PDA

View Full Version : Is this a problem on your Campus

JDC325
April 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
We here at GSU have had a long problem with alot of our students and Alumni being being blatantly open and closet UGA fans. Their excuses are lame but I just wanted to know if this was big problem at some of the other 1-AA schools who had a large 1-A football school close by.

AppGuy04
April 27th, 2006, 10:11 AM
We here at GSU have had a long problem with alot of our students and Alumni being being blatantly open and closet UGA fans. Their excuses are lame but I just wanted to know if this was big problem at some of the other 1-AA schools who had a large 1-A football school close by.

App is atleast 2 hours from any real I-A team, Wake doesn't count, but I think the fans overlap in NC. The only ones that don't are UNC, NCSU, and Duke.

Like me for instance, I pull for App, NC State and ECU.

MACHIAVELLI
April 27th, 2006, 10:12 AM
The ICON doesn't have that problem.

datruth4u
April 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM
No the real GSU doesn't have that problem. For those of you on the east coast The Season of the Tiger starts at 9:30.

McNeese72
April 27th, 2006, 10:19 AM
LSU

SU Jag
April 27th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Not a problem at Southern either, but we get a lot of LSU students on our campus for parties, football games,and stuff like that exspecially during homecomming week.

JDC325
April 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
No the real GSU doesn't have that problem. For those of you on the east coast The Season of the Tiger starts at 9:30.

I was reffering to the GSU with 6 national title sorry I should have clarified.xlolx Thanks for hijacking the thread:bang: and who cares about the season of the tiger unless you went to Grambling. Dont you have your own message board at the real GSU?

SU Jag
April 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I was reffering to the GSU with 6 national title sorry I should have clarified.xlolx Thanks for hijacking the thread:bang: and who cares about the season of the tiger unless you went to Grambling. Dont you have your own message board at the real GSU?

Season of the Tiger has been getting a whole lot of media attention in this part of the country and its been the subject of talk radio this mourning, and 99% of the people that called in, and including the hosts were whites who had no ties to Grambling what so ever! Stop hating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to the subject!xcoffeex

tribe ol
April 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM
We don't really have that problem at William & Mary (though many of our students and alumni are not football fans at all).

JMU has long had the problem of their students being big UVA wannabes...hence the nickname: Just Missed Uva.

GannonFan
April 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
UD doesn't have that problem - although many are surely fans of Penn St (UD brings in a lot of fans from PA) or Maryland or any of the other schools (the Northeast isn't that big of an area so there are plenty of teams to root for in a small area), it doesn't really impact their following of Delaware - I know people who will go to IA games but they won't miss a Delaware game for it - they'll wait for a bye week or a road game that they weren't going to anyway.

DetroitFlyer
April 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM
There are many, many hard core Dayton basketball fans that barely know we have a football team. A large number of folks in the Dayton area are diehard The OSU fans and would rather watch OSU on TV than attend a game at Welcome Stadium.

Husky Alum
April 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM
The true "diehard" NU fans are loyal to the core. However, there's always the shadow of Boston College (or UCH as we call it in New England) that's cast over NU.

The casual NU fans have been heard to go to UCH games because it's the "in thing" to do.

I'd say the casual NU fans' children are the ones I'm concerned about because you'll see them cheering for UCH as well because UCH is seen as the "local" team.

bandl
April 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM
We don't really have that problem at William & Mary (though many of our students and alumni are not football fans at all).

Could have something to do with the anti-depressant meds that the Mary & Bill students/grads are on... xcoffeex

colgate13
April 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Kinda mentioned earlier, but our problem wouldn't be a specific I-A taking the attention but rather all of them - all on ESPN/2/College all the time from the comforts of a dorm/frat where you can drink.

If there was any one I-A team in particular (and this is probably true at a lot of places like Colgate) that students root for and it makes no sense, it would be Notre Dame.

jstate83
April 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Nope ...................Not at JSU.
It's Blue and White or nothing.

We can't even get the so-called BIG 3 here to play us.
USM did it ......................2 times in 20 years.

USM got lucky on a last minute Toney Shell punt return in 1987 for the win and 3 years ago, we didn't have the horses to hang.:nod:

Ole Miss and Ms. State would rather bring in 1-aa teams from 2000 miles away than play us.

So ......................No JSU fan is a closet fan of any other school here.

HiHiYikas
April 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM
North Carolina is not a college football state. Boone is about the only place where good football is played year in and year out in NC. Furman knows what this is like down in SC.

A problem is that Western NC is so close to Tennessee, where there's more Volunteer Orange than anybody should ever have to look at. It spills into NC quite a bit, unfortunately.

When it comes to college basketball, forget about it. App State could go all George Mason one year and, by the next season, there'd still be more Duke and Carolina shirts than ASU shirts around campus.

I think it has to do with what you watched growing up. I was taken to numerous ASU games as a kid, and became a lifelong fan. My going to the school solidified it. I didn't watch college football on TV.

A lot of former Kidd-Brewer kids like me did watch a lot of Duke and Carolina Basketball on TV. That's where the fan-ship develops, and those habits are hard to break.

dbackjon
April 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM
NAU has many ASU and UofA fans - the curse of not being "The State" school.

Freightliner
April 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Here at Texas State we have 2 versions of the closet fan.

1. The University of Texas closet fan.
2. Texas A&M University closet fan.

Both are blatant groups of fans and will stick their :twocents: where it isnt necessary.

Case in point: (this was an incident that was talked about at Bobcatfans.com) Live shot on an Austin TV station from Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos talking about our win in one of the playoff games (sorry dont remember which one) and having a father raise his small child up during the live shot and urge him to say HOOK EM HORNS!! and flash his horns.

geesh!:nonono2:

OL FU
April 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM
North Carolina is not a college football state. Boone is about the only place where good football is played year in and year out in NC. Furman knows what this is like down in SC.

A problem is that Western NC is so close to Tennessee, where there's more Volunteer Orange than anybody should ever have to look at. It spills into NC quite a bit, unfortunately.

When it comes to college basketball, forget about it. App State could go all George Mason one year and, by the next season, there'd still be more Duke and Carolina shirts than ASU shirts around campus.

I think it has to do with what you watched growing up. I was taken to numerous ASU games as a kid, and became a lifelong fan. My going to the school solidified it. I didn't watch college football on TV.

