PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Stop Georgia Southern?

TwoFeathers
September 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
They've won 9 of their last 10 (including post-season), scored 145 points in 3 games, and put up 634 yards rushing in their last game versus Western Carolina. I don't see them losing another game until Alabama. Can anyone challenge these guys?

Skjellyfetti
September 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Can anyone challenge these guys?

Wofford, Chattanooga, Appalachian State

edit to add: not predicting Georgia Southern loses all three or anything. But, all three can and (probably) will challenge Georgia Southern. No one is going undefeated in the SoCon this year, imo.

Smitty
September 25th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I am sure that Chattownmocs would like to argue that GSU is no match for the mighty UTC...

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Easily. You will soon see what a one dimensional option offense looks like against a talented, experienced defense that knows whats coming.

SideLine Shooter
September 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM
They've won 9 of their last 10 (including post-season), scored 145 points in 3 games, and put up 634 yards rushing in their last game versus Western Carolina. I don't see them losing another game until Alabama. Can anyone challenge these guys?

I seriously doubt it and I certainly wouldn't bet on it so let's go ahead and give them the N/C trophy and I'll go ahead to Florida for the winter.

eaglewraith
September 25th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Easily. You will soon see what a one dimensional triple option offense looks like against a talented, experienced defense that knows whats coming.

I can't count the number of times that Georgia Southern has heard this same comment since the early 80s. Many, many teams have looked completely foolish at the end of the game too.

Not saying it'll be a cakewalk when we play....but don't think you'll stop us just because you know we're going to run the ball.

TwoFeathers
September 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Easily. You will soon see what a one dimensional option offense looks like against a talented, experienced defense that knows whats coming.

THAT'S what I'm talking about, chattownmocs!!! ;)

TwoFeathers
September 25th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Everybody that plays them knows they're going to run the ball 50-60 times per game. Problem is, IMO, that nobody has the luxury to prepare for the Triple Option every week. So for just about everyone, it throws the defense into a fix. Delaware did a superb job in the Semi's last year. Someone will need to have the talent, and gameplan, exactly like Delaware to stop them.

J_Wilson
September 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Answer a question with a question. Can Georgia Southern play anyone decent?

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Everybody that plays them knows they're going to run the ball 50-60 times per game. Problem is, IMO, that nobody has the luxury to prepare for the Triple Option every week. So for just about everyone, it throws the defense into a fix. Delaware did a superb job in the Semi's last year. Someone will need to have the talent, and gameplan, exactly like Delaware to stop them.

Well everyone they have played so far absolutely sucks, especially on defense. so im not even really sure what your point is. Wofford's triple option will be much harder to stop because they have much more discipline and actually run the offense correctly to a T. Georgia Southern is inconsistent doing it and often relies solely on athleticism to bail out their undisciplined execution.

chattanoogamocs
September 25th, 2011, 05:31 PM

edit to add: not predicting Georgia Southern loses all three or anything. But, all three can and (probably) will challenge Georgia Southern. No one is going undefeated in the SoCon this year, imo.

+1

TwoFeathers

I can't wait to see those games.

Apphole
We don't lose to teams two years in a row. You thought the Chatty game was loud...

TwoFeathers
September 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Well everyone they have played so far absolutely sucks, so im not even really sure what your point is.

It looks like they've picked up steam since last years playoff team, IMO.

TwoFeathers
September 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
We don't lose to teams two years in a row. You thought the Chatty game was loud...

I'll be tuning in...

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM

One dimensional????

Are you kidding? Have you actually SEEN a triple option attack? Apparently not, b/c pretty much by definition, a triple option has THREE options - run, pass, & hand off ...

Listen carefully now ... that means they's THREE dimensions here. Not one. Class over.

I remember when Jayson Foster ran the triple option in Boone (pre-Hatcher era). Foster was EVERYWHERE. He played EVERY SINGLE POSITION on the field. Clearly, Foster was in the third dimension that day.

... At least it seemed like it to me. Boy, I'm glad he graduated.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Georgia Southern is beatable, but we've improved so far each game. I'm a true believer in taking one game at a time as Coach Monken (and most coaches) preaches. Next up is Elon who should be a win, but things happen and that's why we play the games.

Coach Huesman said the Mocs are going to fix the pass protection problems they've been having. If he doesn't, it'll be a long day for Chatty on the 8th.

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
One dimensional????

Are you kidding? Have you actually SEEN a triple option attack? Apparently not, b/c pretty much by definition, a triple option has THREE options - run, pass, & hand off ...

Listen carefully now ... that means they's THREE dimensions here. Not one. Class over.

I remember when Jayson Foster ran the triple option in Boone (pre-Hatcher era). Foster was EVERYWHERE. He played EVERY SINGLE POSITION on the field.

Let me give a an Appy fan another lesson on the game of football. all 3 options are in the same dimension. Which is running the ball. They can not throw it consistently. They will not be successful.

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Georgia Southern is beatable, but we've improved so far each game. I'm a true believer in taking one game at a time as Coach Monken (and most coaches) preaches. Next up is Elon who should be a win, but things happen and that's why we play the games.

Coach Huesman said the Mocs are going to fix the pass protection problems they've been having. If he doesn't, it'll be a long day for Chatty on the 8th.

Well unless yall shut our offense out and score on defense or special teams you aint getting it done anyway. Because your triple option will be swarmed under all day.

FurmanWins!!
September 25th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Furman will potentially challenge these guys in 3 weeks in a huge rivalry game, we almost had them last year but they squeaked it out ;)

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 06:00 PM

lol talented and experienced Freshmen on the DL for Chatty

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM
lol talented and experienced Freshmen on the DL for Chatty

The DL is definitely talented and important against the triple option. But what is more important are those LBs and safeties coming up to lay the wood. And when you have corners as good as chattanooga's you can do that.

gasoutherneagle
September 25th, 2011, 06:03 PM
We can pass, too. And have, successfully. We prefer not to. Don't believe it? ...stack-up the line to stop the run game and find out. xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM
One dimensional????

