PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 6

carney2
October 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
A big thank you to Harvard's Ivytalk for holding my leash at the Harvard-Lafayette game. He kept me from (pick one) (1) leaving in disgust, (2) beating on Kick the Can Dan, who I (almost literally) ran into at halftime, (3) climbing onto the roof of Bourger to retrieve the ball that the Harvard kicker miraculously suspended there, (4) seppuku.

Week 6 Games:

HOLY CROSS @ Brown
LEHIGH @ BUCKNELL
COLGATE @ Monmouth
GEORGETOWN @ Wagner
FORDHAM @ Penn

Bye: LAFAYETTE

The Patriot League is 13-12 Year-to-Date vs. OOC:

vs. Big East 0-1
vs. Big South 1-1
vs. CAA 0-5
vs. Ivy 6-4
vs. MVFC 0-1
vs. NEC 3-0
vs. PFL 3-0

STANDINGS:
(Patriot League W-L is listed first, followed by overall W-L)

Bucknell 1-0, 4-1
Holy Cross 1-0, 2-2
Georgetown 1-1, 3-2
Lehigh 0-0, 4-1
Colgate 1-1, 2-3
Fordham* 0-1, 1-3
Lafayette 0-1, 1-4

*Ineligible for League championship and auto-bid.

van
October 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
4-1 last week, didn't count on Eachus' return making the Gate D so much better.

Off to Vegas this week, so getting my picks in early.

I like HOLY CROSS over Brown
LEHIGH finally gets a clean game going and trounces BUCKNELL, I hope
COLGATE runs over and around Monmouth
GEORGETOWN continues win, could be close over Wagner
FORDHAM and Penn deserve to tie as both are underachieving, I usually go with home team in these cases, but since I am going to Vegas, going against the odds and picking the Rams to butt the Quakers

Bogus Megapardus
October 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
I can't seem to find the picture I made of the guy with the leopard-spotted paper bag over his head. I need to change my avatar, but a seppuku image, even in jest, might be unseemly on a family-friendly board such as this.

van
October 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
I can't seem to find the picture I made of the guy with the leopard-spotted paper bag over his head. I need to change my avatar, but a seppuku image, even in jest, might be unseemly on a family-friendly board such as this.

I like the seppuku idea, can you insert the IT caricature too?

carney2
October 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Also out of town later this week, so getting them in early.

HOLY CROSS @ Brown – Not that the Crossers have a lot to prove at this point, but this is something of a show me game. Brown is not all that bad.

LEHIGH @ BUCKNELL – I am a big Buffalo fan at the moment – and not just because they are playing the team I love to hate. This one just doesn't compute, though.

COLGATE @ Monmouth – Not a game that will tell us much, if anything, about the phoenix that may or may not be Colgate.

GEORGETOWN @ Wagner – Beating up on Lilliputians is not a bad idea when you've seen the sights that the Hoyas have seen for the past decade.

FORDHAM @ Penn – Whither scholarships? Not much to show for being two years into the great revolution.

Bye: LAFAYETTE – A day that has been greatly anticipated in Pardville since halftime of the North Dakota State game. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, along came Harvard and a humiliation beyond total. Tavani is riding another dead horse. The calls for coaching change (assistants at this point) are beating like a jungle drum on the Lafayette board.

Bogus Megapardus
October 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I like the seppuku idea, can you insert the IT caricature too?

Not sure what the IT caricature is - but I might go with a stylized seppuku kanji in Pantone 202.

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
GEORGETOWN @ Wagner – Beating up on Lilliputians is not a bad idea when you've seen the sights that the Hoyas have seen for the past decade.

Entering 2011, Georgetown was 1-18 in October in the Kelly era. Now 1-19.

Ken_Z
October 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
A big thank you to Harvard's Ivytalk for holding my leash at the Harvard-Lafayette game. He kept me from (pick one) (4) seppuku.

carney a samurai, whooda thunk it.

LEHIGH @ BUCKNELL – I am a big Buffalo fan at the moment – and not just because they are playing the team I love to hate.

admit it, you root for the Bison just cause you want me to be happy

Pards Rule
October 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Lafayette at BYE (-14): Bye capitalizes on Pard turnovers and forces Shoop into two more inexplicable interceptions in the end zone and wins going away, 34-6.

RichH2
October 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
a quickie ( and not in the best way but she's off shopping)

Cross
lehigh
Hoyas
Gate
Fordham

5-0 last week a repeat would be nice

Ivytalk
October 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
:D
Also out of town later this week, so getting them in early.

HOLY CROSS @ Brown – Not that the Crossers have a lot to prove at this point, but this is something of a show me game. Brown is not all that bad.
LEHIGH @ BUCKNELL – I am a big Buffalo fan at the moment – and not just because they are playing the team I love to hate. This one just doesn't compute, though.

COLGATE @ Monmouth – Not a game that will tell us much, if anything, about the phoenix that may or may not be Colgate
GEORGETOWN @ Wagner – Beating up on Lilliputians is not a bad idea when you've seen the sights that the Hoyas have seen for the past decade

FORDHAM @ Penn – Whither scholarships? Not much to show for being two years into the great revolution.

Bye: LAFAYETTE – A day that has been greatly anticipated in Pardville since
halftime of the North Dakota State game. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, along came Harvard and a humiliation beyond total. Tavani is riding another dead horse. The calls for coaching change (assistants at this point) are beating like a jungle drum on the Lafayette board.

I knew it was karmic when that first PAT ended up on the roof of the Bourger cupola. Carney is a heckuva guy who's forgotten more about FCS football than I'll ever learn. And Pard4Life is, well, 20 years younger than I pictured him. That makes him what, 60? Anyway, it was great company, and Tavani's rants about a few missed calls were worth the price of admission ($8.00)! I agree with carney's picks for the week.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Lafayette at BYE (-14): Bye capitalizes on Pard turnovers and forces Shoop into two more inexplicable interceptions in the end zone and wins going away, 34-6.

Come on, that's ridiculous.

Bye wouldn't be any more than a six point underdog, at best.

carney2
October 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM

All so plausible EXCEPT I'm betting we've seen the last of Andrew Shoop. I have inside information that there was a secret midnight disinterment at an Easton cemetery on Saturday following the Harvard game. Let the word go forth to the Patriot League:

THE FRANKOSAURUS LIVES!

crusader11
October 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
How in the world was Harvard only giving 6 points to Lafayette? Easy, easy $.

Bogus Megapardus
October 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
THE FRANKOSAURUS LIVES!

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6403/frankosaurusrelax400.png

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM

OK, I give. What does it mean?

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Entering 2011, Georgetown was 1-18 in October in the Kelly era. Now 1-19.

Seriously, what do you suspect is the problem? Is it injuries? Just a letdown?

Bogus Megapardus
October 2nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
OK, I give. What does it mean?

The avatar (in school-prescribed Pantone 202 maroon) is traditional Japanese kanji, or script, meaning "Seppuku." "Seppuku" is the formal name for "hara-kiri."

The avatar is a tribute to Carney's post #1, above.

RichH2
October 3rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
Pards should enjoy the week off. Time to settle on a qb and find an OL and rest D. Tavani needs to play for the next season, get the underclassmen in and fire 'em up. May have lots of mistakes but have those anyway. BUT may find some great plays alsoxthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Seriously, what do you suspect is the problem? Is it injuries? Just a letdown?

After three or four weeks, I think opposing teams have broken down the film and know exactly what the offense is up to. You don't go from 125 rushing yards vs. Yale to (-3) vs. Bucknell without defensive adjustments.

carney2
October 3rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Pards should enjoy the week off. Time to settle on a qb and find an OL and rest D. Tavani needs to play for the next season, get the underclassmen in and fire 'em up. May have lots of mistakes but have those anyway. BUT may find some great plays alsoxthumbsupx

No rest. The problem is attitude. Tavani has promised full pads wars this week to find out who really wants to play.

CFBfan
October 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
After three or four weeks, I think opposing teams have broken down the film and know exactly what the offense is up to. You don't go from 125 rushing yards vs. Yale to (-3) vs. Bucknell without defensive adjustments.

