PDA

View Full Version : GSU @ Elon

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM
This should be a good one. I'm predicting a high scoring affair. GSU's Achilles heel seems to be pass defense, at least that's what I gander from the GSU board. The stats are bit misleading though as they've played teams that they've had big leads on and thus the opposition had to throw the ball more. Either way, they have some key injuries on defense in the secondary that could prove to be a huge factor in defending the Air-Raid attack of Elon. GSU's defensive strength IMO is that they stop the run and force you to pass, and they can pressure you to make mistakes in the passing game. Elon's strength is passing the ball (duh) and supposedly have weakness on the OL (can I get a second opinion/correction from an Elon fan please?) and that will be huge in this game. Still, quick passes can neutralize the weakness of an offensive line, for instance Texas Tech beat Nebraska a couple years back like a drum when they had Suh playing DL and TT's offense was average that year. Elon seemed to struggle at times defending the TO against The Citadel, but GSU will come in there and run it faster and more efficiently than The Citadel did last week.

I like GSU in this one at about 35-21 or 35-28. If Elon wins this game it will be close, and we could officially say that they are not a bad team but rather they play on the level of their opponents.

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2011, 08:27 PM
we could officially say that they are not a bad team but rather they play on the level of their opponents.

Seem to be that way for us every year

pike51
September 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
GSU 45 - Elon 17

Won't be nearly as close as you think.

SideLine Shooter
September 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM
GSU 45 - Elon 17

The only reason it would be that close is if you leave the starters in Statesboro for the weekend.

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2011, 08:34 PM
GSU 45 - Elon 17

the jury's out on the iggles offense. They're certainly better than they were last year and Mckinnon is a stud from what I hear, but the most legitimate defense GSU faced was in week one against Samford and when looking at the box score they weren't as dominant (but there is an asterisk there because it was in week one).

Gringer1
September 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Elon dinks and dunks you down the field and that is what we struggle to stop. If the D-line can get sufficient pressure and throw off the offense's timing, we will be fine. If we can't get to the quarterback before he tosses his little 3 yard passes, we might be in trouble.

straightshooter
September 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM
This should be a good one. I'm predicting a high scoring affair. GSU's Achilles heel seems to be pass defense, at least that's what I gander from the GSU board. The stats are bit misleading though as they've played teams that they've had big leads on and thus the opposition had to throw the ball more. Either way, they have some key injuries on defense in the secondary that could prove to be a huge factor in defending the Air-Raid attack of Elon. GSU's defensive strength IMO is that they stop the run and force you to pass, and they can pressure you to make mistakes in the passing game. Elon's strength is passing the ball (duh) and supposedly have weakness on the OL (can I get a second opinion/correction from an Elon fan please?) and that will be huge in this game. Still, quick passes can neutralize the weakness of an offensive line, for instance Texas Tech beat Nebraska a couple years back like a drum when they had Suh playing DL and TT's offense was average that year. Elon seemed to struggle at times defending the TO against The Citadel, but GSU will come in there and run it faster and more efficiently than The Citadel did last week.

I like GSU in this one at about 35-21 or 35-28. If Elon wins this game it will be close, and we could officially say that they are not a bad team but rather they play on the level of their opponents.

The speed of the GSU option is much faster and crisper than how the Citadel runs it, and now the Eagles have added the "gun" option wrinkle and have the ability to pass the ball as well. The Elon O gives lots of teams fits, and I'm sure that they'll frustrate GSU with those little WR screens they love to throw so much. In the end, the GSU speed on both sides of the ball should lead to a GSU win, but the Phoenix could make it interesting if they are having one of those "play like your pants are on fire" days.

straightshooter
September 28th, 2011, 08:55 PM
the jury's out on the iggles offense. They're certainly better than they were last year and Mckinnon is a stud from what I hear, but the most legitimate defense GSU faced was in week one against Samford and when looking at the box score they weren't as dominant (but there is an asterisk there because it was in week one).

When it comes to McKinnon, think Jayson Foster and add 30 pounds - 4.41 speed, good hands and an ability to make people miss. Monken is giving him more touches, which so far has meant trouble for opposing defenses.

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
When it comes to McKinnon, think Jayson Foster and add 30 pounds - 4.41 speed, good hands and an ability to make people miss. Monken is giving him more touches, which so far has meant trouble for opposing defenses.

so I've heard.......ran down his own man, passed him, and made a block :?

