go deep and picked off. He coulda ran it for a first too. Bad decisions.

Congrats on the win, but that's an incredibly dumb comment. He is a RS Freshman in his 4th start. I would think he's going to make some mistakes. I recall Rennie looking like absolute crap and I recall UNI fans calling for his head.

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Sumner looked great for a half of this game. I would much rather credit UNI's defense than discredit a very young QB thrown into the fire just a few weeks ago. I mean prior to the game we had forced 15 turnovers and forced 5 more tonight. Our defense is outstanding this year at forcing TOs. LJ Fort should be a serious candidate for the Buchanan award this year. Dude is a tackling and fumble forcing machine.

Hopefully Boothby isn't injured too bad because we will need him, and he makes our linebackers that much better by occupying 2 O-linemen every play.

SDSU has some talent, and will give some teams trouble this year, and probably win a game or two they shouldn't. They basically focused on our run and said Rennie you have to beat us throwing it and he did.

Good game Jacks. Good luck the rest of the way!

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats on the win, but that's an incredibly dumb comment.

griff isn't too far from being our lakesbison. Don't take too much offense.

Kemo
October 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM

Really? The freshman quarterback who threw for 354 yards against the #2 ranked defense in the country (73 more yards than the next closest opposing QB against UNI) and scored more points in the first half than UNI averages giving up per game on the season "is not that good"?

Obviously he made mistakes with the INTs, but all things considered, he actually performed better than anyone could have reasonably expected. If I was a UNI fan, I'd be giving my coaches credit for making some good halftime adjustments and for just having a solid team all around.

That said, congrats to the Panthers. You guys have a fine team this year.

Chi Panther
October 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
The kid stands in there and plays hard. But he did have 50+ pass attempts.

I'm actually shocked that SDSU didn't score more. I think SDSU started in UNI territory 4 timesxrotatehx

UNI Pike
October 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
that was flat out stupid. 4th n medium..only down one score and you don't kick the FG to cut into the lead when UNI has gone 3 and out 3 straight possessions. Dumb. Unless the kicking game is poor?

SDSU lost their starting kicker to a freak contact accident on a kickoff 1 or 2 weeks ago. If I remember correctly, he had emergency surgery on a broken ankle.

UNI Pike
October 15th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Sumner is pretty good QB. He will definitely be trouble when he gets a couple years of watching film under his belt.

achrist70
October 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
On the pregame show when Gary was talking to there Play by Play he said that their kicker tore every ligament in his knee.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2011, 12:23 AM
On the pregame show when Gary was talking to there Play by Play he said that their kicker tore every ligament in his knee.

I wonder if that's even possible. xlolx

strike00
October 16th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Sumner was very good for a redshirt freshman. I think SDSU has a QB for the future. Had a little trouble in the second half, but overall I was impressed for someone in what, his fourth start?

Not the best game for UNI, poor on defense in the first half, a little off on offense the second. hard to really complain about a 17 point win though. SDSU has a lot to look forward to in the coming years. They will be back in the playoffs in a year or two.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Really feels like the Jacks haven't been right since blowing the game in Missoula 2 years ago.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2011, 12:47 AM
They will be back... The jacks may not win the MVFC but they will see the playoffs again, and soon. xtwocentsx

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I'm probably just saying this because I'm worried about playing a rivalry game against a team that is playing for nothing but pride, but I'm worried about SDSU next weekend. They have always played the Bison tough and UNI is looming 10/29. I hope the Bison coaches are able to focus the players better than I could've. I'm so ****in pumped for 10/29!!!

Strommer10
October 16th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I'm probably just saying this because I'm worried about playing a rivalry game against a team that is playing for nothing but pride, but I'm worried about SDSU next weekend. They have always played the Bison tough and UNI is looming 10/29. I hope the Bison coaches are able to focus the players better than I could've. I'm so ****in pumped for 10/29!!!

Exactly. Big trap game. SDSU played UNI tough in this one for a while.

clenz
October 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
The kid stands in there and plays hard. But he did have 50+ pass attempts.

I'm actually shocked that SDSU didn't score more. I think SDSU started in UNI territory 4 timesxrotatehx

Yards per attempt for SDSU 6.6, yards per completion 9.6

A lot of yards, but not a ton of effenciency in the passing game. It's very similar to that of SFA the last couple years (and Hawaii and Texas Tech and Houston). Throw the ball 60-70 times per game and then stand in awe of the passing totals.

For comparason sake UNI yards per attempt 11.9, yards per completion 14.9

I would argue that in 30 less plays UNI had the better offensive performance, 7.4 yards per play to 5.2 yards per play.

Either way that Sumner kid will be scary in a couple years...if SDSU gets any kind of running game to compliment him, 2.7 ypc last night and only 2.6 ypc for the season (and it was 2.7 before last night).