PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Terriers!

asumike83
October 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
A classic example of a young team playing an experienced team. Wofford ran the wishbone to perfection, owned the time of possession and wore down a young Appalachian D. On the other side, ASU could do very little on the ground, did not take advantage of 2 turnovers and squandered some scoring opportunities inside the red zone.

For ASU, I just hope the young guys learn from this experience and get better. Growing pains are just part of the game, it is how you respond that matters.

Great game by Wofford, best of luck the rest of the way.

Squealofthepig
October 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Class, and no excuses. Well done.

I'm still not counting the Mountaineers out yet!

AppAlum2003
October 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
+1 - good post Mike. Wofford dominated and ran their gameplan. I hate that stupid Triple Option... but respect the hell out of it if run to perfection like it was today.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:31 PM
Nice to see props given where they are do. Certain UTC fans could learn from this thread.

ASUG8
October 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
WoCo will go far. App has a lot of work on their hands....I'm not sure if we'd stacked 15 in the box that we could have slowed them to to less than 3 ypc. xsmhx
I'm baffled by the 3 missed threes by App and the failure to go to Quick, but that's just MMQB.

Great game Terriers, and best of luck. Great time tailgating, good crowd.xthumbsupx

Terrierforlife
October 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the positive posts. You guys are great fans and you still have a good team despite the loss. Hope you had a good time in Spartanburg!

Terrierforlife
October 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM
WoCo will go far. App has a lot of work on their hands....I'm not sure if we'd stacked 15 in the box that we could have slowed them to to less than 3 ypc. xsmhx
I'm baffled by the 3 missed threes by App and the failure to go to Quick, but that's just MMQB.

Great game Terriers, and best of luck. Great time tailgating, good crowd.xthumbsupx

It was a windy day. Your kicker has great range though. We doubled Quick most of the day with the safety over the top. We are well aware of his resume. I was a little shocked that you guys didn't throw at least one deep ball to him, however.

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM
To App State's credit, they have a very good defense despite what the stats may say. They had some fast guys who disrupted a few plays and forced 18 third downs. We just were clicking on all cylinders. App's offense is anemic. Part of it is because Wofford's defense is great at the bend-but-don't-break philosophy and we're a real physical front 7 that stops the run. The other part, and probably the bigger part, they didn't throw it to Quick (Thank God). Play calling failed on their part because of that. They need an identity. Wofford played great and did what they needed to do by controlling the clock, the only thing that could stop our offensive execution was ourselves. Penalties were still a problem. Special teams, particularly on Kickoff return is a problem. Our vastly underrated kicker got hurt after our second kickoff (I hope he's okay but it looked grim), good thing our other kicker/punter stepped up and made PATs. Wofford seems more complete this year than it has been in a while. I'm not going to post MMB because my posts over there have been somewhat interpreted as smack (though I haven't been talking smack) and I don't want to give the wrong impression to anyone, please pass that on Neer fans.

Block-A
October 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM
...The other part, and probably the bigger part, they didn't throw it to Quick (Thank God). Play calling failed on their part because of that. They need an identity.

The App play calling in the first quarter, first half was pure yuck. I don't know what the deal is w/ handing off to a man moving laterally across the whole formation & hoping he'll find a hole, but it didn't work. They moved away from that later in the game, but too little too late. With no run threat, Wofford could pressure Presley & double Quick all game. Glad to see Jorden's number finally getting called, but App's WR's not named Quick need to get working. I don't know if Presley just isn't used to them yet or what, but even when they caught passes, they were tackled where they caught it. Presley needs to settle down a little, too- too many high balls, too many tipped balls. Admittedly, both Chat & Wofford D are pretty good, but App's offense has got to get it in gear.

chattownmocs
October 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
Nice to see props given where they are do. Certain UTC fans could learn from this thread.

Props werent do.

Terrierforlife
October 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
Props werent do.

Dude, we succeeded where yall failed. C'mon man!

Terrierforlife
October 1st, 2011, 07:07 PM
Dude, we succeeded where yall failed. C'mon man!

Were u referring to UTC and App?

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2011, 07:07 PM
Want a lesson in offense and protecting the QB Chatty? what about special teams?

