PDA

View Full Version : We Don't Get No Respect

carney2
April 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM
"A record 17,346 fans turned out for the Green-White spring game, which included a tribute to the members of the 1996 Division II national championship team."

This quote about the Marshal University spring game is from Sports Illustrated online - folks who should know better.

89Hen
April 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I thought you were going to say it was bad grammar that was the problem. ;)

OL FU
April 24th, 2006, 01:21 PM
It is Marshall. Who Cares:rolleyes:

carney2
April 24th, 2006, 01:31 PM
It is Marshall. Who Cares:rolleyes:

Wrong. It's about Appalachian State and Montana and Youngstown State and Delaware and, yes, Furman. To these people Division I is Southern Cal and Florida State and Michigan. The rest is club football and beneath contempt.

As I said, we don't get no respect.

OL FU
April 24th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Wrong. It's about Appalachian State and Montana and Youngstown State and Delaware and, yes, Furman. To these people Division I is Southern Cal and Florida State and Michigan. The rest is club football and beneath contempt.

The quote was from Marshall, the biggest low life scum sucking idiots to ever win a national championship. Blundering Turds.

If Georgia Southern had gone I-A and made the statement I would pay attention. If UD had gone I-A and made the statement I would pay attention. PS, I understand why you posted and I have no problem with the fact that it bothers you. It only bothers me because Marshall has not fallen into one of the West Virginia trenches never to be seen again.

But let me state my opinion, Marshall is not worth the time. Unless you are bashing the crap out of them and then they deserve every thing they get.

And no I am not surprised they made the comment either from stupidity or arrogance. When you live in a third world state you have to do something to boost your ego.

OL FU
April 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Did I say I hate Marshall?

Just in case I didn't, I hate Marshall

OL FU
April 24th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Sorry Carney2,

I know it sounded as if I was dismissing the thread and it should be discussed. So again Sorry.

But honestly, I would not expect otherwise from the Herd. :rolleyes:

walliver
April 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM

To most people College Football is Southern Cal and Florida State and Michigan. To the "average fan", BCS is all that counts, and Texas is the defending National Championship. The press routinely refers to non-BCS-IA as "mid-major" - they don't count either. You can change names of divisions all you want, but we are still in the second or third level of College Football (I tend to count non-BCS and I-AA scholarship programs in the same group).

When schools support I-AA football teams it isn't for the nation publicity (Bayou Classic excepted, there is none), it isn't for the big buck$ (they aren't there) - it's because these schools enjoy football and believe that football is worthwhile. On this board, people frequently become preoccupied with the National Championship and lose sight of the fact that it's the regular season we play for. Each game is a championship in itself, bringinf alumni (and their wallets) back to campi across the country to enjoy college football. The play-offs are something nice to do after the season.

Unless you spend mega millions on football you will never get the kind of national attention some posters here want. Over the last several years, there have been posters from the various I-AA Champions who start downplaying I-AA and start begging to go I-A. My take on that it that these fans are upset that their team won the highest level NCAA Championship in football ... and the general public doesn't care.

I don't think anything will change. Even if you put all of Division I in the same "division", the same schools will still have all the money and publicity.

OL FU
April 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM
"A record 17,346 fans turned out for the Green-White spring game, which included a tribute to the members of the 1996 Division II national championship team."

This quote about the Marshal University spring game is from Sports Illustrated online - folks who should know better.

Interesting, that division II football team was probably the best team Marshall ever put on the fieldxlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Unless you spend mega millions on football you will never get the kind of national attention some posters here want. Over the last several years, there have been posters from the various I-AA Champions who start downplaying I-AA and start begging to go I-A. My take on that it that these fans are upset that their team won the highest level NCAA Championship in football ... and the general public doesn't care.

It may be true that some people's expectations will never be met concerning their football teams. But from my perspective, I really am starting to see headway with folks in being aware of the I-AA Championship game, and this year's game I felt was a great representation of our level of play. (Did anyone ever get the Nielsen numbers on the game? Did more people tune in last year than this year?)

When Colgate made the I-AA Championship finals, I tuned into Tim Russert's Saturday show, where he was interviewing Andy Rooney, a Colgate grad. He dropped the fact that Colgate was in the I-AA Championship, and cynical Andy had a broad smile for his alma mater. He knew. He followed.

