PDA

View Full Version : Pate - SHSU Starter Heading into Spring Game

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
SHSU's starter is not incumbent Phillip Daugherty or even Noah Allen, it's Wade Pate who will run the first-team offense today in the spring Orange and White game. I think everyone is a bit surprised by this, but it ultimately comes down to things that we, the fans do not see. Whitten knows what he's doing, he's been around practices and we're going to have to trust his judgement.

---------
Last chance to shine in spring

Young Bearkats catch coach’s eyes during offseason workouts
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Wade Pate will get the start at quarterback for the White, or first-team offense today. He will be backed up by Brett Hicks. Phillip Daugherty, Jordan Reever and Noah Allen will take the snaps for the Orange squad.

The battle for the starting quarterback spot has been one of the highlights of spring drills, and right now, it appears Pate will be the No. 1 guy heading into the summer.

“Up until this point, Wade hasn’t turned the ball over this spring, and that is something we have been impressed with,” Whitten said. “He is the only quarterback not to do that so far, and that is important. Right now, because Wade has taken care of the football and made good decisions, he has a step up on the other guys. But all in all, each quarterback has improved.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_113012616.html?keyword=secondarystory

TheRiver
April 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
I have heard form an inside that Noah Allen will not be around come August.

I have been to Practice and I hope someone can stepup. Front D is looking good. WR are look better and improving will be nice to see what they can do in real time action

blackfordpu
April 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
I don't understand Pate being the #1 guy. I know he is talented but everyone has been raving about PD and his talents, especially his arm. I hope this isn't another sign of indecisiveness on TW's part. It could make for another long season.

exbearkat
April 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I have heard form an inside that Noah Allen will not be around come August.
That just doesn't make any sense. Why would Whitten allow him to go through Spring Training only to kick him off the team this Summer?

If Allen remains clean through July the NCAA has stated that his one year suspension will be early terminated and he will be cleared to play the entire 2006 season.

TheRiver
April 25th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Well I don’t think that the coaches have think much of Allan after last year and they know something about him that we don’t know. But I will bet that he will not be the starter and may not be on the team he has other problems I guess maybe grades or something.

During the spring game I did not see a Leader, but the WR looked good and RB look like they’re improving. D did not look as good as they did in past weeks and the O look a little week but I think the summer with help the O in working out and they will be good to go. Wade Pate will be the starter he is the Only QB I see that seams to have the right head on.

exbearkat
April 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Well I don’t think that the coaches have think much of Allan after last year and they know something about him that we don’t know. But I will bet that he will not be the starter and may not be on the team he has other problems I guess maybe grades or something.

During the spring game I did not see a Leader, but the WR looked good and RB look like they’re improving. D did not look as good as they did in past weeks and the O look a little week but I think the summer with help the O in working out and they will be good to go. Wade Pate will be the starter he is the Only QB I see that seams to have the right head on.
Well, all things equal, Allen is by far the most "gifted" qb out of the bunch - there is no denying that - but I think we will be fine with any one of the three (Allen, Pate, Daugherty). However, you may be onto something with the grades thing, who knows. If that is indeed the case, hopefully NA will work his @ss off in the Summer to keep his eligibility intact.

Leader...hmmmm...that is definitely something that every team clearly needs. Keep in mind that several key players didn't even suit up yesterday, and I know of a few that should fit the bill come Fall.

I'll say this, keep an eye on Brandon Perry. He showed some flashes last year, and certainly possesses the tools to be a dominate WR in this league. :nod: