PDA

View Full Version : CAA, A-10 Schools In Realignment Discussions

DFW HOYA
October 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
CAA an A-10 seem to be testing the waters for realignment. Is Charlotte a legitimate option in CAA football?

http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/courtside/2011/10/09/colonial-athletic-association-gauging-gw-interest-in-joining-league/

SideLine Shooter
October 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM
CAA an A-10 seem to be testing the waters for realignment. Is Charlotte a legitimate option in CAA football?

http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/courtside/2011/10/09/colonial-athletic-association-gauging-gw-interest-in-joining-league/

CAA better look out. Charlotte gonna open a BIG CAN of WHOOP AZZ for turning them down. LOL.xlolxxlolxxnodx

jmufan999
October 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM
CAA better look out. Charlotte gonna open a BIG CAN of WHOOP AZZ for turning them down. LOL.xlolxxlolxxnodx

I realize you're making a joke, but I thought they turned us down? Maybe I missed something. But I thought we offered them full CAA membership and they weren't interested.

HXC Niner
October 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I realize you're making a joke, but I thought they turned us down? Maybe I missed something. But I thought we offered them full CAA membership and they weren't interested.

True

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The article adds that Stuart Rabinowitz, president of C.A.A. member Hofstra University, and the president of the C.A.A. Council of Presidents and Chancellors, has contacted GW, as well as A-10 rivals Charlotte and Richmond and Boston University, to “gauge informally their interest in joining the C.A.A.”

What a weird mix of schools involved here... BU, the heart of the "kill FCS football" movement, GW, as basketball-only a school as you might imagine, and... Charlotte, a school with transparent FBS aspirations. And, for good measure, throw Richmond in the mix, who almost went to the Patriot League in football but now is, at a bare minimum a solid citizen of FCS football in the CAA.

And one of the "masterminds" is none other than Rabinowitz, who apparently killed football to "impress" the A-10, but, apparently, now wants to make the CAA work.

If GW is the school that the CAA invites and accepts, IMVHO that is a terrible, terrible idea - adding a basketball-only school precisely at the moment when CAA football is a vibrant force in FCS. Hasn't Rabinowitz learned anything from the Big East's troubles at the BCS level?

Another question that leaps to mind - why on Earth wouldn't Charlotte accept a bid to the CAA in all sports?

danefan
October 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
BU????????????????????????

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want an America East school why wouldn't you look at Albany or Stony Brook or both to sure up the Northern part of your football conference? I know its a basketball driven conversations, but jeez.......you've already got the Boston market (good chicken BTW) with Northeastern.

superman7515
October 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Another question that leaps to mind - why on Earth wouldn't Charlotte accept a bid to the CAA in all sports?

It's understandable from the basketball standpoint UNLESS Temple gets a full invite to the Big East and something happens with UMass or Xavier. If they lose two of those three or one and a couple of the mid-cards like George Washington/St. Joes, it probably becomes a lot less attractive for basketball.

ccd494
October 10th, 2011, 09:54 AM

If you want an America East school why wouldn't you look at Albany or Stony Brook or both to sure up the Northern part of your football conference? I know its a basketball driven conversations, but jeez.......you've already got the Boston market (good chicken BTW) with Northeastern.

If you aren't considering football, there's no question that you take BU. BU may have effed up by dropping football, but you can't deny that every sport they still play, they do it right. How many straight years have they won the AE director's cup or whatever it is?

SideLine Shooter
October 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM

You are right, a senior moment on my part.

WH49er
October 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM

Another uninformed Pre-K comment from a App fan. You and Apphole seem to have a complex about us.

If Xavier,Temple, and Richmond leave the A-10, I see no reason for us to stick around.

jmufan999
October 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
You are right, a senior moment on my part.

Hahaha it happens

henfan
October 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
If you aren't considering football, there's no question that you take BU. BU may have effed up by dropping football, but you can't deny that every sport they still play, they do it right. How many straight years have they won the AE director's cup or whatever it is?

Every year since Delaware left.xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Not only that, the CAA has also wrapped up GW's market as well. Honestly, I don't see much upside for the CAA at all with adding either BU or GW, and an awful lot of downside. I mean, how long is JMU or Delaware going to put up with adding two basketball-only schools?

danefan
October 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM

There is still question, IMO. Success in the conference is only one factor. The other is institutional fit and the media market the school brings.

A case can be made that either or both of Albany and SBU could present an equally favorable case as BU could.