A lot of former Kidd-Brewer kids like me did watch a lot of Duke and Carolina Basketball on TV. That's where the fan-ship develops, and those habits are hard to break.

I can't agree with that in SC. South Carolina is a college football state. The difference in South Carolina is that no matter what the rest of the world thinks (Clemson or Carolina being mediocre or a big time) most South Carolinians think the programs are big time. The entire state, except for those of us who know better, is divided up between Carolina and Clemson. If you polled the football fans in the state 80% would be at one of their games, watching one of their games on TV or listening to it on the radio.

datruth4u
April 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Well it seems as if the Detroit Free Press cares about it. That's in Grambling right? Or how about the Hollywood Reporter? Hmmm, for some odd reason I don't think that they are in Grambling either.:nono: It's funny that Georgia Southern has six national titles but the media doesn't care about them. Hmmmm, that has to hurt your little feelings that Georgia Southern has all these accolades and awards and yet NO PUBLICITY. That has to have you guys doing this :bang: But then again who cares about the show, that a lot of these newspapers are writing about.:confused:

OrneryAggie
April 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Here at UCD nobody is a closet fan. They're all openly Cal and UCLA fans. Though you might find a few closet Stanford fans.

GeauxLions94
April 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM

You have La Tech (five minutes) and ULM (half-hour) from you. We're talking about REAL I-A programs :rolleyes:

MACHIAVELLI
April 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM

The ICON has more than 6 titles....

Carry on

slostang
April 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM
You will see students wear USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Cal gear at Cal Poly.

HIU 93
April 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Don't you have your own message board at Redneck U? I mean Georgia Southern?

Bear Fan 101
April 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM
At UCA there is, and in the area, since most people in the state of Arkansas consider it a Razorback Only state, there are tons of students who wear their Hog hats shirts and everything else. I dont even think you could call it a closet thing. Back when I was at UCA except for a few die hards, it was almost as if the UCA fans were the closet fans. Granted back then we were D2 so it's not like the U of A's or UCA's paths would ever cross in any sport ever. But now things could change a bit in that department. I doubt it will, but at least now it could conceivably happen.

I will give credit where credit is due, since I have left, the student involvement, participation, and spirit levels have increased dramatically at UCA, so hopefully with the move up that will continue.

April 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM
...It's funny that Georgia Southern has six national titles but the media doesn't care about them. Hmmmm, that has to hurt your little feelings that Georgia Southern has all these accolades and awards and yet NO PUBLICITY...Georgia Southern was featured on CSTV a while back... that preseason show they had. It was pretty good too.

JMU Duke Dog
April 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM

JMU has long had the problem of their students being big UVA wannabes...hence the nickname: Just Missed Uva.

So W&M people now know JMU better than actual JMU people? Some of us actually chose JMU over UVA believe it or not. The only problem in regards to seeing I-A fans around JMU's campus is with our female population. Due to the lopsided female to male ratio, many JMU girls have boyfriends at VT and UVA so they cheer for VT and UVA.

HiHiYikas
April 27th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I can't agree with that in SC. South Carolina is a college football state. The difference in South Carolina is that no matter what the rest of the world thinks (Clemson or Carolina being mediocre or a big time) most South Carolinians think the programs are big time. The entire state, except for those of us who know better, is divided up between Carolina and Clemson. If you polled the football fans in the state 80% would be at one of their games, watching one of their games on TV or listening to it on the radio.
What I mean to say is that the only consistently good college football in SC is played in Greenville.

AndrewFU21
April 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Most of the people at Furman will go to the football games and cheer for the team, but they'll have a I-A team that they grew up following. Then, during basketball season, nobody gives a damn about the team really. We have people from all over, so there isn't really a particular school that you see a lot of gear from.

Killtoppers90
April 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM
WKU (EKU, Murray State, and even Morehead St) has this problem. Everyone in the state is about UK basketball. And unitl UK gets a football team worth putting on the field - it will remain that way. There is little support, as a whole, for any football in KY. You will find little pockets of support, mainly in Richmond, but it is a small percentage.

Umass74
April 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM
No, not at UMass. Most UMass fans would rather have nails pounded into their foreheads than cheer for UConn.

Many UMass students are from Boston and, as you know, Boston is a tribal town. The B.C. fans are B.C. fans. Everybody else hates them :D

Green Cookie Monster
April 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Yep, we have Cal and Stanford crap shoved down our throat and both schools are 100 miles away. But then Sacramento has an inferiority complex and only feel's 'big time' associating with the Bay Area's teams. Same for the Giant's and A's.

JoshUCA
April 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
At UCA there is, and in the area, since most people in the state of Arkansas consider it a Razorback Only state, there are tons of students who wear their Hog hats shirts and everything else. I dont even think you could call it a closet thing. Back when I was at UCA except for a few die hards, it was almost as if the UCA fans were the closet fans. Granted back then we were D2 so it's not like the U of A's or UCA's paths would ever cross in any sport ever. But now things could change a bit in that department. I doubt it will, but at least now it could conceivably happen.

I will give credit where credit is due, since I have left, the student involvement, participation, and spirit levels have increased dramatically at UCA, so hopefully with the move up that will continue.
I agree, just in my 4 wonderful years at UCA ('01-'05) things changed alot as far as students getting involved in sports...especially football (thanks to The Bear Den!) But I don't know how I move up in basketball will affect people and their feelings about being piggie fans??? Granted as long as a certain AD remains up there in piggie land we will never play them unless we are in the NCAA's or NIT...oh wait they are too good to play in the NIT. LOL!!!

UNI MadCat
April 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Hard to believe no UNI fans have chimed in before me but to say that the problems we face having 2 BCS schools within a 2 hour drive of Cedar Falls (in Ames and Iowa City) hurts us royally. I would say the Hawkeye love is much more prevalent than Cyclone love, but they are both there. I think there is a gradual shift with the recent success for UNI on the gridiron and the hardwood, but its a tough road. When I was a freshman in '97 my dorm floor walked as a group to the UNI/Iowa basketball game in the Dome and at least 75% of the guys were wearing Iowa stuff. I get the feeling now that would be reversed. Though I dont think people have actually stopped being Iowa/ISU fans, its just that they are more likely to have 2 favorite teams now where as in the past they were pretty apathetic towards UNI sports. But still, even with the growing popularity on campus, if there is a big game down the road on a Saturday, you can bet that far too many people are giving attention to that, rather than the UNI game in the Dome. It sucks but its improving.

