PDA

View Full Version : FCS BCS 10/13/11

UNIFanSince1983
October 14th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Well I am releasing these a day late, but I had a lot of stuff going on yesterday. Starting next week I will finally be able to use all of the computers instead of just going on 5 of them. Next week this should get quite a bit better.

1 Ga Southern 0.901
2 Northern Iowa 0.856
3 Wofford 0.811
4 N Dakota St. 0.801
5 Montana St. 0.770
6 New Hampshire 0.714
7 Sam Houston St. 0.659
8 Maine 0.588
9 Lehigh 0.586
10 Appalachian St. 0.552
11 James Madison 0.501
12 Delaware 0.491
13 Montana 0.424
14 South Dakota 0.386
15 Jacksonville St. 0.353
16 Towson 0.323
17 Indiana St. 0.249
18 Old Dominion 0.203
19 William & Mary 0.165
20 Richmond 0.115
21 Coastal Carolina 0.115
22 Furman 0.112
23 Tenn Tech 0.100
24 Samford 0.096
25 McNeese St. 0.096

NHwildEcat
October 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Would UNH get the auto-bid into a "bowl" then by being the top team in the CAA? I know this is just for a ranking purpose, but if we look at it like the BCS then the big conferences would get auto-bids to a BCS bowl game, correct?

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Top teams look about right. Some debated about placement, but altogether pretty good. How does it compare to the GPI?

TheBisonator
October 14th, 2011, 12:52 PM
What's the number two BCS bowl game this year after the BCS Championship, the Sugar??

Whatever game that is, NDSU would be playing Wofford in it.

Thank GOD for the playoffs.

NHwildEcat
October 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
UNH would be playing Montana, reminds be of a playoff game a few years back now...

jmufan999
October 14th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Would UNH get the auto-bid into a "bowl" then by being the top team in the CAA? I know this is just for a ranking purpose, but if we look at it like the BCS then the big conferences would get auto-bids to a BCS bowl game, correct?

Yep, you'd get the Sugar Bowl. Against Wofford, maybe? Big homefield advantage for the Terriers.

achrist70
October 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Here is how I see the bowls being divided up remembering BCS rules and what bowls get certain areas of the country.

National Title

GA Southern vs. UNI

Rose

NDSU vs. Montana St.

Orange

Wofford vs. Lehigh

Fiesta

Sam Houston State vs. New Hampshire

Sugar

Maine vs. Montana (remember no conference can have more than two teams, so the Griz are next in line)

Now if these schools can just get the 17 million dollar pay check.

joeybrownerhof
October 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Technically, a third team from the same conference can be in one of the five bowls but in the above scenario the exception would not apply and Montana would get the slot. However, that also assumes the OVC doesn't have an automatic bid. In that case Jacksonville State would slide in. Lehigh is in, as stated above, whether or not the Patriot League has an autobid since they are in the top 12. Basically it is a clusterf***. I enjoy FCS so much more.

darell1976
October 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Since South Dakota is not playoff eligible until next season shouldn't they just be automatically left off the list?

joeybrownerhof
October 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Since South Dakota is not playoff eligible until next season shouldn't they just be automatically left off the list?

Honest question. Why would it matter if they are po eligible or not? The reason I ask is I don't know fully understand the purpose of the above list.

unigriff
October 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Honest question. Why would it matter if they are po eligible or not? The reason I ask is I don't know fully understand the purpose of the above list.

Are you saying you don't understand the FBS BCS rankings then? This is the exact same except for FCS. Only difference is we don't have bowl games. Its just a fun thing to see where teams really are in the rankings and such. The What if's for FCS.

joeybrownerhof
October 14th, 2011, 02:46 PM
No Unifgriff I understand that. The question by Darrell was "should a non playoff team be on the list." If the list is computed for playoff projections in FCS then I would understand that maybe USD should be removed. If it is for what if's for FBS like bowls then I think USD should remain on the list.

In that regard since the Yotes are in the Great West (akin to Mountain West) and will assume no auto bid and not within top 12 then we would get the Great West (akin to Mountain West) top bowl bid to the Maaco Las Vegas Bowl. Vegas baby. Probably going to be a few blocked and missed field goals.

Go Yotes.

UNIFanSince1983
October 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM
USD should probably be taken off the list as should UND, as I was not including UMass, Texas St, or any of the other FBS transitionals. I was not really using it for Bowl projections. I was planning on doing playoff projections with it. So here are my playoff projections. The at-large teams were strictly taken in order from the rankings. If you have a problem with the AQ I am sorry.

Conference AQ
Big Sky: Montana State
Big South: Coastal Carolina
CAA: Maine
MEAC: Norfolk St.
MVFC: NDSU
NEC: Albany
OVC: Jacksonville St.
Pat: Lehigh
SoCon: Wofford
Southland: Sam Houston St.

At-Large Teams
Georgia Southern
Northern Iowa
New Hampshire
Appalachian St.
James Madison
Delaware
Montana
Towson
Indiana State
Old Dominion

GaSouthern
October 14th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I def think GSU has an advantage playing in the playoffs vs bowl games, less time for teams to get used to defending our "gimmick" offense

joeybrownerhof
October 14th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thank you for the clarification UNI1983. I am a fan of USD and would agree that if used for playoff projections having them on the list would probably cause confusion. Another method would be to add an asterik by them with the note (not playoff eligible). That way you won't get the "where is USD" or "where is (insert IVY league team)*" and have to explain the same.

* I realize IVY league teams are eligible for playoffs but decide not to participate.

Reign of Terrier
October 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM
The BCS rankings are irrelevant until the last week of the season :)

darell1976
October 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Thank you for the clarification UNI1983. I am a fan of USD and would agree that if used for playoff projections having them on the list would probably cause confusion. Another method would be to add an asterik by them with the note (not playoff eligible). That way you won't get the "where is USD" or "where is (insert IVY league team)*" and have to explain the same.

* I realize IVY league teams are eligible for playoffs but decide not to participate.

I agree with that. Its the if we were playoff eligible where would we fit in theory. Even though we can't make the playoffs its fun to see where we stack up against playoff teams.