PDA

View Full Version : CAA Pickem' Week 5

Spiderbone
September 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Holy Cross at UNH-wildcats continue to roll and roll up the points 38-28
Delaware at Maine-Maine at home takes it to the Blue Hens 28-21
Towson at Merry-land The ugly uniforms too much for the tigers and all of their eyes melt....ahhhhhhh! 16-16 then eyes melt and UM goes up 35-16
UMass at ODU-Monarchs played Delware close, with some questionable calls, ODU pissed and gets revenge on UMass in the Oyster Bowl 20-14
Bill and Mary at Nova-Nova eeks out win as WM continues to struggle on O 5-3
Richmond at Madison-Richmond ruins JMU homecoming, UR has won at JMU past 3 times 34-12
URI at Brown-URI supreme college football program in the state 32-3

HailSzczur
September 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
William and Mary at Villanova Wouldn't have picked this before this weekend's showing against Penn. Was very happy with what I saw, and was especially impressed by the defense. I think with a little bit of confidence under our belts were good for another win or two this season, maybe coming here, vs ODU, or vs Delaware
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

SpeedkingATL
September 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Holy Cross at UNH-Cats win big.
Delaware at Maine-Hens win in a close one.
Towson at Maryland- The Towson train slows down against the terps.
UMass at ODU-ODU is getting better but not quite there yet.
W&M at Nova-Neither has been overly impressive. First team to 14 wins.
Richmond at JMU-JMU finally beats Spidy at home.
URI at Brown-URI as Browns uniforms are ugly and URI's helmets are cool.

GannonFan
September 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Bill and Mary at Nova-Nova eeks out win as WM continues to struggle on O 5-3
[

William and Mary at Villanova Wouldn't have picked this before this weekend's showing against Penn. Was very happy with what I saw, and was especially impressed by the defense. I think with a little bit of confidence under our belts were good for another win or two this season, maybe coming here, vs ODU, or vs Delaware

Huh? What are you guys smoking. nova needs two defensive touchdowns to beat Penn and all of a sudden you have them beating W&M? Penn could be one of the worst FCS teams out there this year. They got smoked, absolutely smoked, by Lafayette (lost by 25 points in that game). All Lafayette has done this year is go 0-3 in their other games, including a loss to Georgetown (Georgetown people!) and a drubbing by Stony Brook. Penn is absolutely brutal. And even with that, Penn managed to roll up 377 yards of offense against nova this past weekend while holding nova to about 250 yards. As much as W&M has struggled offensively this year, they'll probably put up 400+ yards against nova. nova should slap themselves on the back if they can keep this game within single digits, and that's unlikely.

Wildcat80
September 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
UNH----can our defense get better still?
Maine--toughest road trip & Udel did not impress vs odu.
MD
ODU
wm--guess they both can't lose?
JMU do u guys have another QB?
URI

Actually alot of these are tossups IMO.

Mattymc727
September 27th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Holy Cross at UNH - closer than everyone thinks
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

md64179
September 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
UNH
Delaware
Maryland
UMass
W&M
Richmond
URI

VBR_Productions
September 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM
UMass at ODU-Monarchs played Delware close, with some questionable calls, ODU pissed and gets revenge on UMass in the Oyster Bowl 20-14

The Oyster Bowl game is 10/29 against James Madison, but thanks for having confidence in the Monarchs to pick them in an upset win!

VBR_Productions
September 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland (but don't be surprised to see Towson compete into the fourth quarter)
UMass at ODU
William and Mary at Villanova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

Brad82
September 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM
UNH-mercy rule game
Delaware-iffy
Maryland
UMass
W & M
Richmond
URI

crusader11
September 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM
UNH-mercy rule game

UNH may win, but this will be a game heading into the 4th quarter. I see the final score something like 35-24 in favor of the Cats. Hardly a "mercy rule game".

WM2001
September 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Holy Cross at UNH: UNH
Delaware at Maine: UD by 17 points
Towson at UMD: UMD
UMass at ODU: UMass
W&M at Nova: W&M by 13
Ticks at JMU: JMU flying high
URI at Brown: Blowout...URI by 4 TDs

HensRock
September 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Holy Cross over UNH in a sloppy one
Maine over UD by a TD in a defensive battle
UMD over Towson. No - not close.
UMass over ODU by 2 TDs.
W&M over Nova by 16
UR over JMU - very close game
URI over Brown - Huge

wmtribe1693
September 27th, 2011, 09:52 PM
UNH
UD
UMD
UMass
W&M
UR
URI

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine - is Maine for real? I have no idea, so I'll stick with my ursine brethren!
Towson at Ugly Uniforms USA - I'll take Maryland, but the Tigers beat the 20.5 point spread.
UMass at ODU - First time I've cared about a Minutemen game all year, ranking-wise. I see the Monarchs pulling this off, but barely (field goal or so)
William and Mary at Nova - Nova has shown... well, a good win over Penn. The Tribe may have been ranked too high, but I see them unleashing last week's loss on 'Nova
Richmond at JMU - Richmond lost at home last weekend, as did JMU. I like how the Spiders have responded to adversity this year, so I'll go against my gut and pick 'em to win at the Dukes' place.
URI at Brown

Wildcat80
September 27th, 2011, 10:32 PM
UNH may win, but this will be a game heading into the 4th quarter. I see the final score something like 35-24 in favor of the Cats. Hardly a "mercy rule game".

