Southland: Sam Houston State

AT-LARGE BIDS
Big Sky: Montana
Colonial: Towson, Maine, Delaware, Old Dominion
Missouri Valley: Northern Iowa, Indiana State
OVC: Tennessee Tech
SoCon: Wofford, Furman

NOTES...
James Madison has to go to ODU, UNH and UMass - made me very hesitant to go with them.

Albany hosts Robert Morris; Jacksonville State hosts Tennessee Tech... that's how I went

Montana will have to win out with the exception of Montana State to get to 7 D1 wins. Lose one of those D1 games, I'm putting them out.

Great West scheduling issues hold them out.

NC A&T under HF3 could win the MEAC, but a three-game road stretch at Norfolk, at FAMU and at SCSU could change that

Tennessee Tech scares me with close game fever! If they can win at EKU, would not surprise me if only loss is at Jax State.

SoCon at-large situation is tough. Elon has to go to Wofford and Furman. Furman still has Florida left and a road trip to Georgia Southern. Appalachian State has Furman and Elon on the road and Georgia Southern at home. Someone is going to emerge besides Wofford. Furman is the pick this week.

WrenFGun
October 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
AUTOMATIC BIDS
Big Sky: Montana State
Big South: Coastal Carolina
Colonial: New Hampshire
MEAC: Norfolk State
Missouri Valley: North Dakota State
Northeast: Albany
Ohio Valley: Jacksonville State
Patriot: Lehigh
SoCon: Georgia Southern

AT-LARGE BIDS

NOTES...
James Madison has to go to ODU, UNH and UMass - made me very hesitant to go with them.

Albany hosts Robert Morris; Jacksonville State hosts Tennessee Tech... that's how I went

Montana will have to win out with the exception of Montana State to get to 7 D1 wins. Lose one of those D1 games, I'm putting them out.

NC A&T under HF3 could win the MEAC, but a three-game road stretch at Norfolk, at FAMU and at SCSU could change that

Tennessee Tech scares me with close game fever! If they can win at EKU, would not surprise me if only loss is at Jax State.

SoCon at-large situation is tough. Elon has to go to Wofford and Furman. Furman still has Florida left and a road trip to Georgia Southern. Appalachian State has Furman and Elon on the road and Georgia Southern at home. Someone is going to emerge besides Wofford. Furman is the pick this week.

Good to read, but disagree with some of these choices; it is inconceivable to me to believe that ODU is better than JMU. I'd have JMU favored in that matchup.

I'm not sure how you pick Furman after the loss to Samford this week? Appalachian State feels like a better selection; I don't think Furman or Elon are very good.

I'd have Maine the favorite to win the CAA right now, but just nitpicking. UNH got blown out by Toledo and has questionable defense; Maine barely lost to Pitt and has an ever reliable, solid defense.

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2011, 08:58 AM
In the SoCon, Woffy is the AQ. ASU and GSU are the at larges....book it!!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Furman has to play Wofford too....their playoff hopes could be over in as little as 2 weeks.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Good to read, but disagree with some of these choices; it is inconceivable to me to believe that ODU is better than JMU. I'd have JMU favored in that matchup.

Not saying that ODU is better than JMU... saying that ODU has the 'safer' route to the end of the season than a JMU team that goes to ODU, goes to UNH and goes to UMass. It would not surprise me to see JMU lose two of those three games...

I'm not sure how you pick Furman after the loss to Samford this week? Appalachian State feels like a better selection; I don't think Furman or Elon are very good.

Appalachian State has a tough schedule remaining and outside of beating patsies from the MEAC, they snuck past Chatty by two points and got beat by 14 in a loss to Wofford. Are they legit? Tough to say. I'm not impressed with any of those SoCon teams, but someone had to get in and likely will. "Better decision"? What have you done for me THIS season?

I'd have Maine the favorite to win the CAA right now, but just nitpicking. UNH got blown out by Toledo and has questionable defense; Maine barely lost to Pitt and has an ever reliable, solid defense.

