PDA

View Full Version : Playing Number 1

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Chatty @ GSU this week.

The way I see it, the pressure is always on the Number 1 team. If Chattanooga can come in loose and have fun, strange things could happen. GSU is a great team with a strong offense, but Chattanooga (despite being 2-3) is a good team with a Strong Defense. This is going to be a fun one....for sure. And since I'm all HEART, MOCS 31-24!!!

cannonballgsu
October 7th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Chatty @ GSU this week.

The way I see it, the pressure is always on the Number 1 team. If Chattanooga can come in loose and have fun, strange things could happen. GSU is a great team with a strong offense, but Chattanooga (despite being 2-3) is a good team with a Strong Defense. This is going to be a fun one....for sure. And since I'm all HEART, MOCS 3-124!!!

Fixed your score prediction for you.

I agree the pressure is definitely on us. Hope we can put together a good game. If we come out and play solid, we will take the game easily. However, if we come out and play sloppy, UTC could easily run away with a win.

GaSouthern
October 7th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Mocs are in the playoffs right now, they must win out, and it is possible, we did it last year. This game scares the daylights out of me but people much smarter than myself are picking GSU so that is making me relax a little.

If #66 can do his thing and we can get a few picks from BJ then I think we can win... gotta play error free on offense though.

eagle07
October 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Our defense has to bring pressure or it could be a close one

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Our defense has to bring pressure or it could be a close one

I could say the same about Chattanooga.

1. Our Nose and MLBs have to own the A-gap. (Forcing the ball to bounce outside)
2. Our Ends have to get upfield and own the corner. (forcing the ball to bounce backward)

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
And our Receivers have to help by catching that quick 4-8 yard hit (Replacing the running game, or lack of)!!!!!

GaSouthern
October 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Milk you coming down to the boro tomorrow? I'm really hoping to see a large number of fans at this game.

bleedingblue
October 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM
You better hope your D keeps the ball inside. You give us the outside and this a blow out!

Gringer1
October 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM
A lot of people seem to think that taking away the dive is the key to defending the option, but this is not true. The outside is where most of the big plays happen. Saying that you want to force an option team to take the ball out wide is like saying you want to force a gunslinger quarterback to throw deep. That's where he WANTS to throw. Option teams WANT to go outside where the open space and blocking happens. Even if you can cover the inside and defeat blocks on the outside, you will open up the pass play and force your cornerbacks to play flawless. The option makes a defense cover the entire field. You cannot simply cover half and hope for mistakes if you want to have a legit chance at winning.

Terrierforlife
October 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
A lot of people seem to think that taking away the dive is the key to defending the option, but this is not true. The outside is where most of the big plays happen. Saying that you want to force an option team to take the ball out wide is like saying you want to force a gunslinger quarterback to throw deep. That's where he WANTS to throw. Option teams WANT to go outside where the open space and blocking happens. Even if you can cover the inside and defeat blocks on the outside, you will open up the pass play and force your cornerbacks to play flawless. The option makes a defense cover the entire field. You cannot simply cover half and hope for mistakes if you want to have a legit chance at winning.

Yes and no. Defending the option starts with taking the dive, EVERYTIME. From there you account for the QB (quick or slow play, depending on your philosophy) and on to the pitch. A true option team cares little where the yardage comes from, inside or out.

Gringer1
October 7th, 2011, 10:45 PM
My comment had more to do with people who say that they want to "force" the ball outside because that is more "dangerous" to the offense.

eaglewraith
October 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yes and no. Defending the option starts with taking the dive, EVERYTIME. From there you account for the QB (quick or slow play, depending on your philosophy) and on to the pitch. A true option team cares little where the yardage comes from, inside or out.

Defending the option the most effectively starts with a dominant DL. Blow through the line on every play and it shuts it down. See GT vs LSU/Iowa....I've never seen an option team shut down as efficiently as that.

seantaylor
October 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM
It is going to be a rowdy atmosphere tomorrow. When we are running the option, Paulson is the toughest place to play in the conference. Blow out coming.

Skjellyfetti
October 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
When we are running the option, Paulson is the toughest place to play in the conference.

Didn't Samford go in there and win last year? xlolx

Gringer1
October 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Didn't Samford go in there and win last year? xlolx

I noticed that you referenced Sammy and not your Apples...

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2011, 12:06 AM
YA WOOD THINK...PLAYIN' WOFFY/IGGLES....EVERAH FREAKIN' SEASON......DAT..'NOOGAH'S....D-CO......COOD TEACH.....DUH MOC'S....HOW TA STOP DUH OPTION...GOES FO'...ALL DUH REST O' DUH SOGONE....NO EXCUSE.....FURBALLS....CATASTROPHE-MOUNTS....SHI#%Y-DEL....ETC.......BRAWK!

Twentysix
October 8th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Agree with the chicken. Its a conference game....

Gringer1
October 8th, 2011, 12:18 AM
And you would think people who play an air raid attack would learn how to beat it and never lose... It is about more than the scheme. The option is a way to put the ball where the defense isn't. Your people have to block and make plays just like any other offense. It isn't about a defense "playing your assignment" any more than against any other offense. It is about players making plays individually and the team putting together a great effort collectively.

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
NO...IT'S 'BOUT...STAYIN' HOME......WATCHIN' YER KEYS.......IFIN' DELAWARE CAN....STYMIE IT.....ANYONE CAN......AWK!