PDA

View Full Version : After Spring thoughts: What's your team's weakness?

ncbears
April 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Since most of college football spring drills are over, I would like to know what your teams weakness is? Is it offense, offensive line, defense, defensive line, etc.

At UNC I think receiving is our biggest struggle. Our second best wide out got kicked off the team. That leaves Andy Birkel our only threat. Our other wide outs are very young. I also think our offensive line might struggle a bit.

ButlerGSU
April 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Honestly, I'm still worried about our D.

bison95
April 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Weakness is I can't make it to all the games to cheer them on:cool:

ncbears
April 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Weakness is I can't make it to all the games to cheer them on:cool:

OK, so what are the Bisons weakness?

catbob
April 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I would say the Bobcats need to improve their passing game, QB and WRs alike. The receivers made huge strides from the first scrimmage to the last, and in fact I only remember 1 or 2 dropped balls yesterday. The QBs still look indecisive in the pocket, and were sacked quite a bit because they held onto the ball too long. That could also be attributed to some blanket coverage, however.

The Cats look solid on defense though. I still have concerns about stopping the run, however.

Stang Fever
April 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I would say the Bobcats need to improve their passing game, QB and WRs alike. The receivers made huge strides from the first scrimmage to the last, and in fact I only remember 1 or 2 dropped balls yesterday. The QBs still look indecisive in the pocket, and were sacked quite a bit because they held onto the ball too long. That could also be attributed to some blanket coverage, however.

The Cats look solid on defense though. I still have concerns about stopping the run, however.

I think your best improvement was taking Poly off of your schedule...that gives you at least one more win...or gives you a chance ot win xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DaGriz
April 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think your best improvement was taking Poly off of your schedule...that gives you at least one more win...or gives you a chance ot win xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I like you more and more. That was funny.xlolx

DaGriz
April 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I think our lack of experience playing together could get us. Lots of transfers in key positions that are going to have to gel quickly. Playing Iowa the first game doesn't help things.

CrunchGriz
April 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I didn't get to see any Spring practices or scrimmages, but from what others have reported it sounds like the O-line is still in a formative state (three new starters), the D tackles are a concern (having lost an all-conference player there), and we have one QB who looked very good in Spring ball but no proven performer should he go down.

If I had to guess, the O-line will take a bit to gel, but has a lot of young talent, so should end the season quite good, and the D-tackles will be good but maybe not as deep as we'd like. The QB situation needs a backup to step up to 'good' starter status for insurance. A year's experience may get Cole Bergquist there--that remains to be seen, and I hope we don't have to.

Other than that, the Griz look good and fairly deep this year.

slostang
April 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I think Cal Poly will have it's best offense in years and the defense returns eight starters. I do not know that it is a weakness but Cal Poly lost both of their defensive ends who between them recorded 34 sacks. Of course one of them was Buck Buchanan winner Chris Gocong. He is leaving some big shoes to fill, but we have two returning juniors who saw a lot of playing time last season and also two highly touted Rfr stepping up this season. I do not know if it will be a weakness, but it is a position where they are unproven and have some big shoes to fill.

Hopefully it will go like last year where the Mustangs had to fill Buchanan winner Jordan Beck's shoes at middle LB and Kyle Shotwell stepped in and broke Jordan's single season tackle record by recording 158 tackles.

exbearkat
April 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I think Sam Houston's weakness right now is d-line. We lost both D-tackles to graduation, and are going to be pretty young and inexperienced up front.

On the positive side, with all the experience at WR and QB returning, our offense should be back on track this Fall. In fact, one of our players feels that we are currently ahead of where the 2004 Dustin Long led team was at this same point...

“I think we are getting there,” said Pate after Sunday’s game. “This is the best the offense has looked in the spring since I have been here. I would even go as far as to say we did better this spring than the year Dustin (Long) was here. They got it going in the fall, but in the spring they struggled some. This spring we really got it going.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_115001829.html?keyword=secondarystory

colgate13
April 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM
defensive line.

catamount man
April 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Offensive line.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Tribe4SF
April 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
D-line and depth at safety. Strengths for the Tribe are QB, RB and receivers on O, and LBs on D.