Another problem I constantly deal with from my ISU an Iowa fan friends is that they never understand that we are D-I. That's why I'm very excited about the name change.

walliver
In South Carolina you are required to pick between South Carolina and Clemson near the end of every football season. Most Wofford students will have some allegiance to the Kitties or the Chickens, but generally attend the Wofford games and usually wear appropriate clothing. I don't think many of them stay in the dorm to watch USC or Clemson play while there is a Terrier game going on.

Ivytalk
The true "diehard" NU fans are loyal to the core. However, there's always the shadow of Boston College (or UCH as we call it in New England) that's cast over NU.

The casual NU fans have been heard to go to UCH games because it's the "in thing" to do.

I'd say the casual NU fans' children are the ones I'm concerned about because you'll see them cheering for UCH as well because UCH is seen as the "local" team.

What's UCH? University of Chestnut Hill? ;)

Harvard people don't care about BC with respect to any sport except ice hockey. In the wintertime, we do hate those Notre Dame rejects!

SactoHornetFan
April 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM
You will see students wear USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Cal gear at Cal Poly.

At SAC, there are a lot of closet Cal fans. Not so much the other schools.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM

MACH,

I hear the local University of Louisiana - Monroe alumni and students are closet Grambling (GSU) fans too.

ButlerGSU
April 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Carry on

Conference titles? Come on Gram, we're talking about I-AA National Championship titles. This is a I-AA board you know...:smiley_wi

ncbears
April 27th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I am glad this topic was brought up. I hate going on campus at UNC when I work out and see students wearing other schools gear. We have a lot of students from the front range area who are CU, CSU fans so I see those people and it makes me cringe!
CU and CSU are both within an hour of UNC. I mostly see CU gear on campus. Drives me nuts!

BDK@YSU
April 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM
You know you have this problem when people would rather stay home and watch a football game on TV rather than come out and support the local team.

Case in Point:
Ohio State fans apparently decided to stay home and watch the Bucks shellac the Northwestern Wildcats, rather than show up and watch the 'Guins battle for their playoff lives against WKU on an uncharacteristically, unbelievably nice Saturday afternoon in November. The sun was shining and it was 60 freaking degrees Fahrenheit outside. The total attendence? 12706. The crowd looked smaller than that, for damn sure.

I don't know. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations. :smiley_wi

ncbears
April 27th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I must add that UNC spirit is much better from when I graduated in 2002. Mostly because we are D1 now and we're gearing for the Big Sky. More and more students are excited about that prospect. Now we just have to win at the d1 level and things will get much better.
:nod:

OL FU
April 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
What I mean to say is that the only consistently good college football in SC is played in Greenville.

Agreed. But you are right North Carolina is significantly basketball country

Unless you are from Orangeburg

Sorry Conway, you haven't played long enough

rokamortis
April 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
In South Carolina you are required to pick between South Carolina and Clemson near the end of every football season. Most Wofford students will have some allegiance to the Kitties or the Chickens, but generally attend the Wofford games and usually wear appropriate clothing. I don't think many of them stay in the dorm to watch USC or Clemson play while there is a Terrier game going on.

Yep. It does appear that at birth you are chosen to be either a South Carolina or Clemson fan. So Coastal isn't any different than the other SC schools except that we also have a large out of state contigent so they may be fans of Michigan, Rutgers, UVA, Ohio, Georgia, Syracuse ... whatever.

But I must say that the students and community have embraced us well so far. We have dual fans that will go to a CCU game and then a USC game or vice versa. Our area also has a large number of transplants that have no Clemson or SC ties so the seem to support us.

catbob
April 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Montana State doesn't have that problem necessarily, but we do have one that I have noticed (maybe I'm off-base). It seems to me there quite a bit of the students who attend the games aren't necessarily Bobcat fans as they are just bored. We have a pack of rabid alumni and a hardcore group of students, but a lot of the students don't wear any Bobcat gear whatsoever to the games. And a lot of them come just to tailgate and never go inside. And we still managed to sell out every game but one last year - imagine if we could get even more students to become Bobcat fans. The stadium expansion talk would make total sense.

But no, there really isn't a problem of people being a huge fan of other teams, although a lot of MSU students are from out of state and had previous allegiances (hopefully we can change that).

JDC325
April 27th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Well it seems as if the Detroit Free Press cares about it. That's in Grambling right? Or how about the Hollywood Reporter? Hmmm, for some odd reason I don't think that they are in Grambling either.:nono: It's funny that Georgia Southern has six national titles but the media doesn't care about them. Hmmmm, that has to hurt your little feelings that Georgia Southern has all these accolades and awards and yet NO PUBLICITY. That has to have you guys doing this :bang: But then again who cares about the show, that a lot of these newspapers are writing about.:confused:

Quit trying to hijack the thread and get a life. xidiotx

SU Jag
April 27th, 2006, 06:13 PM
You have La Tech (five minutes) and ULM (half-hour) from you. We're talking about REAL I-A programs :rolleyes:

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: Get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nonono2: :nonono2:

PMB4Life
April 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
The change at UNI is a gradual but obvious one. The mentality of a core group of UNI students (myself included) is that UNI stands alone, and is not inferior to Iowa or Iowa State. This is understandably more prevalent in basketball than football, but it's a slow movement that seems to have started since I got here.

I remember the Friday of Homecoming we had a "Wear Purple" Day all across the Cedar Valley and especially on the UNI campus. There was one guy I saw who still wore an Iowa shirt, obviously pleased with himself as if he were teaching those no-good UNI students who support their own school (God forbid) a lesson. Lucky for me there was a kid coming from the other direction who saw his shirt too and said "Nice shirt, ***hole."
This year in football the student section started chanting "BRING ON IOWA!" after we beat Minnesota-Duluth along with cheering after it was announced that Iowa had lost.

Things like that make me feel like there's hope. In order for things to change however, it has to start with the students who will procure their love for their home institution above and forsake all others, who will in turn raise their kids the same way. That's sort of a macabre way of looking at things, but it's effective. I think it's also starting to show results, too.

