PDA

View Full Version : what state has the best fcs/fbs team. make your argument (something a little fun)

WOCO
October 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I vote the state of SC. Grant it that the gamecocks lost but clemson and wofford are a holding up the state. what do you think.

Gil Dobie
October 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
At this point NDSU has the best FBS team in ND or MN. ;)

JmuSkinsfan
October 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
If Tech hadn't lost to Clemson ... I'd say Virginia with Vt/JMU

Honestly ... most years ... it'll likely be Virginia with UR/WM/JMU coupled with a usual top 15 VT

I think it's gotta be SC right now though ... Wofford and Clemson

A case could also be made for Georgia Southern and Georgia (esp. considering tradition)

WOCO
October 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
If Tech hadn't lost to Clemson ... I'd say Virginia with Vt/JMU

Honestly ... most years ... it'll likely be Virginia with UR/WM/JMU coupled with a usual top 15 VT

I think it's gotta be SC right now though ... Wofford and Clemson

A case could also be made for Georgia Southern and Georgia (esp. considering tradition)

Think you mean georgia tech and not talking tradition. I mean right now

CropDuster
October 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Currently

#1 Georgia Southern and #13 Georgia Tech. Both undefeated and running the flexbone.

frozennorth
October 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Currently

#1 Georgia Southern and #13 Georgia Tech. Both undefeated and running the flexbone.

This in a landslide. Clemson/woford the only real competition.

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
don't forget 3-1 Furman SC fans

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
A few more worth throwing out:

Northern Iowa/U of Iowa - but probably not this year for the Hawkeyes
SIU/Illinois - but probably not this year for SIU, the U of IL v U of WI game should be fun
SHSU/Texas - not sure if either will be there in the end, but look good now
McNeese/LSU - not sure about McNeese, but obviously potential
Jacksonville St/Alabama or Auburn - see above
Youngstown St/Ohio St - not this year, but usually OSU and if YSU would ever get back to where they were
Indiana St/Notre Dame - it'd be interesting if both these could take the next step at the same time

As for this year - Clemson is a lock to win the ACC because of the antique offense that Georgia Tech runs. Likewise, GSoU will be beat by Wofford and could lose to Furman or App as well.

So have to go with Wofford/Clemson

CropDuster
October 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM

SIU/Illinois - but probably not this year for SIU, the U of IL v U of WI game should be fun
Youngstown St/Ohio St - not this year, but usually OSU and if YSU would ever get back to where they were
Indiana St/Notre Dame - it'd be interesting if both these could take the next step at the same time

As for this year - Clemson is a lock to win the ACC because of the antique offense that Georgia Tech runs. Likewise, GSoU will be beat by Wofford and could lose to Furman or App as well.

What's with your hate of the flexbone/GSU/GT? Did Paul Johnson **** your mom or something?

GT and their antique offense beat Clemson TWICE in 2009.

1andDone
October 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Alabama- With Alabama/USA just kidding.
Seriously Georgia

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
What's with your hate of the flexbone/GSU/GT? Did Paul Johnson **** your mom or something?

GT and their antique offense beat Clemson TWICE in 2009.

Oh yeah, I remember 2009 - that was like, 2 years ago right?

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Oh yeah, I remember 2009 - that was like, 2 years ago right?

So that offense became antique in this 2 years since then?

frozennorth
October 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM

I think he is trolling.

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 11:14 PM

It was antique then too. Just because it's an antique doesn't mean it can't work.

Even antique rifles can still fire straight.

I'd just rather use a gun that was mfg'ered this century.

McNeese75
October 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM

I was wondering how a #13 FBS team teamed with a #1 FCS was considered better than the #1 FBS plus anyone.

pike51
October 3rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
It's Georgia hands down... I mean UGA and GSU make it pretty good... but don't forget GA State! :)

Oh wait... my mistake, it's Tennessee!! I mean UTC takes care of this argument all by itself!

/end thread

Apphole
October 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
It's ain't North Carolina. The FBS in the state blows. Until we take the scene of course....

UNIFanSince1983
October 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
I am thinking it is Louisiana. I mean LSU is the best college football team this year (any division), and McNeese is not a slouch of a team.

Don't get me wrong Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech are good, but LSU is really really good!

appfan2008
October 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM

it may be antique but it wins football games... which is the point!

MplsBison
October 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
it may be antique but it wins football games... which is the point!

Players win games.