Colonial is always tough to pick particularly this early.

whitey
October 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Not saying that ODU is better than JMU... saying that ODU has the 'safer' route to the end of the season than a JMU team that goes to ODU, goes to UNH and goes to UMass. It would not surprise me to see JMU lose two of those three games...

So you have a 7-4 JMU team not getting an at-large? Of course I'm making the assumption JMU wins it's two remaining home games against Villanova and URI.

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
In the SoCon, Woffy is the AQ. ASU and GSU are the at larges....book it!!!!

ASU has to figure out what is going on if they are to make the playoffs this year. Offense and Defense.

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
So you have a 7-4 JMU team not getting an at-large? Of course I'm making the assumption JMU wins it's two remaining home games against Villanova and URI.

If JMU doesn't win their last 2 home games they don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM

A 7-4 James Madison team would likely make a first round date in the playoffs... particularly if other schools fall to the wayside. They do have one of the tougher roads in the CAA to seven wins though, which I think any JMU fan can attest to - correct?

And for all those CAA critics... I challenge you to post your own playoff field! :)

whitey
October 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
If JMU doesn't win their last 2 home games they don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

Obviously. I'm just saying they go 2-0 at home and 1-2 on the road they still finish 7-4. Hard to imagine a 7-4 team from the CAA (or SoCon for that matter) not getting an at-large.

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Obviously. I'm just saying they go 2-0 at home and 1-2 on the road they still finish 7-4. Hard to imagine a 7-4 team from the CAA (or SoCon for that matter) not getting an at-large.

Agreed.

Wildcat80
October 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
AUTOMATIC BIDS

AT-LARGE BIDS

NOTES...

UNH does have JMU and Maine at home. Travel to wm & towson. UMass at Gillette. If our defense continues to improve anything is possible!

dgtw
October 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Is needing seven DI wins for an at large an actual rule or just an unwritten one?

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Appalachian State has a tough schedule remaining and outside of beating patsies from the MEAC, they snuck past Chatty by two points and got beat by 14 in a loss to Wofford. Are they legit? Tough to say. I'm not impressed with any of those SoCon teams, but someone had to get in and likely will. "Better decision"? What have you done for me THIS season?

Colonial is always tough to pick particularly this early.

Furman has lost 2 and has Florida at the end, so let's say we have lost three. We would have to win three of the next four, GSU, WC, ASU, Chatt. I wouldn't put money on it.

bobcathpdevil56
October 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
No love for the BSC or Portland State. I thought they played well yesterday and with wins over everyone but the Montanas is that enough to get in?

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Is needing seven DI wins for an at large an actual rule or just an unwritten one?

Good question, I think it is more like suggested criteria but not a requirement. But I don't believe an at large has ever been awarded to someone with less.

DSUrocks07
October 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM
AUTOMATIC BIDS

AT-LARGE BIDS

NOTES...

HF3 is at Central, Broadway is at A&T

Skjellyfetti
October 9th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Appalachian State has Furman and Elon on the road and Georgia Southern at home.

We only have to win one of those to likely make the playoffs.

You really think we lose all three of those? xconfusedxxlolx

Edit: I finished reading the thread and saw OL FU's post:

Furman has lost 2 an has Florida at the end, so let's say we have lost three. We would have to win three of the next four, GSU, WC, ASU, Chatt. I wouldn't put money on it.

Compare Furman and Appalachian's paths to the playoffs......

Leaving App out is a joke... and probably based more in what you hope will happen than what you really believe will happen.

van
October 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM
A 7-4 James Madison team would likely make a first round date in the playoffs... particularly if other schools fall to the wayside. They do have one of the tougher roads in the CAA to seven wins though, which I think any JMU fan can attest to - correct?