MR. CHICKEN
April 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
OUR QB'S..COMPLETED LIKE FOUR PASSES..IN DUH SPRING GAME..AFTERAH 15 PRACTICES....UH KID FROM WAGNER...CARRIED DUH MOST MAIL......HALF DUH TEAM IS IN COURT...OR IN WORK RELEASE.......INJURIES ABOUND......ACADEMIC ISSUES......OUR WR's...CAN'T CATCH UH COLD.........LOTTA NEW COACHES...DAT..HAVE DISCOVERED...DUH DEER PARK...& TIMOTHY's..... KEELER's SUNGLASSES FOGGED UP........TICKETS...PARKIN'...& MEDIA GUIDE....RIVAL...OURAH NEW ELECTRIC RATES..&....GAS PRICES......PRESS BOX...LEAKS....LIKE OURAH SECONDARY......DUH HEDGES NEED UH SHOT O' MIRACLE-GROW......FIVE TUBAS...RUSTED OUT..OVERAH DUH WINTER...............HELMET HEAD's VEHICLE NEEDS UH NEW ALTERNATOR............DUH NEW BASKETBALL COACH......PUT DUH WEIGHT ROOM..OFF-LIMITS..TA OUR LINEBACKERS.....NCAA SHOT DOWN OURAH 12th GAME..WHIFF PRAIRIE VIEW............I-A TRANSFERS ARE CRAWLIN' ALL OVERAH JMU..LIKE ANTS AT UH PICNIC.........BALL & SANTOS...HAVE SENT OUR DEFENSE...CANDY & FLOWERS..........ANDY TALLEY WANTS TA PLAY US TWICE DIS SEASON.........RALPH & CAPT 'N CAT...SPURNED US FO' UH DEL STATE GAME.......OH YEAH.....AN' HENRIETTA IS EXPECTIN' OCTUPLETS........CAN'T WAIT FO' AUGUST....:hyped:..BRAWK!

Reed Rothchild
April 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
For the Panthers its defense. Losing 6 big time contributors from the front 7 will be tough for the 'Cats to replace. Fortunately enough, the backups last year played a lot and are starters now.

Tribe4SF
April 28th, 2006, 06:12 AM
OUR QB'S..COMPLETED LIKE FOUR PASSES..IN DUH SPRING GAME..AFTERAH 15 PRACTICES....UH KID FROM WAGNER...CARRIED DUH MOST MAIL......HALF DUH TEAM IS IN COURT...OR IN WORK RELEASE.......INJURIES ABOUND......ACADEMIC ISSUES......OUR WR's...CAN'T CATCH UH COLD.........LOTTA NEW COACHES...DAT..HAVE DISCOVERED...DUH DEER PARK...& TIMOTHY's..... KEELER's SUNGLASSES FOGGED UP........TICKETS...PARKIN'...& MEDIA GUIDE....RIVAL...OURAH NEW ELECTRIC RATES..&....GAS PRICES......PRESS BOX...LEAKS....LIKE OURAH SECONDARY......DUH HEDGES NEED UH SHOT O' MIRACLE-GROW......FIVE TUBAS...RUSTED OUT..OVERAH DUH WINTER...............HELMET HEAD's VEHICLE NEEDS UH NEW ALTERNATOR............DUH NEW BASKETBALL COACH......PUT DUH WEIGHT ROOM..OFF-LIMITS..TA OUR LINEBACKERS.....NCAA SHOT DOWN OURAH 12th GAME..WHIFF PRAIRIE VIEW............I-A TRANSFERS ARE CRAWLIN' ALL OVERAH JMU..LIKE ANTS AT UH PICNIC.........BALL & SANTOS...HAVE SENT OUR DEFENSE...CANDY & FLOWERS..........ANDY TALLEY WANTS TA PLAY US TWICE DIS SEASON.........RALPH & CAPT 'N CAT...SPURNED US FO' UH DEL STATE GAME.......OH YEAH.....AN' HENRIETTA IS EXPECTIN' OCTUPLETS........CAN'T WAIT FO' AUGUST....:hyped:..BRAWK!

You're tickling me, you molting masochist!xlolx

We're worse off than you, though. We don't even have five tubas!:bawling:

FL connection
April 28th, 2006, 06:12 AM
depth.....and a real passing game!! connection out!

MACHIAVELLI
April 28th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Trying to get all that talent on the field.

Tribe4SF
April 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Trying to get all that talent on the field.

Is it just me, or is Mach the new umassfan of the board?:rotateh: :D :rotateh:

MACHIAVELLI
April 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Is it just me, or is Mach the new umassfan of the board?
It is just you.

SunCoastBlueHen
April 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM

xlolx Tough times in Newark, Mr. Chicken?

MR. CHICKEN
April 28th, 2006, 07:49 AM

UMACHFAN......:nod:...............BRAWK!

