PDA

View Full Version : Forget national rankings, who's # 1 in the SOCON?

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Wofford, GSU, App. or Chatt?xconfusedx

App-a-latch-un
October 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Tied GSU/Woff, then App, Nooga. SoCon's up for grabs this year, more so than it's been for years.

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Posted twice, tried to edit, sorry. I like my Terriers at #1. App #2. GSU #3, and Chatt. at #4.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
mods...please merge the threads, please and thankyou :)

PhoenixMan
October 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wofford, GSU, App. or Chatt?xconfusedx

Chattanooga is 0-3 in the SoCon. Are you just being kind? How are they in the conversation when they are winless in the conference?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Ankle-biters. They're on fire.

Go Apps
October 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wofford

Go Apps
October 8th, 2011, 08:40 PM
wofford I will move them to 1 in my AGS poll this week w/ GSU 2 ASU will be 6 and UTC stays in at 25

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Chattanooga is 0-3 in the SoCon. Are you just being kind? How are they in the conversation when they are winless in the conference?

I know, but 3 losses by 4 points? The Citadel game killed them. I guess I am being a prisoner of the moment.

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Does Samford get a nod? Good win over the Paladins today.

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
mods...please merge the threads, please and thankyou :)

Thanks YT

GSU_Alum08
October 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Who cares who is number 1 right now? Ask that question in November.

Biff
October 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Maybe being a slight homer as I sat through the arse whoopin' we got today, but Wofford is my vote.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Maybe being a slight homer as I sat through the arse whoopin' we got today, but Wofford is my vote.

The Citadel is a good team, they just sailed into the perfect storm today. Wofford played great special teams and didn't penalize themselves, we have an ELITE run defense. Citadel will get 4 or 5 wins at least this year I think, which is a huge step up from years past

The Eagle's Cliff
October 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Since Ga Southern and Wofford are the only two undefeated teams in the conference, I'm pretty sure that makes them tied for first. I'm just very optimistic about our future at Ga Southern. Our offense still isn't anywhere near as fast as it will be in '12 and '13. Right now, we're running a double option, because the QB isn't really a big play threat. That will change after this year.

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Since Ga Southern and Wofford are the only two undefeated teams in the conference, I'm pretty sure that makes them tied for first. I'm just very optimistic about our future at Ga Southern. Our offense still isn't anywhere near as fast as it will be in '12 and '13. Right now, we're running a double option, because the QB isn't really a big play threat. That will change after this year.

I do agree there. You guys have a ton of good athletes. PS I hate that play where Jaybo runs behind the dive in short yardage. Everyone knows that you'll run it and still can't stop it! Drives me nuts, that and any teams toss sweep.

TwoFeathers
October 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Shaw is very good at running the offense. Could there be a trade-off in speed versus experience if Shaw isn't running the offense?

Biff
October 9th, 2011, 07:01 AM
The Citadel is a good team, they just sailed into the perfect storm today. Wofford played great special teams and didn't penalize themselves, we have an ELITE run defense. Citadel will get 4 or 5 wins at least this year I think, which is a huge step up from years past

That punt return was sickening. We missed so many tackles. So was us pinning the ball on the "1 inch" yard line after a punt and watching you guys run it the middle for 7 something yards on the first play on your way to a 99 yard drive.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 08:20 AM
That punt return was sickening. We missed so many tackles. So was us pinning the ball on the "1 inch" yard line after a punt and watching you guys run it the middle for 7 something yards on the first play on your way to a 99 yard drive.

That was our first punt return for touchdown since 2006....I was surprised about how thoroughly we dominated the LOS on offense yesterday

Biff
October 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
That was our first punt return for touchdown since 2006....I was surprised about how thoroughly we dominated the LOS on offense yesterday

Me too. I thought our D-line would hang with you guys. Wasn't really happening. Our O-line is plagued by a coach that is not rotating out with the 2 deep keep them fresh. I would say we lost the game at the line. The punt return was just a quick upper cut, that just puts us on our backs and we never really got back up.

Hats off to Ayers for putting in the second string in the third. He didn't try to run a score that was already out of hand.