The Eagle's Cliff
September 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I agree YT, that the jury is still out on a lot of teams. If GSU has a tough game with Elon that's not something obvious like a bunch of turnovers, then GSU will not be in my Top 10 anymore. I watched the replay of The Citadel @ Elon and both teams looked pretty awful. The Citadel's A-backs were frequently out of position and blocking poorly or not at all and the QB is not reading things very well (yet) either.

GSU's defensive philosophy has appeared to be less aggressive at times this year. That's probably because Coach Pry loved to dial up blitzes. Western's defense is awful, but their offense actually looks better than Elon's to me. Western opened up the game last week and drove the field with the no-huddle pistol quite convincingly and took it in to tie it up 7-7. On that drive, the defense was trying to read and react. For the rest of the game, the defense had it's ears pinned back and the DB's were also playing aggressively. The DB's got burned a couple of times, but the strategy mostly paid off as the QB was hurried and the receivers were harassed enough to throw off the timing of the quick passes. Yards added up, but drives stalled.

I think GSU will get into the 40's again at least and Elon will have to keep up. As a side note for something to watch for: Shaw is as good as it gets with running the offense, but we all know his speed is average at best. McKinnon and Youyute will still miss reads and may make a bad pitch, but if the QB seam is there, bye-bye.

alvinkayak6
September 28th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Elon is not the same without Scott Riddle and a couple of players on defense. Mellette needs 300 receiving yards for this one to be CLOSE. ga. southern 42, elon 14

blueballs
September 29th, 2011, 12:17 AM
GSU has given up yards between the 20's but their first unit hasn't given up many points... They have playmakers on both sides of the ball and speed to burn. They're going to be tough to beat.... not saynig it can't be done, just saying it's gonna' be tough.

The only reason Samford held GSU under 40 was all the fumbles, and turnovers may come back to bite them in the *** somewhere down the line. Still, I see a GSU win of at least 2 TD's, something along the lines of what happened with these two teams last year.

seantaylor
September 29th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Won't be close now that McKinnon and Izzy are playing more. I like Jaybo, but he really is not our best QB. But, those other guys can play all over the field, so it might be better for us. Brent Russell will eat Eloan's line alive. 49-7

phoenix3
September 29th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Three issues for Elon: injuries, turnovers, poor red zone offense. With no turnovers, we might be able to at least be competitive. Injuries, especially Rodney Austin, will loom large.

pike51
September 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Won't be close now that McKinnon and Izzy are playing more. I like Jaybo, but he really is not our best QB. But, those other guys can play all over the field, so it might be better for us. Brent Russell will eat Eloan's line alive. 49-7

The nice thing about Jaybo is his leadership and knowledge of the offense. He's consistant. Jaybe can go in, we can see what they are doing, then switch it up to a more athletic QB and destroy the defense. The speed difference between Jaybo and the other 2 is unreal... just when you get the hang of defending the offense, we're able to hit another gear... not to mention the other formations that throw you for a loop. We're only getting better every week... reminds me of the 98, 99, and 2000 teams.

GaSouthern
September 29th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I think GSU wins by 10

ElonPride
September 29th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Three issues for Elon: injuries, turnovers, poor red zone offense. With no turnovers, we might be able to at least be competitive. Injuries, especially Rodney Austin, will loom large.

Losing Austin was huge. Lack of imaginative play calling in the red zone is a major issue. There's no way Elon can settle for FGs this weekend. Even if this Elon team plays turnover free ball, I still think GSU rolls.

I generally don't predict scores for my own team, but I will for this game. GSU 42 Elon 10.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a knock at Swepson or our players. We have an entirely new coaching staff and new schemes. I'm willing to be patient and see where Sweps takes the team.

gataeagles06
September 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Losing Austin was huge. Lack of imaginative play calling in the red zone is a major issue. There's no way Elon can settle for FGs this weekend. Even if this Elon team plays turnover free ball, I still think GSU rolls.

I generally don't predict scores for my own team, but I will for this game. GSU 42 Elon 10.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a knock at Swepson or our players. We have an entirely new coaching staff and new schemes. I'm willing to be patient and see where Sweps takes the team.