NHwildEcat
October 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Since BU has been a sticking point in the creation of AE Football, would it make sense then that if they left there would be more of an opportunity for a AE Football conference to form?

danefan
October 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Since BU has been a sticking point in the creation of AE Football, would it make sense then that if they left there would be more of an opportunity for a AE Football conference to form?

Possibly and especially true if AEast brings in a football playing school like Central Ct. or Bryant to replace BU.

NHwildEcat
October 10th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Possibly and especially true if AEast brings in a football playing school like Central Ct. or Bryant to replace BU.

danefan, I have always respected your opinions on the AE landscape...would it be good or bad, or somewhere in between if BU left? I personally don't care about the school.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Which would mean Rabinowitz, not content with imploding the football program at his own school where he's president, could quite possibly:

* create a Big East-style instability in his own conference
* drive schools interested in playing big-time FCS football (Delaware, Old Dominion) to think about joining other conferences
* possibly driving last year's Final Four finalist (VCU), who is interested in starting up football, to the A-10
* create a strong Northeast competitor in FCS football to his own conference

All this, while bringing in two basketball-only schools that bring little value. Brilliant! xlolx

Ken_Z
October 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM
can we please get this conversation on point, how does this affect the PL and NEC

danefan
October 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
danefan, I have always respected your opinions on the AE landscape...would it be good or bad, or somewhere in between if BU left? I personally don't care about the school.

Overall I think its bad for the AEast if BU leaves.

BU adds a lot to the AEast in terms of national competitiveness in all-sports and perhaps more importantly academic reputation. It also gives AEast the Boston media market.

BU takes away the possibility of playing AEast football, but I think they add more in return to the non-football side of the equation.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
can we please get this conversation on point, how does this affect the PL and NEC

When Holy Cross joins the Big East... sorry, I couldn't type that without xlolx

49RFootballNow
October 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
What a weird mix of schools involved here... BU, the heart of the "kill FCS football" movement, GW, as basketball-only a school as you might imagine, and... Charlotte, a school with transparent FBS aspirations. And, for good measure, throw Richmond in the mix, who almost went to the Patriot League in football but now is, at a bare minimum a solid citizen of FCS football in the CAA.

And one of the "masterminds" is none other than Rabinowitz, who apparently killed football to "impress" the A-10, but, apparently, now wants to make the CAA work.

If GW is the school that the CAA invites and accepts, IMVHO that is a terrible, terrible idea - adding a basketball-only school precisely at the moment when CAA football is a vibrant force in FCS. Hasn't Rabinowitz learned anything from the Big East's troubles at the BCS level?

Why accept ANY invite right now? That all-sports CAA offer isn't going anywhwere anytime soon. Every school on the east coast is waiting till the Big East starts falling apart. Some current CAA members might be playing FBS football by the time this is all done. We can sit back and watch the show and take calls from interested parties.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Why accept ANY invite right now? That all-sports CAA offer isn't going anywhwere anytime soon. Every school on the east coast is waiting till the Big East starts falling apart. Some current CAA members might be playing FBS football by the time this is all done. We can sit back and watch the show and take calls from interested parties.

I think you have a point. Specifically, folks are looking at the Big East, and if they hold things together by raiding C-USA, who then raids the CAA, who then gets... GW and BU. xlolx

Charlotte could end up in C-USA in all sports over this. Unless the NCAA puts a stop to borderline non-BCS FBS conferences with piddly attendance, and forces them to become FCS conferences. If that happens, the MAC, WAC, C-USA and maybe even the Big East are in some sort of jeopardy.

RichH2
October 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Well Ken, given the direction of this thread. my guess is that "the dialogue wont have much impact on us" is the consensus. I would be more concerned with Army and Navy at this point.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM

When somebody posts, "Boston University will add football, join the PL in all sports."

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I would be more concerned with Army and Navy at this point.

There is zero discussion, as far as I can tell, of Army or Navy leaving the PL.

49RFootballNow
October 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Charlotte could end up in C-USA in all sports over this. Unless the NCAA puts a stop to borderline non-BCS FBS conferences with piddly attendance, and forces them to become FCS conferences. If that happens, the MAC, WAC, C-USA and maybe even the Big East are in some sort of jeopardy.

Not sure if a Texas dominated CUSA without UCF and ECU would be all that attractive but who knows?

As for the NCAA enforcing attendance figures, that won't happen. NCAA is a voluntary organization where members make the rules. If the BCS schools wanted those attendance figures enforced (some of them also don't cross that attendance threshhold figure) then it would happen; but they don't want that enforced cause they still want "patsy" games they can count toward the win column and bowl eligibility.

henfan
October 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
BU takes away the possibility of playing AEast football, but I think they add more in return to the non-football side of the equation.