No way is it a mercy rule game. Expect another Lehigh close game...unless our D gets another two TD's! Is HC's QB named Corp too??

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Holy Cross at UNH
Richmond at JMU - Richmond lost at home last weekend, as did JMU. I like how the Spiders have responded to adversity this year, so I'll go against my gut and pick 'em to win at the Dukes' place.

JMU won away last week.

Squealofthepig
September 28th, 2011, 12:36 AM
JMU won away last week.

Crap, absolutely true. I think I'm smoking too much crack. ;)

The Cats
September 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

VUCats02
September 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Huh? What are you guys smoking. nova needs two defensive touchdowns to beat Penn and all of a sudden you have them beating W&M? Penn could be one of the worst FCS teams out there this year. They got smoked, absolutely smoked, by Lafayette (lost by 25 points in that game). All Lafayette has done this year is go 0-3 in their other games, including a loss to Georgetown (Georgetown people!) and a drubbing by Stony Brook. Penn is absolutely brutal. And even with that, Penn managed to roll up 377 yards of offense against nova this past weekend while holding nova to about 250 yards. As much as W&M has struggled offensively this year, they'll probably put up 400+ yards against nova. nova should slap themselves on the back if they can keep this game within single digits, and that's unlikely.

Just another comment from someone who does not understand city rivalry games...

Spiderbone
September 28th, 2011, 08:56 AM
The Oyster Bowl game is 10/29 against James Madison, but thanks for having confidence in the Monarchs to pick them in an upset win!

When we played in Norfolk we used to call the stadium itself the Oyster Bowl, much like they used to call the old bucs stadium the "Big Sombrero"

asumike83
September 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM
UNH
UD
Towson
UMass
W&M
JMU
URI

JMU/UR is so intriguing. The Dukes are distracted, but these things can help teams focus even more knowing there will be adversity. Richmond coming off a shootout loss. UR not running the ball. JMU's strength on D is run support. My head tells me Richmond has everything working in their favor, but my heart tells me the Dukes will use the 25K+ crowd to elevate them above the team issues. It will be interesting to see how the teams respond.

UIWWildthing
September 28th, 2011, 09:53 AM
UNH
Delaware
ODU
W&M
JMU
URI

My heart says Towson, my head says Maryland....I don't care how bad it looks, the heck with it, Towson in a shocker 31-27

GannonFan
September 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Just another comment from someone who does not understand city rivalry games...

Yeah, I've only lived in this area my entire life and grew up on Big 5 rivalries, spending many a weekend at the Palestra, and have been to more city rivalry games than you, but sure, I don't know anything about them.

All your response shows is that you have nothing to retort against - Penn is terrible, terrible this year. And nova needed two defensive touchdowns to beat them. But sure, a win over a Penn team, a Penn team who lost by 25 to a team that actually lost to Georgetown this year, is apparently enough of a reason to suppose that nova is now good enough to beat a W&M team that took JMU down to the wire. Alrighty then.

Side Judge
September 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Holy Cross @ New Hampshire (Noon)
William & Mary @ Villanova (Noon)
Delaware @ Maine (3:00)
Towson @ Maryland (3:30, ESPN3.com)
Richmond @ James Madison (3:30)
Rhode Island @ Brown (6:00)
UMass @ Old Dominion (6:00)

Murray State @ Georgia State (Noon, ESPN3.com)

Yes, I'm picking all the road teams to win, including Towson over Maryland. It's their version of ASU at Michigan and JMU at Tech - solid underdogs that are playing well enough to steal the win...

VUCats02
September 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I've only lived in this area my entire life and grew up on Big 5 rivalries, spending many a weekend at the Palestra, and have been to more city rivalry games than you, but sure, I don't know anything about them.

All your response shows is that you have nothing to retort against - Penn is terrible, terrible this year. And nova needed two defensive touchdowns to beat them. But sure, a win over a Penn team, a Penn team who lost by 25 to a team that actually lost to Georgetown this year, is apparently enough of a reason to suppose that nova is now good enough to beat a W&M team that took JMU down to the wire. Alrighty then.