Look, if my QB throws a brilliant hail mary pass and my wide out makes an catch in the endzone ..... but oh look, I had the other wide out doing an hand stand on the field!! What a genius strategist!! Give all the credit to the coach on that one!!!

Schemes like the option are just gimmicks. They're all the same - it's an athlete running with the ball and scoring.

msusig
October 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I am thinking it is Louisiana. I mean LSU is the best college football team this year (any division), and McNeese is not a slouch of a team.

Don't get me wrong Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech are good, but LSU is really really good!

2011-2001
MSU - 83-38
LSU - 107-29

bojeta
October 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
The way things sit now.... if it has to be a combo... ya.. gotta agree. It's probably Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern. I'm hoping I can say differently as the year goes on. I hope to be saying Stanford and Cal Poly in a few weeks :)

Terrierforlife
October 4th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Goota agree, Clemson, Wofford right now. Both top ten squads. Tech and Southern a close second.

eaglewraith
October 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Players win games.

Look, if my QB throws a brilliant hail mary pass and my wide out makes an catch in the endzone ..... but oh look, I had the other wide out doing an hand stand on the field!! What a genius strategist!! Give all the credit to the coach on that one!!!

Schemes like the option are just gimmicks. They're all the same - it's an athlete running with the ball and scoring.

Shhhhh....smart football fans are talking. This is too grown up for you.

eaglemachine
October 5th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Players win games.

So your saying that since we run the ball first instead of passing our offense is a gimmick?

Let me get this straight so your saying passing the ball to a guy in the endzone is genius compared to running the option and somehow finding a way to slip by the other teams defense time after time when the other team knows there is a 90% chance you are going to run the ball, they just can't stop it. That must be a gimmick.

Pass first offenses are for pansies. The option when run correctly and how GSU, Tech, Navy and Wofford run it is a thing of beauty to watch.

Sycamore51
October 5th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've got to go with Valpo and IU! Oh wait, we're looking for the best and not the worst.

gsu6trophies
October 5th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison View Post
Players win games.

Okay, I'm wasting my time here, but if consistently winning isn't enough for you, I don't know what will be.

Obviously your trolling. Not going to do it. Letting it go. Not going to waste my time.

asumike83
October 5th, 2011, 09:27 AM
1. SC: FCS - #5 Wofford and FBS - #8 Clemson, #18 South Carolina
2. GA: FCS - #1 Georgia Southern and FBS - #13 Georgia Tech
3. VA: FCS - #7 James Madison, #9 William & Mary, #14 Richmond and FBS - #21 Virginia Tech

As for the triple option, it is about as exciting as watching paint dry if you don't have a rooting interest in the team running it but it is not a gimmick. It is good, old-fashioned, hit you in the mouth football. When run properly, it protects a lead as well as any offensive scheme out there and really tires out a defense.

alvinkayak6
October 5th, 2011, 09:58 AM
It's not really fair to handpick teams that only best make your case.

Sure, South Carolina has the Gamecocks & Tigers at the FBS level, and it has Wofford, Clemson, Furman, South Carolina State, Coastal Carolina, and the Citadel at the FCS level...It also has Charleston Southern.

Any picks from Alabama are going to be buoyed by Alabama & Auburn but pulled down by UAB.

Texas IMHO may have been playing the best football right now. UT is undefeated, Texas Tech is undefeated, Sam Houston State is undefeated, University of Houston is undefeated. Texas A&M has lost 2 good games and will still contend for the Big 12 title. SMU and TCU are good teams this year. Baylor is having an up year. Texas State is having a decent year. Texas is pulled down mostly by Rice and UTSA.

Eaglesrus
October 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM
It's not really fair to handpick teams that only best make your case.

Sure, South Carolina has the Gamecocks & Tigers at the FBS level, and it has Wofford, Clemson, Furman, South Carolina State, Coastal Carolina, and the Citadel at the FCS level...It also has Charleston Southern.

Any picks from Alabama are going to be buoyed by Alabama & Auburn but pulled down by UAB.

Texas IMHO may have been playing the best football right now. UT is undefeated, Texas Tech is undefeated, Sam Houston State is undefeated, University of Houston is undefeated. Texas A&M has lost 2 good games and will still contend for the Big 12 title. SMU and TCU are good teams this year. Baylor is having an up year. Texas State is having a decent year. Texas is pulled down mostly by Rice and UTSA.

Ouch! if we have to include all teams I guess that Savannah State and GA State knock Georgia out of consideration.