PDA

View Full Version : #14 Indiana State at #2 Northern Iowa

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Well it is Friday, and no one had created a thread about one of the better match ups of the weekend.

In previous years it would be a game about how many points can UNI score, but this is not the same Indiana State team. Both teams are 2-0 in the conference, and this could play in big in the conference championship picture.

From a UNI perspective we need to stop the run first. Shakir Bell for Indiana State is averaging 153 yards per game. He has 2 200 yard rushing games, and one at 199. Ronnie Fouch is also a great quarterback.

I feel though if we can contain Bell and not let him run wild we should be in good shape. We will also need to be able to run the ball ourselves. I think another thing that will help our defense is a ball control offense. If we are controlling the ball and not turning it over our defense will be off the field and Bell and Fouch cannot hurt us.

It is also Homecoming in Cedar Falls which almost guarantees a rowdy crowd. Should be a fun one this weekend, and I am really looking forward to this game.

GO PANTHERS!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2011, 10:10 AM
"Reality Check Saturday" for Indiana State? xlolx

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
When was the last time UNI lost to ISUb

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
We last lost to them in 2002 in which we finished 5-6 on the year. The last (and only) loss in the Dome was in 1988. We are 23-4 all-time against the Trees.

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM
But I imagine this is not the same Trees team of the past. Seems like the doormats of old are really coming on strong you have Indiana State, we have SUU.

jmufan999
October 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM
UNI is 3rd in the country in turnover differential at +9, which is amazing at this point in the season.

ISU is T-59th, even in TO differential.

I'll take UNI at home by 10 or more. Great test for ISU, we'll see what they're made of.

crusader11
October 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Surprised that UNI is giving 16 points.

Sycamore51
October 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
It will be a tough game on the road for the boys in blue this week. I think the fact that we played a close game with UNI at home last year will help, but the kids at UNI are used to playing for championships. That is the thing that worries me the most, how will our boys be at game time. Tight and nervous or loose and ready.

MplsBison
October 7th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Heart wants IN St, mind says UNI.

DJKyR0
October 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I picked Indiana State for the surprise upset in our school paper. Love the action the running game has produced, Bell is a pimp, and Fouch is the best pocket passer in the MVFC. Their defensive front has some talent in Ben Obaseki. UNI is going to be a bearcat but I think ISU has the talent to pull it off.

Both teams have me nervous come late October, particularly because we go on the road to play Indiana State right after playing UNI at home. Either way this one goes it should be a good football game.

MTBison
October 7th, 2011, 01:22 PM
This should be a great game, does anybody know where I can watch it online?

Sycamore51
October 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Sycamorevision may be carrying it. You can get to that on the ISU athletics page gosycamores.com

Mountain Panther
October 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM
This should be a great game, does anybody know where I can watch it online?

Watch live through the UNI website for a fee:
http://www.unipanthers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=626866&SPID=90703&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26200

Trees' defense is giving up an average of 31 points per game this year.

UNI's offense has scored an average of 33 points per game this year.

BisonBacker
October 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Watch live through the UNI website for a fee:
http://www.unipanthers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=626866&SPID=90703&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26200

Trees' defense is giving up an average of 31 points per game this year.

UNI's offense has scored an average of 33 points per game this year.

I think this is the key to the game right here. UNI at home in a game that isn't going to be as tight as some expect.

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Another interesting fact. Indiana State has scored 61 points in the 3rd quarter of games this year.

Should be interesting to see what happens. It seems like a strength going up a strength with ISU's offense and UNI's defense. Of course ISU's defense vs UNI's offense is a bit different. Cannot wait for 4pm tomorrow!!

MR. CHICKEN
October 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I think this is the key to the game right here. UNI at home in a game that isn't going to be as tight as some expect.

SYCAMORES......CAN YA'LL SAY.................TIMBER.......xconfusedx....... ...BRAWK!

Twentysix
October 7th, 2011, 11:59 PM
SYCAMORES......CAN YA'LL SAY.................TIMBER.......xconfusedx....... ...BRAWK!