I haven't seen y'all play this year, but 42-10? I know it's a new scheme and coaches for you guys, but didn't realize it was that bad. To me, this is going to be our second big challenge (Samford first) of the year. We tend to have fits with dink and dunk. Not to mention just losing one of our best defensive players for the year. Hoping for a good one! Eagles by 10+

straightshooter
September 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Actually Jaybo is the best QB when it comes to fundamentals and running the offense. He is by no means as physically gifted as the other two, but he still has a better command of the offense. The change of pace with McKinnon and Izzy is most certainly noticeable from the stands. I can only imagine what it's like on the field. The speed of those guys certainly changes the tackling angles for the defense, and if they are a step late...

If Elon felt that the Citadel offense was tough to defense, what GSU is bringing on Saturday will look like a blur.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
September 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I think as far as skill players go....Elon matches up very well with Georgia Southern. HOWEVER, as far as offensive and defensive linemen and Special teams....there is no contest.

SuperEagle
September 29th, 2011, 08:41 AM
so I've heard.......ran down his own man, passed him, and made a block :?
Not what happened at all. He threw an 80 yard pass and then ran down the field and caught it himself. After the catch and score, he went into the endzone and punched Chuck Norris in the face knocking him out cold. Chuck has season tickets and is at all our games.

SpeedkingATL
September 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM
If Elon can limit the turnovers and maybe get a couple from GSU they have a chance, otherwise can't see them outscoring the option. This can be said by most games with the Eagles this year and is the same formula Delaware used last year.

phoenix3
September 29th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I haven't seen y'all play this year, but 42-10? I know it's a new scheme and coaches for you guys, but didn't realize it was that bad. To me, this is going to be our second big challenge (Samford first) of the year. We tend to have fits with dink and dunk. Not to mention just losing one of our best defensive players for the year. Hoping for a good one! Eagles by 10+

Unfortunately we too have trouble with the dink & dunk. It gives more opportunity for turnovers. Again, if we can keep possesion of the ball on offense I give us a chance to be competitive. Do I think we can win with no (Elon) turnovers? The odds are certainly against it, but I'm not going to close the door on us just yet. So far though, I haven't seen evidence that we can control the turnovers.

ElonPride
September 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I haven't seen y'all play this year, but 42-10? I know it's a new scheme and coaches for you guys, but didn't realize it was that bad.

At the moment, yes. We're just not seeing the same team that played the first 3 quarters at Vandy again. If they can play with that intensity in big FCS games, things will be ok. Things looked promising against a much improved SEC team, but then look what happened two weeks later versus NCCU. The turnover bug hit, and Elon was lucky to escape that game after 5 brutal mistakes. There were two big turnovers versus El Cid who isn't a bad team overall, but lack of consistency deep in their territory killed. Their D stood strong in game changing situations, Elon did not.

I think (hope) Swepson is the coach for this program. The players really like him and I like his "school and community" first attitude.

ButlerGSU
September 29th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I just want my Eagles to be 4-0 come Sunday!

PhoenixMan
September 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM
At the moment, yes. We're just not seeing the same team that played the first 3 quarters at Vandy again. If they can play with that intensity in big FCS games, things will be ok. Things looked promising against a much improved SEC team, but then look what happened two weeks later versus NCCU. The turnover bug hit, and Elon was lucky to escape that game after 5 brutal mistakes. There were two big turnovers versus El Cid who isn't a bad team overall, but lack of consistency deep in their territory killed. Their D stood strong in game changing situations, Elon did not.

I think (hope) Swepson is the coach for this program. The players really like him and I like his "school and community" first attitude.

I hope Swepson is the guy for the program also. However, after how he handled the game at the end of regulation last week has me wondering. Let the clock run down, with 3 timeouts, to try and "sure thing" 44 yd FG. It was poor decision making any way you look at it.

GaSouthern
September 30th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I just want my Eagles to be 4-0 come Sunday!

I agree, i'll take a 1 point win all day long.

I really think this will be a close game. If I were coach I'd put laron scott on Mellet(?) all game long.

phoenix3
September 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM
You'll need Scott and at least one more. We don't have much to be cocky about this year, but Mellette will play on Sundays.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 30th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I like the way we match up against Elon.

On one side you have a team that gets lots of passing yards and doesn't get a lot of points (23 points to a team that lost to Savannah State? Really?). On the other side you have a team that gives up a lot of passing yards but doesn't allow many scores (at least the first string :)).

