PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-10

JALMOND
October 11th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late with these. I know how you all enjoy them. Computer problems and my parents are visiting both added to the lateness. But, better late than never. Last week all visiting teams were expected to win and all visitors won. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week's rankings). As usual, all are my opinion only and all are open for discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats almost snoozed on a lead late in the game against Portland State and it almost caught them. Yet they were able to stop a last minute conversion and get out with a win. Maybe a bit more difficult than they expected. This week, they stay at home and welcome the pesky Northern Arizona team. No surprises, right?

2. Montana (2)---The opposite was true in the Grizzlies game against Idaho State. Maybe it was supposed to be a bit closer than it was, but the defense showed why they are carrying the team so far. Shutting down and shutting out Idaho State led the way to a win. Now they return home and entertain a strong Portland State team.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---The improbable rise of the Eagles from the doldrums continued last week with a strong road win at Northern Arizona. However, if the Eagles expect to make the playoffs, their good fortunes have to continue. This week, they stay at the Inferno and play Northern Colorado. In their situation they cannot afford to overlook the Bears.

4. Weber State (4)---While the rest of the conference was playing, the Wildcats took the opportunity to rest and reload for the second half of the season. Here's hoping that the bye did not come at the expense of losing the momentum the Wildcats have. We'll soon find out as they jump back into play with a home game against their rivals, Idaho State.

5. Portland State (6)---Never say die, that could be the motto of the Vikings team after coming so close to sending their game with Montana State into overtime. Maybe the Bobcats thought the game was in hand or maybe the Vikings uncovered some magic but they fell short near the goal line. This week they will hope to keep some of that magic as they go on the road to Montana.

6. Sacramento State (5)---It took the wind and the rain to ground the Hornets new-fangled air attack and they played their game with Northern Colorado solely on the ground. Still, a win is a win and any conference road game is good. This week, they get a chance to regroup and jumpstart this magical season.

7. Northern Arizona (7)---One would like to think the Lumberjacks are just warming up, but soon they need to start playing some quality football. Last week they game a reeling Eastern Washington team new life by caving in at home instead of putting them out of their misery. Now they are the ones clinging to life. This week, they must go on the road to Montana State and hope.

8. Idaho State (8)---So far one thing is clear about the Bengals. They are a little bit better than last year. Just a little bit. They had a chance to follow their fans and make a noise in the conference, yet rolled over and let Montana walk all over them. If this year is going to be different, they need to start making some noise. This week they go on the road to Weber State.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---The Bears probably got the best thing they could hope for this year by relying on the weather to slow down Sacramento State and make it seem like they tried. However, their losing ways continued. This week, they go back on the road to Eastern Washington. A team that is reeling may give the Bears hope. Then again, maybe not.

wapiti
October 12th, 2011, 10:12 AM
My rankings:

1. Montana State: Untill they lose MSU stays #1

2. Montana: Last week I said ISU was no longer a push over, UM pushed them over.

3. Portland State: Nearly took down the first place team. and despite the loss PSU moves up my rankings.

4. Eastern Washington: A nice road victory for EWU. EWU has to win out the rest of their season to even have a chance of making the playoffs.

5. Weber State : Had a bye week this past weekend.

6. Sacramento State: I expected a bigger victory over UNC, but it was a road win and they are always good to have.

7. Northern Arizona: A home loss hurts.

8. Idaho State: I expected ISU to play UM closer and a home loss hurts.

9. Northern Colorado: They did keep the game close, but to lay a goose egg at home. Ouch. I do hope UNC finds a way to improve.

Walkon79
October 12th, 2011, 01:07 PM
My rankings:

1. Montana State: Untill they lose MSU stays #1

2. Montana: Last week I said ISU was no longer a push over, UM pushed them over.

3. Portland State: Nearly took down the first place team. and despite the loss PSU moves up my rankings.

4. Eastern Washington: A nice road victory for EWU. EWU has to win out the rest of their season to even have a chance of making the playoffs.

5. Weber State : Had a bye week this past weekend.

6. Sacramento State: I expected a bigger victory over UNC, but it was a road win and they are always good to have.

7. Northern Arizona: A home loss hurts.

8. Idaho State: I expected ISU to play UM closer and a home loss hurts.

9. Northern Colorado: They did keep the game close, but to lay a goose egg at home. Ouch. I do hope UNC finds a way to improve.

I generally agree with this. However NAU statistically is right up there with the rest of the leaders in the BSC, and Portland State gets another chance to prove they elong in the upper half. The cream seems to be separating somewhat, but the slate of games this week should clear the air even more, (or completely muddle it up) :)

bobcathpdevil56
October 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I agree with the latter rankings. I think PSU has proven themselves to be up in the top tier of the conference and now they get a chance to prove they belong there, and hopefully knock the grizzlies out of the playoff picture, by going to Missoula and winning. Not easy but doable with the great ground game and clock killing drives.

MSUBobcat
October 13th, 2011, 03:00 PM
First, I've been a longtime reader of your weekly Power Rankings and Predictions threads, JALMOND and look forward to them each week. Thank you for putting this out for BSC fans, especially in an unbiased manner. I agree with my fellow Bobcat fans that you may be selling PSU a little short this week after a thrilling game last Saturday (even if the 2 officials, one in front, one behind, missed McCaffrey stepping out on his long TD run in the 3rd:)). Still lots to be cleared up in conference yet, as 2-6 seems to be very tight.

JALMOND
October 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM
First, I've been a longtime reader of your weekly Power Rankings and Predictions threads, JALMOND and look forward to them each week. Thank you for putting this out for BSC fans, especially in an unbiased manner. I agree with my fellow Bobcat fans that you may be selling PSU a little short this week after a thrilling game last Saturday (even if the 2 officials, one in front, one behind, missed McCaffrey stepping out on his long TD run in the 3rd:)). Still lots to be cleared up in conference yet, as 2-6 seems to be very tight.

Thank you for the kind words. I watched the replay of McCaffrey's run many times and I noticed that when McCaffrey stepped out of bounds (and yes, he did step out of bounds), the official behind the play was screened off of it by another player. But I couldn't tell what the one ahead of the play was looking at.

I did tell the Bobcat fan sitting next to me that we got a gift on that play, even before the replay was shown.:)

Walkon79
October 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Jalmond, I also enjoy your weekly power rankings and predictions and agree that you bring an unbiased eye. With that in mind I'm curious about your thoughts on the penalty debate raging on the PSU fan forum.

JALMOND
October 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Jalmond, I also enjoy your weekly power rankings and predictions and agree that you bring an unbiased eye. With that in mind I'm curious about your thoughts on the penalty debate raging on the PSU fan forum.

I have to admit I don't spend much time on the fan forums, but I can only imagine it is probably as bad as on CS. Over here, it is much calmer. The Idaho State game, the penalties (by the way, we had 21 and ISU had 5), could be attributed mainly to the noise. A lot of false starts and delays and that had to do with the coaches as we did not work on dealing with the noise (before this year, who had to when playing there). As far as the MSU game and the personal fouls, not trying to offer excuses but this was really the first big game we've played since Walsh left (not Glanville but Walsh) and the kids may have been really hyped for it. As Burton said after the game, we need to learn how to play within ourselves and not get caught up in all the extra stuff. Burton did say on Sunday that it would be a "point of emphasis" during this week's practice and, when he says things like that, it is usually that way. It needed to be addressed as dealing with the whole Griz gameday atmosphere can really test the mettle of the opposing team. Don't take this wrong but if we let MSU get to us on our own field, playing in Missoula could get ugly for us in a hurry (I hope Bobcat fans know what I mean by that).