PDA

View Full Version : SNW: End of I-AA Nomenclature

TexasTerror
April 24th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Didn't see this posted. Seems some folks over at KatFans.com finally caught on to the changes thanks to this article. It's a good read and another warning to the I-AA faithful "do not be alarmed". Trust me, if they were radical changes, we'd have to pick up Ralph from the ground if not more...

-------------
Extra Point - End to I-AA nomenclature highlights likely changes
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA - As early as the end of the week, the I-AA name will likely take its place with the dinosaurs, dodos and 8-tracks.

It will be extinct.

Do not be alarmed. Nothing changes for your alma mater or favorite school. A name change is on the way, but Division I football will still be distinguished into two groups in order to keep statistics and the action will not have any effect on governance or voting structure.

But those two groups will no longer be called I-A and I-AA football.

On Thursday, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors convenes in Indianapolis, and the recommendations to delete the use of Divisions I-A, I-AA and I-AAA will come up on the agenda. The Board of Directors will be asked to take formal action to delete the labels that are only used for football. While the I-AA name might still be technically in effect by the weekend, the use of the nomenclature that began in 1978 is fading away by the day.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4017222.htm

McTailGator
April 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
:hurray:
Didn't see this posted. Seems some folks over at KatFans.com finally caught on to the changes thanks to this article. It's a good read and another warning to the I-AA faithful "do not be alarmed". Trust me, if they were radical changes, we'd have to pick up Ralph from the ground if not more...

-------------
Extra Point - End to I-AA nomenclature highlights likely changes
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA - As early as the end of the week, the I-AA name will likely take its place with the dinosaurs, dodos and 8-tracks.

It will be extinct.

Do not be alarmed. Nothing changes for your alma mater or favorite school. A name change is on the way, but Division I football will still be distinguished into two groups in order to keep statistics and the action will not have any effect on governance or voting structure.

But those two groups will no longer be called I-A and I-AA football.

On Thursday, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors convenes in Indianapolis, and the recommendations to delete the use of Divisions I-A, I-AA and I-AAA will come up on the agenda. The Board of Directors will be asked to take formal action to delete the labels that are only used for football. While the I-AA name might still be technically in effect by the weekend, the use of the nomenclature that began in 1978 is fading away by the day.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4017222.htm

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

And some of you may remember me predicting this very thing about a year ago. Our coaches at McNeese have been screaming to dump the A's for about 4 years now. WE ARE DIVISION I...

This will make recruiting against the non BCS teams SO MUCH EASIER.

NOW, IT's TIME THE NCAA ADDRESSES THE 2ND HALF OF MY SUGGESTION...

Make the playoffs more PROFITABLE, then the toliet bowl in New Orleans that the Sun Belt competes in and even more than the Silcon Breast Bowl.

CatFan22
April 24th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I-AAA? Have I missed something?

bobcatfan06
April 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Non-scholarshiped football programs that the schools are D-I in all other sports.

Tod
April 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Non-scholarshiped football programs that the schools are D-I in all other sports.

I thought I-AAA meant a D-I school that does not have a football program. :confused:

April 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I thought I-AAA meant a D-I school that does not have a football program. :confused:That's right Tod.

We've been reporting the name change since February and Matt is being the good columnist that he is by reporting it to his audience. :)

ASU Kep
April 25th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Has everybody read the article in entirety? Theres a lot more changes coming down the pipeline that seem very, very nice for (the football division formerly known as I-AA). :D More $$$ for the playoffs, more media exposure, etc.

Only thing I'm still torn on is the 12th game. Although one more weekend of football sounded awesome at first, asking a team to potentially play 16 football games in one season is a pretty tall order. Along with I-A's new 12 game schedules, it would probably bring about a lot more games between BCG's and PCG's though, which really can't hurt in terms of $$$ and exposure, IMO. I dunno, I'm tired.

I-AA Fan
April 25th, 2006, 05:14 AM
And some of you may remember me predicting this very thing about a year ago. Our coaches at McNeese have been screaming to dump the A's for about 4 years now. WE ARE DIVISION I...

Make the playoffs more PROFITABLE, then the toliet bowl in New Orleans that the Sun Belt competes in and even more than the Silcon Breast Bowl.

I hear the first part of this all of the time ...recruiting will be absolutely no different. In fact, it will lose a couple of years while everyone sorts things out. After that, it will be exactly the same. In fact it will be worse, as now there is a clear distinction, and the division I is "GONE". People need to wake up and realize the only reason they did this was ...

1. To give the BCS clubs more of a sense of distinction from the rest.

2. Give the BCS a place to put their dirty laundry.

Functionally, there will be no 'imediate' change ...so one has to ask why they are doing this?

Everyone concentrates on losing the "A" ...well you lost "I" as well.

And everyone in the I-AA community falls for it "hook, line, and sinker".

xcoffeex wake up and smell it.