And for all those CAA critics... I challenge you to post your own playoff field! :)

OK, since you challenged:

AQ (10)
Big Sky – Montana St
Big South – Liberty, Coastal or Stony Brook (no at large here)
MEAC – Norfolk St or NC A&T, (no at large here)
NE – Albany, Bob Morris or Monmouth, (no at large here)
Patriot – Lehigh (no at large here)
Southland – Sam Houston
OVC – Tenn Tech or J’ville St, other is at large
Miss Valley – N Dakota St
Southern – GA Southern or Wofford, other is at large
Colonial – Maine or any of 3 or 4 others

At Large (10)
Big Sky – #1 Montana at 8-3
Big South – (no at large here)
MEAC – (no at large here)
NE – (no at large here)
Patriot – (no at large here)
Southland – #2 McNeese may get in at 8-3
OVC – #3 Tenn Tech or J’ville St (which ever is not AQ)
Miss Valley – #4 N Iowa and #5 Ind St
Southern – #6 GA Southern or Wofford (which ever is not AQ), #7 App St likely gets second SoCon at large
Colonial – #8 UNH, #9 Delaware, #10 Towson, ODU or JMU

On the Bubble
Big South, MEAC, NE, Patriot could get an at large if a favorite is upset for the AQ
Pioneer fans: chime in now
Portland St needs to win out for 7 D1 wins, not likely
W&M or Richmond suddenly turn their seasons around, again not likely

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I'm not impressed with any of those SoCon teams, but someone had to get in and likely will.

You will be soon enough.

bojeta
October 9th, 2011, 12:27 PM
AUTOMATIC BIDS

Scheduling has definitely been brutal for the Great West. Each team scheduling two FBS teams and some strong FCS OOC. The biggest problem appears to be the parity within the conference. It will be extremely difficult to escape conference with a perfect record. I feel the FCS committee this year will recognize the strong play of the Great West and, provided a team comes away with six DI wins, they will get an at large birth. If the conference champ finishes with 7 DI wins, they are in for sure.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I don't think Furman or Elon are very good.

Correct here. No way Elon needs to be in the discussion. IF, and that's a big IF, Elon can get the turnover situation fixed then maybe they deserve to be in the conversation. Six games into the season and no real progress has been made. WCU went up 7-0 on us yesterday with another INT return for a TD. Elon's offense at this point is not very good.

Furman is good, but Samford probably needs to have their name thrown in over Furman.

As of now, I would say GSU, Wofford and App with the possibility of Samford, from the SoCon.

van
October 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Scheduling has definitely been brutal for the Great West. Each team scheduling two FBS teams and some strong FCS OOC. The biggest problem appears to be the parity within the conference. It will be extremely difficult to escape conference with a perfect record. I feel the FCS committee this year will recognize the strong play of the Great West and, provided a team comes away with six DI wins, they will get an at large birth. If the conference champ finishes with 7 DI wins, they are in for sure.

Hilarious!

heath
October 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM

AGREE-
JMU and Liberty both seem to shoot themselves in the foot.Usually 1 loss against a lower team screws them both. ODU looks to be a year ahead of schedule and CAA is down this season from top to bottom. Towson and ODU,nice to see those 2 ranked.

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I read the following blog on the Pilot, a local news source, this morning: http://hamptonroads.com/2011/10/odu-make-bid-playoff-game

There was a poster (I think a UNH fan) that posted pre-season about how good ODU would be and I kept shaking my head. If anyone knows who that is, let me know. I owe him an apology.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
look out for Samford, they can play ball with anyone in the conference; they have GSU and Wofford behind them, and they can compete with Chattanooga and App. Every game on the remainder of their schedule is winnable....the problem is they need to win all of them because they'll likely lose to Auburn.

rcny46
October 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM

You're scenario makes the most sense to me too.I watched the Maine game yesterday and I was impressed with their effort.

bojeta
October 9th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hilarious!