HI54UNI
April 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Part of our problem at UNI is that we get no love from the major media outlets in the state. UNI isn't on TV very often and is always buried on page 6 of the sports section on Sunday (unless we play Iowa or Iowa State). Kids in the state grow up hearing about the @$#%^& Iowa Hawkeyes and get brainwashed into being their fans. Hopefully with continued success things will continue to improve.

da_bears
April 27th, 2006, 08:43 PM
In Springfield, MO there are NO Missouri State football fans, they are all Mizzou, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Notre Dame, or some other bigtime school fans.

On the other hand, the Missouri State Bears basketball teams are very popular and are the talk of the town. The basketball team got games on FSN, ESPN 2 and ESPNU while the Football team didn't get a single game on TV last year. Thats why they have no local support, nobody knows they even exist.

ASU Kep
April 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I think this is a much bigger problem for our basketball team than our football team, for obvious reasons. You'll almost never see a "NC State Football" shirt on ASU's campus (with the game in Sep, I'd be pretty pissed if I did), but you'll see a whole lotta Duke/UNC Basketball stuff. Not surprisingly, our basketball attendance/support sucks. : smh : :(

GAD
April 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Not a problem at all as a matter of fact if LSU plays early during the day it is not uncommon to see there players at Southern games that night. I remember in '95 I think LSU played at Texas A&M in an afternoon game they flew back into Baton Rouge an many came to the Southern vs. Northwestern State game by the 3rd quarter half of LSUs team was of the track behind the Southern bench.

SU Jag
April 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Not a problem at all as a matter of fact if LSU plays early during the day it is not uncommon to see there players at Southern games that night. I remember in '95 I think LSU played at Texas A&M in an afternoon game they flew back into Baton Rouge an many came to the Southern vs. Northwestern State game by the 3rd quarter half of LSUs team was of the track behind the Southern bench.

Their player spent more time at SU than they did at their own campus!:nod: We were very close to the players at LSU, most of us played with them in high school. LSU always had some nice looking women that use to make visits to SU too:D

ngineer
April 27th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Closest I-A school to Lehigh is ....Rutgers? So not much problem there. There a lot of Penn State fans all over PA, so such a following is expected, but it doesn't crowd our turf. In fact, Lehigh football outdistances Penn State football on the local radio ratings.

GAD
April 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Their player spent more time at SU than they did at their own campus!:nod: We were very close to the players at LSU, most of us played with them in high school. LSU always had some nice looking women that use to make visits to SU too:D
In 2004 during the SU vs S.Dakota St. game. I ran into LSU QB Marcus Randall at the concession stand they play Miss. State earlier that day

SU Jag
April 27th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Marcus Spears and the crew use to be on-campus a lot. His dad played with my dad at Southern back in the 70s.

datruth4u
April 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Quit trying to hijack the thread and get a life. xidiotx

Hijack the thread! xlolx Hijacking a thread, that comment is two funny. How about Georgia Southern hijack some media coverage. How do you get mad over something you can't control? That would indicate you don't have a life by posting this thread.:doh: I just stated the obvious GSU doesn't have this problem, and won't have this problem.

jsualum97
April 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Jax State, Samford, Troy, UAB, and every other school in Alabama has the problem because of Alabama and Auburn. If UA or AU isn't doing well, then the problem isn't near as bad, but if they are both in the top 25, you might as well forget about it. Can't get any press, tv coverage, or anything.
2 years ago Jax. St. played Auburn at home in Women's Basketball, and I noticed a lot of Auburn t-shirts in the crowd, and thought that AU must have brought a big crowd with them. Then, I really looked and it was some of our local fans wearing these shirts. I was furious!!! I am glad JSU beat that arse for them.

MarkCCU
April 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM

it's becoming that way with CCU and in the future, Charleston Southern

SU Jag
April 28th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Jax State, Samford, Troy, UAB, and every other school in Alabama has the problem because of Alabama and Auburn. If UA or AU isn't doing well, then the problem isn't near as bad, but if they are both in the top 25, you might as well forget about it. Can't get any press, tv coverage, or anything.
2 years ago Jax. St. played Auburn at home in Women's Basketball, and I noticed a lot of Auburn t-shirts in the crowd, and thought that AU must have brought a big crowd with them. Then, I really looked and it was some of our local fans wearing these shirts. I was furious!!! I am glad JSU beat that arse for them.

Not really! Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Miles, and Tuskegee fans are pretty loyal and so is their student body. They usually get kids from the other campuses to come to their games. The whole "the state is divided" myth is just what it is, a myth.

The Gadfly
April 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I grew up a Citadel fan (dad's a '72er) wearing Baby Blue surrounded by garnet and orange 1-A junkies in SC. I've hated 1-A ever since :nod: .

Blue
April 28th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Georgia Southern's demographics are very diverse unlike your school which is 'hip hop' U.

Without looking it up want to bet more black students attend Georgia Southern than the combined total of white students at Grambling, Southern or Hampton Hip Hop U's?

Blue
April 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Wow how impressive. BET decides to create a show about college football. The very nature of BET programming excludes the vast majority of colleges & universities because they don't fit the profile.

If there was a WET and they wanted to created a show about the REAL icon of IAA football it would be about GEORGIA SOUTHERN.

Blue
April 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Hijack the thread! xlolx Hijacking a thread, that comment is two funny. How about Georgia Southern hijack some media coverage. How do you get mad over something you can't control? That would indicate you don't have a life by posting this thread.:doh: I just stated the obvious GSU doesn't have this problem, and won't have this problem.

Hate to tell you but the vast majority of college football fans don't pay any attention to HBCU football. The vast majority of college football fans don't watch the BET network either.

I give Grambling it's due. Grambling is the icon of black college football. But that sort of pales in comparison to being the icon of IAA football.

jstate83
April 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Oh gawd..................could yall please just SHUT UP.

Bottom line is Georgia Southern was chosen for nothing....................GRAM was.:nod:

All this "If" crap still ain't gonna change the fact that GRAM WILL be showcased and Georgia Southern will not.:eyebrow:

Please let the "envy" go............................and this is comming from a LONG TIME GRAM HATER.........................A JSU TIGER................THE REAL TIGER!!xlolx xlolx

Blue
April 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Gram will be (to use your word) showcased on BET. Big deal.

I think you ought to shut your pie hole.

OL FU
April 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
it's becoming that way with CCU and in the future, Charleston Southern

:eyebrow: :)

Blue
April 28th, 2006, 02:32 PM

We have a very active message board. Does Hip-Hop Hampton have a message board?

jstate83
April 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM

So why are you so worried about a BLACK college being showcased on a network geared towards BLACK people.:eyebrow:

If they had a "I don't GAF" network ....................then I'm sure YOUR school would be featured.xlolx xlolx

But anyway..........Thank's for letting your TRUE feeling's show through..................like that's a surprise.:rolleyes:

And how "stiff" can you get ........................PIEHOLE.xlolx
You sound like a bad sit-com.xlolx

OL FU
April 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
So why are you so worried about a BLACK college being showcased on a network geared towards BLACK people.:eyebrow:

Itf they had a "I don't GAF" network ....................then I'm sure YOUR school would be featured.xlolx xlolx

Thank for letting your TRUE feeling's show through..................like that's a surprise.:rolleyes:

And "stiff" can you get ........................PIEHOLE.xlolx
You sound like a bad sit-com.xlolx

What's a GAF?:confused:

jstate83
April 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM
We have a very active message board. Does Hip-Hop Hampton have a message board?

More "shaded" views.

HIP-HOP HAMPTON.

Keep typing DAVID.xlolx xlolx

jstate83
April 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
What's a GAF?:confused:

GIVE A *****................:eyebrow:

OL FU
April 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
GIVE a *****................:eyebrow:

Oh xlolx :p :D

Hell it took me weeks to figure out what a PWC was:o:)

jstate83
April 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep.................I learn internet lingo through trial and error.xlolx

Panther88
April 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM

This is the kid we abused in jr high/high school. lol

"GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY BOY!!!!"
"PUT MY LUNCH TREY UP!!!"
"GO FETCH MY BOOKS BOY!!!"
"GO GET MY ARM PADS!!!!"
"WRAP MY ANKLE UP GOOD!!!!" xlolx

DUPFLFan
April 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM
UNI MadCat - Your team is #3 in the state - what about #4 Drake, I've even seen UNI shirts on campus...

SU Jag
April 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hate to tell you but the vast majority of college football fans don't pay any attention to HBCU football. The vast majority of college football fans don't watch the BET network either.

I give Grambling it's due. Grambling is the icon of black college football. But that sort of pales in comparison to being the icon of IAA football.

But they pay attention to Georgia Southern though! Right:rolleyes:

SU Jag
April 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Wow how impressive. BET decides to create a show about college football. The very nature of BET programming excludes the vast majority of colleges & universities because they don't fit the profile.

If there was a WET and they wanted to created a show about the REAL icon of IAA football it would be about GEORGIA SOUTHERN.

LOL at WET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Blue
April 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM
GIVE A *****................:eyebrow:

Exactly brother man. Nobody gaf about you or your 'real tigers'.

How's the 'real tigers' been doing lately? Still looking for that 1st playoff win? I've seen JSU play before. Big fat guys that couldn't move. Witnessed 'Jawga Suthern' bust your boys a new un in '85 at Paulson Stadium on the way to a National Championship.

So once again. Shut your piehole. When you open it nothing comes out of it but lame azz mediocre smack. Mediocre. Now that's a word a JSU'er should understand. Actually though mediocre is a bit of an ambitious for JSU. What is a rung below mediocre? Hmmmm ... dunno the answer to that one. From now on when a team is less than mediocre they can just be refered to as 'Jacksonest'.

Hey I know ... screw football let talk about bands. BTW ... that's called sarcasm.

PMB4Life
April 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Can't we all just get along?

Does anyone find it the LEAST bit surprising that BLACK Entertainment Television would show BLACK College Football? Yeesh. That goes for BOTH sides of this really inane argument.

Oh, and we DO have WET... it's called ESPN.

PMB4Life
April 29th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Please note: That was a jab at ESPN. Have you SEEN Cold Pizza? Does it get any WHITER than that?

MarkCCU
April 29th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Does anyone find it the LEAST bit surprising that BLACK Entertainment Television would show BLACK College Football? Yeesh. That goes for BOTH sides of this really inane argument.

Oh, and we DO have WET... it's called ESPN.

I think that has been proven to be a No

SU Jag
April 29th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Please note: That was a jab at ESPN. Have you SEEN Cold Pizza? Does it get any WHITER than that?

I dont see where you're going with the ESPN=WET thing?:confused: I can see if you said CMT or something.

PMB4Life
April 29th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Oh come now... when you think "sports," do you think THIS group of hardcore WASPs?

http://www.cableworld.com/include/magazine/cw/122004/cold_pizza.jpg

and in the future, CMT is not WET. Most white people try as hard as possible to distance themselves from Larry the Cable Guy.

SU Jag
April 29th, 2006, 09:26 PM
H#LL, no but ESPN does have my boy Stephen A. Smith and it gets no blacker that that!:nod: Well, maybe Micheal Irvin.

Go...gate
April 29th, 2006, 09:32 PM
It's arguments like this that take away from the fun of this board. I saw Season of the Tiger and it was very good; it gives a much better feel for the Grambling football tradition and the class of its program. At the same time, Georgia Southern is also a classy, winning program which has proved its own worth under the I-AA play-off system. IMO, there is room for both, though I still believe that the SWAC and its brethren should participate in the play-offs.

SU Jag
April 29th, 2006, 09:38 PM
It's arguments like this that take away from the fun of this board. I saw Season of the Tiger and it was very good; it gives a much better feel for the Grambling football tradition and the class of its program. At the same time, Georgia Southern is also a classy, winning program which has proved its own worth under the I-AA play-off system. IMO, there is room for both, though I still believe that the SWAC and its brethren should participate in the play-offs.

Great opinion!:hurray: I can respect that!

rufus
April 30th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Sorry to get back on topic.

Having actually attended JMU, I can say that most students I knew absolutely despised UVA. The others were just kind of ambivalent toward UVA. There wasn't much love toward VT either. If anything, it was the kids from Maryland who refused to give up their Terps that bothered me most. Maryland kids are mostly diehard Terp fans, and they probably make up at least 10% of the JMU population.

MACHIAVELLI
April 30th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Conference titles? Come on Gram, we're talking about I-AA National Championship titles. This is a I-AA board you know...:smiley_wi

I wasn't talking about conference titles we have 21 of those.

