PDA

View Full Version : Polls This Week

paward
October 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
This week polls should fit the words of my late, loving and wonderful grandmother:

It is going to be a "Red Hot Mess"

Thus far # 3, 6, 10, 12, 17, 22, 23 and 25 have lost. Going to take a little time to sort this one out. Let the chips fall where they may.

Squealofthepig
October 1st, 2011, 06:08 PM
This week polls should fit the words of my late, loving and wonderful grandmother:

It is going to be a "Red Hot Mess"

Thus far # 3, 6, 10, 12, 17, 22, 23 and 25 have lost, with 16 being on the ropes. Going to take a little time to sort this one out. Let the chips fall where they may.

It will be interesting - at least I had Wofford and App right next to each other in my poll, so that one isn't too difficult.

Also, let's all be sure to get our North Dakota and North Dakota State distinctions down; the Sioux were just outside of my ballot last week and will make their way back on the top 25 (along with NDSU, of course).

DOME
October 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Wonder how many people will vote EWU in this week.....

BlueHenSinfonian
October 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
Wonder how many people will vote EWU in this week.....

The win against Weber State was solid, I didn't expect EWU to pull it off. They're still just 1-4 though...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM
I think the top 5 have clearly separated themselves....

1. GSU
2. Montana State
3. North Dakota State
4. Northern Iowa
5. Wofford

The CAA has more top 25 teams than any other conference IMO, but none of the CAA teams should be in the top 5 over any of these.

bojeta
October 1st, 2011, 08:10 PM
I might approach the polls this week the same way Homer Simpson approached coaching :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjI7_BKU9s

DOME
October 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
The win against Weber State was solid, I didn't expect EWU to pull it off. They're still just 1-4 though...

That was my sarcasm referencing the idiots that were still voting them top 25 when they were 0-3.

tribefan40
October 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM

1. GSU
2. Montana State
3. North Dakota State
4. Northern Iowa
5. Wofford

The CAA has more top 25 teams than any other conference IMO, but none of the CAA teams should be in the top 5 over any of these.

I agree at this point, but JMU is making a case...

jmufan999
October 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM

1. GSU
2. Montana State
3. North Dakota State
4. Northern Iowa
5. Wofford

Wofford does not have a better case to be in the top 5 than JMU. We're 3-0 vs. AGS Top 25, they are 1-0. 2 of those 3 wins were on the road, and the other was a 24 point win with our #2 QB and #2/3 RB's (#1 RB was injured very early on).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdGlXRjdNWUNIV0cyaU1zd3RkdVpRS 1E&hl=en_US#gid=0

They probably will be higher in the polls this week, but that doesn't make it right. I'm sure Wofford is a hell of a team, but we have the better resume at the moment. But we're cool with flying under the radar.

achrist70
October 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2. UNI
3. NDSU
4. Montana State
5. Wofford

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
Lehigh should crack the AGS Top 10! They also might do it in the TSN Poll. The last time the Hawks were in the Top 10 was early 2005, i think. That could also be the last time a PL team was ranked in the top 10. HC in '09 might have gotten close before they lost to Bucknell in the season finale.

dgtw
October 1st, 2011, 11:36 PM
I'm still voting Chatty #1. Another fluke loss does not take away from their greatness.

jmufan999
October 2nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
I'm not retracting my statement at this time, but... I'm watching the ASU/Wofford game right now. So far, the Terriers are doing what they always do. Playing with great fundamentals, few errors, and wearing the defense out. And they're looking really sharp. I also think JMU is a top 5 team, the way both of our lines dominated today. We had two backups with 260 rushing yards and 7 sacks on defense. Wofford might be a top 5 team also. Right now, I'm at the 3:16 mark of the 1st qrtr in the game.

This week is definitely going to be tough, as the OP said.

bincitysioux
October 2nd, 2011, 01:09 AM
Also, let's all be sure to get our North Dakota and North Dakota State distinctions down; the Sioux were just outside of my ballot last week and will make their way back on the top 25 (along with NDSU, of course).