AmsterBison
April 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Hey, if this means I'll quit hearing about my school's DI-AA basketball team, it can't be all that bad.

I'd say the non-BCS DI-A programs are the ones who are really getting squeezed by this. They are sponsoring the same number of schollies as BCS schools, but this new change all but erases the remaining differences between them and DI-AA schools. DI-AA schools are getting on BCS schedules in ever increasing numbers (well, at least it seems that way to me) and that used to be a major advantage to going DI-A. Schools trying to decide whether to be Bowl or Playoff have less reason than ever for choosing the former. Add 40-50 more scholarships to the budget for an outside shot at getting into a minor bowl game and playing a schedule that is almost exclusively non-BCS teams? Hmmm.

GeauxLions94
April 25th, 2006, 08:08 AM
If, and when the AA is removed to D-I, what happens to the transfer rule? You won't be able to transfer down, thus someone would have to possibly sit out the year. :read:

JaxSinfonian
April 25th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Maybe this will be good for I-AA. That remains to be seen. What we can be sure of is that the BCS conferences & teams see something good in it for them, or it wouldn't be happening. My guess? It's their way of butressing the retarded (but profitable) bowl system against calls for I-A playoffs. If Division I already has a playoff, they can't be expected to start another one, can they?

It allows them to take their worst feature - the bowls - and hold it up even more as an asset, something that makes them different from those lowly "playoff teams." They know the average fan already completely disregards or is even hostile to what is now I-AA. Now the word "playoff" will be very closely associated with those teams & leagues. It's a negetive branding effort for playoffs.

But hey, as long as our teams get to keep playing.

DUPFLFan
April 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Ralph - D-1AAA seems to be the popular perception of d-1 non-scholarship football....

ButlerGSU
April 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I like the sound of a GSU vs. UM made for tv game, I can see it now...live on ESPN2.

OL FU
April 25th, 2006, 08:59 AM
While I understand the opinion that the playoff criteria should be more subjective and can agree to some extent, I have a real problem with not having some minimum win requirement. It is a difficult tight rope to walk, the need to schedule I-A games for the pocket book and the need to win 7 games for playoffs. But eliminating the minimum requirement would seem to open the door for a team to load up on money games, have 6-6 record and still make the playoffs. Not only would it be bad for the playoffs, it could actually be a mechanism to finance a move up to the Bowl Division.

Agree or disagree? Or maybe you think I missed the point or am over-reacting?

Also, I know this is not what the NCAA is considering at this point but there seems to be an acknowledgement that future consideration is necesary

89Hen
April 25th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Just so everybody knows, I fully intend to continue to use "I-AA" on this board. I just didn't want people lining up to 'remind' me of the name change once it takes place. :nod:

dbackjon
April 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Just so everybody knows, I fully intend to continue to use "I-AA" on this board. I just didn't want people lining up to 'remind' me of the name change once it takes place. :nod:

Maybe that will be an option for those that have hit the 7,000 "make up your own name" level......

You could always make that your level name....

TexasTerror
April 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM
If, and when the AA is removed to D-I, what happens to the transfer rule? You won't be able to transfer down, thus someone would have to possibly sit out the year. :read:

If that were indeed true, Div II is about to get very, very interesting!:rotateh:

April 25th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Just so everybody knows, I fully intend to continue to use "I-AA" on this board. I just didn't want people lining up to 'remind' me of the name change once it takes place. :nod::confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow: :confused: :eyebrow:
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT MORE NOMENCLATURE PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :( xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
April 25th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I like the sound of a GSU vs. UM made for tv game, I can see it now...live on ESPN2.

That would be a great game of two historic programs in Grambling State University playing.... who Michigan or Minnesota? :D

henfan
April 25th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Ditto. In fact, I've been know to still refer to I-AA as the NCAA's "Small College Division". :smiley_wi

89Hen
April 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM
:confused: :eyebrow:
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT MORE NOMENCLATURE PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :( xlolx
That's why I wanted to declare my intentions up front, so there would be no problems. Everyone can call it PCS, DIP, whatever they want.... I'll still be using I-AA. As in... 'Who was the greatest I-AA player of all-time?' or 'Their all-time record in I-AA...', etc...

ngineer
April 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM
:hurray:

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Now there's a holiday bowl that should turn a profit! Instead of I-AA, it could be called 'a couple of DD's":D

ButlerGSU
April 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM
That would be a great game of two historic programs in Grambling State University playing.... who Michigan or Minnesota? :D

Like ESPN2 would cover that game :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

April 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
That's why I wanted to declare my intentions up front, so there would be no problems. Everyone can call it PCS, DIP, whatever they want.... I'll still be using I-AA. As in... 'Who was the greatest I-AA player of all-time?' or 'Their all-time record in I-AA...', etc...I view I-AA as a time piece that will continue under a new name... still the NCAA's top playoff football championship.