PDA

View Full Version : APP State facility renovations

tarmac
April 24th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Plan # 3 was released tonight at a YOSEF meeting in Boone. Major changes apparantly are than the 100,000 sq foot building will be built on the West side rather that the East side as in plan #2. Also current field house will also be renovated. Plus new indoor practice facility, new baseball and soccer stadium. Should be something in print and on the web tommorrow.

Sounds like a good change since putting the new building on the East side would have caused problems with adding seats later.

link to plan # 2

http://goasu.com/index.php?page=131

ASU Kep
April 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Are they still unable to say exactly when all this construction will begin?

tarmac
April 25th, 2006, 06:01 AM
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FPage%2FWSJ_StandardIndex&c=Page&cid=1041611506842

Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Site change has ASU field house going West
Mountaineers' AD says east side had drawbacks, west side had more room

By Tommy Bowman
JOURNAL REPORTER

BOONE

The location of a new field house to be built at Kidd Brewer Stadium - part of Appalachian State's $32 million athletics facilities-enhancement plan - has changed, Athletics Director Charlie Cobb of ASU said yesterday.

Plans now call for the 100,000 square-foot building, which will include weight and training rooms, locker rooms and office space, to be built behind the stadium's west (press-box side) stands.

It was announced last November that the structure would be behind the east stands.

Cobb said that the primary reason for the change is to allow space for possible future seating expansion to the smaller east-side seating structure.

"First and foremost, putting (the field house) behind the east stands would have landlocked us for down the road when demand warrants stadium expansion," Cobb said.

Two of the new building's five stories will rise above the west stands and include 20 suites and 500 club seats. The location of suites and club seats was another factor in the change, Cobb said.

"The more I listened to people talk about the issue of sun (bearing down on the east side) during games at certain times, we needed to be on the west side with the premium seating where the sun is behind and you're not facing into it," Cobb said.

He said that there is enough space behind the west-side seating structure to accommodate the new building.

"We'll have to carve a little bit into the hill, but it's amazing how much room is back there," Cobb said. "If you think about a 100,000 square foot building with five stories, that's 20,000 square feet (per floor). Going lengthwise goal line to goal line there's 300 feet, so the depth only needs to be 67 feet to get a 20,000 square-foot floor. There's ample room to do that."

Cobb said that he expects construction to begin after the coming football season and be complete by the 2008 season. Plans include the removal of the existing press box and use of a temporary press box for 2007.

The change in field-house plans is the second alteration from a plan originally scheduled to start after the 2004 football season. Cobb said that the new version won't alter the $32 million budget for the overall athletics facilities enhancement plan, to be financed by both student fees and private money.

He said that the consistent size of each of the building's five floors - as opposed to east-side plans that had called for various sizes for four floors - will help construction costs. He said that he expects to stay within a $24 million estimate for the building.

As part of the overall enhancement plan, Cobb said, the conversion of ASU's existing baseball stadium to a softball stadium should begin within the next 45 days. Plans remain for a new baseball stadium near Broyhill Inn and the construction of an indoor practice facility for outdoor sports near the new field house on space now used by baseball.

Cobb said that some cosmetic improvements to the stadium will begin within the next month and should be completed in time for the 2006 season. Upgrades to rest rooms and east-side stadium lighting are included, as well as bleacher seating in the north end zone (where Owens Field House will remain with plans for future renovation). Cobb said the end-zone seating could possibly accommodate the ASU band, enabling it to play to both sides of the stadium.

• Tommy Bowman can be reached at 727-7320 or at [email protected]

Pards Rule
April 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Hey, I'm hoping this year to be able to come to Boone for another I-AA playoff game - this time with the National Champs!

ASU Kep
April 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
We'd love to have ya.......just don't put up as big of a fight next time, OK? ;) :)

tarmac
April 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
link to new plan

http://goasu.com/index.php?page=131

bobcatfan06
April 25th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Sure would be nice if Texas State could get their **** together and get some upgraded facilities.

Pards Rule
April 25th, 2006, 02:52 PM
We'd love to have ya.......just don't put up as big of a fight next time, OK? ;) :)

ASU Kep, Leopards ALWAYS put up a fight! Seriously, I was so disappointed I couldn't get to Boone to watch that game. Did anyone tape it? Would love to get a copy as they didn't show it on any channels in the Philly area.

mainejeff
April 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Appy will make a great addition to the CAA.

SU Jag
April 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: Nice, very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Freightliner
April 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Sure would be nice if Texas State could get their **** together and get some upgraded facilities.

If you were to see some of App's facilities (which I did when I was there in 04) some of our facilities right now are better than theirs are at this point in time. So for them...this is well deserved.

slostang
April 25th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I do not know what you are complainning about, I think Texas State has to be in the top 10 to 15% of I-AA football facilities. The stadium holds over 15,000 and the football complex in the endzone is first class. If Bailiff sticks around, I am sure you have now problem with expanding it. Winning has a way of bringing in the money.

mountaintop
April 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM
ASU surely needs the work, regardless. As do about 20 other stadiums I know.

Freightliner
April 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I do not know what you are complainning about, I think Texas State has to be in the top 10 to 15% of I-AA football facilities. The stadium holds over 15,000 and the football complex in the endzone is first class. If Bailiff sticks around, I am sure you have now problem with expanding it. Winning has a way of bringing in the money.