There's no effin way Elon will be able to run the ball on our DL and that will force lots of passing, and with our pass rush we should be able to get some picks. I think GSU's D will manhandle Elon's offense. Unless we have a dismal day of turnovers on offense I think we've got this one.

ElonPride
September 30th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I hope Swepson is the guy for the program also. However, after how he handled the game at the end of regulation last week has me wondering. Let the clock run down, with 3 timeouts, to try and "sure thing" 44 yd FG. It was poor decision making any way you look at it.

Yeah......you can blame that on being a "rookie" mistake, but he has been a football coach WAY too long for it to be labeled that. It nearly cost a W.

I hope that Wilson has completely healed up. This will be a heck of a challenge. Luckily, he is more mobile than Riddle.

GSUhooligan
September 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Luckily, he is more mobile than Riddle.

Good. ManBearPig loves the thrill of the chase when hunting down his prey.

SoCon48
September 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM
You'll need Scott and at least one more. We don't have much to be cocky about this year, but Mellette will play on Sundays.
Along side Hudgins?

blueballs
September 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM

I thought Mellette was a helluva player last year and nothing that has happened thus far this year has changed my mind... that guy is a load. I don't know if he has the flair for the dramatic that Hudgins had (very few players do) but he's awfully good.

Skjellyfetti
September 30th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Along side Hudgins?

xlolxxsmileyclapx

ElonPride
September 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I thought Mellette was a helluva player last year and nothing that has happened thus far this year has changed my mind... that guy is a load. I don't know if he has the flair for the dramatic that Hudgins had (very few players do) but he's awfully good.

Luckily, Elon has Jeremy Peterson back from injury. Wilson was able to spread the ball around to 8 different receivers vs El Cid, and Peterson led the way with 9 receptions. Mellette is the main guy, but others can pick up the slack. Hopefully Wilson will respond well to the pressure.

fc97
September 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Along side Hudgins?

hudgins had a career ending injury. making jokes because of that is in poor taste.

StorminASU
September 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
hudgins had a career ending injury. making jokes because of that is in poor taste.

What was the career ending injury? Running his mouth too much and someone finally shutting him up?

ElonPride
September 30th, 2011, 01:29 PM
What was the career ending injury? Running his mouth too much and someone finally shutting him up?

I think he had some sort of graft on his ankle. I'm not sure if that was the career ending injury or not. He had one before camp last season, but played in preseason.

I agree with FC97, discussion is some what in poor taste.

Skjellyfetti
September 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I honestly had never heard anything about any sort of injury. Just remember him getting cut pretty quickly by the Cowboys... and then nothing.

StorminASU
September 30th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I think he had some sort of graft on his ankle. I'm not sure if that was the career ending injury or not. He had one before camp last season, but played in preseason.

I agree with FC97, discussion is some what in poor taste.

How about all the trash talk he dished out, or the showboating he did, was that in poor taste?

ElonPride
September 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Poor taste? showboating? Doesn't appy have a player SUSPENDED this week for that?

Back on topic.

-----------------------

http://southernpigskin.com/SoCon/view/top-ranked-gsu-preparing-for-elon

STATESBORO, Ga. - No. 1 ranked Eagles hit the road for the second time this season and have the opportunity to remain atop the Southern Conference standings.

“We are in the meat of our conference schedule now and have to travel up to Elon. What a great job Jason Swepson and his staff are doing,” said Head Coach Jeff Monken in the weekly SoCon teleconference.

GSU continued their scoring output defeating Western Carolina 52-20 to improve to 2-0 in the conference. The Eagles lead the SoCon in scoring offense and total offense averaging 48.3 points per game and over 500 yards per contest. The offense tallied the third-best rushing performance in school history with 634 yards in the win over the Catamounts.

“It's great when you can rush the ball for that many yards. It is certainly an indication of being able to control the football and maintain possession which I think is important in our offense. There are still plenty of things we did not do well that we are going to work on and try to get better at,” said Coach Monken.

Elon opened conference play with an 18-15 overtime victory over The Citadel last Saturday. The SoCon's leading receiver Aaron Mellette caught six passes for 97 yards including the Phoenix's lone touchdown. Mellette leads the league with 591 receiving yards and 147.8 yards per game.

“Aaron Mellette is a terrific receiver. If he is not the best receiver in our league, he is one of a few that are really good,” said Coach Monken. “Mellette is special, he has 42 catches in four games.”