I had the dis-pleasure of attending the game: the O-Line was terrible all day and whenever Campenella goes in he carreis the ball, easy to read for the D. a losing combo for sure
After a an uninspired 1st half the D played well in the 2nd 1/2 but the O could do nothing.
Without some game plan changes this could get ugly (ier)

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5103/practicethisweek.png

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
I had the dis-pleasure of attending the game: the O-Line was terrible all day and whenever Campenella goes in he carreis the ball, easy to read for the D. a losing combo for sure

PL teams appear to be getting the message. Campanella has 229 yards in 3 non-conference games, just 11 yards each in two PL games.

CFBfan
October 3rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
PL teams appear to be getting the message. Campanella has 229 yards in 3 non-conference games, just 11 yards each in two PL games.

yes I agree and not that much per carry vs Yale. They need to throw the ball when he is back there, play action etc so teams can't crowd the box on him.

RichH2
October 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I think he is not reacting well here, your Frankosaurus. Beat up a team already reeling by full pad practices in an off week.xconfusedx Idiotic move.Spend the week teaching and coaching. Correct errors. he can play Wack aMole with them the next week

carney2
October 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I think he is not reacting well here, your Frankosaurus. Beat up a team already reeling by full pad practices in an off week.xconfusedx Idiotic move.Spend the week teaching and coaching. Correct errors. he can play Wack aMole with them the next week

I respectfully disagree. The problem is attitude, not injuries, not fatigue, and not talent. Not saying the Pards are playing with the best talent in the League or even close to it. Just saying that there is too much talent to go 3-18 against Patriot League competition. Not sure that you can pound pride, determination and desire into people (psychologists say no), but Tavani is literally out of options. He used to make a motivational living out of "us vs. them." Whether it's the facilities upgrade, the few years of winning or what, there is something akin to a sense of complacency or entitlement and the kids, IMO, have stopped listening to Frank, and his assistants aren't doing him any favors. His offensive line coach, for instance, has an impressive resume, but is a screamer and a curser and not much of a teacher and motivator. I really don't know if Frank is capable of it, but he needs a new message. He isn't going to invent one in the middle of a season so, one more time, this is all he's got.

TheValleyRaider
October 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Colgate gets back on track, and so do I. 5-0 last week puts me at a strong 24-5 for the year

Holy Cross at Brown Holy Cross Crusaders had a tough day up in Durham, and for a lesser team, a road trip to Providence could bode ill. HC, though, does not appear to be a lesser team, or at least not this season. Crusaders bounce back and head into PL play with a win over Bruno

Lehigh at Bucknell Lehigh The Bison put a thumping on Georgetown, and suddenly find themselves ready to make a real dent in the PL race. A home game agains the prohibitive favorite is usually ripe ground for an upset. Lehigh, meanwhile, continues to churn along, and now heads into the League schedule looking to make good on its early victories. Bucknell has been a nice story this year, but there's trouble for them on the horizon this Saturday

Colgate at Monmouth Colgate Still not sure what to make of the Raiders. The return of Eachus somehow made the entire team better, or at least gave the defense the ability to make some plays and keep Fordham down. Or, maybe the Rams just aren't that good. Either way, now the 'Gate faces a road test against a team that's bitten them once before and nearly did so in last year's opener. It would be nice to head into the back half of the season with at least one win outside the friendly confines of Hamilton

Georgetown at Wagner Georgetown Is the Hoya swoon underway? I'm not going to write off their October just because they lost a PL game to another resurgent squad, but the signs are there for worry in DC. A potential cure for those ills? The Wagner Seahawks, coming off a thumping at the hands of SUNY-Ithaca. It's entirely possible Cornell is at least decent this year (they did beat recent G'town vanquisher Bucknell), but I'll take Georgetown to right the October ship, at least temporarily, on Staten Island