Agreed. I've also seen Cal-Poly's as well (ahh..no rain since March Eh? :smiley_wi ). The stadium you guys have under construction is TONS better than the one we saw on our trip up there. It will help you folks out tremendously in recruiting.

slostang
April 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Agreed. I've also seen Cal-Poly's as well (ahh..no rain since March Eh? :smiley_wi ). The stadium you guys have under construction is TONS better than the one we saw on our trip up there. It will help you folks out tremendously in recruiting.
Tell me about it. I have seen nicer high school stadiums, much nicer. The good thing is look how far Cal Poly has come with a high school stadium. Imagine what they can do with a nice stadium.:)

JMU Duke Dog
April 25th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Yes they indeed would make a great addition to the CAA. I am from southern Virginia originally so I personally would enjoy seeing JMU play Appalachian State than the northeastern schools.

LCFan21
April 26th, 2006, 08:58 AM
ASU Kep, Leopards ALWAYS put up a fight! Seriously, I was so disappointed I couldn't get to Boone to watch that game. Did anyone tape it? Would love to get a copy as they didn't show it on any channels in the Philly area.

I went and filmed the game myself. AWESOME atmosphere down there and that was when most students were not on campus. App State were gracious hosts and walked away with much respect for the Lafayette program. When I told fans we were non scholarship and playing the back up QB thier jaws dropped. Perfect football weather day! Other programs should use the App State game day "presentation" as the bench mark to strive towards. I'm sure others do as well but App State was my only experience to draw from.

89Hen
April 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Only if they replaced Maine. :p

GGASU
April 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM
The plan is getting better each time, this being the third try.

The fourth needs to include destruction of the entire home side stands, and starting from scratch.

There is no need to spend that amount of money while leaving the aging stands alone. xidiotx

Just build a new stadium, instead of trying to piece one together from old parts.

mainejeff
April 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Yes they indeed would make a great addition to the CAA. I am from southern Virginia originally so I personally would enjoy seeing JMU play Appalachian State than the northeastern schools.

You may get your wish!;)

mainejeff
April 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Only if they replaced Maine. :p

They may!;)

spoogemcgee18
April 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard Charlie Cobb say they were going to break ground on all this "right after the last snap." (Or something to that effect.)
But taking ASU's past construction endeavors (The Student U that went like 2 years over schedule and the new Rec. Center that took forever to open) I don't expect to see anything happen anytime soon.
And I agree, a brand new stadium is what we need, not a renovation.

WUTNDITWAA
April 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
:twocents: A new stadium should have been built off campus. But alas, nobody has shown up on my front porch to beat my opinion out of me.

ASU Kep
April 26th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I went and filmed the game myself. AWESOME atmosphere down there and that was when most students were not on campus. App State were gracious hosts and walked away with much respect for the Lafayette program. When I told fans we were non scholarship and playing the back up QB thier jaws dropped. Perfect football weather day! Other programs should use the App State game day "presentation" as the bench mark to strive towards. I'm sure others do as well but App State was my only experience to draw from.

Thanks for all the great words, LCFan. You really should see us when school is in session and it's not raining, it's something else. Every once in a while I'll drag one of my buddies from back home (SEC fans) to an ASU game and they are always amazed by the enthusiasm. Ya'll are more than welcome back anytime, you got one helluva tough team. I forgot that you guys were playing with your back-up QB, thats even more impressive. :bow:

gsueagle02
April 28th, 2006, 08:08 AM
What will be the new seating capacity after the renovations?

Griswold
April 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM
What will be the new seating capacity after the renovations?

WUTNDITWAA
April 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Is that all they're adding in the end zones?

AppMan
April 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Don't know about that "Appy" crowd, but App State sure would! Just some good natured way of letting you folks know.... WE HATE BEING CALLED APPY!! Whew! Now I feel much better....

AppMan
April 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I was extremely impressed with your team and believe they were the best fundamentally sound bunch we faced all year. In the end we kind of out-athleted you, but from a blocking, tackling, playing assignment football standpoint you guys were tremendous. It was extremely obvious you have a very solid coaching staff. I liked the no nonsense attitude to the players. No talking trash, no stupid mistakes, just act like you've been there before. Guys like you scare me to death. You look at it on paper and it is like this will be a cakewalk , but after a few minutes’ reality sets in that is going to be a battle.

AppMan
April 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
The plan is getting better each time, this being the third try.

The fourth needs to include destruction of the entire home side stands, and starting from scratch.

There is no need to spend that amount of money while leaving the aging stands alone. xidiotx

Just build a new stadium, instead of trying to piece one together from old parts.

Now where would you get a crazy idea like that???

ASU Kep
April 28th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I really don't care what the plan is, as long as they GET MOVING sometime soon, and hopefully eventually get rid of the damn track.

AppMan
April 29th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Is that all they're adding in the end zones?

There will be about 500 club level seats, plus what ever the 23 sky boxes, Yosef Club Box, and Chancellors box hold. The end zone seating will only be about 500 seats for the band. Charlie Cobb has said he is not a fan of building empty seats. Selling out KBS has to become a 4-5 year tradition before any additional seating will be built on the East side.