PDA

View Full Version : Albany's Bob Ford going for 250 wins

danefan
October 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I thought this deserved its own thread.

Albany's Bob Ford is going for his 250th win this week against Duquesne. I was lucky enough to have been the QB for another of Coach Ford's milestone wins along the way and I am proud to say that you will not find a better person or mentor than Coach Ford in the Coaching industry. He's guided many along to successful careers on the field, in the coaching box and sidelines and off the field in life.

All time Division I Coaching Wins (*Active)
1. *John Gagliardi - 478
2. Eddie Robinson - 408
3. *Joe Paterno - 401
4. Bobby Bowden - 377
5. Bear Bryant - 323
6. Pop Warner - 319
7. Roy Kidd - 314
7. Amos Alonzo Stagg - 314
9. Frosty Westering - 305
10. *Larry Kehres - 303
11. Tubby Raymond - 300
12. *Ken Sparks - 294
13. Ron Schipper - 287
14. Roger Harring - 261
15. Frank Girardi - 257
15. LaVell Edwards - 257
17. Tom Osborne - 255
17. Jim Malosky - 255
19. Lou Holtz - 249
19. *Bob Ford - 249

All time Division I FCS Coaching Wins
1. Eddie Robinson - 408
2. Roy Kid - 314
3. Tubby Raymond - 300
4. *Bob Ford - 249

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowx

Ivytalk
October 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Quite an achievement! After Ford surpasses Lou Holtz on the win list, maybe Ford could replace Lou on ESPN!

Dane96
October 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hey now...no more blasphemy; he is not allowed to go anywhere until:

A) He delivers us a playoff game;
B) The school finally gets this stadium moving; and
C) He finds one of his ex-assistants to take over and continue his success.

:)

Sycamore51
October 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
It's amazing to have a coach do that well at an FCS school and stay around. I've never been to Albany, but there must be something special there to keep him around that long.

danefan
October 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
It's amazing to have a coach do that well at an FCS school and stay around. I've never been to Albany, but there must be something special there to keep him around that long.

He genuinely loves the area, which is part of the reason he's been able to recruit kids. I know he has turned down a number of opportunities to go to the next level, including multiple BCS-level offers (at various positions, including HC) over the years.

M Ruler
October 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Quite an achievement! After Ford surpasses Lou Holtz on the win list, maybe Ford could replace Lou on ESPN!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I expect nothing but the best from a Harvard man. Good stuff.

What makes Ford far better than many many coaches is he has won despite having one of his hands tied behind his back. This stadium (Ford Field)should of been built 10 yeras ago for him.

He gets players to "Bleed Purple" and really buy into what he is preaching. Most of his players are so ready by Saturday to play, they often play beyond their capabilities. He is a master motivator. Even in years when he gets the FBS and FCS transfers to come to Albany, they play better than they did at the institutions they came from.

If he ever had the facilities and the scholarships since Day 1 he would be a helluva lot closer to 400 wins than he is now. I have a hunch he will be sticking around untill 300.

He will be tough to replace. Gotta be honest since I played for him back during the covered wagon era, I am not sure Albany football will mean as much to me once he retires.

Dane96
October 4th, 2011, 11:32 AM
He's just really old school. Had an opportunity to take over Syracuse at one point...but stayed home. Thankfully, it looks as if he is finally getting what he deserved years ago...the start to a stadium.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Bob Ford is a legend and a dude that people can look at and say "man, I can be better if I stick to what matters".

The more I've read and learned about the fella over the last 10-12 yrs. the more fond of him I've become.

401ks
October 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Congratulations to Coach Ford! Absolutely one of the classiest figures in college coaching circles.

xsmileyclapx

I look forward to him reaching the 250 win milestone against the Colonials of Robert Morris on October 15.

;)

Dane96
October 4th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Haha! Should be a doozy this weekend.

To bad I am in Vegas.

danefan
October 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Albany coach Bob Ford, the winningest active FCS coach, will go for his 250th career win Saturday at home against Northeast Conference leader Duquesne. The 74-year-old is 249-176-1 all-time, including 2-2 this season and 240-155 overall at Albany (he had nine wins in four seasons at St. Lawrence).

Albany head coach Bob Ford has a 249-176-1 all-time record.
Since arriving at Albany in 1970, Ford has taken the Great Danes from the club level to Division III, Division II and now Division I FCS.

More than 100 of his assistant coaches are working in the professional, college and high school ranks. They include Dave Campo, the Dallas Cowboys' defensive backs coach, and seven Division I head coaches: Dave Clawson (Bowling Green); Pete Lembo (Ball State); Kevin Morris (Massachusetts); Al Bagnoli (Penn); Kevin Callahan (Monmouth); Walt Hameline (Wagner); and Chuck Priore (Stony Brook).

This past offseason, Ford explained his passion for coaching to The Sports Network.

"I think if you're not enthusiastic, get out of this business," he said. "I think people rub off on each other. If you're pessimistic, all you can project is gloom and defeat. That's what you're going to get. I've always felt we're going to win, not that that's the important thing in the world because it isn't. But we're going to strive hard to do a great a job with each of the kids."

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

danefan
October 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
http://s1.proxy05.twitpic.com/photos/large/418702961.jpg

Congrats to Coach Ford!

danefan
October 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4441847

Good article by Shapiro.

lbany, NY (Sports Network) - With more than 42 years on the sidelines, Bob Ford has coached all types of games at almost every level that NCAA football has to offer.

Engineering the Albany football program's rise from the club level in 1970, to its varsity debut in 1973 in Division III to Division II in 1995 and then joining the FCS (formerly Division I-AA) before the 1999 season, Ford has seen more than his fair share of football games.

However, that lengthy resume doesn't include an FCS playoff game and this year's Great Danes would like nothing more than to give the veteran coach that opportunity.

"Every kid wants to get there," running back Andrew Smith said. "There is a banner in our weight room with all the NCAA appearances, basketball has got two, volleyball has a couple and then football is just blank, nothing there. I look at that every time I go in the weight room."

hidalgo
October 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Great win for Albany...............certainly outcoached the Duquesne staff and earned it!!!!congrats

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I bet every poster on this board wants their coach to be on that list, congrats CBF and congrats Albany for having a great one at the headsetxthumbsupx