Sometimes we want everything now, but I think if you see where I-AA came from 10 years ago, and where it is now, you'll see it's grown incredibly from a bunch or regional leagues to a country-wide phenomenon. We went from near-zero national attention to a decent amount of national attention. It's getting better, and it looks like it will continue to get better.

You say nothing will change - I beg to differ. I think it already has changed, and is continuing to change. Maybe not as much as some would like, but it undoubtedly is changing for the better.

PapaBear
April 24th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Unless you spend mega millions on football you will never get the kind of national attention some posters here want. ... I don't think anything will change. Even if you put all of Division I in the same "division", the same schools will still have all the money and publicity.

Beating them them on a regular basis will change things faster and more thoroughly than all the money in the world.

We must beat them on the field. Not just once in awhile, but routinely. At least as often as they beat us. Preferably more.

That is football, friends. That is the "family values" of our sport.

(We need a "broken record" icon for me to use with this speech. I feel like I give it once a month, at least. It's disturbing that so few posters on here seem to get it. Makes me wonder how many real football guys I'm talking to.)

GeauxLions94
April 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Tell us how you REALLY feel about the Hundering _urd! xlolx

griz&beer
April 24th, 2006, 08:15 PM

I hate them too. :mad:

dungeonjoe
April 24th, 2006, 08:21 PM
The quote was from Marshall, the biggest low life scum sucking idiots to ever win a national championship. Blundering Turds.

ouch. remind me not to get on your bad side :D

April 24th, 2006, 09:56 PM
ESPN ratings for the I-AA Championship Game since 1998.

1998: .7
1999: .9
2000: .9
2001: .9
2002: 1.0
2003:
2004: 1.25
2005: 1.19

Some 2005/6 I-A Bowl Game ratings:
Silicon Valley Classic Troy-Northern Illinois 0.6
Continental Tire Boston College-North Carolina 1.8
Motor City Toledo-Connecticut 1.7
MPC Computers Virginia-Fresno State 1.7
Las Vegas Wyoming-UCLA 1.9
Fort Worth Marshall-Cincinnati 1.6
Champs Sports Syracuse-Georgia Tech 1.9
New Orleans Southern Miss-North Texas 1.4

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060115155627545

OL FU
April 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM
:o :o :o :o :o

Furman has had lots of strong rivalries over the years. Before my time, USC and Clemson, during my time GSU, ASU (and others) and probably the most heated and vicious, the Citadel, just ask Citdog if he ever shows up again. Stories, of graffitt, fights, horses with their eyes poked out come to mind with the Citadal. Marshall may not have been a rival in truest since of the word (Long tradition, etc). But there is only one school that I can truly say, I hate and that is Marshall. I have no respect for their accomplishments. I had to put up with their basketball success along with their grossly arrogant fans during the 80's only to watch the NCAA investigation say, Boys you cheated. And my guess is the 90's football program was no different. (Libel?, sue me). The sad thing is that their football success could be such a wonderful story. Football team wiped out in a plance crash and the rebuilding that occurred later. I know I am biased, but any accomplishment of Marshalls is in my opinion severely tarnished. And press releases that contain errors may be honest mistakes, but I would believe ignorance or arrogance first.

OK, I'm done. and I still hate Marshall:splat:

EagleCrusade
April 25th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I am in complete agreement with the Furman.

Pards Rule
April 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM
But thats exactly why I like I-AA. No 100,000 people stadiums, now many with luxury boxes! Hell, just last year Lafayette fans were picking splinters out of their behinds after a game. I-A football is too much like the pros.

The Gadfly
April 25th, 2006, 08:44 PM
waa waa Welcome to the Dangerfield Club waa waa

Coastal Carolina University (founding member)

Wofford

Montana State

North Dakota State

Who else?

blukeys
April 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM
:o :o :o :o :o

Furman has had lots of strong rivalries over the years. Before my time, USC and Clemson, during my time GSU, ASU (and others) and probably the most heated and vicious, the Citadel, just ask Citdog if he ever shows up again. Stories, of graffitt, fights, horses with their eyes poked out come to mind with the Citadal. Marshall may not have been a rival in truest since of the word (Long tradition, etc). But there is only one school that I can truly say, I hate and that is Marshall. I have no respect for their accomplishments. I had to put up with their basketball success along with their grossly arrogant fans during the 80's only to watch the NCAA investigation say, Boys you cheated. And my guess is the 90's football program was no different. (Libel?, sue me). The sad thing is that their football success could be such a wonderful story. Football team wiped out in a plance crash and the rebuilding that occurred later. I know I am biased, but any accomplishment of Marshalls is in my opinion severely tarnished. And press releases that contain errors may be honest mistakes, but I would believe ignorance or arrogance first.