UMASSFAN......:nod:...............BRAWK!

AN' DEN DERE WERE TWO............:(...................DOODLE-DOO!

DUPFLFan
April 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM
With Drake, on offense there are 10 returning starters - the new starter is at QB - so we will see a lot of 8 or 9 in the box until the new qb proves himself.

Mostly I am worried about defense. New defensive line and some new secondary people.

Coastal89
April 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM
CCU lost 3 O-linemen that were over 300lbs and replacing them will be a problem. From what I saw in the spring game we're hurting there, but the split squad format might have something to do with the way they looked. Every where else looked strong. We're really deep on defense at every position. Also on offense, we have at least 5 RB that could share starting time, at QB we have 3 year starter Thypen backed by a RS soph. and a transfer, also we'll have 2 walk-on QBs looking to impress the coaches come fall practice.

Our starting OL will be big but not too deep.
6-7 280
6-5 295
6-1 325
6-2 303
6-1 290
behind them the size and experience really drops off.

SunCoastBlueHen
April 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM
depth.....and a real passing game!! connection out!

Depth is a problem for all D I-AA teams - that is the big difference between our division and the one that offers 20+ more scholarships. Most I-AA teams need to avoid the injury bug to have a successful season as there is often a large drop-off in talent as you get into the second and third string guys on the depth chart.

Delaware's primary weakness last year was having too many guys hurt - here's hoping the Hens stay relatively healthy in '06.

bison95
April 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM
OK, so what are the Bisons weakness?

Speed, Speed, & Speed.

Need someone to strech the defense, and need to get quicker on defense in order to beat teams like Poly.

Fordham
April 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Offense - O line

Defense - Secondary & D-line

Our new HC is a def. secondary coach and has reportedly shifted some talent around to get some playmakers in the def. backfield.

Our new OC is an o-line coach who has a great reputation. Plus, we were decimated on the o-line last year so alot of big frosh. got major pt last year.

Based upon those 2 things, if I had to pick one I'd go w/Dline. We are small there and could use some run stoppers. With some big uglies we brought in there may be some recruits shifted over to the dline to compensate.

The answer here may change based upon what I see this Saturday, though.

youwouldno
April 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM
CCU lost 3 O-linemen that were over 300lbs and replacing them will be a problem. From what I saw in the spring game we're hurting there, but the split squad format might have something to do with the way they looked. Every where else looked strong. We're really deep on defense at every position. Also on offense, we have at least 5 RB that could share starting time, at QB we have 3 year starter Thypen backed by a RS soph. and a transfer, also we'll have 2 walk-on QBs looking to impress the coaches come fall practice.

Our starting OL will be big but not too deep.
6-7 280
6-5 295
6-1 325
6-2 303
6-1 290
behind them the size and experience really drops off.

Is Leach one of the projected starters?

Coastal89
April 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Is Leach one of the projected starters?
I forgot about him. He redshirted last year so I didn't see him play and really didn't pay him any attention during the spring game. He's got good size though. 6-3 305

BigDukeDawg
April 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Coastal89, are there any old Catawba College players there that you know of other than Trice & Simpkins when Bennett made the move??

txstatebobcat
April 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Our passing game. The likely starter at QB, Chase Wasson, is as good a scrambler as Barrick Nealy, but lacks Nealy's ability to throw on the run. Other than that I was actually fairly surprised at how good we looked.

Coastal89
April 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Coastal89, are there any old Catawba College players there that you know of other than Trice & Simpkins when Bennett made the move??
No others that I know of, and those 2 are graduating this year.

LBPop
April 28th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Too many unknowns at Georgetown to list anything as a "weakness", but the biggest question mark from last season should be the 'O' line. IMO it is the most important unit on a football team. They can make or break the RBs and QBs while ball control by the offense makes the Defense far better.

Freightliner
April 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Our passing game. The likely starter at QB, Chase Wasson, is as good a scrambler as Barrick Nealy, but lacks Nealy's ability to throw on the run. Other than that I was actually fairly surprised at how good we looked.

I would say our weakness will be how well the newcomers will blend in with the guys that are already here. Some of them will be pressed into duty right away.

X-Factor
April 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Speed, Speed, & Speed.

Need someone to strech the defense, and need to get quicker on defense in order to beat teams like Poly.