Terrierforlife
October 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Want a lesson in offense and protecting the QB Chatty? what about special teams?

We can't help them with special teams. We need all the help we can get there.

dungeonjoe
October 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
It's been a while, guys, but I wanted to drop in and say what a sporting game it was. It was close, and I half expected the ASU team to take a couple of the momentum swings that came their way and score. I still like the SoCon's chances of getting at least 4 (maybe 5) into the playoffs. YT and I saw a couple of the ASU faithful at the Beacon following the game...they were Friendly folk even in the loss. I just hope the Beacon grease doesn't do them in.

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
We can't help them with special teams. We need all the help we can get there.

We can get a FG snap off though

Mntneer
October 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Props werent do.

"do" is spelled due moron.

AppStsGr8
October 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM
A classic example of a young team playing an experienced team. Wofford ran the wishbone to perfection, owned the time of possession and wore down a young Appalachian D. On the other side, ASU could do very little on the ground, did not take advantage of 2 turnovers and squandered some scoring opportunities inside the red zone.

For ASU, I just hope the young guys learn from this experience and get better. Growing pains are just part of the game, it is how you respond that matters.

Great game by Wofford, best of luck the rest of the way.

Well put, Mike. Wofford ran the triple option exactly as it's supposed to be run today and owned the game. Congrats to the Terriers.

TwoFeathers
October 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Huge SoCon win. Congrats Wofford!

Appaholic
October 1st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Props werent do.

Nice to see App wasn't the only team having problems with the triple option today xlolx...seriously, how do you give up a 27 point lead at home? Oh, that's right, UT-C is used to giving up large leads at home....xsalutexxlolx

seantaylor
October 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM
GSU-Wofford will be for the number one seed in the playoffs.

SpeedkingATL
October 1st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Nice win Terriers, thanks for the friendly hospitality. Your offense looked like a machine today.

blueballs
October 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM
GSU-Wofford will be for the number one seed in the playoffs.

If GSU/Wofford is as good as the two meetings last year it will be a GOTY candidate.

asumike83
October 1st, 2011, 09:20 PM
Class, and no excuses. Well done.

I'm still not counting the Mountaineers out yet!

Have to give credit where it is due, they came to play today.

Honestly, I am not either. So many ASU fans are about to jump off the bridge but I am not ready to panic. It was a road loss to the #6 team in the country, not a lot of teams would have fared differently. We have about a half dozen guys in the starting line-up that are either freshman or upper classmen with little to no game experience prior to 2011. The talent is there, the fact that the team has not jelled after 2 conference games is no cause for alarm.

I am very excited about how good this young defense will be and I had no problem with their effort today. There is just no amount of practice that can prepare you for this offense until you see it and the more these kids get game action, the better they will be. I can see gradual improvement in the receiving corps around Quick as well, and the offense will grow as they do.

If a possible "down year" results in a playoff berth and building experience for a base of players that could lead championship-caliber teams in the near future, I am alright with that. Time to take what you learned from the WC offense and get ready for El Cid. Go App!

Apphole
October 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Mark my words, a SoCon school will be hoisting the National Chapionship trophy in Frisco.

SideLine Shooter
October 1st, 2011, 09:31 PM
No question, the better team won today. Thanks for the hospitality and good luck.

appstate38
October 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM
No question, Wofford was the better team... Our youth will hopefully get better from this experience. Play calling has been a mystery to me, especially since Quick is not getting many balls is way. One thing for sure we have a LONG way too go. Good job T-dogs.

AppChicago
October 2nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Honestly, I am not either. So many ASU fans are about to jump off the bridge but I am not ready to panic. It was a road loss to the #6 team in the country, not a lot of teams would have fared differently. We have about a half dozen guys in the starting line-up that are either freshman or upper classmen with little to no game experience prior to 2011. The talent is there, the fact that the team has not jelled after 2 conference games is no cause for alarm.

I have no time for these fans. I'm almost ready for a nice solid down period so we can shed the fairweathers. I mean, if you live in a world where App has never had to struggle, how can you be expected to stick with your team through the lean times?

But I echo the congrats for Wofford. We were outplayed yesterday on every count. I wish you the best, and I hope we don't have to play you again this season.