Fordham at Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Taking one on the chin against Colgate (again) has to be disappointing for the Rams after what looked like a fairly promising start (all opponents considered). Rumblings from the Bronx have begun regarding the performance of Tom Masella (of course temporarily overshadowing the ever-present din of dissatisfaction regarding the management of their fellow borough-ites the Yankees), though this is not the kind of school where his status will change week to week. Lucky for him, because a trip down to Franklin Field is not usually the cure for what ails you. Although, the Quakers have lost this year to Lafayette....

ngineer
October 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM

From what I'm reading in the press, Tavani seems to be holding tryouts this week to see who still wants to play. Full pads and contact next three days...may even consider two-a-days (;-). Bye can't can't come at a more opportune time, but still may win.
My picks:

Holy Cross may have a tough time with the Bruins and somewhat of a letdown after a valiant losing battle at UNH. Still, I expect the Crusaders to prevail, 24-17.

Lehigh played a great second half against Yale. Could be a great spring board for League play, though catching the Bison on a wave of confidence with their finest start in a decade. I suspect Bison will try all sorts of tricks to pull off the ''big upset", so the Mountain Hawks will need to be focused. Bison play tough, but Lehigh wins, 38-21.

Colgate has Eachus back and maybe their mojo. Monmouth, though, feeling their oats too. I expect a very close game. Colgate in a nail-biter, 31-30.

Georgetown needs to show it can bounce back and Wagner is the perfect opponent. Georgetown repairs its psyche, 35-17.

Penn hard to figure, and Fordham erratic. Who the hell knows about this one. At Franklin Field I give the Quakers the edge, 20-17.

jimbo65
October 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
HC over Brown

Lehigh over Bison

Monmouth over Gate

GTown over Wagner

Rams over Quackers, from the heart not the mind.

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Fordham at Penn - Occasionally I take a peek at the Fordham Message Board. The Patriot League there remains a pariah; Fordham's membership in the PL is the most vilified event since Vatican II allowed Mass in the vernacular. Fans long since have left the PL, its non-scholarship attitude and its Academic Index, in the rear-view mirror. The Rams are movin' on up and not lookin' back. So what do they do? They schedule a different team with an Academic Index and a strict no-scholarship policy. This is no way to petition the CAA, boys. Penn 28-17

Lehigh at Bucknell – Of the Top Ten Things to Do in Lewisburg (http://www.lewisburgpa.com/things-to-do/top-ten-things/), attending a Bison game only makes it to number 7. And they're talking about basketball at Sojka – there's no mention whatsoever of the Bucknell gridiron. By the time the Drinker Twinkies get done harvesting the Bovinae Saturday evening, they might even knock basketball off that list. Lehigh 38-17

Holy Cross at Brown -– It's either the Transitive Property of Inequalities or the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon (I get the two confused), which posits Harvard's win over Brown plus the Holy Cross victory over Harvard to equal defeat for the Bears in this one. Something has gotten into the Crusaders that didn't come from that water fountain near the practice field. Holy Cross 31-21

Georgetown at Wagner - This coulda been the Hoyas' return trip to Hanover to close out a home-and-home with Dartmouth. But noooo . . . the Media-Adverse Monsignors of M Street weren't about to stoop so low as to agree to a return trip to Greenland. The Ersatz Bulldogs deserve what they get here. Wagner 24-17

Colgate at Monmouth – Snooki, JWwow and their pals could come by to cheer on the home team. But doubtless they've never heard of Colgate. "Is that as good as Brookdale?" (laughing manically at own toothpaste joke.) In order to pick this game, I polled ten residents of the Jersey Shore, but none could locate Hamilton, New York on a map. And only two realized that New York is "a whole state." Colgate 28-24

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Lehigh at Bucknell – Of the Top Ten Things to Do in Lewisburg (http://www.lewisburgpa.com/things-to-do/top-ten-things/), attending a Bison game only makes it to number 7. And they're talking about basketball at Sojka – there's no mention whatsoever of the Bucknell gridiron. By the time the Drinker Twinkies get done harvesting the Bovinae Saturday evening, they might even knock basketball off that list. Lehigh 38-17

I guess Lafayette will reluctantly keep Bucknell as a desirable opponent, for before catching a game at Christy Matthewson stadium, the items "Shop Till You Drop", "The Paragon Ragtime Orchestra", and "Immerse Yourself in the Arts!" list higher as potential "things to do". No word if puppet shows count as "art immersion", but I heavily suspect it does.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
This coulda been the Hoyas' return trip to Hanover to close out a home-and-home with Dartmouth. But noooo . . . the Media-Adverse Monsignors of M Street weren't about to stoop so low as to agree to a return trip to Greenland.

