PDA

View Full Version : Maine is a contender this year

BlueHenSinfonian
October 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Congrats to the Black Bears for their performance today. Maine showed considerable skill on both sides of the ball, and look to be a legitimate contender for the CAA title this year.

The Dukes need to watch out - this isn't the pushover Maine of years past.

UNH Fanboi
October 1st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I'm worried about them. They play UNH tough even when they're not good.

WrenFGun
October 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
I like the way Maine plays. Don't make a lot of mistakes and always have some talent; they always seem to just fall short, but I think they're always a threat.

danefan
October 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
Looks like our loss to Maine may not have been as bad as we thought

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
Looks like a top-15 squad to me. Maybe even better.

WrenFGun
October 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Looks like a top-15 squad to me. Maybe even better.

..I think Delaware was likely overrated as much as Maine underrated...

BlueHenSinfonian
October 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM

Maybe some. Delaware is playing like two different teams this year. When they're hot, UD is a top 5 team easy, but when things aren't clicking I don't know if they would be ranked. The key will be finding some consistency, and I think all UD fans, myself included, hope this loss comes as the wake up call needed to instill the importance of discipline throughout the game.

Side Judge
October 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Maybe some. Delaware is playing like two different teams this year. When they're hot, UD is a top 5 team easy, but when things aren't clicking I don't know if they would be ranked. The key will be finding some consistency, and I think all UD fans, myself included, hope this loss comes as the wake up call needed to instill the importance of discipline throughout the game.

Or to at least cleanly snap the football...

BlueHen86
October 1st, 2011, 09:21 PM

This years UD team doesn't impress me. We'll be lucky to finish 7-4. Even 6-5 isn't a given.

superman7515
October 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
This years UD team doesn't impress me. We'll be lucky to finish 7-4. Even 6-5 isn't a given.

Agree. We don't have a good track record the year after a playoff appearance under Keeler. And this isn't even a shot at him, just stating that's it's typically feast or famine (that '04 team should have been a bigger feast but that's another topic).

BlueHenSinfonian
October 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM
Agree. We don't have a good track record the year after a playoff appearance under Keeler. And this isn't even a shot at him, just stating that's it's typically feast or famine (that '04 team should have been a bigger feast but that's another topic).

'04 wasn't bad following the '03 dream season, though a deeper playoff run would have been nice. So far we're off to a better start than the disastrous '08 season. The remaining games are all very winnable. Maine in Orono and Rhody in Kingston are always tougher games than they appear given the team stats.

This years team has suffered more from apparent lack of effort than from lack of talent. If the coaching staff can whip them into shape and use today's game as the wake up call and lesson they need, the rest of this regular season gives us a very achievable road to the playoffs.

BlueHen86
October 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM
'04 wasn't bad following the '03 dream season, though a deeper playoff run would have been nice. So far we're off to a better start than the disastrous '08 season. The remaining games are all very winnable. Maine in Orono and Rhody in Kingston are always tougher games than they appear given the team stats.

This years team has suffered more from apparent lack of effort than from lack of talent. If the coaching staff can whip them into shape and use today's game as the wake up call and lesson they need, the rest of this regular season gives us a very achievable road to the playoffs.

On the other hand, none of the remaining games are automatic wins. The playoffs are possible, but the Hens will have to play better than they have up til now. I'll feel a lot better if they win next week.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
Where is Maine Jeff at? Is he still calling for Jack Cosgrove's head after this?

Squealofthepig
October 2nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
On the other hand, none of the remaining games are automatic wins. The playoffs are possible, but the Hens will have to play better than they have up til now. I'll feel a lot better if they win next week.

Agree - and the Hens will need five of the last six games to be playoff eligible, which is no easy feet (though it appears they do get their toughest opponents at home:

vs. W&M
vs. UMass
@Rhode Island
@Towson
vs. Richmond
vs. Villanova

Definitely possible, but far from easy. What a strange year for the CAA.

Maine has the opposite issue - they only need four wins, but they have a tough road ahead, quite literally, with away games at JMU, Richmond, Nova and UNH, plus home games against Rhode Island, Towson and UMass.

Tubby Raymond
October 2nd, 2011, 05:43 AM
Where is Maine Jeff at? Is he still calling for Jack Cosgrove's head after this?
He will not give Cozzy an ounce of credit for this W. This was UM's 8th win vs UD in 31 tries.

UD gave up 475 yards of total offense. Brutal.

State Line Liquors
October 2nd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Credit Maine for rising to the challenge in the 4th quarter, completely turning the momentum and withstanding the elements. They were the better team. I think if the Black Bears can continue to put together strong efforts like that, they really have a very good shot at making some noise in the conference and the playoffs.

This was really a team loss for the Hens. I understand those who talk about UD's reputation in years following a good playoff run, but I really don't see how yesterday's performance can be blamed on the coaching staff for some kind of weakness. Yesterdays loss was a result of getting whipped in several areas of the game, and compounding Maine's solid performance with our players having significant mental lapses. I think the gameplan was good enough to win. It was the execution that hurt us.

Our back 7 on defense was frequently out of position. We still haven't found a way to properly transfer the ball from the center to the quarterback in a shotgun. and on and on...

Need to get our mind's right for W&M or we're in very big trouble. Yesterday has to be reviewed and then left behind. This will be a big test of maturity and leadership this week as it would be pretty easy to have an emotional letdown after a thorough loss like this.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM

Don't count on it. Ask Pitt what they think, .... 7 sacks, hail mary away from losing to the Black Bears, .....

UNHFan
October 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
I agree with most UNH Fans here Maine is dam good! I watched the whole Pitt game to see what they are about.

danefan
October 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
And don't let the relatively close score at Albany fool you. The game was over in the first quarter and if Smith had connected with one or two of the wide open receivers it would have been a blow out.

Srdnaty
October 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM

In fairness to Maine Jeff it did take cosgrove 20 years to win 100 games.

Normally this is a game where Maine falls apart and looses in the second half. This team was a major dissappintment last year. This type of play was what I was hoping for last season.

I am a believer this year.

Pards Rule
October 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Would like to play the Black Bears again - last time was my senior year - 1983!!!