PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina State will run the ball very well, thank you!

Georgia Griz
May 18th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Rumor has it that SCSU is getting two big stud runningbacks. D. Summers, formerly of the U. of South Carolina will be a Bulldog, as well as Michael Cooper formerly of the U. of Georgia.

rosy410
May 18th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Summers doesn't have the grades to transfer anywhere.

Georgia Griz
May 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Summers doesn't have the grades to transfer anywhere.

We'll just have to wait and see, because the AJC reported this morning that those two guys were transferring.

Josh
May 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Rumor has it that SCSU is getting two big stud runningbacks. D. Summers, formerly of the U. of South Carolina will be a Bulldog, as well as Michael Cooper formerly of the U. of Georgia.

Here is the official word I have. Michael Cooper is coming to SC State. He is an All-American Candidate too. I know the NFL has been on him since he was at Georgia. He will be a junior this year.

Summers is not going to SC State as far as I know. Cooper is official and Summers does not seem to have the grades. If he does transfer in I will let you all know when it becomes official.

rokamortis
May 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't want to play them next year ... oh wait :(

rosy410
May 18th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Summers quit going to class after he was booted from USC. There were some rumors on gamecockcentral that he has spoken with GSU about a transfer. NC State was also in the mix but not now with the academics.

Rob
May 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Add that to the freshmen they're bringing in and they're set at RB for the forseeable future.

bosshogg
May 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
S.C. State is quickly becoming a popular destination for transfers, especially from UGA. I don't really want Summers, because I don't really want SCSU to become a rest stop for wayward Gamecocks. I do hope that he gets himself together though. I am however happy about Cooper.

eaglesrthe1
May 24th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Now it's being reported that Cooper will be transferring to SWMS.http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/category.asp?C=5470&nav=0qq9

Go to featured videos: sports 5/23

The Gadfly
May 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
OUCH! I wish I knew that before the preseason voting :( .

FU97
May 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM
S.C. State is quickly becoming a popular destination for transfers, especially from UGA. I don't really want Summers, because I don't really want SCSU to become a rest stop for wayward Gamecocks. I do hope that he gets himself together though. I am however happy about Cooper.

Cooper is a good player, he just got lost in the numbers shuffle of some serious talent at RB at UGA.

Mr. C
May 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
In my first exposure to Cooper as a high school player in the Georgia State playoffs, he ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown. How is that for a first impression?

Coastal89
May 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Summer Draft
Demetris Summers is rolling the dice. Summers, the former blue-chip RB who was kicked off the South Carolina team by Steve Spurrier for failing a second drug test, is taking a rather intriguing route to fulfill a life-long dream. According to The State, a paper in South Carolina, Summers will spend five days each week participating in a rigorous training program in hopes of getting ready for April's NFL draft, rather than trying to work his way back into the USC program or try and "drop down" to the 1-AA level, which also might've been a tough move since his grades at Carolina apparently weren't in good shape either. Summers' trainer is Emery Williams, the same guy who got another former troubled Gamecock back Derek Watson to the NFL.

'I was kind of debating on whether I should sit out and get my grades up,' Summers said. 'But this is going to make it a lot easier for me. School is pretty tough. It's hard to go to class and work out and do the right things. Being here, I think that will take a lot of pressure off me.'

I thought Summers' path is noteworthy since many touted guys who have fallen by the wayside for a variety of reasons, almost always pull the parachute and go the 1-AA route. But that may be changing, a least a little. Mike Williams, of the Pac-10's USC, sat out all of the 2004 season and devoted all his energy to working out with a combine guru and former NFL star Cris Carter and seemed to help his status. They key, of course, is that Williams did have two great years for scouts to study.

'It all depends on your film,' says one scout. 'Do you have enough stuff to show us to make us want to take a closer look? Summers does, but he @#%$ sure better be in tip-top shape when people come to look at him. Maturity is a big question here. I do think he's better off doing this than going to some good 1-AA program because even if he runs for 2000 yards people will still say it wasn't the SEC. And what happens if he gets hurt down there?'"