It took Nova a kickoff return to beat UPenn 2 years ago. Remember that Nova team? If you don't, they won the national championship that year. Last year, it took a pick 6 to beat UPenn as well, and Nova was once again, 10 times better on paper than UPenn.

I say you do not understand the rivalry because no matter how bad or how good either team is at the time, the game is always close. That's how typical rivalries work. Throw all the talent out of the equation, and whoever wants it more will win. I'm not saying Nova will beat William and Mary, but I am saying that you can't disregard that win from Nova. Nova's offense and defense showed significant improvement in the game, and now that the team actually has some confidence, I can see them taking W&M down to the wire - even with a 3rd string QB who is a walk-on.

MR. CHICKEN
September 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
NEW HAMPSHIRE/HOLY COW.......NO D IN NEW HAMPSHIRE.......BUT DEY'RE O.....IS....OCTANE!

BILL & MARE/'NOVA......LEAST MARE HAS...BILL........'NOVA..OWN-LAH HAS MARE.......SPANK DEM CATS...AWK!

DELAWARE/MAINE.....HERE'S HOPIN'.....HENS HAD NAVY/ODU.....DUH BEARS...OWN-LAH HAD PITT......DOODLE-DOO!

TOWSON/MARYLAND........AH'VE..GOTTAH TIGER BY DUH TAIL......HEY....IT'S PLAIN TA SEE........EASE UP...TERPS!

RICHMOND/JMU....DUH ARACHNIDS....GOTTAH X-FER...FROM LA-LA LAND...JMU JES' LOST...DEY'RE KID.....BRAWK!

RHODE ISLAND/BROWN....DOESN'T TAKE UH RHODEY SCHOLAR....ISN'T BROWN....WHAT STAINS DUH UNDIES???

UMA$$/OL' DIMMY...IFIN' DUH MINUTEMEN CAIN'T DO SIXTY.......SHAME ON DUH FBS....WANNA-BE'S.......BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN.CAA!

BlueHen86
September 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

19Duke97
September 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

A lot of good games this weekend, I could see almost all within a TD, including a much improved Towson team.

JMUNJ08
September 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Week 5 has some VERY interesting matchups. No true powerhouse vs. powerhouse, but all the games could shed some more definitive lights on each of the teams. Can Towson play David? Is Nova back? UNH continue the momentum? UD the class of the league or Maine ready to contend? Can JMU ever beat Richmond on homecoming? UMass or ODU real? Can URI right the ship? Lets get to the picks....

Holy Cross @ New Hampshire
HC looks to try and give UNH a game but I believe the 'Cats should take this one at their friendly confines....
HC 20 - UNH 34

William & Mary @ Villanova
Here is a nice bounce back game for the Tribe. They should be able to right the ship at still a very shaky Nova team that may only be competing for 10th in the CAA.
W&M 27 - Nova 13

Delaware @ Maine
Can the 'Hens really start to separate themselves as a top team in the conference? This would truly make a statement...AT Maine. The Black Bears are always a tough out at home and look to be at least a mid-tier CAA team so far. This one should be close...
UD 21 - Maine 20

Towson @ Maryland
I LOVE Towson so far this year and this is an intriguing match-up against an in-state big brother. I know alot of people are thinking Towson can shock the world, and with the way Maryland is playing after the Miami win, why not? Because they aren't quite there...yet.
Towson 17 - Maryland 38

Richmond @ James Madison
Just when I thought Thorpe was going to lead us back to the playoffs after 2 years sitting at home...we were all wrong. With his suspension we turn over the reins to a pretty good redshirt freshman QB on Homecoming against a team we lost to the past two times we scheduled them for our homecoming game. Will the 25K+ crowd help will the team to victory? Only if we can score TD's...I have to pull for us in this one (because I will finally be able to be there)
UR 17 - JMU 23

Rhode Island @ Brown
These games always seem to be good no matter how their seasons play out. URI should still take the cake though for this year, just not by a wide margin.
URI 30 - Brown 21

UMass @ Old Dominion (6:00)
How are there so many interesting games this weekend? Is ODU as good as the fight they put up against UD last week? Is UMass looking for one last hurrah at the FCS level? ODU at home may be the tie breaker.
UMass 20 - ODU 24

Bonus
Murray State @ Georgia State
GaSt. may have finally gotten back home after they were sent packing quickly by Keenum and company is Houston. But this will be no picnic. I see the Racers catching GaSt. still licking their wounds.
Murray St. 27 - GaSt. 23

VBR_Productions
September 28th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Georgia State has a bye week this weekend. They don't play Murray State until next weekend.