You won't find any people from THE ICON walking around with Tech or ULM gear.

Tealblood
April 30th, 2006, 07:42 AM
At Coastal we have "hardcore fans" who will go to game in Columbia(gamecocks) and get back in time for the second half of the Coastal game. Or worse yet we will have all of the TV's on in the hospitality suite on the USC game while ours is going on and a huge group of people will be gathered around the TV.

MACHIAVELLI
April 30th, 2006, 07:43 AM

blackfordpu
April 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Students at Sam arn't closet fans at all, they wear their Texas A&M shirts for all to see. :bang:

TheValleyRaider
April 30th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I don't think you'll find too many people from Tech or ULM wearing that gear either. :rotateh: xlolx

datruth4u
April 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Blue,
You have to be the most ignorant person on this board. You are calling WET ESPN? First ESPN is the most diverse networks on television right now. It's even in their mission statement. Well datruth4u how do you know this? I worked there last summer. I'll be back this summer. Georgia Southern can talk when they have a game that is annually broadcast on national television, a game that does very well from a ratings standpoint. Well datruth4u how do you know this? I'm working at NBC now. That’s what Grambling products do! They excel despite the ignorant stereotypes that people like you give us. In fact if you are claiming ESPN as "your" network, have they ever come down Georgia Southern to cover a regular season game? I'm not talking about ESPNU either!

Appstate29
April 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Oh, and we DO have WET... it's called ESPN

if you read all the replies, Blue didn't suggest that ESPN was the so-called WET, it was PMB4Life in his rebuttal of what Blue said and a general call to amiability. Although he did throw in the disclaimer that he was apparently referring to "Cold Pizza. Well how do you know this Appstate29? I read all the replies before I type my own up. :rolleyes:

PMB4Life
April 30th, 2006, 07:26 PM
APPSTATE29 with the POST OF THE WEEK.

It was a call for amiablilty... and yes, I was making a dig at "Cold Pizza" more than anything. Me and Michael Wilbon are like *this*, son.

I'm glad that an Appalachian State fan was able to point this out. It's taking the bitter taste out of my mouth from the loss in Chatty...:bawling:

datruth4u
April 30th, 2006, 10:21 PM
APPSTATE29 with the POST OF THE WEEK.

It was a call for amiablilty... and yes, I was making a dig at "Cold Pizza" more than anything. Me and Michael Wilbon are like *this*, son.

I'm glad that an Appalachian State fan was able to point this out. It's taking the bitter taste out of my mouth from the loss in Chatty...:bawling:

No it's getting the bitter taste out of your mouth from being on your knees!:bow:

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 30th, 2006, 11:01 PM

College Gameday ESPN was at the Bayou CLassic(Southern University vs Grambling) this season.:deadhorse

MACHIAVELLI
April 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/images/cgd%20084.jpg

kats89
April 30th, 2006, 11:30 PM

We get that at SHSU with some being Tx A&M fans. Of course, we get a lot kids transferring to SHSU from A&M. Tx A&M is only a 40 minute drive from Huntsville.

Blue
May 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Blue,
You have to be the most ignorant person on this board. You are calling WET ESPN? First ESPN is the most diverse networks on television right now. It's even in their mission statement. Well datruth4u how do you know this? I worked there last summer. I'll be back this summer. Georgia Southern can talk when they have a game that is annually broadcast on national television, a game that does very well from a ratings standpoint. Well datruth4u how do you know this? I'm working at NBC now. That’s what Grambling products do! They excel despite the ignorant stereotypes that people like you give us. In fact if you are claiming ESPN as "your" network, have they ever come down Georgia Southern to cover a regular season game? I'm not talking about ESPNU either!

You're calling me ignorant? Now that's funny. Please locate the post where I made any reference to ESPN. Jeez.

datruth4u
May 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
You're calling me ignorant? Now that's funny. Please locate the post where I made any reference to ESPN. Jeez.

I'll apologize for calling you ignorant in regards to the ESPN post.

jstate83
May 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Exactly brother man. Nobody gaf about you or your 'real tigers'.

How's the 'real tigers' been doing lately? Still looking for that 1st playoff win? I've seen JSU play before. Big fat guys that couldn't move. Witnessed 'Jawga Suthern' bust your boys a new un in '85 at Paulson Stadium on the way to a National Championship.

So once again. Shut your piehole. When you open it nothing comes out of it but lame azz mediocre smack. Mediocre. Now that's a word a JSU'er should understand. Actually though mediocre is a bit of an ambitious for JSU. What is a rung below mediocre? Hmmmm ... dunno the answer to that one. From now on when a team is less than mediocre they can just be refered to as 'Jacksonest'.

Hey I know ... screw football let talk about bands. BTW ... that's called sarcasm.

See......................It's bitter little people like this, that actually think I GAF about him, his school, or his conference.xlolx

And there's that dry, stiff, boring word again...................PIEHOLE.
How WARD CLEVER can you be.xlolx
Guess we will hear the word SWELL and NEAT-O next.xlolx
And look...............He squeezed the BAND COMMENT in for the millionth time...........xlolx

I guess he think's I'm gonna go cry because he said something bad about JSU..........The playoff's...............or any other BS that he can type.

Oh wow................look at all that venom..................xlolx
One day I'll care 1/10 of a damm..................but not today.xlolx

datruth4u
May 1st, 2006, 11:12 AM
See......................It's bitter little people like this, that actually think I GAF about him, his school, or his conference.xlolx

There's that dry, still, boring word again...................PIEHOLE.

I guess he think's I'm gonna go cry because he said something bad about JSU..........The playoff's...............or any other BS that he can type.

Oh wow................look at all that venom..................xlolx
One day I'll care 1/10 of a damm..................but not today.xlolx

:hurray: :hurray: Pure comedy at it's best:hurray: :hurray:

PMB4Life
May 2nd, 2006, 01:23 AM
No it's getting the bitter taste out of your mouth from being on your knees!

Real mature... a GAY joke? Good grief, what's next? A "Yo momma" joke?

Da truf 4 U is this: you are losing in a battle of wits because you are unarmed.

datruth4u
May 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Real mature... a GAY joke? Good grief, what's next? A "Yo momma" joke?

Da truf 4 U is this: you are losing in a battle of wits because you are unarmed.