Adam Shreiner proved the difference in the contest with the Bulldogs, connecting on four of six field goals including the game winner in overtime. Shreiner missed a 44-yard field goal as time expired in the fourth quarter, but rebounded with a game-winning 33-yard field goal in overtime.

“They did a great job of defending The Citadel this past week and obviously the similarities between The Citadel's offense and ours gives us some concern,” said Coach Monken.

elon77
September 30th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I like the way we match up against Elon.

On one side you have a team that gets lots of passing yards and doesn't get a lot of points (23 points to a team that lost to Savannah State? Really?). On the other side you have a team that gives up a lot of passing yards but doesn't allow many scores (at least the first string :)).

There's no effin way Elon will be able to run the ball on our DL and that will force lots of passing, and with our pass rush we should be able to get some picks. I think GSU's D will manhandle Elon's offense. Unless we have a dismal day of turnovers on offense I think we've got this one.

Force lots of passing? That's what they do, they come out of the locker room passing. Screen passes and short passes to the RB coming out of the backfield work for Elon like running plays. They will on ocassion have a sweep or draw, but they are going to throw the ball a bunch. You aren't going to force them to pass, they are a spread, passing team. To me the key for them is putting the ball in the endzone and not stalling inside the 20. Sometimes it looks to me that they can score a TD better form the 30 or so than they can from inside the 10. Make any since?????????????????????????????????

Eaglesrus
September 30th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Force lots of passing? That's what they do, they come out of the locker room passing. Screen passes and short passes to the RB coming out of the backfield work for Elon like running plays. They will on ocassion have a sweep or draw, but they are going to throw the ball a bunch. You aren't going to force them to pass, they are a spread, passing team. To me the key for them is putting the ball in the endzone and not stalling inside the 20. Sometimes it looks to me that they can score a TD better form the 30 or so than they can from inside the 10. Make any since?????????????????????????????????

Interesting, I said pretty much the same thing about us at one point during our game Saturday.

JSUBison
September 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I'm heading to the game, first time seeing Elon play. Don't have a rooting interest in the game really, but hopefully I can see some good line and RB play by GSU, and see just how good they are.

ElonPride
September 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I'm heading to the game, first time seeing Elon play. Don't have a rooting interest in the game really, but hopefully I can see some good line and RB play by GSU, and see just how good they are.

Have a good time on campus and safe travels. Take a walk around campus if you get a chance......pretty nice!xthumbsupx

blueballs
September 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Yup, defensively the key for GSU will be tackling, which keeps short gains short and keeps them from turning into big plays- and the key for Elon offensively will be to break some of those tackles and pop some big plays as a result, and to not make mistakes which put them behind the chains.

Offensively for GSU, hold onto the ball. Period. They'll move the ball and score as long as they don't turn it over. Defensively for Elon, play assignments and try to force turnovers.

Your post and mine pretty much sum it up, eh?

whoanellie
September 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM
i would love for you to give an honest evaluation of your Elon home game experience. weather forcast says Hi's like 60' early will be 40's wind is picking up as I type.

whoanellie
September 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM
go to the library and checkout the record book.. http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2009&org=1068&player=19
come on man like AE He was a class act. never an excessive celebration penaly
How about all the trash talk he dished out, or the showboating he did, was that in poor taste?

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2011, 07:26 PM
GSU 37, Elon 19.

fc97
September 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I honestly had never heard anything about any sort of injury. Just remember him getting cut pretty quickly by the Cowboys... and then nothing.

how often do they talk about career ending injuries of undrafted rookies in preseason?

he lasted most of preseason. he had pretty descent stats for the time he played. he was popped in practice. that aggravated an old injury severely. seeing that the injury was serious, the cowboys had other options and cut him. he had surgery costing him a season. had tryouts other nfl places and the injury caused to many complications. it ended his arena and indoor options too. career over.

lots of players are trash talkers or jokesters. he had enough in those games to back it up even if the team came short.

classy posts guys, well done.

ngineer
September 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I don't see this being close. GSU much stronger team. Close game only with turnovers, and that one cannot rely upon in predictions. GSU-35 Elon-17

ElonPride
September 30th, 2011, 09:29 PM
lots of players are trash talkers or jokesters. he had enough in those games to back it up even if the team came short.