MR. CHICKEN
September 28th, 2011, 11:57 PM
16151...SIDE JUDGE/JMUNJ08.........SHOODAH....PONIED UP..FO' PHIL'S.....I-AA BIBLE....PAGES 75 & 136...AWK!

tribefan40
September 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

bluehenbillk
September 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM
UNH 42 HC 28 - Crusaders will push UNH but don't have the firepower to overtake the Wildcats over 60 minutes
Maine 24 UD 20 - Maine is a veteran team that may establish both run & pass on UD - Orono not a fun place to goto
Maryland 41 Towson 10 - This was setup to be a half-decent game, until Temple embarassed the Terps
UMass 27 ODU 20 - Not sold on ODU's offense at all & UMass has firepower to put up some points
W&M 10 'Nova 7 - Score reversal of '09 semi that will be equally as quiet - good thing its a noon start zzzzz
URI 31 Brown 17 - Rams show some life versus the Ivies - which have been unimpressive so far
UR 20 JMU 16 - Hard to pick with JMU QB issue, but Ticks need this bad for playoff purposes

wmtribe1693
September 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
UNH 42 HC 28 - Crusaders will push UNH but don't have the firepower to overtake the Wildcats over 60 minutes
Maine 24 UD 20 - Maine is a veteran team that may establish both run & pass on UD - Orono not a fun place to goto
Maryland 41 Towson 10 - This was setup to be a half-decent game, until Temple embarassed the Terps
UMass 27 ODU 20 - Not sold on ODU's offense at all & UMass has firepower to put up some points
W&M 10 'Nova 7 - Score reversal of '09 semi that will be equally as quiet - good thing its a noon start zzzzz
URI 31 Brown 17 - Rams show some life versus the Ivies - which have been unimpressive so far
UR 20 JMU 16 - Hard to pick with JMU QB issue, but Ticks need this bad for playoff purposes

You should have your feathers plucked for picking Maine.

UD77
September 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Of the UD voters posted predictions only one out of four picked UD to win.

I will pick UD to make it 2 out of 5

crusader11
September 29th, 2011, 02:51 PM
5-2 last week and 26-8 overall...

Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

melloware13
September 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
UNH
UD
UMD
ODU
W&M
JMU
URI

Side Judge
September 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
16151...SIDE JUDGE/JMUNJ08.........SHOODAH....PONIED UP..FO' PHIL'S.....I-AA BIBLE....PAGES 75 & 136...AWK!

I still go with GSU losing this weekend...

MR. CHICKEN
September 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I still go with GSU losing this weekend...

BYE.....68.5...FAVORITE....OVERAH/UNDERAH.....69............AWK!

jmufan999
September 29th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Holy Cross at UNH
Delaware at Maine
Towson at Maryland
UMass at ODU
W&M at Nova
Richmond at JMU
URI at Brown

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Week 5 has some VERY interesting matchups. No true powerhouse vs. powerhouse, but all the games could shed some more definitive lights on each of the teams. Can Towson play David? Is Nova back? UNH continue the momentum? UD the class of the league or Maine ready to contend? Can JMU ever beat Richmond on homecoming? UMass or ODU real? Can URI right the ship? Lets get to the picks....

HC 20 - UNH 34xthumbsupx
W&M 27 - Nova 13xthumbsupx
UD 21 - Maine 20xsmhx
Towson 17 - Maryland 38xthumbsupx
UR 17 - JMU 23xthumbsupx
URI 30 - Brown 21xsmhx
UMass 20 - ODU 24xthumbsupx

Bonus
Murray St. 27 - GaSt. 23 Missed that this is the game for 10/8.....

Maine will be a contender while ODU is not content with just being in the league this year. Can JMU continue to dominate the way they manhandled UR? Towson loses leaving the CAA with no undefeated teams. Not a bad week...I'll take it.

Overall 5-2
CAA 3-1

Spiderbone
October 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Maine will be a contender while ODU is not content with just being in the league this year. Can JMU continue to dominate the way they manhandled UR? Towson loses leaving the CAA with no undefeated teams. Not a bad week...I'll take it.

Overall 5-2
CAA 3-1

I think it will come down to Maine, JMU and believe it or not.....ODU!!!
-Maine is rolling and will continue to do so.
-JMU is actually that good this year with great talent and tough to beat in that new monster of a stadium, wiped up the field with the Spiders
-ODU has the easiest stretch over the next month playing URI, Villanova and Towson. They could be 7-1 going into their last three games with Richmond, W&M and JMU (win ONE of those, most likely WM or UR and they are in the playoffs)
-As for the spiders, I think the wizard has been exposed for what he is behind the curtain, and it will be tough for us to win more than 2-3 more games, on top of that we don't get the luxury of playing a very bad Villanova team this year.

crusader11
October 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
JMU @ UNH on November 5th will be a dandy. As will Maine @ UNH on November 19th.

UNH's defense is, to be frank, terrible. But, their offense cannot be discounted. They'll be in the CAA hunt.

crusader11
October 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
UNH-mercy rule game

xsmileyclapx