Justify

FargoBison
October 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Justify

The GWFC is pretty mediocre this year.

whitey
October 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Justify

I think what he means is a team from a league without an auto-bid I don't think has ever gotten into the playoffs with 6 Division 1 wins. The committee will take a team with 7 Division 1 wins from one of the power conferences over a team with 6 Division 1 wins every time. And there will likely be more than a few 7-4 teams from the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky and MVC to choose from.

bojeta
October 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
The GWFC is pretty mediocre this year.

As evidenced by.....? Losses to 6 FBS programs with good showings in most? 2 in conference losses? Excluding Davis, there is no evidence to suggest a mediocre conference. Two teams at 4-2 with only losses to FBS. 1 team with only FBS losses and Montana (lead until late 3rd qtr.) 1 team with only 1 loss out of conference and an FBS win. Don't let your bias get in the way logic. Solid teams in the GW. Fate may deal them yet another blow due to NQ status, but I stand by my statement.

JmuSkinsfan
October 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
AGREE-
JMU and Liberty both seem to shoot themselves in the foot.Usually 1 loss against a lower team screws them both. ODU looks to be a year ahead of schedule and CAA is down this season from top to bottom. Towson and ODU,nice to see those 2 ranked.

You always expect to win at home, but to say that JMU losing to Maine by 1 pt in overtime at home drops them from CAA favorite to OUT of the playoffs is a bit ridiculous. I expect us to beat Umass, URI, Villanova (7 wins) ... And I think have a good shot at both UNH and ODU ... JMU could still win out and win the CAA...

Maine beat JMU, JMU did not lose the game to Maine. I think people are still underselling Maine a bit but they're definitely with UNH at the top of the CAA. No way JMU doesn't make it at 7-4.

I'm sold on Towson ... although they just barely beat a Richmond team that is suddenly suspect. Also, major props to ODU ... but they beat the worst team in the CAA by 8 ... I'm just not sure how ODU is suddenly in over JMU now just because JMU barely lost to the top 1/2 team in the CAA and ODU beat the worst?

bojeta
October 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I think what he means is a team from a league without an auto-bid I don't think has ever gotten into the playoffs with 6 Division 1 wins. The committee will take a team with 7 Division 1 wins from one of the power conferences over a team with 6 Division 1 wins every time. And there will likely be more than a few 7-4 teams from the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky and MVC to choose from.

Now that's a logical statement. "Hilarious" is an uniformed and biased statement. I understand the history. I just have a feeling they may make an exception this year. However, IF the GW conference champ has 7 DI wins... they're in! Given the fact most GW teams scheduled a DII team, that means they would need to post an 8-3 record. Hilarious? Really?

Twentysix
October 9th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think UND USD and SDSU all beating SUU really brings the GW down.

If USD beats ISUr by more than 7 I will gladly take my statement back. I just dont see it happening.

I was pretty sold on SUU being a good team until all 3 dakota's on there schedule beat them... including UND beating them in Cedar City.

darell1976
October 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I think UND USD and SDSU all beating SUU really brings the GW down.

If USD beats ISUr by more than 7 I will gladly take my statement back. I just dont see it happening.

I was pretty sold on SUU being a good team until all 3 dakota's on there schedule beat them... including UND beating them in Cedar City.

How about UC Davis losing to DII Humbolt. Doesn't seem odd how all of a sudden the Cali teams are at the bottom and the Dakota teams are on top. Just proves that last years cellar dwellers could turn a season around in a hurry (case in point the 2010 NDSU team from 3-8 to a playoff run). If UND wins the GWFC title or even finishes 7-4 or 8-3 it will be a good turnaround.

katstrapper
October 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
There is still WWAAYYY to much football to be played to start thinking about playoffs.

bojeta
October 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM
There is still WWAAYYY to much football to be played to start thinking about playoffs.

Agreed!

heath
October 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM

True,but is fun. wide open.