This is true, even made it to an ESPN for a top grab against UTC. Had the best hands we've seen in this level of ball in quite some time. It really doesn't matter if it panned out in the NFL or not as his records with FCS and the NCAA stand, and will for quite some time.xbowx

elon77
October 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Yup, defensively the key for GSU will be tackling, which keeps short gains short and keeps them from turning into big plays- and the key for Elon offensively will be to break some of those tackles and pop some big plays as a result, and to not make mistakes which put them behind the chains.

Offensively for GSU, hold onto the ball. Period. They'll move the ball and score as long as they don't turn it over. Defensively for Elon, play assignments and try to force turnovers.

Your post and mine pretty much sum it up, eh?

I say we should get a free sub or something for our observations.

JSUBison
October 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
i would love for you to give an honest evaluation of your Elon home game experience. weather forcast says Hi's like 60' early will be 40's wind is picking up as I type.

Well I just got back and here are my thoughts on your campus/program.

I thought your campus not only looked great, but it flowed together nicely as well. I've been on more than a few in my day, and I can't think of a nicer one than Elon. Parking was a breeze, getting around was not difficult at all either.

I thought the stadium would be a bit bigger, but other than that, I did like the style of it and the field itself was a gem as well. After seeing the campus the stadium did not disappoint. No track around it, which always is good, as I can see the action up close. I was surprised at the attendance, thought there would have been more people on a nice day and facing the #1 team. That's the first thing that needs improvement. Easier said than done though, I know. The 2nd is the overall vibe from the fans. It just seemed muted if that makes sense. Laid back if you will. Didn't really seem like there were that many students there either. Unless the students were the one's dressed in polo's with popped collars. xdontknowx. I wandered over to the GSU side, and they seemed more invested in the outcome of the game. xtwocentsx. I know Elon isn't the biggest school around, but I really thought you'd have a bigger band as well. Are you going to have 10000 screaming lunatics in the stands and a SWAC style band? No, but that's not what Elon is. Elon's gameday and presentation I'm guessing is exactly what the fans want/expect. I'm nitpicking a bit here, so don't think I'm dogging you too hard.

Overall, it's a great place for watching a game. Compared to like minded and similarly sized schools, it exceeded my expectations. I would go back again sometime, maybe next year. I like to go to different stadiums during the season just to see different teams and conferences play, but Elon is on my short list of stadiums I would go back to again. xthumbsupx

whoanellie
October 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM
I am so ashamed of our support of our football team, 7100 to see us host the top ranked team and a lot of those numbers made it in late. This is just not acceptable. I do not understand the disconnect between the local potential patrons, students
and local alums. Stadium? We built it !!!! Now where are they? A brand new 13M fieldhouse is giving us a good product on the field. Sure We have a new coach and he's transitioning and We have a good product. I saw the same attendance ills last season while We were on a 4 game winning streak! As an Alum and former player I am not pleased at all. Unappreciated? Your observations were spot on. I am glad your experience was positive I do not recognize MY old school here. But like classic rock & Roll it was better in the 70's!!!
Well I just got back and here are my thoughts on your campus/program.

I thought your campus not only looked great, but it flowed together nicely as well. I've been on more than a few in my day, and I can't think of a nicer one than Elon. Parking was a breeze, getting around was not difficult at all either.

I thought the stadium would be a bit bigger, but other than that, I did like the style of it and the field itself was a gem as well. After seeing the campus the stadium did not disappoint. No track around it, which always is good, as I can see the action up close. I was surprised at the attendance, thought there would have been more people on a nice day and facing the #1 team. That's the first thing that needs improvement. Easier said than done though, I know. The 2nd is the overall vibe from the fans. It just seemed muted if that makes sense. Laid back if you will. Didn't really seem like there were that many students there either. Unless the students were the one's dressed in polo's with popped collars. xdontknowx. I wandered over to the GSU side, and they seemed more invested in the outcome of the game. xtwocentsx. I know Elon isn't the biggest school around, but I really thought you'd have a bigger band as well. Are you going to have 10000 screaming lunatics in the stands and a SWAC style band? No, but that's not what Elon is. Elon's gameday and presentation I'm guessing is exactly what the fans want/expect. I'm nitpicking a bit here, so don't think I'm dogging you too hard.

