PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern St Asst Coach Resigns

TexasTerror
April 25th, 2006, 10:23 AM
You know, I would say that a story regarding the resignation of an assistant coach would typically not be a big deal, but this story is of a coach at Northwestern St that has been through alot and in response to all the difficult times in life, used football and helping the Northwestern St football program (in more ways than just coaching) as a means to get through these tough times...

I'm posting the part about the tragedy in his life from the article and what he's done to overcome it, heal...

Assistant football coach Chris Truax leaves after four seasons

One of Truax’s players, 18-year-old redshirt freshman Chris Waddell of New Orleans, collapsed and died on March 1, 2004, at the end of a light conditioning workout the day before spring practice was to begin. Waddell’s death resulted from Kawasaki’s Syndrome, a condition which can lead to early cardiovascular disease and hardening of the arteries. Waddell was diagnosed as an infant and was medically cleared for all activities while still a child. Truax and his linemen adopted the nickname “the Waddell Wall” for the offensive line and the Chris Waddell Scholarship was established honoring a walk-on player who demonstrates characteristics such as unselfishness and work ethic like Waddell.

Last summer, Truax’s 10-year-old son Christopher was killed in a boating accident during a family outing on Father’s Day. Last month, the Truax family lost a pregnancy.

The Truax family has contributed $50,000 for enhancements to the Demons’ locker room and players’ lounge, along with creating a permanent display showcasing the Demons’ extensive group of alumni who have played in the NFL. The player’s lounge was named “Christopher’s Corner” in memory of Truax’s son, who spent afternoons after school on the practice field with his father and was on the sidelines for home games and many road contests. Contributions by family and friends established an NSU football scholarship in memory of Christopher.

“What they’ve been through has been unimaginable but even in the most personally challenging times, they’ve been concerned with the best interests of the people involved with our program,” said Stoker. “We’ll miss them. We’ll always appreciate everything they’ve done for NSU football.”

http://www.nsudemons.com/story.asp?ID=2181

Freightliner
April 25th, 2006, 01:17 PM
All the best to the Truax Family.

I remember him losing his son....but to lose a pregnancy...ack!

nlwwln
April 25th, 2006, 09:51 PM
good man

Demon Fan
April 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Everyone associated with Northwestern State sure hated to get the news. As the story touched upon, the Truax family has been through a lot. Chris is a fine coach and a strong recruiter; but he is an even stronger family man. I sure hope that he can get back into coaching at the college level; that's where (in my opinion) he belongs.

Seat16Demon
April 27th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Coach Truax was a big part of the NSU family. To see him go is sure a loss for Demon football. We will miss his leadership and the young men on the team will likewise miss his guidance not just on the field but in their lives. However, he has set an example for them to consider. We pray the best for the Truax family in all they do in the future.