PDA

View Full Version : Yale Bowl restoration update

bulldog10jw
May 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Yale Bowl Project Moving Along
$21 Million Restoration Scheduled for 2006 Completion

May 16, 2005

The restoration of Yale Bowl, a project which has been approved by the Yale Corporation, has now officially begun. Substantial completion is projected by the fall of 2006.

http://yalebulldogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051605aaa.html

RadMann
May 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM
It's about time. The place was falling apart. I'm somewhat surprised that it took so long to do given the ample resources of the university.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2005, 10:05 PM
It's about time. The place was falling apart. I'm somewhat surprised that it took so long to do given the ample resources of the university.

Rumor has it they only agreed to upgrade the stadium if the publicly denouced athletic scholarships, foreswore to never go to I-A, and gladly accepted a reduction in the number of coaches and number of games in the season (now, 8 games).

:D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 18th, 2005, 09:59 AM

It's just not Yale Bowl. The last time I attended a hockey game at Ingalls Rink, there were multiple leaks in the roof and so much rain water was dripping into the rink that holes were being formed in the ice! I haven't been to a basketball game in a while, but I think they still play at Payne Whitney which is ancient. I've never understood Yale in this regard.

Despite the splinters and crumbling concrete, Yale Bowl is an awesome spot to watch a college football game! I went to a couple of UConn-Yale games with about 35K in attendance. Must be insane for a Yale-Harvard game!! Because they often get 50K+ for that game, I almost voted it the GOTW, but just couldn't give the Ivy the potential publicity as long as they don't participate in the playoffs.

Fordham
May 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM
"The playing surface in the Bowl will be named after the Class of 1954, which has provided the project's lead gift" I've never heard of that before.

LBPop
May 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Yale Bowl Project Moving Along
$21 Million Restoration Scheduled for 2006 Completion

Hey, maybe you guys could get it done for "only" about $19 Million and send the extra dollars down to us poor folks in DC for our new facility? :(

jimbo65
May 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Very interesting concept naming a field "Robber Barons".

Ivytalk
May 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hell, put a roof on the old lady and call her the Dubya Dome! :D

Husky Alum
May 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I'm gonna wax nostalgic about the Yale Bowl because I must have seen 80% of Yale's home games from 78-84, having grown up a town over.

It's a GREAT place to watch a game (in fact, I belive the Rose Bowl was build with the Yale Bowl as its model), as the layout of the stadium provides great views of the field from almost every seat.

The funny thing is if you're driving around looking for this large stadium, you'll miss it 9 times out of 10 because the stadim is effectively built into the ground.

The place was a pit when I was a kid, and I'm glad they're finally redoing it. I would LOVE NU to play at Yale, but I don't think the Elis would ever go for it.

I still say to this day, coldest football game I've ever been to: Yale-Harvard 1987. ABSOLUTELY Freezing, and Yale choked big time.

As for the Payne Whitney, not sure, but at one time it was the largest gymnasium facility in the world (isn't the pool on like the 3rd floor or something), and I remember touring the place as a kid and seeing the stuffed mascots in the lobby and even the Heisman. The Gym (isn't it called the Lee Ampitheater or something) isn't that big, but frankly, Yale probably doesn't need much more than it has.