We unfortunately have some moral boost to do after this lost, the sideline problems for us (from a moral perspective) were apparent in the stands. We had to sit down our starting running back in the third as he was disgusted by the result. OC had to have a heart to heart with the Offense at the start of the fourth. Saturday is going to tell us what the coaches can do to get us back on track. The loss was tough (of course after 13 years, I should be used to it), but watching our guys give up in the third was harder to swallow.

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2011, 08:46 AM
wofford I will move them to 1 in my AGS poll this week w/ GSU 2 ASU will be 6 and UTC stays in at 25

Pretty close to what I have.

1. Woffy. I think they are far above the rest of the SoCon and the rest of FCS.

2. GSU. A big step below Woffy, but ahead of the rest of the SoCon

9. App. Just think they are missing something from years past. Need to find it before GSU and Woffy.

24. Chatty. Just can't let go. If they win where they should, finish 6-5...miss the playoffs again by one game, they should finish between 21-25.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Me too. I thought our D-line would hang with you guys. Wasn't really happening. Our O-line is plagued by a coach that is not rotating out with the 2 deep keep them fresh. I would say we lost the game at the line. The punt return was just a quick upper cut, that just puts us on our backs and we never really got back up.

Hats off to Ayers for putting in the second string in the third. He didn't try to run a score that was already out of hand.

We unfortunately have some moral boost to do after this lost, the sideline problems for us (from a moral perspective) were apparent in the stands. We had to sit down our starting running back in the third as he was disgusted by the result. OC had to have a heart to heart with the Offense at the start of the fourth. Saturday is going to tell us what the coaches can do to get us back on track. The loss was tough (of course after 13 years, I should be used to it), but watching our guys give up in the third was harder to swallow.
you gotta admit that Wofford run Defense is pretty solid....we had El cid under 200 yards rushing when we took the starters out. We played our best game of the season yesterday

The Eagle's Cliff
October 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Shaw is very good at running the offense. Could there be a trade-off in speed versus experience if Shaw isn't running the offense?

That's the whole reason Shaw is still the starter, and rightfully so. Having seen the GSU offenses of old, I just know it's not there, yet. Our Spring '12 practice is going to be fun to watch at QB with three lightning fast runners (and good passers) competing for the job. Jaybo has been nicknamed "The General" because of his toughness, leadership, and hard play. 2011 is just like 2010 only we're not sneaking up on anyone. The 2011 Eagles are beatable, but we may be back to 1998-2000 form by next season.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 09:01 AM
That's the whole reason Shaw is still the starter, and rightfully so. Having seen the GSU offenses of old, I just know it's not there, yet. Our Spring '12 practice is going to be fun to watch at QB with three lightning fast runners (and good passers) competing for the job. Jaybo has been nicknamed "The General" because of his toughness, leadership, and hard play. 2011 is just like 2010 only we're not sneaking up on anyone. The 2011 Eagles are beatable, but we may be back to 1998-2000 form by next season.

Can't wait for November 12....epic showdown

Biff
October 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
you gotta admit that Wofford run Defense is pretty solid....we had El cid under 200 yards rushing when we took the starters out. We played our best game of the season yesterday

Wofford is in a whole different level than us. Minus that you did it to us, the way the D handle every aspect of our offense was neat to see. They blitzed the cornerback every time our slotback started shifting, thus covering the pitch man. The blitz meant the safety picked up the receiver on that side, Linebackers then picked up the QB. Our QB made some bad reads I thought were we should have given the ball on a HB dive, but he pulled it out and watched Wofford blow up the pitch play. Of course we still haven't established a passing game, so ...

I haven't seen GSU yet and I don't think Chatty is as good as most think, but I don't think GSU/Wofford is going to be as close as most are thinking. Lot of season left though.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Wofford is in a whole different level than us. Minus that you did it to us, the way the D handle every aspect of our offense was neat to see. They blitzed the cornerback every time our slotback started shifting, thus covering the pitch man. The blitz meant the safety picked up the receiver on that side, Linebackers then picked up the QB. Our QB made some bad reads I thought were we should have given the ball on a HB dive, but he pulled it out and watched Wofford blow up the pitch play. Of course we still haven't established a passing game, so ...