YOU SOUND SO LAME! A battle of wits and I'm unarmed!xlolx

Out To Lunch
May 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
Would you mental, er, gentle giants from GSU, GSU, and JSU please take your "discussion" (in the broadest sense of the word) to the 1-AA Smack section? There's a thread already set up for you!

The Gadfly
May 2nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
To get back to the subject.....

Coastal does have this problem with USC-Columbia, Clemson, and UNC, however, year after year it seems the hold has become weaker and weaker :nod: . THANKS FOOTBALL!

CosmoVixen24
May 2nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
There are lots of LSU closeted fans At SELU... and I must confess, I am one of them. Mainly cause I've had/have friends playing football there. Besides closeted, I believe there are more LSU fans on campus than SELU. I've seen more LSU shirts, caps, etc than anything Southeastern.

Kill'em
May 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
I wasn't talking about conference titles we have 21 of those.

You don't find people from THE JOKE (i.e. Savannah St) wearing uga stuff, either.
Hmmmm

Kill'em
May 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM
The problem I see is, and it's not that this thread has morphed into a GSU vs. GSU smackdown it's that the arguement is stupid! Georgia Southern has won 6 I-AA titles in only 21 years of NCAA competition. This is something of which we Georgia Southern fans are very proud. Grambling has a long tradition winning themselves. After all, their coach was Eddie Robinson. Need I say more. What I've noticed, and this is just my observation is that it seems a lot of HBCU's tend to play mostly HBCU's. Sure there is the occasional regional game but overall I don't see them playing anyone else. So what we need is to compare apples to apples. The odds are not good the two schools will ever meet on the field so there is no common ground with which to compare. Both schools have great traditions and I'd love to see a home-and-home with Grambling.

Now, back on topic.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM

How can they??? LSU is down in Baton Rouge....if anyone has that problem here in Louisiana it's McNeese and Southern (but that's not such a bad thing since McNeese gets most of the LSU "rejects" (transfers)). But they wonder why Northwestern State recruits Texas Alot???? Go figure.;)

Blue42
May 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
As mentioned in earlier posts, this has long been a challenge for UNI. In years past, you had to work pretty hard to be a UNI fan in the state of Iowa. The Hawkeye coverage is pretty overwhelming and whatever oxygen is left in the room is sucked up by Iowa State.

UNI's simultaneous success in football and basketball over the last few years has done a lot to turn the tide, but there's a long, long way to go.

The 1-AA classification is a challenge here. Most fans in Iowa who aren't hardcore UNI fans don't understand it and aren't familiar with any of the teams UNI plays in football. Even many members of the Iowa media who are paid to know sports struggle with 1-AA. And those fans that do understand it think UNI is 1-AA in basketball too, which is silly given it doesn't apply to b-ball and UNI has regularly beaten Iowa and ISU in hoops over the last 5 years with 3 straight NCAA tourneys. I think the proposed name change for 1-AA would help a bit with this.

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
How can they??? LSU is down in Baton Rouge....if anyone has that problem here in Louisiana it's McNeese and Southern (but that's not such a bad thing since McNeese gets most of the LSU "rejects" (transfers)).
Southern doesn't have that problem.

bandl
May 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Sorry to get back on topic.

Having actually attended JMU, I can say that most students I knew absolutely despised UVA. The others were just kind of ambivalent toward UVA. There wasn't much love toward VT either. If anything, it was the kids from Maryland who refused to give up their Terps that bothered me most. Maryland kids are mostly diehard Terp fans, and they probably make up at least 10% of the JMU population.

Well said. I would add that if anyone has ever spent some time at JMU, UVA & VT, you would realize that the student bodies could not be any more different. JMU is very laid back and fun, but also intelligent (I learned how to work hard, but also how to enjoy the hell out of myself too). UVA is a very uptight atmosphere. And VT is....well, they are just VT. With that said...there is always the exception, no campus is immune to the stereotypical college student. xcoffeex :twocents:

Seat16Demon
May 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM
While there are five 1-A teams in Louisiana (well 2 real and 3 pseudo), there is not a big problem with this. Basically every native Louisianian is at least a closet LSU fan. Tulane gets some sympathy because of what they went through with Katrina (I saw some of the campus as we drove through N.O. and it was terrible). The other three 1-A's are a stumble away from being eternal doormats. Their fan base is limited and localized! Long live the real football teams of 1-AA!xlolx

ErkPeterson
May 4th, 2006, 04:27 PM
UGA fans are bacteria, the lowest form of life...and Statesboro is infested with these goons...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ErkPeterson/uga-MULLET.jpg

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Basically every native Louisianian is at least a closet LSU fan. Not at Southern. Most of our fans dislike LSU. Try living in a town with the Flagship school in the state. Now alot of SU fans pull for LSU womens team because of Seimone Augustas. Seimone was a Baton Rouge hero, but since her elgibility is up, I think that will be coming to an end.

Kill'em
May 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
UGA fans are bacteria, the lowest form of life...and Statesboro is infested with these goons...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ErkPeterson/uga-MULLET.jpg
Oh, this is classic! I've just e-mailed this to myself so I can show it to my boss... oops sorry, former boss. He is a HUGE uga fan even though he went to Georgia Southern. What a foolxlolx

parr90
May 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Season of the Tiger has been getting a whole lot of media attention in this part of the country and its been the subject of talk radio this mourning, and 99% of the people that called in, and including the hosts were whites who had no ties to Grambling what so ever! Stop hating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to the subject!xcoffeex

Yeah you keep on believing that. Have some more cool-aid.

chrisattsu
May 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I think someone else mentioned that Texas State is located 20 miles south of the University of Texas. You have no clue how much burnt orange I see amongst the student body. It has gotten better since last year's winning football season though.

Growing up in Iowa, I feel the pain for the UNI fans on this board. My stepdad is a former student of UNI, I think he even played basketball or baseball for them, but you would swear that he went to UofI. He has so much Hawkeye crap in his study. Hell, I couldn't even get him to drive 100 miles south to come see UNI play Texas State during the playoffs last fall.

