PDA

View Full Version : ODU Gears Up For Football Buzz

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2006, 06:55 AM
Article is linked to. I just copied the stuff of note, such as the financial ramifications that the school is currently under in their effort to get football rolling at the university.

Even has quotes from folks who are against football at the very end.

----------
That buzz continues today. Whether ODU, which is mostly an urban campus like VCU, adds football to its list of sports remains to be seen, but the school is making a determined effort to have a Division I-AA team on the field for the 2009 season.

"I believe that there is a desire and will in the community to support it," said Dr. Roseann Runte, ODU's president for the past 4½ years. "And if they actually follow through on it, we will have it. It depends on the community."

A consultant's report said it would. It also depends on raising $8 million in start-up funds by the end of June. ODU announced Thursday that its fund-raising campaign has surpassed $5 million.

The university has figured the overall cost of getting football off the ground will be at least $30 million.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137835524589&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

Monarch Nation
April 22nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Everything coming out of ODU seems to be positive for football. The Virginian Pilot article referenced in the Times Dispatch article said that we have cleared the land hurdle for the women's sports (new facilities for FH and Lax, since they used Foreman Field) and a new softball stadium, as well as two football practice fields and a football weight training facility.

We are looking forward to playing, realizing that we're going to get our asses kicked in the first few years - but you have to crawl before you can walk; and walk before you can run.

Virginia Pilot article:
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=103343&ran=44560

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
We are looking forward to playing, realizing that we're going to get our asses kicked in the first few years - but you have to crawl before you can walk; and walk before you can run.

You never know. You just have to do it right. Ask Southeastern Louisiana who pulled off an upset over a ranked foe within their first two years and has had moderate success in the SLC...

They brought their football program out of non-existence in short time...

mainejeff
April 22nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
ODU should have things up and running for 2009. That is likely the year that AE Football will start up as well.......so it is good that the CAA will have at least one more member to replace the departing members.

Monarch Nation
April 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
That will still put 7 CAA members in football MJ, with only VCU, GMU, UNCW, Drexel and GaState not playing. Do you think Richmond would follow New Hampshire, UMass, Maine and Rhode Island?

Also, is it official that the AE will have a football league?

Edited to correct an error.

Husky Alum
April 22nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
It's not official, and anyone I talk to who works at or gives money to UMass isn't convinced they're going to play in anything resembling America East Football. The alumni doesn't want to, the coach doesn't want to, so whomever wants to do so will be irking a bunch of people.

MJ's got his ties to the AE Commish, and the AE Commish has his reputation staked on AE Football, so I'm not denying the desire and intent for AE Football.

Just with the various iterations I've seen thrown around, without UMass, it doesn't seem feasible.

blukeys
April 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
That will still put 7 CAA members in football MJ, with only VCU, GMU, UNCW, Drexel and GaState not playing. Do you think Richmond would follow New Hampshire, UMass, Maine and Rhode Island?

Also, is it official that the AE will have a football league?

Edited to correct an error.

Ga State is considering football as is GMU who is getting a big basketball paycheck for their final four appearance. I see both possibilities at 50% but ODU's efforts demonstrate what can happen when the admin. and alumni are postive !!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

The news on AE is supposed to happen in July and we will await to see what happens.

In Football Richmond is going nowhere and will stay with the CAA. That was decided last year. In Basketball competiveness right now the CAA looks very good vs the A-10. Maybe Richmond needs to reconsider which conference best suits their basketball team??:nod:

All the talk of Richmond going to the PL is offseason BS!!!:nod: :nod:

There is no downside for the CAA in the near future. Personally, I would rather see an all sports conference that includes certain football affiliates with the BBall only schools cut loose and recruiting schools like Albany and SBU In an all sports conference that has football. Sort of like an ACC Conference without steroids. Heck, we would actually share the same letters!!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

mainejeff
April 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
I agree with blukeys on Richmond. They will not be a part of the AE football movement. Funny how Delaware fans are now warming up to Albany and Stony Brook.......3 or 4 years after they laughed in my face when I mentioned that both would be players in I-AA eventually........:rolleyes:.