I dunno, I was pretty impressed with the defensive speed. The new CB's are VERY athletic and covered very well. Safeties and linebackers are probably the best NDSU has ever seen. Defensive line is the huge question mark. A few linebackers have been converted to DE's, and several JUCO's and transfers have been signed to increase depth. Judging from the spring game, I would say the D Line is not nearly as far along as it was at this time last year, but once the JUCO's and transfers get on the field hopefully that changes. NDSU has also offered Neil Brown, a DT transfer from Auburn University. There is also another Auburn transfer that played JUCO ball last year that NDSU signed. I dunno what kind of chance we have at landing Brown as he is undecided on his choice so far. The potential is there for a defense far better than last years, which actually led the GWFC in scoring defense, total defense, and pass. It really all depends on how the D Line come along.

As far as offense, the healthy return of QB Steve Walker and WR Travis White from ACL injuries is key. Both are bigtime playmakers and should fully recover, and if so, this offense is REALLY going to fly with alot of depth at every position except TE. The O-Line should be VERY solid this year as well. The need for a burner to stretch the field is evident, and I am guessing some adjusting will take place in the fall with the WR's.

ngineer
April 29th, 2006, 10:06 PM
As to Lehigh, I would say the biggest weakness is more of an unknown quality--wide receiver. There is some good size and speed there, but except for Lee Thomas, who returns, the other three will be basically untested. Could be great surprises (Donchez made a great catch for TD in the spring game), or could be searching for answers. Other areas appear solid.

DotCat
April 30th, 2006, 06:31 AM
All I can say is that in the final play of the spring game at WCU, the QB took a knee. You don't take a knee to end a scrimmage. Not sure what that means for WCU this fall?

Brad82
April 30th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Play-calling,secondary. Another 4 win season.

blackfordpu
April 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I think Sam Houston's weakness right now is d-line. We lost both D-tackles to graduation, and are going to be pretty young and inexperienced up front.

On the positive side, with all the experience at WR and QB returning, our offense should be back on track this Fall. In fact, one of our players feels that we are currently ahead of where the 2004 Dustin Long led team was at this same point...

“I think we are getting there,” said Pate after Sunday’s game. “This is the best the offense has looked in the spring since I have been here. I would even go as far as to say we did better this spring than the year Dustin (Long) was here. They got it going in the fall, but in the spring they struggled some. This spring we really got it going.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_115001829.html?keyword=secondarystory

Now, if TW can keep one QB in and not call the wrong plays at the wrong time (McNeese last season). We may see some improvement.

fuEMO
May 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Youth:
10 seniors / 23 juniors / 23 sophomores / 18 redshirt freshmen / 12 true freshmen

Defense has some holes at DT depth and CB depth but talent is there, it's just young and no experience.

Offense line is going to have 3 new full time starters, history says Clay Hendrix this bunch of young stubs will be fine.

The biggest question is quarterback but Gray looked like the seasoned redshirt junior we were expecting. Still I expected some early season glitches.

Demon Fan
May 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
DEFENSE: Cornerback. Must replace Pittman, other CBs need to step it up a notch (or two).

OFFENSE: Quarterback. Lack of experience could be a problem. The job is currently up for grabs. Two red-shirt freshmen and a returning junior with a moderate amount of game experience.

Also what could be a lack of depth on the O-Line (that's a maybe).

Texas Terror and Freightliner should be interested in this info.

kats89
May 1st, 2006, 05:46 PM
Amazingly enough, QB could be a weakness. We have 5 QB's on roster and I thought for sure it was a strength, but now with no one apparently separating themselves from the pack, I don't know who is gonna start. The rotating QB is old. The head coach needs to make a damn decision and get on with it.

exbearkat
May 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Amazingly enough, QB could be a weakness. We have 5 QB's on roster and I thought for sure it was a strength, but now with no one apparently separating themselves from the pack, I don't know who is gonna start. The rotating QB is old. The head coach needs to make a damn decision and get on with it.
According to Whitten, Pate is our guy.

blackfordpu
May 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
According to Whitten, Pate is our guy.

That is what I heard as well. I don't understand it but ok. Sorry to say but if Pate is our best QB, we could be in trouble.:bang:

LBPop
May 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
All I can say is that in the final play of the spring game at WCU, the QB took a knee. You don't take a knee to end a scrimmage.

That is a bit weird! It's an intrasquad game...just declare it over. Has anyone with the team commented?

kats89
May 2nd, 2006, 01:41 AM
Pate is only the starter for now because he did not turn the ball over this spring. I honestly think Whitten has his fingers crossed for Allen to return as starter. I am beginning to think that Daugherty is not gonna make it. I would REALLY like to see Hicks get his shot. If not, then Reever needs his chance. I have a funny feeling the offense is not going to rely on throwing as much. I bet we pound the ball more.