OK, I'm calling BS on that one. 'Possibility' and 'AEast football' are two terms that should never appear in the same sentence.

danefan
October 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
OK, I'm calling BS on that one. 'Possibility' and 'AEast football' are two terms that should never appear in the same sentence.

Haha.

Long shot at best, but a complete zero possibility with BU in the AEast. That's my only point.

rufus
October 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I don't see much upside for the CAA at all with adding either BU or GW, and an awful lot of downside. I mean, how long is JMU or Delaware going to put up with adding two basketball-only schools?

Well, based on recent comments from JMU's AD, it sounds like he doesn't really see JMU, Delaware, etc. in the CAA for much longer. This is a comment from a recent interview in the Harrisonburg Daily News Record (it's subscription, so I can only provide a link to a repost in a blog).

Asked if a new I-A league might fit under the CAA umbrella, Bourne said, “I guess it’s always possible.” But he quickly added it’s not likely because he would prefer everybody in a I-A conference also play football. The Colonial includes basketball-only programs, such as George Mason and Virginia Commonwealth.
http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=2986

It sounds to me like a split might be coming.

UNH Fanboi
October 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Sounds like the CAA is doing everything in its power to blow-up the football conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Sounds like Hofstra prez Stuart Rabinowitz is doing everything in its power to blow-up the football conference.

Fixed it for you.

Gads, where is Uncle Buck when I need him? xlolx

rufus
October 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Sounds like the CAA is doing everything in its power to blow-up the football conference.

It's hard to keep an FCS conference together when half the conference has no interest in playing FCS football for the long run. It's clear that UMass (obviously), JMU, ODU, Ga. State, and Villanova want FBS football. It's also a fairly safe assumption that Delaware will make the jump if those other schools do. Once you take away that group, there just isn't much of a football conference left.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
It's hard to keep an FCS conference together when half the conference has no interest in playing FCS football for the long run. It's clear that UMass (obviously), JMU, ODU, Ga. State, and Villanova want FBS football. It's also a fairly safe assumption that Delaware will make the jump if those other schools do. Once you take away that group, there just isn't much of a football conference left.

Really?

UNH
Maine
Towson
W&M
Richmond

Looks like a pretty good start. I'll bet you could fill up 3 or 4 spots with out much effort.

It may be just one or two because I'm not so sure Villanova or Delaware are going anywhere

GaSouthern
October 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Not to mention your neighbors to the south...
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Jacksonville St.

NHwildEcat
October 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Really?

UNH
Maine
Towson
W&M
Richmond

Looks like a pretty good start. I'll bet you could fill up 3 or 4 spots with out much effort.

It may be just one or two because I'm not so sure Villanova or Delaware are going anywhere

It looks to me to be the top teams so far in the CAA.

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM

xthumbsupx :)

ur2k
October 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM

UMASS is making their move, where do those other schools go to play FBS?

rufus
October 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Really?

UNH
Maine
Towson
W&M
Richmond

Let me clarify. There isn't much of a CAA football conference left. I could see administration of that conference going to America East.

Go...gate
October 10th, 2011, 06:16 PM
When somebody posts, "Boston University will add football, join the PL in all sports."

From your lips to God's ears.

Go...gate
October 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
There is zero discussion, as far as I can tell, of Army or Navy leaving the PL.

Only real possibility is Navy going to the Big East for football only.

henfan
October 10th, 2011, 09:43 PM
It's clear that UMass (obviously), JMU, ODU, Ga. State, and Villanova want FBS football. It's also a fairly safe assumption that Delaware will make the jump if those other schools do.

I also want lobster every night for dinner but, alas, I've got a Campbell's soup budget.

Not sure why anyone would assume UD is doing anything that involves FB reclassification. There's just no indication that they are headed in that direction.

GaSouthern
October 11th, 2011, 06:01 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218095850174721965174.0004af03997b7fcba1ba4

Map of hypotetical A-10 FBS Football Conference

rufus
October 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I also want lobster every night for dinner but, alas, I've got a Campbell's soup budget.

Schools like JMU and ODU want non-AQ FBS status, and already have non-AQ FBS budgets.

Obviously reclassification is no sure thing, but if JMU's AD is publicly stating that he sees a move in 18-24 months, and that he envisions JMU parting ways with the non-football CAA schools, I think it's safe to assume that something is in the works.

appfan2008
October 11th, 2011, 06:33 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218095850174721965174.0004af03997b7fcba1ba4

that looks rather nice to me!

GaSouthern
October 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I added the helmets but i'm having a problem getting them to pop up.