Overall, it's a great place for watching a game. Compared to like minded and similarly sized schools, it exceeded my expectations. I would go back again sometime, maybe next year. I like to go to different stadiums during the season just to see different teams and conferences play, but Elon is on my short list of stadiums I would go back to again. xthumbsupx

fc97
October 2nd, 2011, 05:10 AM
the answers are two simple reasons.

35% of students are from the south, 50% from the northeast and the rest of either international or the midwest. the south has no pro teams to follow. it is part of southern culture to follow university sports. in the northeast and ohio they have pro teams to follow and following a university team isn't as big. the core of elon students that come are the southern students brought up following university football.

and elon fans are tired of getting our hopes up for let downs. we had lots of hope and then crushes with those coaches from the early part of the decade. we had lembo and team making big promises that never materialized. fans want something to cheer about. fans are tired of crushing loses and mistakes. i've heard fans that used to come make these comments.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
The fact of the matter is that the support of Elon football has always been a negative. The marketing from the Media relations department at Elon has been amazing and they have done everything possible to try and get fans, especially student fans, in those seats. However, Elon Athletics has always had a disconnect with Greek life and no one understands it. From what I have been told about 40% of students from Elon are in fact Greek and they rarely come to sports events. They only come out whether its parents weekend, a fraternity or sorority is hosting an athletic event, or HAVE to be there. Individuals need to also understand that the city of Burlington is also still primarily App Country. If you drive around Burlington, you will see signs and billboards for Appalachian State and also vehicles decked out with App gear. So Elon is just in a bad situation when it comes to attendance, but the one thing I will say is what exactly is Elon football doing in the community to bring in fans? I remember Coach Swepson stated that Elon would be "Champions in the classroom, on the field, and in the community", but from what I have heard, Elon football has been nonexistent in the last part.

FC97- I disagree with your big promises that never materialized....For the last four seasons, Elon has BEEN relevant in not only the Southern Conference, but the nation and that should be enough to cheer about. This team finished over .500 for the last four years, remained in the playoff hunt until the last game in 2007 and 2008. Made the playoffs in 2009. Other teams in the conference would have loved to be where Elon is at and considering where Elon comes from....it says a lot about that program.

fc97
October 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
you're right that marketing does a lot. any many local fans come to games. the greek system is the problem and always has been.

finishing over .500 is a step. fans want to win the big games against big opponents. the lembo coaching job brought us a respectfully good team. he and the team talked a big talk about being a great team. we came up against great teams and every time were on the losing end. it's one thing to be good, but fans want eventual wins that translate into bragging rights.

elon77
October 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
There is another issue that is being missed here. Elon is 60% female and 40% male which probably equals out to 3700 ladies and 2300 gentlemen. My daughter just graduated last year and she wouldn't go to a football game if you paid her, and most of her girlfriends were the same way. I believe if the ratio was reversed their would be more student participation. More guys would be available to go to the game and they would then drag their lady friend with them. When I was there in the 70" we had to drive into Burlington to a stadium that was pretty much a dump. We were NAIA and played the likes of Catawba, Lenoir Rhyne, Newberry, Carson Newman etc. and most of the home stands were full for all home games. It can be done, filling the stadium, but someone needs to figure it out.

PaulsonStadium
October 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have never been to game at Elon. However, in 2009 I made the trip for the GSU UNC game in Chapel Hill. And I was amazed on the amount of universities within driving distance. Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, NC State, Elon and there is probably more than that. I can see why there is an attendance issue at Elon. So many choices to decide "who someone supports". I am talking about the average joe and the average student that grew up supporting another team and has loyalty for this other team. It's a problem in Statesboro too but I think the size of the student body and surrounding area has to do a lot with this.

elon77
October 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
I have never been to game at Elon. However, in 2009 I made the trip for the GSU UNC game in Chapel Hill. And I was amazed on the amount of universities within driving distance. Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, NC State, Elon and there is probably more than that. I can see why there is an attendance issue at Elon. So many choices to decide "who someone supports". I am talking about the average joe and the average student that grew up supporting another team and has loyalty for this other team. It's a problem in Statesboro too but I think the size of the student body and surrounding area has to do a lot with this.

Very good point, and then throw in NCA&T, NC Central, Winston Salem State, Guilford, App. State, Western Carolina, Davidson, Campbell University and it puts a strain on the smaller schools fan base. Then you have the kids that their parents went to State or Carolina and they end up going with their parents to another game. It all hurts Elon's attendence.