Freightliner
May 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM
DEFENSE: Cornerback. Must replace Pittman, other CBs need to step it up a notch (or two).

OFFENSE: Quarterback. Lack of experience could be a problem. The job is currently up for grabs. Two red-shirt freshmen and a returning junior with a moderate amount of game experience.

Also what could be a lack of depth on the O-Line (that's a maybe).

Texas Terror and Freightliner should be interested in this info.

Did Stoker announce who your starting QB was going to be?

Knowing how many good DB's come out of there I dont think you guys are gonna have a problem having another "diamond in the rough" show up.

Ivytalk
May 2nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Harvard always seems to have the same weaknesses: a leaky pass defense, erratic special teams play, ill-timed penalties, and an unreliable pass rush.

Demon Fan
May 2nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Did Stoker announce who your starting QB was going to be?

Knowing how many good DB's come out of there I dont think you guys are gonna have a problem having another "diamond in the rough" show up.
Oddly enough you may be right. One of the red shirts (who is a brother to one of the Demon wide receivers) caught the eye of everyone during the Spring Game. Stoker was noticeably encouraged in his statements for the press. The kid threw for some fairly impressive numbers; but we are talking about a controlled game among "friends". Time will tell. Oh, his name is Richard Charpentier (pronounced Shah-PON-Shay). His WR brother, Dane, is a senior this year.

I can hardly wait for October 7. The Sam Houston meeting has really turned in to a great game the past few years!

carney2
May 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
No other Lafingyet alums have taken pen in hand so I will be the first. It seems almost petty after listening to some of the comments on this thread, but I believe that the Pards' biggest weakness will be at backup QB. If Maurer goes down (maybe that should be worded "when" instead of "if" because he was out twice last year and he tends to put himself in harm's way a lot) the team is looking into a deep dark hole of the unknown. If one of the two true freshmen doesn't step up, it could be a very long season.

Most observers seem to feel that the big problem will be replacing the three all league linebackers who graduated. In my opinion, the linebacking situation is in good hands with Stovall, Romans and Reddy. By the end of the year this could be the best trio in the league again.

exbearkat
May 2nd, 2006, 07:33 PM
Pate is only the starter for now because he did not turn the ball over this spring. I honestly think Whitten has his fingers crossed for Allen to return as starter. I am beginning to think that Daugherty is not gonna make it. I would REALLY like to see Hicks get his shot. If not, then Reever needs his chance. I have a funny feeling the offense is not going to rely on throwing as much. I bet we pound the ball more.
I agree with Pate getting the nod due to default, but disagree on your take that we are going to pound the ball more. Pate was quoted as stating that the offense is farther along at this point than the '04 D. Long led juggernaut. To me, that says a ton about what to expect this season - bombs away! :nod:

I've also heard that Whitten is NOT a fan of Allen, and that NA might not be around come August. Who knows. :nonono2:

Obzerver
May 2nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Eastern Washington still has a weak to go for Spring ball but it's hard to see any real weaknesses...other than no QB, WR's, CB's, LB's or DLineman.

Kill'em
May 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
All I can say is that in the final play of the spring game at WCU, the QB took a knee. You don't take a knee to end a scrimmage. Not sure what that means for WCU this fall?
It happened at the end of our spring game, except the QB took a knee two or three times.:nonono2:

Kill'em
May 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Outside of the obvious, I see a problem in the secondary where we have to replace all of the starters from last year. They stunk, but they were experienced. I also am worried about our QB situation. Now that Jayson Foster has moved to slot receiver we are left with 3 freshmen QB's. The #1 right now is an option QB who runs really well and throws a pretty ball but waits too long to throw the ball, typical of an option QB. The current #2 holds the career passing yard record in the state of GA but was not offered a scholarship out of highschool so he went to somewhere to play baseball. He has a cannon for an arm but is a painfully slow runner and got rattled under pressure. I don't think he ever had that in highschool. I know little about the third-stringer.

With all the RB's and receivers we have, we will have weapons.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 3rd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Since most of college football spring drills are over, I would like to know what your teams weakness is? Is it offense, offensive line, defense, defensive line, etc.

At UNC I think receiving is our biggest struggle. Our second best wide out got kicked off the team. That leaves Andy Birkel our only threat. Our other wide outs are very young. I also think our offensive line might struggle a bit.