The chicken made a funny. I would prefer UNI wins this game, it will make beating them in fargo better. If ISUb beats them first it will devalue the win.

Squealofthepig
October 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
The chicken made a funny. I would prefer UNI wins this game, it will make beating them in fargo better. If ISUb beats them first it will devalue the win.

Gotta agree with 26 here; as a voter, figuring out the Valley is an exercise in dart-throwing, and the Panthers winning makes reality so much easier to discern the landscape.

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM
16173....YAH...OOM-HOOM......NOT TA WOORAH..BISON CHIPS........LET US PLAY...DUH TRADITION CARD.......DOMERS OWN IT......OWN-LAH...SYCAMORE..CLAIM TA FAME...MELLENCAMP'S.....WHITTLE PINK HOUSES.................xpopcornx.......BRAWK!

Drblankstare
October 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM
So hard to win on the road in this league. UNI by 14

jlandrus23
October 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Indiana State wins by 3. Bell runs wild in the first half but is held in check but Fouch goes wild in the second half to keep the Sycamores unbeaten in MVFC play.

MVFC football
October 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Trees win 27-24. Fouch goes nuts after UNI focuses on the run.

UNI Pike
October 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Total BS holding call negates a pick 6

jlandrus23
October 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM
UNI wins 23-9.

crusader11
October 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
At least the Sycamores covered.

jlandrus23
October 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Shakir Bell getting knocked out of the game was the turning point for Indiana State.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Shakir Bell getting knocked out of the game was the turning point for Indiana State.

Damaging indeed, although they only scored 3 points when he was in. That is interesting when he had 145 in less than one half.

jlandrus23
October 8th, 2011, 08:35 PM
UNI is a very good team and they totally deserve that #2 ranking. I'm not sure, but I bet since Indiana State lost, they will most likely drop out of the polls. UNI is a very solid team and I hope to see you guys in the playoffs along with us.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM
UNI is a very good team and they totally deserve that #2 ranking. I'm not sure, but I bet since Indiana State lost, they will most likely drop out of the polls. UNI is a very solid team and I hope to see you guys in the playoffs along with us.

Which is lame. You guys are a well coached and disciplined team.

jlandrus23
October 8th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, this Indiana State team has come a long way. Hopefully we can make the playoffs and show the nation what we are all about and show them how far we have come in a short amount of time.

Good luck to UNI!!

UNIFanSince1983
October 8th, 2011, 09:31 PM
What a game. The final score does not indicate how close the game really was. Indiana State is so much better this year than even last year it is impressive. Shakir Bell is even better than advertised which is tough considering he was the 2nd leading rusher in the nation coming in. It was unfortunate that he had to go out with the concussion. I didn't think ISU was giving him the ball enough prior to the injury anyways. He had 145 yards on 14 carries. Indiana State's defense is also very underrated. I don't know how they have given up so many points to other teams because they looked really good today. Fouch is good but I didn't think he looked as good as he did last year. And the kicker is not good for ISU. The game may have taken a different route if he made half of the kicks he took instead of only 1 of the 4 he attempted including missing an extra point.

Hopefully Bell can come back for ISU. They have a real chance to make the playoffs and make a little bit of noise. Good luck to the rest of the Valley on trying to stop Bell because he is GOOD. Good luck the rest of the way Trees put up more of a fight than I thought they would, and I came away really impressed.

I was disappointed with our offense today, but I think that is a credit to Indiana State.

clenz
October 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
The game want as close as the score indicated? I get what you are trying to say but ISUs only TD came after UNI stopped a 4th down attempt by isu and then fumbled the ball at their own 11 yard line. Outside of that all the had was a fg and uni had a td pulled off the board after a pick a 6 was called back on a bs defensive holding call. The score could have easily been 30 or 37 to 3.

Without bell that offense was very pedestrian, if not bad. Gouch threw trip picks, but had one called back and had four out five more that easily could have been

I will say this is the best isu team I've ever seen. They actually look like football players not just scabs piled from the student population to have enough players like they have in the past

MplsBison
October 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
So does this basically mean it's up to NDSU to try to knock UNI off the top of the mountain this year?