FargoBison
October 9th, 2011, 04:40 PM
As evidenced by.....? Losses to 6 FBS programs with good showings in most? 2 in conference losses? Excluding Davis, there is no evidence to suggest a mediocre conference. Two teams at 4-2 with only losses to FBS. 1 team with only FBS losses and Montana (lead until late 3rd qtr.) 1 team with only 1 loss out of conference and an FBS win. Don't let your bias get in the way logic. Solid teams in the GW. Fate may deal them yet another blow due to NQ status, but I stand by my statement.

Sorry but just way too many games vs non-DI teams...not enough impressive wins. Things are looking pretty mediocre right now to me...USD and UND did the Great West a great disservice with their schedules.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2011, 05:29 PM

It encourages conversation... and gives us a look at what teams have to do in order to make it to the postseason.

As noted in another thread, you got plenty of schools eliminated or on the threshold of being eliminated. Plus, you got the rite of passage for Montana to need to make a run of things once more... which is entertaining in the least bit.

Skjellyfetti
October 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Thought process for Furman over Appalachian?

bojeta
October 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Sorry but just way too many games vs non-DI teams...not enough impressive wins. Things are looking pretty mediocre right now to me...USD and UND did the Great West a great disservice with their schedules.

OK... I'll buy your argument. It's an opinion and I respect that. Besides, it will either play itself out in conference and the playoffs or not. Time will tell.

DJKyR0
October 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
OK... I'll buy your argument. It's an opinion and I respect that. Besides, it will either play itself out in conference and the playoffs or not. Time will tell.

The GWFC's best hope for the playoffs was/is in SUU...after losing to both UND and USD it's not looking good for a GWFC playoff team, particularly with 4 of SUU's final 5 on the road.

OL FU
October 10th, 2011, 05:24 AM
It encourages conversation.

Absolutely, otherwise what's the point in the boardxthumbsupx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 10th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I read the following blog on the Pilot, a local news source, this morning: http://hamptonroads.com/2011/10/odu-make-bid-playoff-game

Here's a nice little "what if," let's say ODU and NSU both make the cut (which I think is entirely possible). The committee would be foolish not to pair these two teams up in the first round.

superman7515
October 10th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Considering they're less than 5 miles apart and in such a highly populated area, it would probably sell out, so 20,000 at Old Dominion or 30,000 at Norfolk State depending on who won the bid.

bojeta
October 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Absolutely, otherwise what's the point in the boardxthumbsupx

Discussion I like.

joeybrownerhof
October 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM

You can't be serious? Compare USD and NDSU schedules to date. There is no question which programs schedule is stronger and helped their respective conference. It is USD's.

FargoBison
October 10th, 2011, 09:57 AM
You can't be serious? Compare USD and NDSU schedules to date. There is no question which programs schedule is stronger and helped their respective conference. It is USD's.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Northwestern Oklahoma State

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Lindenwood

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Coming soon to a domed stadium in South Dakota....Missouri S&T

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

Your schedule is a joke but it is better than UND's so you have that going for you.

mcveyrl
October 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM

I think it says something to the effect of not having seven DI wins will put a team in serious jeopardy of not making the playoffs.

Last year JMU was 6-5 with a win over the ACC Champion and the number two seed, three of our losses were to playoff teams and didn't get in.

EDIT: Not that we should've gotten in. Just saying that in terms of 6 win teams, that was a good resume that got rejected.

joeybrownerhof
October 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Northwestern Oklahoma State

Lindenwood

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Coming soon to a domed stadium in South Dakota....Missouri S&T

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

Your schedule is a joke but it is better than UND's so you have that going for you.

Those teams are all rated higher and better than St. Francis. Solid Win. In fact Lindenwood beat Northern Colorado. The same Northern Colorado that is rated higher than powerhouse St. Francis. Southern Utah and Eastern Washington are rated higher than Minnesota. Laugh all you want but the facts are the facts. The only bottom feeder missing from your schedule is Valpo. Seriously, our schedule is helping our conference and rated much higher than NDS.

jmufan999
October 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM
You always expect to win at home, but to say that JMU losing to Maine by 1 pt in overtime at home drops them from CAA favorite to OUT of the playoffs is a bit ridiculous. I expect us to beat Umass, URI, Villanova (7 wins) ... And I think have a good shot at both UNH and ODU ... JMU could still win out and win the CAA...

Maine beat JMU, JMU did not lose the game to Maine. I think people are still underselling Maine a bit but they're definitely with UNH at the top of the CAA. No way JMU doesn't make it at 7-4.

I'm sold on Towson ... although they just barely beat a Richmond team that is suddenly suspect. Also, major props to ODU ... but they beat the worst team in the CAA by 8 ... I'm just not sure how ODU is suddenly in over JMU now just because JMU barely lost to the top 1/2 team in the CAA and ODU beat the worst?

Good post, but I don't know that I share your confidence about our playoff chances at 7-4. I think we'd need to have a bunch of close losses and maybe some luck from other teams in other conferences. And we'd probably need Liberty to make the playoffs to make that win look better. I'll definitely be extremely nervous at 7-4 and wouldn't be outraged if we missed out. Disappointed, but not outraged.

FargoBison
October 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Those teams are all rated higher and better than St. Francis. Solid Win. In fact Lindenwood beat Northern Colorado. The same Northern Colorado that is rated higher than powerhouse St. Francis. Southern Utah and Eastern Washington are rated higher than Minnesota. Laugh all you want but the facts are the facts. The only bottom feeder missing from your schedule is Valpo.

Northern Colorado is garbage, they would struggle in the NSIC.

The fact is that you are playing three non-DI teams. It is just a complete joke, if our AD had put together that schedule he would have been run out of Fargo. I honestly can't believe you are defending your schedule, I'd be hiding out of shame.

joeybrownerhof
October 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Northern Colorado is garbage, they would struggle in the NSIC.

The fact is that you are playing three non-DI teams. It is just a complete joke, if our AD had put together that schedule he would have been run out of Fargo. I honestly can't believe you are defending your schedule, I'd be hiding out of shame.

We are not playoff eligible. We play in a conference that has 4 other teams. We needed home games. We had two FCS home games scheduled and the teams backed out when we announced the move to the MVFC. Again, the point is which schedule is better. USD schedule is clearly better. Way to deflect NoColo, when we didn't play them, but a team that is much worse than NoColo, is on your schedule. A team that defeated them was on ours. Minnesota isn't helping you. They are rated lower than 3 Great West Conference teams and lower than other FCS teams we have/will played and defeated. Your point?

Again, look at the facts. USD schedule is stronger than NDSU. I was responding to how you stated USD schedule hurt the Great West. WHen in fact it hasn't and second it is stronger than yours.

Move on.

FargoBison
October 10th, 2011, 10:30 AM
We are not playoff eligible. We play in a conference that has 4 other teams. We needed home games. We had two FCS home games scheduled and the teams backed out when we announced the move to the MVFC. Again, the point is which schedule is better. USD schedule is clearly better. Way to deflect NoColo, when we didn't play them, but a team that is much worse than NoColo, is on your schedule. A team that defeated them was on ours. Minnesota isn't helping you. They are rated lower than 3 Great West Conference teams and lower than other FCS teams we have/will played and defeated. Your point?

Again, look at the facts. USD schedule is stronger than NDSU. I was responding to how you stated USD schedule hurt the Great West. WHen in fact it hasn't and second it is stronger than yours.

Move on.

Look at who NDSU and SDSU played in their last year in the GWFC, it is night and day my friend. I won't listen to your blubbering. We both played just five home games, you could have easily dropped one of the non-DI dogs you scheduled and put an FCS team on the schedule.

No, NDSU's schedule is more helpful because we beat the FBS team we played and slaughtered the FCS teams we played. I'll take a big wins over FCS opponents any day over some DII cupcakes. We are afterall in the FCS last time I checked but if you enjoy playing non-DI schools well then good for you.

joeybrownerhof
October 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Ok, I will do it for you.