EDIT: I just did it color coded to the schools. Works better

I left out UMass because they are in the MAC but I would not be surprised to see a team like them re-join a league like this.

49RFootballNow
October 11th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Depending on the potential bowl games this conference align with, I'd like to see Marshall, Middle Tenn., FAU, FIU or UAB added in.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Villanova in this A-10 conference? Really? xrolleyesx

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
why on Earth wouldn't Charlotte accept a bid to the CAA in all sports?
Arrogance, delusions of grandeur and complete ignorance of the way football effects an athletic department.

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Map of hypotetical A-10 FBS Football Conference
It looks good to me. Delaware, UNCC, Georgia Southern and GA State have a while to go before they are FBS worthy though. UNCC and GA State need to prove they have fans. That will take some success in the FCS first. GaSo needs to upgrade their facilities. I doubt App will join a conference that isn't at least half FBS already though. Lateral move. It all depends on the Big East shake up and who they take. I will be very disappointed when we get to C-USA and ECU is gone. Just having one rival in Marshal will be pushing it.

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM
You and Apphole seem to have a complex about us.

The "I'm from Charlotte so I know how shltty you are" complex? Lets just call it the superiority complex.

superman7515
October 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Appalachian State: 91
Delaware: 97
Georgia Southern: 63
Georgia State: 228
Jacksonville State: 153
James Madison: 98
Old Dominion: 147
Villanova: 173

Alabama-Birmingham: 187
Florida Atlantic: 163
Florida International: 86
Marshall: 96
Middle Tennessee State: 146

I would say UAB, FAU, and Georgia State are a no way. Villanova wouldn't be going anyway, if they moved up, they'd go Big East.

A league of App State, Delaware, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Old Dominion, Florida International, Marshall and Middle Tennessee State would be between the WAC and the MAC. FIU would probably want FAU, at which point it falls to between the MAC and the Sun Belt. That's a lot of bad football and basketball is even worse than that.

49RFootballNow
October 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM
The "I'm from Charlotte so I know how shltty you are" complex? Lets just call it the superiority complex.

Oh yes, UNC Charlotte is so completely ****ty. So ****ty that graduates from there make substantially more throughout their lifetimes than App grads. Just horrible. xeyebrowx

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2011/10/07/slideshow-top-nc-colleges.html

App State Starting Salary = $35,700
App State Median Salary = $63,700

Charlotte Starting Salary = $43,500
Charlotte Median Salary = $73,400

Maybe it's past time for Apphole to STFU? xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
October 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Oh yes, UNC Charlotte is so completely ****ty. So ****ty that graduates from there make substantially more throughout their lifetimes than App grads. Just horrible. xeyebrowx

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2011/10/07/slideshow-top-nc-colleges.html

Pretty sure Harvard grads get paid more than Appy grads too, but since this is a Football forum

App would wax the floor with Harvard.

Spiderbone
October 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Let me clarify. There isn't much of a CAA football conference left. I could see administration of that conference going to America East.

nope once Appy and Ga Southern leave for greener pastures the natural progression would be a merger of UNH, Maine, Towson, W&M and UR with the Southern Conference to include those teams and rename it the Big East;)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
App would wax the floor with Harvard.

No, they wouldn't. xlolx

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Save the regionally biased, rag publication bull ****. Concentrate on the key terms involved in your institution.

- trade school
- paper mill
- glorified community college
- aesthetically offensive concrete jungle
- possibly the worst grad:fan ratio in division 1
- fraudulent school name
- lack luster undergraduate admission standards

ccd494
October 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Move to Maine.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Move to Maine.

And you'll be able to see the best team in the CAA every week this fall, too! xlolx

49RFootballNow
October 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Save the regionally biased, rag publication bull ****. Concentrate on the key terms involved in your institution.

- trade school
- paper mill
- glorified community college
- aesthetically offensive concrete jungle
- possibly the worst grad:fan ratio in division 1
- fraudulent school name
- lack luster undergraduate admission standards

Troll on King of Trolls!!!! Let no facts stand in your way!

Chris Baysden
Web Editor - Triangle Business Journal

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Troll on King of Trolls!!!! Let no facts stand in your way!

Fact: App admits students with higher SAT scores and GPA's than UNCC

49RFootballNow
October 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Fact: App admits students with higher SAT scores and GPA's than UNCC

Fact: App grads make less money. That's called winning at the game of Life.

You must not have an umbrella or raincoat, otherwise I know you'd be out counting App bumper stickers and not wasting time on the library internet.

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Fact: App grads make less money. That's called winning at the game of Life.