Ummmm....Georgetown hasn't played Dartmouth since 1916. Anyway, this is the return game for Wagner last year.

http://www.hoyafootball.com/games/opponents-d.htm

Sader87
October 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Staten Island...Hanover, NH....I always confuse the two.

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Ummmm....Georgetown hasn't played Dartmouth since 1916. Anyway, this is the return game for Wagner last year.

http://www.hoyafootball.com/games/opponents-d.htm

Staten Island...Hanover, NH....I always confuse the two.

Oh, come on, you remember - Georgetown had an offer of a home-and-home with the Green:

"Georgetown, a logical match-up competitively and philosophically, is happy to host us, but has no interest in coming to Hanover . . ."

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=204772892

Wagner is the matchup that the Hoyas chose instead. Six on one, half dozen on the other, right?

And Staten Island is in New Jersey. Sheesh. Everybody knows that.

Pard4Life
October 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
New Jersey doesn't want Staten Island... Parkway driving is much easier north of Perth Amboy as all of the Staten Islanders head for 440... it took me like 8 minutes from the Goethels to the Verrazano once, no traffic, but usually it takes 30 minutes... awful place...

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Oh, come on, you remember - Georgetown had an offer of a home-and-home with the Green:

That's in 2015...and no, that's not the return game from 1916.

Georgetown is probably interested in a series with the Indians, but like a lot of series it can't justify three and four game home schedules as a result. The Hoyas are finding it hard to fill future schedules with any non-conference opponents other than, say, Marist or Davidson, and frankly needs more home games in 2015 and 2016.

Any other I-AA schools interested in playing in Washington? (crickets...)

CFBfan
October 4th, 2011, 07:48 AM
That's in 2015...and no, that's not the return game from 1916.

Georgetown is probably interested in a series with the Indians, but like a lot of series it can't justify three and four game home schedules as a result. The Hoyas are finding it hard to fill future schedules with any non-conference opponents other than, say, Marist or Davidson, and frankly needs more home games in 2015 and 2016.

Any other I-AA schools interested in playing in Washington? (crickets...)

next season isn't too bad: In addition to Wagner GU has Brown (plus 3 PL's) home and Princeton away which isn't too far and a nice match up:
3 Ivies next season: Brown, Princeton and Yale and finish with 2 PL home games (BU and HC)

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2011, 08:43 AM
next season isn't too bad: In addition to Wagner GU has Brown (plus 3 PL's) home and Princeton away which isn't too far and a nice match up:
3 Ivies next season: Brown, Princeton and Yale and finish with 2 PL home games (BU and HC)

A very nice schedule for the Hoyas. Will the Howard game continue? It really should.

Pard4Life
October 4th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Well when cheerleaders are not allowed at MSF and you can't bring your own TV crew, who wants to go to DC? Lafayette doesn't even want to go there but we kind of have to...

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Well when cheerleaders are not allowed at MSF and you can't bring your own TV crew, who wants to go to DC? Lafayette doesn't even want to go there but we kind of have to...

Hate traveling? Approve a bylaw that requires 7,000 seat minimums for stadiums. Problem solved.

The cheerleader story seems to be a new wrinkle on the Lafayette conspiracy theory. Teams used to bring cheerleaders and bands (Lehigh, Holy Cross, and Brown come to mind) but the real problem is that there really isn't enough sideline width in the MSF footprint. This may be more of an issue with LC not wanting additional personnel on their narrow sidelines than anything else.

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Lafayette cheerleaders take up much less space on the sidelines than . . . shall we say . . . some "others" I've seen recently.