ErkPeterson
May 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Oh, this is classic! I've just e-mailed this to myself so I can show it to my boss... oops sorry, former boss. He is a HUGE uga fan even though he went to Georgia Southern. What a foolxlolx
My little brother took this at a UGA vs. GT game. He graduated from Tech so you can imagine his hatred for "the dogs". I also have another brother graduating from UGAy next weekend. He cannot stand UGA and is only there for the education. He said the first thing he is doing is joining Southern Boosters. :hurray: I've got a ton of pics making fun of UGAy.. like this one..
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ErkPeterson/UGAmohawk.jpg

Kill'em
May 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM
My little brother took this at a UGA vs. GT game. He graduated from Tech so you can imagine his hatred for "the dogs". I also have another brother graduating from UGAy next weekend. He cannot stand UGA and is only there for the education. He said the first thing he is doing is joining Southern Boosters. :hurray: I've got a ton of pics making fun of UGAy.. like this one..
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ErkPeterson/UGAmohawk.jpg
What a switch, a uga grad joining Southern Boosters. How rare is that? Keep posting these pictures. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Funny... so many jokes between our schools...

Actually, many more JMU fans root for Tech, I think. If you go to the campuses:

JMU = Friendly people who love to live life to the fullest

VTech = The Big Campus - Sports rule more & more - many guys, ladies are average at best here.

UVA = True pricks. C'mon, no one from JMU would ever wear a tie to a football game!!!

W&M = Suicide City. We love each other as rivals 'cause it's so easy to pick on each other. Not as smart as one might think, perhaps booksmart, but don't let these bookworms out on the streets at night!

UR = New Jersey University - Southern Campus. Closest in attitude to UVGay, I think it has something to do with all of daddy's money...

Sorry if your favorite VA school failed to make my list - chances are, you're a pathetic commuter school instead! (Like that one down the street from me that just made it to the Final Four... :confused: )

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 5th, 2006, 05:36 PM
While there are five 1-A teams in Louisiana (well 2 real and 3 pseudo), there is not a big problem with this. Basically every native Louisianian is at least a closet LSU fan. Tulane gets some sympathy because of what they went through with Katrina (I saw some of the campus as we drove through N.O. and it was terrible). The other three 1-A's are a stumble away from being eternal doormats. Their fan base is limited and localized! Long live the real football teams of 1-AA!xlolx

No disrespect for LSU (since most Louisiana talent goes there) But I'm a BUFF all the way. But I admit, It is nice to finally see LSU in the upper tier of the SEC (see what happens when Louisiana talent stays home)

FORK'EM FELLOW DEMON

Kill'em
May 6th, 2006, 06:39 AM
The Savannah Eagle Club had its Annual Banquet Friday and Coach VanGorder and Coach Price (men's basketball) were guest speakers. The rowdiest ovation of the night was BVG telling the crowd we need to rid Statesboro and the Georgia Southern campus of the big "G" ("G" meaning the university of georgia). This would be a dream come true for me.:hurray:

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
There are lots of LSU closeted fans At SELU... and I must confess, I am one of them. Mainly cause I've had/have friends playing football there. Besides closeted, I believe there are more LSU fans on campus than SELU. I've seen more LSU shirts, caps, etc than anything Southeastern.

But SELA has a reason for this.....remember...yall just got yall football program back like 3-4 yrs ago (something like that). McNeese...well...we know da deal.

That reminds me.....if McNeese and SFA are our rivals and Nichollis State is McNeese's rival, then who is SELA's true rival (conferencewise anyhow)? I been trying to figure it out for years.

And if it's McNeese, welcome to the club.

McNeese75
May 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM
if anyone has that problem here in Louisiana it's McNeese and Southern (but that's not such a bad thing since McNeese gets most of the LSU "rejects" (transfers)). But they wonder why Northwestern State recruits Texas Alot???? Go figure.;)

??????? Seems like the Demons get their fair share of rejects. I seem to remember a QB named Nall did not start his career at NW and we recruit Texas just as heavily as the Demon (ex McNeese) coaches do.

Gambit
May 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
WKU (EKU, Murray State, and even Morehead St) has this problem. Everyone in the state is about UK basketball. And unitl UK gets a football team worth putting on the field - it will remain that way. There is little support, as a whole, for any football in KY. You will find little pockets of support, mainly in Richmond, but it is a small percentage.

UL has certainly lost their flare in basketball...mainly because their National Title contenders on the football field the last couple of years and the basketball team with to the NIT this year.

But, UK's football attendance record rank in I-A since you seem out of the loop in ol' Gawja.

1998 - 26th
1999 - 21st
2000 - 22nd
2001 - 23rd
2002 - 24th
2003 - 24th
2004 - 28th

Point is, it's not that no one cares, it's the product on the field. High School basketball in Kentucky is an overrated joke, to where as HS Football produced the overall #9 rated player in the country, Micah Johnson. If anyone is turning the blind eye to football it's the WKU fan base, the Tops put solid teams on the field every year that are expected to compete for the I-AA NC. Finally 4 years after the the 2002 NC, they are just getting around to expanding and redoing the facilities. JMO.

BigDukeDawg
May 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM
So W&M people now know JMU better than actual JMU people? Some of us actually chose JMU over UVA believe it or not. The only problem in regards to seeing I-A fans around JMU's campus is with our female population. Due to the lopsided female to male ratio, many JMU girls have boyfriends at VT and UVA so they cheer for VT and UVA.

Plus the farmer type people have some crazy hard-on for VT even though now its turning into some Criminal University, and the rich pricks go to UVA or Bill & His Bitch, then all the hot girls of the state come to JMU and i guess find happiness. I definately dont mind the... i believe... 6-1 girl to guy ratio here....:D

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM
??????? Seems like the Demons get their fair share of rejects. I seem to remember a QB named Nall did not start his career at NW and we recruit Texas just as heavily as the Demon (ex McNeese) coaches do.

which is why I said it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

JDC325
May 8th, 2006, 12:17 AM

Carry on
I tried to find them on the NCAA website could you post the link where your National Titles are located. xidiotx xlolx xidiotx xlolx What I would'nt give for a GSU and "ICON" matchup on the field it would be a good opportunity for our third stringers to get some playing time!xlolx xazzx :asswhip:

Redbird Fan 21
May 8th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I did not read through all the posts so sorry if this was posted already but a ton of students at Illinois State are closet and open university of illinois fans..

granted Normal and Chambana are only about 45 mins apart. Most people feel that the U of I rejects go to ISU... i hate U of I soooooooo much... this just adds to the hatred...