You must not have an umbrella or raincoat, otherwise I know you'd be out counting App bumper stickers and not wasting time on the library internet.

People may be more likely to hire/pay better a mother of 3 rather than a 22 year old that's fresh out of a REAL undergraduate institution

danefan
October 11th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Alright alright boys. Either whip em out or give up the metaphorical dick measuring contest.

WH49er
October 11th, 2011, 12:51 PM
People may be more likely to hire/pay better a mother of 3 rather than a 22 year old that's fresh out of a REAL undergraduate institution

Or maybe it's because Appalachian Training School for Teachers is known for pumping out some great music education, visual arts, and parks & recreation management majors. Also, your local B of A or Wells Fargo bank teller is probably an App. business graduate. Ignore reality Apphole, suits you very well.

NHwildEcat
October 11th, 2011, 12:52 PM
It doesn't matter where you get your degree, it's what you do with it that matters most...

danefan
October 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM
It doesn't matter where you get your degree, it's what you do with it that matters most...

Its not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean......

49RFootballNow
October 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM

If I don't feed the Apptroll, who will feed the Apptroll? His fellow App fans just ignore him. Poor fella! I consider it a community service to keep this poor Apptroll going. Poor thing just wants attention.

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
If I don't feed the Apptroll, who will feed the Apptroll? His fellow App fans just ignore him. Poor fella! I consider it a community service to keep this poor Apptroll going. Poor thing just wants attention.

Check my reputation points. I was trolled first on this thread

mainejeff
October 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Stay away from BU and Hofstra if you want your school to remain focused on football..........they are pigskin poison.

superman7515
October 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Stay away from BU and Hofstra if you want your school to remain focused on football..........they are pigskin poison.

Maybe instead of Hofstra going after George Washington, Charlotte, and Boston they can convince the CAA to offer Boston, Vermont, and Iona.

49RFootballNow
October 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Check my reputation points. I was trolled first on this thread

You troll the 49ers every chance you get. I don't think there's a single mention of UNC Charlotte on this board from the entire last year that you didn't make a negative comment on. You even injected us into a thread that had nothing to do with us just so you could talk s*** about us. My sympathy level for you getting reputation points hits is extremely low.

Apphole
October 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
You troll the 49ers every chance you get. I don't think there's a single mention of UNC Charlotte on this board from the entire last year that you didn't make a negative comment on. You even injected us into a thread that had nothing to do with us just so you could talk s*** about us. My sympathy level for you getting reputation points hits is extremely low.

Pot meet kettle with your brood and threads about App/FBS in January/February. And sympathy level? I don't think you understand how rep points work. Or maybe you're confusing the word sympathy with something.

49RFootballNow
October 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Alright, Apptroll has been fed enough for one day. Go count some bumper stickers now like a good Apptroll.

Bogus Megapardus
October 11th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Is this a southern thing? Damn pleased that we won the war.

xpopcornx

GaSouthern
October 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
No, they wouldn't. xlolx

You think Harvard would stand a chance against App?!?

Wofford, GSU and App would destory Harvard this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM

This is why I wish the Ivies would lift their ban on participating in the playoffs. They're better than you think.

Sader87
October 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Beat them, maybe...destroy them? No.

Bogus Megapardus
October 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Harvard's DTs. Josue Ortiz is 6-4 260. Nnamdi Obukwelu is 6-3 270. They kicked our a$$, I'll tell you that much.

http://www.thecrimson.com/media/photos/2010/11/17/222749_1242453_630x418.jpg

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM
These southerners and everyone else for that matter needs to open their eyes with regard to the Ivy... they are good teams with pro prospects now and then. Harvard has two this year. They do not participate, but it doesn't mean they should be ignored.

Heard of Ryan Fitzpatrick?

He wasn't even the best player on the team in 2004!

Go...gate
October 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Bingo.

aceinthehole
October 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
These southerners and everyone else for that matter needs to open their eyes with regard to the Ivy... they are good teams with pro prospects now and then. Harvard has two this year. They do not participate, but it doesn't mean they should be ignored.

Heard of Ryan Fitzpatrick?

He wasn't even the best player on the team in 2004!

Sorry, I don't buy that argument. SWAC teams put tons of guys in the pros and are generally awful teams. Graduating NFL talent alone doesn't mean much. Division II Southern Connecticut producted NFL players like Joe Andruzzi, Jacques Cesaire, and Scott Mersereau.

I'm not suggesting the Ivy hasn't produced some good teams recently, but its very hard to identify them. Until the Ivy schedules and beats teams outside of the PL, it is nearly impossible to objectively rank them vs. other FCS programs.