CFBfan
October 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM
A very nice schedule for the Hoyas. Will the Howard game continue? It really should.

they are not on next years schedule and all 11 games are scheduled.
2013 has some openings, maybe they pick it up then???

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2011, 09:18 AM
My understanding is that Howard is a one year deal. There are those within the Howard program who would prefer the Bison stick to HBCU series in the non-conference, even if it means D-II schools (Fort Valley State, Morehouse, Lincoln, etc.).

Howard has scheduled a few non-HBCU's in recent years (Furman, Holy Cross) and got clobbered. They've got Morehouse back on the schedule and I think this is the direction they will go.

Over the years, Georgetown has not had a clear direction on scheduling--for years, the Ivy wasn't interested and there was this odd mix of teams which has generated no interest from fans. A few more Ivies are coming around but let's be honest, they're looking for an early win. I don't sense the confidence at Georgetown to pursue regional opponents that are more challenging because the talent base is thin.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hate traveling? Approve a bylaw that requires 7,000 seat minimums for stadiums. Problem solved.

The cheerleader story seems to be a new wrinkle on the Lafayette conspiracy theory. Teams used to bring cheerleaders and bands (Lehigh, Holy Cross, and Brown come to mind) but the real problem is that there really isn't enough sideline width in the MSF footprint. This may be more of an issue with LC not wanting additional personnel on their narrow sidelines than anything else.

Teams don't bring cheerleaders and bands anymore due to cost considerations. Those athletics budget cuts have to come from somewhere - and, remember, when the athletics department subsidizes the band's trip to DC, they have to subsidize a trip for, say, the women's bowling team to go to Texas, thanks to the magic of Title IX.

Ironically, it takes the opportunity of both male and female undergrads to travel around the country to perform and support their team - because it's the support structure for a "male sport". Still like Title IX? xmadx

ColgateTD
October 4th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Holy Cross
Lehigh
G'town
Penn
Colgate - why do we schedule these types of teams?

colorless raider
October 4th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Holy Cross
Lehigh
G'town
Penn
Colgate - why do we schedule these types of teams?

I predict a much closer game than with Fordham. Monmouth beat Vilanova by the way. Would i rather play Princeton for historical reasons? Yes, but maybe they don't want to play Gate.

Bogus Megapardus
October 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Some Lines for You:

Yale (-3.5) vs Dartmouth o/u 46

Sacred Heart (-3.5) at Columbia o/u 46

Harvard (-11.5) at Cornell o/u 39.5

Holy Cross (-1.5) at Brown o/u 43.5

Lehigh (-14) at Bucknell o/u 48.5

Hampton (-15) vs Princeton o/u 47.5

Monmouth (-1) vs Colgate o/u 53

Georgetown (-1.5) at Wagner o/u 51

Penn (-12) vs Fordham o/u 40

Other games of interest:

New Hampshire (-11.5) vs Villanova o/u 61

Old Dominion (-3) at Rhode Island o/u 59.5

James Madison (-3) vs Maine o/u 38.5

Delaware (-7) vs William & Mary o/u 31

Towson (-2.5) vs Richmond o/u 41

ngineer
October 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Teams don't bring cheerleaders and bands anymore due to cost considerations. Those athletics budget cuts have to come from somewhere - and, remember, when the athletics department subsidizes the band's trip to DC, they have to subsidize a trip for, say, the women's bowling team to go to Texas, thanks to the magic of Title IX.

Ironically, it takes the opportunity of both male and female undergrads to travel around the country to perform and support their team - because it's the support structure for a "male sport". Still like Title IX? xmadx

Other than when Lafayette is away, the band only makes one away trip due to cost issues. This year it was to Princeton where they put on a good show and sounded great in that venue with the sound bouncing off all the concrete.

Bogus Megapardus
October 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Looking at the GPI thread got me thinking - Assuming Lehigh wins the PL and maintains a strong ranking/poll position, would you rather have a home playoff game in the first round, or a bye?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Looking at the GPI thread got me thinking - Assuming Lehigh wins the PL and maintains a strong ranking/poll position, would you rather have a home playoff game in the first round, or a bye?

