PDA

View Full Version : MWC and C-USA Merge

Smitty
October 14th, 2011, 10:34 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-mountainwest-conferenceusa-merger

Looks like they are going to join into a Mega Conference, talking about 20-24 teams when they are done. So really unless they are in real need of FCS teams they won't really need many teams.

This probably will start a merger between the Big East and Big 12...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2011, 11:36 PM
This is the dumbest idea in creation. The dumbest!

The Big East is just sitting there laughing, waiting for teams to fall out of this mess of a "conference", right into their laps. Houston will go to the Big East. So will Boise. And so will other self-respecting members of this abomination of a conference.

I can see why C-USA would do this - they're a shell of a conference, sort of a leftover pile of mid-range teams nobody wants. But why the Mountain West would sign up for this is completely beyond my comprehension. What, they've been longing to relive the days of the WAC-16?

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I can see why C-USA would do this - they're a shell of a conference, sort of a leftover pile of mid-range teams nobody wants. But why the Mountain West would sign up for this is completely beyond my comprehension. What, they've been longing to relive the days of the WAC-16?

The simple idea is that a MWC-CUSA title game would lead to a permanent seat at the BCS table. If it doesn't, the two conferences go back to where they were.

At least they didn't try to add the WAC schools.

BlueHen86
October 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM
This is the dumbest idea in creation. The dumbest!

The Big East is just sitting there laughing, waiting for teams to fall out of this mess of a "conference", right into their laps. Houston will go to the Big East. So will Boise. And so will other self-respecting members of this abomination of a conference.

I don't see why C-USA would do this, they already have a conference championship game, now they have to split that money 22 ways instead of 12. The MWC needs to do something, they only have 10 teams - not enough for a conference championship game - and they were about to get raided.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I don't see why C-USA would do this, they already have a conference championship game, now they have to split that money 22 ways instead of 12. The MWC needs to do something, they only have 10 teams - not enough for a conference championship game - and they were about to get raided.

And then...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/source-big-east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee

If all goes according to plan, the Big East will end up replacing outgoing Pittsburgh, Syracuse and TCU with full-time members Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida, while adding Air Force and Boise State in football only.

According to a source with direct knowledge of Friday's Big East conference call, the conference has sent conditional invitations to Houston and SMU for all sports and Air Force and Boise State for football only. The Big East informed the four schools that if all four agree to join the Big East then the remaining schools would agree to an increase in the exit fee from $5 million to the $10 million range to show a commitment to the incoming schools. However, the six remaining football playing schools won't commit to raising the fee unless all four commit to joining the Big East in football with Houston and SMU joining in all sports.

Meanwhile, the Big East sent a separate all-sports invitation to UCF and are expecting the Knights to accept, the source said.

And then, somewhere there, Tulane and UAB cried.

BlueHen86
October 15th, 2011, 12:21 AM
And then...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/source-big-east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee

And then, somewhere there, Tulane and UAB cried.

There is another thread devoted to this topic on the "other sports" forum, and someone posted that Boise and Air Force already said no to the Big East, but I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

Smitty
October 15th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I think that we are going to see a lot more teams plucked from the two conferences but they will still have enough for a seat. We will probably see the WAC schools also picked up by the merge too.

Well some of the WAC schools, the rest will be sent back down to FCS probably.

dgtw
October 15th, 2011, 07:47 AM

The MWC without Boise wouldn't be any better than C-USA.