Fargo, ND media standards require you to vote twice for either of the North Dakota teams. You are not allowed to vote for both of them...............

Longhorn
October 2nd, 2011, 07:16 AM

1. GSU
2. Montana State
3. North Dakota State
4. Northern Iowa
5. Wofford

Apparently you missed the JMU-UR game yesterday.

Tribe4SF
October 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
Wofford's win over ASU was a good one, but ASU is fortunate they don't have two conference losses at this point. Coupled with Chatty's loss to the Citadel, I'm less impressed with both they, and ASU. JMU has arguably the best defense in FCS, and a running game that is among the best. They get a top five nod from me. They are also showing excellent depth.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Wofford's win over ASU was a good one, but ASU is fortunate they don't have two conference losses at this point. Coupled with Chatty's loss to the Citadel, I'm less impressed with both they, and ASU. JMU has arguably the best defense in FCS, and a running game that is among the best. They get a top five nod from me. They are also showing excellent depth.

If you want to talk about unimpressive wins, what about Richmond against Wagner? Not real impressed there. And what about JMU barely beating Liberty and Central Connecticut State? (Not saying Liberty is bad, but many CAA folks said that Wofford barely beating the OVC champs on the road last year meant they weren't a top FCS team.) Are you going to tell me those ugly wins are less impressive than beating Chatty (who took care of business at Jax State and EKU) by 2?

And honestly, what is more impressive. Losing to Clemson by 8 or losing to UNC by 32 and barely beating Duke?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 2nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Comparing wins against different teams is always dangerous.

What I can say about JMU is that the team is getting better every week, and that includes sustaining injuries to key players, having our QB and backup LB sidelined for drug violations. The O-line is starting to remind me more of the 2004 team, and with Emmons back (he's been injured a lot) our D-line was eating up spiders like a fat guy eats cheetos. Maine is looking stronger, so next week should be the best test for this team until the ODU game in Norfolk.

ODU and JMU are rivals in almost all our other sports, so this will be a classic while also being a first. Look for that game to be the CAA championship game as much as any. The other CAA teams don't impress me as much. New Hampshire is solid, but their defense is not selling me on a seed worthy team yet.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Comparing wins against different teams is always dangerous.

What I can say about JMU is that the team is getting better every week, and that includes sustaining injuries to key players, having our QB and backup LB sidelined for drug violations. The O-line is starting to remind me more of the 2004 team, and with Emmons back (he's been injured a lot) our D-line was eating up spiders like a fat guy eats cheetos. Maine is looking stronger, so next week should be the best test for this team until the ODU game in Norfolk.

ODU and JMU are rivals in almost all our other sports, so this will be a classic while also being a first. Look for that game to be the CAA championship game as much as any. The other CAA teams don't impress me as much. New Hampshire is solid, but their defense is not selling me on a seed worthy team yet.

You got that last comment 100% correct. 'Cats are 4-1 while giving up 43.5 pts per game, .... and scoring only 36.8 pts per game, .... so far, these scores resemble old pre-shot clock Ivy League hoops contests, ....

apaladin
October 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Do you think Furman can get at least one vote this week?

BlueHen86
October 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM

1. GSU
2. Montana State
3. North Dakota State
4. Northern Iowa
5. Wofford

Right now I agree. There is a long way to go, if one of the CAA teams can distinguish itself (finish 10-1 for example) they will be in the top 5, it's also possible that the CAA teams all beat each other and none end up in the top 5.

FargoBison
October 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
This poll is going to be tough, after the first eight or nine teams it is just a mess.

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM

1. GSU
2. Montana State
3. North Dakota State
4. Northern Iowa
5. Wofford

UNH has 3 good wins over Lehigh, Holy Cross, and Richmond. 3 Top 25/ORV teams. Seems pretty good. Wofford has one good win and a close loss to a FBS team.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Voting in the poll has been a fun and humbling (for how wrong one can be proved) experience so far. I don't see my poll as being anything more than a rough guesstimate of the Top 25 week to week with a 2-3 spot margin of error for every team. What I love about an FCS poll is that it eventually works itself out through the playoffs.

