PDA

View Full Version : Long-Time Youngstown State Assistant Coach Bob Dove Passes Away

I-AA Fan
April 21st, 2006, 11:04 PM
This is a huge loss to YSU and college football:

Youngstown -- Bob Dove, a member of the Youngstown State football coaching staff for 23 years, passed away on Wednesday morning. He was 85.
Longtime coach Penguin coaching legend Bob Dove passed away this week. He is unquestionably the biggest fan the university football, and the city of Youngstown has ever had. His impressive resume includes graduating all-city from a local HS, 2-time all-American at Notre Dame, 1942’s college defensive POY & Rockne Trophy winner for outstanding lineman, drafted in the NFL where he played on 4 championship teams, WWII veteran (captain USMC), played in the first NFL all-star game in ’51, coached professionally for the Detroit Lions and the Buffalo Bills, head-coach for UDM and Hiram college, assistant with YSU beginning in 1969, where he remained a figurehead until he passed away two days ago. Officially he stopped being an active YSU coach just after the 1991 championship game, but he was named “coach-emeritus”, and could be seen at any time supporting his team. He a member of the curbstone coach’s hall-of-fame, college football H-O-F, YSU Athletics H-O-F. He was twice Penguin Club Man of the Year, received the National Football Foundation’s Lifetime Achievement Award and the prestigious YSU Heritage Foundation Award. In 1990 Street & Smith Magazine named its 50-Year Anniversary College team. Dove was chosen at defensive end on the second team. He was ranked behind Ted Hendricks of Miami (Fla.) and Hugh Green of Pittsburgh and was ranked alongside Bubba Smith of Michigan State. I was told he almost single-handedly convinced the YSU administration to move up to I-AA in football … truly a loss for everyone that loves the game of football.

AP/ESPN link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2415777)

FlyYtown
April 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
He was one hell of a fan and coach for YSU Football. People wonder what Youngstown football is all about, its about people like Bob.

RIP Bob Dove

rcny46
April 22nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
He had an amazing resume,and based on the AP story,seemed like an exemplary individual both on the football field and off.For what it is worth,my sincere condolences to the entire Youngstown community.