I haven't seen GSU yet and I don't think Chatty is as good as most think, but I don't think GSU/Wofford is going to be as close as most are thinking. Lot of season left though.

Well when you know how to stop it, you know how to stop it, and right now I think Wofford probably knows how to stop it from a scheme perspective better than any in the conference, but that's certainly debatable

Eagle22
October 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM

I think GSU will be a lot better passing the ball if Wofford starts firing the corners and safeties as you mentioned. GSU still has a lot of room for improvement, but we'll see how were doing by the time 11/12/11 rolls around.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I think GSU will be a lot better passing the ball if Wofford starts firing the corners and safeties as you mentioned. GSU still has a lot of room for improvement, but we'll see how were doing by the time 11/12/11 rolls around.

GSU definitely has the best passing game of the 3 option teams, I'd say Wofford may have the best OL and overall QB in Mitch Allen. Jaybo is a better passer than Mitch, but Mitch is a step faster and runs it just as efficiently

gasoutherneagle
October 10th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Posted twice, tried to edit, sorry. I like my Terriers at #1. App #2. GSU #3, and Chatt. at #4.

Why is App #2 with a SoCon loss? Oh wait, is it because they only lost to the Terriers? Gimme a break.

GaSouthern
October 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM

This thread was created by a wofford poster so he could get lots of responses saying that his school is the best.

GaSouthern
October 10th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Jaybo is a better passer than Mitch, but Mitch is a step faster and runs it just as efficiently

Of the 5 QB's on GSU's roster, Jaybo is the slowest.

GSUsTALON
October 10th, 2011, 04:48 AM

I agree with E-Cliff

Based on past performances from the Erk and Johnson eras the 2011 Eagle team has a lot of growing to do. While I think Shaw is a sound QB and what we needed to transition back to the Spread Option, he lacks the big play speed and agility to make the QB keep/pitch portion of the option a true treat. WE will remedy this next year. GSU is much farther along than most of our fans expected for the first 2 years of our transition phase. If we can go 8-3 this year it will be a grand cake and a playoff berth its icing.

OL FU
October 10th, 2011, 05:23 AM
This thread was created by a wofford poster so he could get lots of responses saying that his school is the best.

there is a big difference in being number 1 and being THE BEST ( if you know what I mean):)

GaSouthern
October 10th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Honestly, if you look at our bodies of work I think Wofford should be ahead of us in the top 25 rankings but the almost-loss to prespy and the lower ranking to start the season seems like a clear reason for them to have no jumped over GSU so far.

AshevilleApp2
October 10th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I'll know better after the 29th in Boone.

But Wofford handled App pretty easily. They'll be a handful for anybody and should make a good run in the playoffs.

CID1990
October 10th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I had woco picked as the socon champs way back in the poll on El Cid's message board. It was obvious they were going to be exceptionally strong this year.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Of the 5 QB's on GSU's roster, Jaybo is the slowest.

yep. and Mitch is a lot faster than shaw and he reads it better than the other GSU QBs and at least as well as shaw

SpeedkingATL
October 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Wofford and GaSo are the class of the SoCon so far, period. Wofford's resume is more impressive IMO but there's lots of season left in a tough SoCon. I just want App to beat Citadel this weekend to stay in the playoff discussion.

TwoFeathers
October 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I just realized the highest ranked team Ga Southern has beaten is #23/24 Chattanooga, and they nearly lost that one at home.

TwoFeathers
October 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Wofford and GaSo are the class of the SoCon so far, period. Wofford's resume is more impressive IMO but there's lots of season left in a tough SoCon. I just want App to beat Citadel this weekend to stay in the playoff discussion.

I'm looking forward to that Wofford v. Ga Southern game. Wofford's resume is much better with the close game at Clemson and the win over App State. Dare I say it could be a blowout win for Wofford at home?

blueballs
October 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm looking forward to that Wofford v. Ga Southern game. Wofford's resume is much better with the close game at Clemson and the win over App State. Dare I say it could be a blowout win for Wofford at home?

Doubtful... both teams return virtually the same personnel as last year and the two games last year were both epic and went down to the last minute. There's no reason to believe this year won't bring the same thing and plenty of reason to think they'll play more than once.