Why not both? xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Why not both? xlolx

Yup! IF Lehigh does run the table i think a bye with a home game is quite possible. Lehigh's resume has the potential to be very solid.

I'd really like to see the PL get two teams in the playoffs this year. LU and HC appear capable of doing serious damage with a decent draw.

ngineer
October 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
A bye on Thanksgiving weekend would be a welcome respite. People get to heal up. A home game December 3 would be wonderful.

Bogus Megapardus
October 6th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Assuming that you knew the Round Two game would be on the road, would you rather have a Round One game at Goodman, or a bye?

RichH2
October 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM
All things being equal, I just want thre to be a Round One, bye ,home ,away not too vital. A good matchup, a healthy squad and some nice weather are the important issues. Most important goal is simply to beat the team in front of you. Not worry about who you play next or who you could have played or where the game is or could have been.

Of course would not turn down any advantagexnodx, just not going to spend any time or effort worrying about it.
Right now our only concern must be Bucknell and specifically their defense:)

Bogus Megapardus
October 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
All things being equal, I just want thre to be a Round One, bye ,home ,away not too vital. A good matchup, a healthy squad and some nice weather are the important issues. Most important goal is simply to beat the team in front of you. Not worry about who you play next or who you could have played or where the game is or could have been.

Of course would not turn down any advantagexnodx, just not going to spend any time or effort worrying about it.
Right now our only concern must be Bucknell and specifically their defense:)

Actually, I think that playing down at Appalachian State was even cooler that playing at home. I guess it depends on where you're playing. Going to a storied venue such as Georgia Southern, App State or Montana is a great experience for the players.

alvinkayak6
October 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Lehigh is going to get a playoff at-large even if it fails to win the PL. What are the odds for a team like Holy Cross, though? Or maybe Bucknell?

DFW HOYA
October 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM
The PL is a one bid league. That's the perception out there.

Franks Tanks
October 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM

I believe 2005 was the last year the PL got two teams in. Lafayette recieved an at large bid, and was the last team in by virtue of our win over A-10 co-champs Richmond.

If Holy Cross loses to Lehigh ,and nobody else the rest of the way, they will be in the discussion, but the stars will have to line up. It also depends on the resume's of the other teams fighting for the last bid or two.

RichH2
October 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Crusaders would have to root for CAA teams to beat themselves up. At this point does not seem that any of the other usual multibid leagues will get less than 2.

crusader11
October 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Crusaders would have to root for CAA teams to beat themselves up. At this point does not seem that any of the other usual multibid leagues will get less than 2.

Or we just beat Lehigh and take the auto-bid...while the Mt. Hawks receive an at-large bid with a 9-2 record.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM
20-9 Overall

Georgetown 28 Wagner 24 - This should be a close game.
Colgate 35 Monmouth 27 - The Raiders at home with a healthy Eachus are too much for MU.
Penn 31 Fordham 24 - Things aren't going well in the Bronx.
Holy Cross 35 Brown 31 - This one could go either way imo. The Bears will be tough at home.
Lehigh 41 Bucknell 24 - I can't see Bucknell slowing down the Lehigh offense.

The weather is going to be outstanding! Hopefully there's some good attendance numbers.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Lafayette had a great shot at an at large in 2009 until Lehigh beat them.

Leopard Loyalist
October 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
These seem to be the consensus picks:
HOLY CROSS @ Brown
LEHIGH @ BUCKNELL
COLGATE @ Monmouth
GEORGETOWN @ Wagner
FORDHAM @ Penn

5-0 last week, 22-7 for the season

crusader11
October 6th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Lafayette had a great shot at an at large in 2009 until Lehigh beat them.

Assuming Lafayette did beat Lehigh, they would have been 9-2 with their only losses to Holy Cross (PL champions) and a 9-3 Liberty team. Think they would have received a bid over 7-4 Weber State? I can tell you this much, they definitely would have given William and Mary a better game than they did.

TheValleyRaider
October 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Or we just beat Lehigh and take the auto-bid...while the Mt. Hawks receive an at-large bid with a 9-2 record.

