PDA

View Full Version : Denzel Washington

Fordhamanhattan
October 5th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Former Fordham football player and JV basketball player under P.J. Carlesimo has given 2 million dollars to endow the Denzel Washington Chair in theatre at his alma mater where he first started acting. He also gave money for a scholarship fund for a deserving theatre student.xthumbsupx

UNHFan
October 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thats great! Still pissed he didn't when Oscar for Malcom X and also feel bad know body responded :) So contrast to Fordham!

ngineer
October 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
So now maybe Fordham will start 'acting' like more like a football team?? (;-)...Sorry, I couldn't let that opening pass.:o

I think it's great when an alum gives back to his alma mater that way.

Bogus Megapardus
October 5th, 2011, 09:37 PM
That's terrific news. Private universities are dependent solely on donations for such endowed faculty and large capital expenditures. There's no tax n' spend for theatre at Fordham. Denzel Washington was both wise and generous in making such a contribution. It will benefit not only theatre students, but the entire university as well.

Ken_Z
October 6th, 2011, 09:45 AM
so why is Denzel getting a pass after directing funds to the arts rather than the athletic department? the administration is villified every time they make a similar decision.

WileECoyote06
October 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Ken_Z,

It's his money. Fordham's alumni list is a who's who of America. Maybe he inspire some of his prominent friends to give to Fordham. I'm sure he's probably given money to both them and Morehouse (his son played football there) in the past. And I'm sure the Fordham development office is grateful.

Bogus Megapardus
October 6th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Ken_Z,

It's his money. Fordham's alumni list is a who's who of America. Maybe he inspire some of his prominent friends to give to Fordham. I'm sure he's probably given money to both them and Morehouse (his son played football there) in the past. And I'm sure the Fordham development office is grateful.

Agreed - he can do as he wishes with his own money, and he's giving it to a private institution. He could give $2 million to the water polo team, or to study NYC manhole covers if he likes. It's also that much less that the general fund must allot to theatre arts.

Ken_Z
October 6th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Agreed - he can do as he wishes with his own money, and he's giving it to a private institution. He could give $2 million to the water polo team, or to study NYC manhole covers if he likes. It's also that much less that the general fund must allot to theatre arts.

oh, i understnd that it is his money to direct as he chooses. my point is that the school's admin is charged with what they believe to be most prudent in expending funds, yet many sports fans tend to berate decisions to allocate the funds to things such as the arts rather than increasing athletics budgets. do not really expect anyone to atack Denzel for his generosity, but the reality at private schools is you need to find donors to step up to the plate for athletics more than berate the administration for failing to allocate more money in that direction. now, having said that, when the hell are the PL presidents gonna get their **** together and approve football scholarships.

superman7515
October 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
now, having said that, when the hell are the PL presidents gonna get their **** together and approve football scholarships.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/ericsavitz/files/2011/03/hell-freezes-over.jpg

Seawolf97
October 6th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Nice move by Denzel. Two million to any University is a more than generous gift.

WestCoastAggie
October 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Former Fordham football player and JV basketball player under P.J. Carlesimo has given 2 million dollars to endow the Denzel Washington Chair in theatre at his alma mater where he first started acting. He also gave money for a scholarship fund for a deserving theatre student.xthumbsupx

Congrats to Fordham and Mr. Washington.

dgtw
October 7th, 2011, 10:51 AM

If I were head of the Theater Department at Fordham and they said I'd be getting $2,000,000 from the general fund because some rich celebrity had given me that amount, I'd be pretty ticked off. Docking me that amount eliminates Washington's gift. So I'd have to make do on what I normally get rather than being able to expand my array of services, productions and classes I currently offer.