OK, I'm done. and I still hate Marshall:splat:

I never had the pleasure of visiting Huntington West Virginia and based on the reports of people who have been there I think I will continue to avoid the place. Delaware played there 3 times in the 90's and everyone who came back swore they would never go again for any reason.

The reports were of an uncommonly rude and ungracious group of people whose poor sportsmanship and lack of grace began long before the game began and continued long afterward.

A friend of mine played for Eastern Kentucky in the late 70's and he swore that Marshall and it's fans were the worst. He stated that it was a bad idea to remove your helmet on the sidelines.

I can understand why WVU avoided playing them for years. It 's a shame anyone has to play them.

Mr. C
April 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Huntington, W.V. is my second-least favorite city in America. Taft, Ca. is No. 1. Some might remember that Taft was written up by Sports Illustrated back in the 70s after the racists in town ran all of the black football players from the local JC out of town. The people in Huntington were always rude and arrogant. The town was dirty. You had a hard time getting a decent meal etc., etc. etc.

Old FU, you have nothing to worry about in terms of libel. Truth is an absolute defense against libel. Bob Pruett's Marshall teams were convicted by the NCAA of various violations that started while the Blundering Turds (I always liked that nickname) were still a part of I-AA.

OL FU
April 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Huntington, W.V. is my second-least favorite city in America. Taft, Ca. is No. 1. Some might remember that Taft was written up by Sports Illustrated back in the 70s after the racists in town ran all of the black football players from the local JC out of town. The people in Huntington were always rude and arrogant. The town was dirty. You had a hard time getting a decent meal etc., etc. etc.

Old FU, you have nothing to worry about in terms of libel. Truth is an absolute defense against libel. Bob Pruett's Marshall teams were convicted by the NCAA of various violations that started while the Blundering Turds (I always liked that nickname) were still a part of I-AA.

(clears throat). Thanks, but it's OL FU:D

Husky Alum
April 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM
But thats exactly why I like I-AA. No 100,000 people stadiums, now many with luxury boxes! Hell, just last year Lafayette fans were picking splinters out of their behinds after a game. I-A football is too much like the pros.

You haven't lived until you've sat in the back of your SUV watching a Northeastern game from the end zone and eating some of the finest tailgate food outside of a catered Ivy League bash (ok, so shamelessly self promotiongmy culinary attributes here). There are about 15 spots in the end zone at NU where we tailgate, eat, drink, etc. and don't have to move one iota to see the game. THAT's football. ;)

If anyone wants to stop by before a game when you're playing at NU, just let me know ahead of time so we can cook enough in advance and make sure the "drinkables" are appropriately accounted for.

A couple of you have stopped by already, so just give me a heads-up!

UAalum72
April 27th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Wofford

Montana State

North Dakota State

Who else?

The entire Northeast Conference, Pioneer Football League, and MAAC - or are we in the 'Oh are you still here?' Club?

Pards Rule
April 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah - I have been in Huntington WV on a few occasions for work. They just got their first Starbucks at Pullman Square. I have stayed there oon Friday & Sat. nites...very very quiet!

Ivytalk
April 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah - I have been in Huntington WV on a few occasions for work. They just got their first Starbucks at Pullman Square. I have stayed there oon Friday & Sat. nites...very very quiet!

If you want a gourmet restaurant in Huntington, you have your choice of two Mickey D's. And the rumor is that Marshall teams wear green to match the (Randy) moss on their fans' teeth -- what few they have left!:p

Oh, this isn't the Marshall smack thread? Never mind...

April 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Wofford
Montana State
North Dakota State
Who else?Sorry but once you've won a national championship in D-I football you are prohibited from entering that club.