This is actually more plausible. Lehigh does seem more likely to pick up an at-large than HC, especially as the Crusaders seem to lack a significant win and don't have the advantage of polling high through the season's first half

Colgate 35 Monmouth 27 - The Raiders at home with a healthy Eachus are too much for MU.

Almost. This one's down in Joisey. We may still pull it out, but not on the Frozen Tundra

Southsider
October 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM
20-9 Overall

Georgetown 28 Wagner 24 - This should be a close game.
Colgate 35 Monmouth 27 - The Raiders at home with a healthy Eachus are too much for MU.Penn 31 Fordham 24 - Things aren't going well in the Bronx.
Holy Cross 35 Brown 31 - This one could go either way imo. The Bears will be tough at home.
Lehigh 41 Bucknell 24 - I can't see Bucknell slowing down the Lehigh offense.

The weather is going to be outstanding! Hopefully there's some good attendance numbers.

Thought this game is at MU?? Can anybody confirm??

ngineer
October 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thought this game is at MU?? Can anybody confirm??

Game is at Monmouth. I think it will be a close one. With Eachus, I give edge to Raiders, but likely in the 31-28 range.

Ken_Z
October 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
HOLY CROSS 34 @ Brown 16: 800 years later the Crusaders have converted me; I'm a Believer (or maybe it's the Monkees, or Smash Mouth, or Eddie Murphy who converted me)

LEHIGH 27 @ BUCKNELL 28: Lehigh 37 Yale 7; Yale 37 Cornell 17; Cornell 24 Bucknell 13 ==> Lehigh 74 Bucknell 13 the fallacy of transitive property of football is established QED

COLGATE 27 @ Monmouth 24: is Gate back with Eachus? is Monmouth only a middle of the pack NEC team? please Gaters please, i cannot take Tokio Aceinthehole returning to the airwaves spewing his NEC propoganda (notice how i tied this one into carney's Japanes seppuku theme of the week). okay, enough rambling, I'll try to be more concise on my next pick.

GEORGETOWN 31 @ Wagner 28: ditto

FORDHAM 14 @ Penn 23: Fordham is on a mission. unfortunately that mission appears to be to prove to the PL Presidents that scholarships are not necessary.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
FORDHAM 14 @ Penn 23: Fordham is on a mission. unfortunately that mission appears to be to prove to the PL Presidents that scholarships are not necessary.

xlolx Ken_Z from downtown!

CrusaderBob
October 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
4 -1 last week

21 - 8 Overall

Almost a Patriot Road Warrior weekend.

HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH

COLGATE

GEORGETOWN

Penn

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I should probably start picking these again, eh?

Holy Cross 34, Brown 31 - The Crusaders need this game a lot more than Brown needs it.

Lehigh 41, Bucknell 24 - you can read why here (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/10/game-preview-lehigh-at-bucknell-1082011.html).

Colgate 35, Monmouth 23 - Eachus, for better or worse, IS this team, and with him back, they win this easily.

Georgetown 21, Wagner 10 - The Hoyas may have found a team in a worse October swoon than themselves.

Penn 35, Fordham 14 - Weren't scholarships supposed to make the Rams a powerhouse?

Pard4Life
October 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Last week 4-1, overall 21-8.

Holy Cross 34, Brown 31... very tempted to pick Brown based on they are usually a tough game for the Saders and they had an emotionally draining lost last week. But this is a solid team and it's gut-check time.

Lehigh 48, Bucknell 14... the touchdown song is played many times; older alumni fooled into thinking Bucknell is on the road to the Palm and Orange Featival in Miami. No phantom traveling calls help Bison to victory today.

Colgate 28, Monmouth 23... to Each according to his ability (not much on this field today), to Each according to his need (much need all-around except Gate's ground game)... tricky pick based on Monmouth's recent Ws but they haven't seen an Eachus

Georgetown 5, Wagner 4... oh this will get ugly... Hoyas close to another meltdown.

Penn 28, Fordham 17... Inquirer: Fordham won't be what Penn expected. Al Balogna: "Now we're playing a much different team than we thought we were scheduling." They're right ya'know!!