My Top 5 this week:
1. GSU
2. UNI
3. Mont St.
4. NDSU
5. Wofford

The order is just based on poll progression through the season so far, but I think all 5 of those teams can be beaten by lower ranked teams.

TheBisonator
October 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Here's what I have, and don't freak out when I say this:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Northern Iowa
3. North Dakota State
4. Sam Houston State
5. Montana State

I think Sam Houston deserves to be in with the other two undefeateds. Their resume is no worse than NDSU's or GSU's.

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
It seems like right now it is the Top 5-8, and then everyone else. Voting sucked again. A lot of work and I still am not that sure.

tribefan40
October 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
If you want to talk about unimpressive wins, what about Richmond against Wagner? Not real impressed there. And what about JMU barely beating Liberty and Central Connecticut State? (Not saying Liberty is bad, but many CAA folks said that Wofford barely beating the OVC champs on the road last year meant they weren't a top FCS team.) Are you going to tell me those ugly wins are less impressive than beating Chatty (who took care of business at Jax State and EKU) by 2?

And honestly, what is more impressive. Losing to Clemson by 8 or losing to UNC by 32 and barely beating Duke?

Yes, wins are more impressive than losses.

Richmond beat Duke. Richmond beat Wagner by more than 2 scores. They lost a close game to UNH, and got crushed by JMU.

Chattanooga played App close in Boone and then lost to the Citadel. At home. JSU is their only win that means anything at this point.

Wofford's win over App at home is impressive, but aside from that, none of their other wins look that good.

JMU has beaten two top-25 programs on the road, and taken apart another at home with backup personel.

It will sort itself out on the field, but JMU is certainly in the conversation for top-5 at this point. xtwocentsx

Milktruck74
October 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Do you think Furman can get at least one vote this week?

Got one from me...actually got 4 pts from me. I had them 22nd.

WOCO
October 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I know you would like to but you cant pretend we didn't almost beat clemson, who is looking like a national power. There is a difference btwn fbs and fcs and when you can play with a real "big dog" it says something.

youwouldno
October 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah I mean, it is not tenable to say that wins are always more impressive than losses. Which is more impressive-

1. Beating a JV high school team
2. Losing on a last-second field goal @ Alabama

Granted, it's an extreme example, but the bottom line is that you have to consider the entirely of a team's resume. Who did they beat, and by how much, and who did they lose to, and by how much.

hvsader
October 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
...expecting a few more votes for Holy Cross. Some stats vs UNH:

Time of possession: HC 34:05 UNH 25:55
Sacks: HC 3 for 15 yds. UNH 1 for 8 yds.
Red zone: HC 5 chances: 3 TDs 2 FGs. UNH 4 chances: 3 TDs 1 FG
First downs: HC 30 UNH 22

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
...expecting a few more votes for Holy Cross. Some stats vs UNH:

Time of possession: HC 34:05 UNH 25:55
Sacks: HC 3 for 15 yds. UNH 1 for 8 yds.
Red zone: HC 5 chances: 3 TDs 2 FGs. UNH 4 chances: 3 TDs 1 FG
First downs: HC 30 UNH 22

Doesn't that scoreboard stat count for something

tribefan40
October 3rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
I know you would like to but you cant pretend we didn't almost beat clemson, who is looking like a national power. There is a difference btwn fbs and fcs and when you can play with a real "big dog" it says something.

Yeah I mean, it is not tenable to say that wins are always more impressive than losses. Which is more impressive-

1. Beating a JV high school team
2. Losing on a last-second field goal @ Alabama

Granted, it's an extreme example, but the bottom line is that you have to consider the entirely of a team's resume. Who did they beat, and by how much, and who did they lose to, and by how much.