Can't I just go and get last years preview for us (or the past 4-5 yrs for that matter?_

Northwestern State

Strength --- Running back, Purple Swarm Defense,

Weakness --- Youth (or is it??) and injuries on O-Line
And by da way --- why do we line up in 3-4 Wrs sets when we STILL can't pass efficiently????

Result --- we run, we win...we can't (See McNeese State game) we lose. Typical NSU --- nothing unusual (yet).

Oh and I forgot!! WE CAN'T KICK!!!!!!!!!!! (special teams) and we will miss Zeigler (couldn't catch well and fears contact but was quick as a cheetah)

Let me quit before I think of something else.

DaGriz
May 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Eastern Washington still has a weak to go for Spring ball but it's hard to see any real weaknesses...other than no QB, WR's, CB's, LB's or DLineman.

Cry us a river. I have a hard time believing there will be a big drop off for you guys, EWU is starting to build a reputation as a power house. It's been a while since you have had to rebuild it seems, more like reloading lately. I'm sure EWU will be a force again this year and not a team to take lightly.
By the way, your QB Matt Nichols is from near my home town. He is a big time stud. They were talking about him again the other day on the local radio saying they still can't believe he didn't go Pac-10. They think he'll be the next pro athlete from the area.

McNeese72
May 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Let's see, it's hard to pin point one thing.

Okay, I got it. We are weak all over. We can't throw, catch, run, block or tackle. Any opponents out there, please take it easy on our poor young kids.

:smiley_wi
Doc

mikebigg
May 4th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Naw that's just Mach being Mach(dayum TK)...but he's right we do have a lot of talent. However, I'm concerned about depth along the defensive line and linebacker. That's always a concern with me though...I'm not one of those skills position watching fans. I measure a teams strength from tackle to tackle (on both sides of the ball).

Whaddup Mach? Coach Hawkins sends his regards. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ngineer
May 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM
No other Lafingyet alums have taken pen in hand so I will be the first. It seems almost petty after listening to some of the comments on this thread, but I believe that the Pards' biggest weakness will be at backup QB. If Maurer goes down (maybe that should be worded "when" instead of "if" because he was out twice last year and he tends to put himself in harm's way a lot) the team is looking into a deep dark hole of the unknown. If one of the two true freshmen doesn't step up, it could be a very long season.

Most observers seem to feel that the big problem will be replacing the three all league linebackers who graduated. In my opinion, the linebacking situation is in good hands with Stovall, Romans and Reddy. By the end of the year this could be the best trio in the league again.

Agreed. Although teams lose some 'name' players, the guys right behind those names many times have improved greatly , themselves, because of having to bang heads with them all the time in practice. Depth is always a key for PL schools. Maurer will likely go down sometime in the season--just seems injury prone and he compounds the risk with his running. He's not that big, so he has to roll out, but then that starts the slippery slope.
Our predicament, if Threatt gets hurt, is that the #1 backup is more of a pocket passer with limited mobility. Great arm, but it does change the style of play of the offense.

carney2
May 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Our predicament, if Threatt gets hurt, is that the #1 backup is more of a pocket passer with limited mobility. Great arm, but it does change the style of play of the offense.

Also agreed. Threatt and Maurer are the same in one respect: both are high reward, high risk players. One risk for both, of course, is injury. Maurer seems to make "good decisions" when he has the ball in his hands (at least that's the perception). The jury's still out on Threatt, and some added risk may be turnovers coming off all of that movement.

colgate13
May 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Throw Saraceno in that mix too. He put himself out last season with some injuries... the positive thing in my book is we now have significant depth (albeit young) at QB now. Maybe the PL frontrunner will be the one that keeps their QB healthy?

ErkPeterson
May 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Besides the obvious. Statesboro has been turned upside down by Coach VG. The option is gone and players have been moved all over the place for the spread offense. Not seeing GSU in the option will be hard to beleive in person for many Southern fans. It'll take time to develop and get the right personnel in the sys. Who knows, we may take like a fish to water, we have tons of talent and speed that may be able to make up for the new scheme.
Our -D was anemic last year. VG is an excellent D orientated coach. He will be bringing in a much improved scheme. Plus his fire will definately carry over to the field. Everyone is excited and a lil scared I must admit. The possibility of going 6-5 or worse is something we're simply not used to. Change is never easy (look at Nebraska). In some rare cases it is (look at Notre Dame). We shall see. Overall everyone is extremely jazzed.

PS - This is my first post on this site and definately looking forward to being a regular