USD (to date)
Air Force (59)
Eastern Washington (132)
NW Oklahoma State (388)
Wisconsin (6)
Lindenwood (318)
Southern Utah (126)

NDSU (to date)
Lafayette (259)
St Francis (483)
Minnesota (147)
Ill State (184)
Southern Illinois (177)
Mo State (232) (your next game since only five played)

Again, we had a contract with Lamar and they cancelled two months before the season. We had a contract with Western Illinois starting at USD this year. They/we cancelled since we r going into the MVFC. We had a game with Eastern Illinois starting at USD. They cancelled so they could get a pay day on the same date and then wanted to have their own home game. We gave SDSU an offer to play them at their place with no money to us. They declined and instead scheduled Southern Utah and payed them 150k. The difference between then and now is that the MVFC conference had less teams when you joined and willing to play more OOC. The other difference is NDS has a much better financial position than USD. Your AD, like Montana, can pay the largest amounts to get the FCS St Francis, in name only, to come to Fargo. Again, the main point is USD schedule is not hurting the Great West and is stronger than NDS. BTW, those D11 cupcakes would house St. Francis and more than likely Laffayette.

Twentysix
October 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
what is d eleven?

joeybrownerhof
October 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM
what is d eleven?

my bad. DII.

FargoBison
October 10th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Ok, I will do it for you.

USD (to date)
Air Force (59)
Eastern Washington (132)
NW Oklahoma State (388)
Wisconsin (6)
Lindenwood (318)
Southern Utah (126)

NDSU (to date)
Lafayette (259)
St Francis (483)
Minnesota (147)
Ill State (184)
Southern Illinois (177)
Mo State (232) (your next game since only five played)

Again, we had a contract with Lamar and they cancelled two months before the season. We had a contract with Western Illinois starting at USD this year. They/we cancelled since we r going into the MVFC. We had a game with Eastern Illinois starting at USD. They cancelled so they could get a pay day on the same date and then wanted to have their own home game. We gave SDSU an offer to play them at their place with no money to us. They declined and instead scheduled Southern Utah and payed them 150k. The difference between then and now is that the MVFC conference had less teams when you joined and willing to play more OOC. The other difference is NDS has a much better financial position than USD. Your AD, like Montana, can pay the largest amounts to get the FCS St Francis, in name only, to come to Fargo. Again, the main point is USD schedule is not hurting the Great West and is stronger than NDS. BTW, those D11 cupcakes would house St. Francis and more than likely Laffayette.

We also had teams buy us out. In 2007 we played zero guarantee home games, every game we scheduled was either a home/home or an FBS game. I think USD could have found some FCS team to play instead of one of three non-DIs.

I wouldn't say those non-DI teams would house any FCS team. Lindenwood barely beat a terrible Northern Colorado team.

joeybrownerhof
October 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM
We also had teams buy us out. In 2007 we played zero guarantee home games, every game we scheduled was either a home/home or an FBS game. I think USD could have found some FCS team to play instead of one of three non-DIs.

I wouldn't say those non-DI teams would house any FCS team. Lindenwood barely beat a terrible Northern Colorado team.

St. Francis is rated much much much lower than NoColo. It appears we will have to agree to disagree.

Also, I look forward to USD being in the MVFC. It is a premier conference with great schools and passionate fanbases. No doubt to compete on an annual basis will be a challenge but it appears our athletic department/USD administration has started to focus funds to be better. We still have work to do as a fanbase but I like what I have seen at the 3 games I have attended this year. I was in grade school and attended "the pitch"* and the games between NDSU and USD in the mid 80's. I hope USD can get back to that level, the NDSU level, which is a program and not just a great team every 5-15 years, and make for some great battles.

*he was down (he wasn't but I like to think that)

FargoBison
October 10th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I look forward to it as well, it was a good time watching the Bison and the Yotes play last year. I am very happy that USD chose the MVFC/Summit over the Big Sky, USD will be a solid addition to the conference.