My post was not intended to completely dismiss Wofford's game against Clemson, which is looking more impressive as the season progresses. My point was that JMU has impressive wins, not impressive losses, and should certainly be in the conversation as a top team.

TwoFeathers
October 3rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Wofford does not have a better case to be in the top 5 than JMU. We're 3-0 vs. AGS Top 25, they are 1-0. 2 of those 3 wins were on the road, and the other was a 24 point win with our #2 QB and #2/3 RB's (#1 RB was injured very early on).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdGlXRjdNWUNIV0cyaU1zd3RkdVpRS 1E&hl=en_US#gid=0

They probably will be higher in the polls this week, but that doesn't make it right. I'm sure Wofford is a hell of a team, but we have the better resume at the moment. But we're cool with flying under the radar.

Maybe, but I think the reality is that it also matters where they were last week. And I don't see JMU leap-frogging Wofford into the top 5 after Wofford's impressive win against App. They both should move up, but not switch positions. IMO.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
An hour left in the voting this week so get em' in if you haven't.

mcveyrl
October 3rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Right now, we're still talking about who's got the bigger tool when we're all in line to sleep with the chick...I don't care if JMU is ranked 378th this week, if we keep doing what we're doing, we'll see how we stack up against Wofford, Ga. Southern, etc....

LakesBison
October 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
AGS poll and CS.com polls have been by far the most consistent of the year, here's their new one just released today.

Cs.com poll

Week 5 - 10/05/2011

1. Georgia Southern Eagles
2. Northern Iowa Panthers
3. Montana State Bobcats
4. North Dakota State Bison
5. Wofford Terriers
6. James Madison Dukes
7. New Hampshire Wildcats
8. Appalachian State Mountaineers
9. Sam Houston State Bearkats
10. Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
11. William & Mary Tribe
12. Lehigh Mountain Hawks
13. Jacksonville State Gamecocks
14. Montana Grizzlies
15. Indiana State Sycamores
16. Richmond Spiders
17. Maine Black Bears
18. McNeese State Cowboys
19. Southern Utah Thunderbirds
20. Towson Tigers
21. Southern Illinois Salukis
22. Old Dominion Monarchs
23. South Dakota Coyotes
24. Furman Paladins
25. Sacramento State Hornets

Next 10 Receiving Points:
26. Chattanooga Mocs 27. Weber State Wildcats 28. North Dakota Fighting Sioux 29. Norfolk State Spartans 30. Youngstown State Penguins 31. Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles 32. Portland State Vikings 33. Cal Poly Mustangs 34. Liberty Flames 35. Harvard Crimson

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
AGS poll and CS.com polls have been by far the most consistent of the year, here's their new one just released today.

Cs.com poll

Week 5 - 10/05/2011

3. Montana State Bobcats
5. Wofford Terriers
6. James Madison Dukes
11. William & Mary Tribe
14. Montana Grizzlies
16. Richmond Spiders
17. Maine Black Bears
20. Towson Tigers
23. South Dakota Coyotes
24. Furman Paladins

Next 10 Receiving Points:
26. Chattanooga Mocs 27. Weber State Wildcats 28. North Dakota Fighting Sioux 29. Norfolk State Spartans 30. Youngstown State Penguins 31. Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles 32. Portland State Vikings 33. Cal Poly Mustangs 34. Liberty Flames 35. Harvard Crimson

Really?

crusader11
October 3rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Holy Cross isn't even in the "next 10 receiving points"?

crusader11
October 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Still think that the AGS poll is by far the best one out there.

19Duke97
October 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Cs.com poll

Week 5 - 10/05/2011

3. Montana State Bobcats
5. Wofford Terriers
6. James Madison Dukes
11. William & Mary Tribe
14. Montana Grizzlies
16. Richmond Spiders
17. Maine Black Bears
20. Towson Tigers
23. South Dakota Coyotes
24. Furman Paladins

How does that happen? No issues with where Maine is, but I would have thought Delaware would have fallen more