Are you kidding? Have you actually SEEN a triple option attack? Apparently not, b/c pretty much by definition, a triple option has FOUR options - run, pass, & hand off, and pitch ...

Listen carefully now ... that means there's FOUR dimensions here. Not one. Class over.

I remember when Jayson Foster ran the triple option in Boone (pre-Hatcher era). Foster was EVERYWHERE. He played EVERY SINGLE POSITION on the field. Clearly, Foster was in the third dimension that day.

FIFA

and the mighty Chattanooga Mocs a midst their wonderful defense last year got 45 hung on them by the high school offense that can't pass (yet was able to get at least 90 yards and a touchdown :? on them).

Wofford's offense could be for real this year. We'll see. against 2 FCS teams (not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination) we've average 523 yards of offense. Against Clemson we had 399 yards of offense. the only thing that's stopped Wofford's offense so far is stupid penalties, special teams breakdowns, and turnovers (mainly interceptions...3 so far, but we'll be fine)

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
We can pass, too. And have, successfully. We prefer not to. Don't believe it? ...stack-up the line to stop the run game and find out. xthumbsupx

We will put 9 in the box if we want and your WRs still wont shake our CBs.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Well unless yall shut our offense out and score on defense or special teams you aint getting it done anyway. Because your triple option will be swarmed under all day.

You are a total loudmouth idiot. Chattanooga's first FCS test of the season was Saturday @ App and it was FAIL. Once Mr Coleman's Senior year ends in disappointment, it's back to "Coach's-Son-Is-QB" time in Moc Townxlolx.

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM
FIFA

and the mighty Chattanooga Mocs a midst their wonderful defense last year got 45 hung on them by the high school offense that can't pass (yet was able to get at least 90 yards and a touchdown :? on them).

Wofford's offense could be for real this year. We'll see. against 2 FCS teams (not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination) we've average 523 yards of offense. Against Clemson we had 399 yards of offense. the only thing that's stopped Wofford's offense so far is stupid penalties, special teams breakdowns, and turnovers (mainly interceptions...3 so far, but we'll be fine)

The mocs didnt have a good defense last year. They ranked 80th nationally. Things can change in a hurry.

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM
You are a total loudmouth idiot. Chattanooga's first FCS test of the season was Saturday @ App and it was FAIL. Once Mr Coleman's Senior year ends in disappointment, it's back to "Coach's-Son-Is-QB" time in Moc Townxlolx.

And look who is the loudmouth idiot. Chattanooga has been tested by quality teams that far supass anything Georgia Southern has faced for 4 straight weeks now.

gasoutherneagle
September 25th, 2011, 06:14 PM
We will put 9 in the box if we want and your WRs still wont shake our CBs.

Spoken like a fan who has never seen Georgia Southern's offensive team speed. Good luck, pal.

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Spoken like a fan who has never seen Georgia Southern's offensive team speed. Good luck, pal.

I have seen them several times, and there isnt a chance in hell they can match chattanooga's defensive speed.

SouthernStyle
September 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hey have they mailed you the title yet??? Didn't think so... I'm so glad games are play on the field and not on te computer.
Btw...I'll take Georgia Southern D line over The mocs line any day of the week!!!

Elon this weekend and chatty next. One game at a time for us.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 06:18 PM
The DL is definitely talented and important against the triple option. But what is more important are those LBs and safeties coming up to lay the wood. And when you have corners as good as chattanooga's you can do that.
I'll believe it when I see it

gasoutherneagle
I have seen them several times, and there isnt a chance in hell they can match chattanooga's defensive speed.

Seen it... good luck, pal. HAHAHAHA!

The Cats

Trust me, their offense is not one dimensional. However, stopping their rush is the major challange. Let's talk more AFTER you've played them, and let me know how that "talented, experienced defense that knows what's coming" does against Georgia Southern triple option.

Gringer1
September 25th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Let me give a an Appy fan another lesson on the game of football. all 3 options are in the same dimension. Which is running the ball. They can not throw it consistently. They will not be successful.

So by your logic, it is impossible for a team to be more than 2 dimensional.

TwoFeathers
September 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
There have been some good teams to fall to Ga Southern in the last 10 games... Wofford, App, SC State, W&M (last year). And it looks like they're picking up steam. I'm just saying, I'd recommend studying some Delaware game film from last year. Then again, Delaware had the #1 D in FCS last year. Just saying...

The Mocs did beat them last year. Nice win, Mocs!

GSU Eagle
September 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Damn, Chattanooga has some success and suddenly they are world beaters. First real test for Chattanooga vs. Appalachian-- FAIL. 2nd and 3rd tests vs. GSU and Worfford upcoming.

Somehow I think the Eagles and Terriers might manage a few points against that unbelievable Moc defense.

Baldy
September 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
There have been some good teams to fall to Ga Southern in the last 10 games... Wofford, App, SC State, W&M (last year). And it looks like they're picking up steam. I'm just saying, I'd recommend studying some Delaware game film from last year. Then again, Delaware had the #1 D in FCS last year. Just saying...

The Mocs did beat them last year, but was that without Shaw? I don't remember.
Shaw was at maybe 50%, and McKinnon was a true freshman looking like a deer in the headlights. Unless something unfortunate happens Saturday, Shaw will be much better than 50% and there is no drop off between McKinnon and Shaw this season.

blueballs
September 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
October 8 can't get here fast enough...

asumike83
September 25th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I would be very surprised if any SoCon team runs the table this year, just too many good teams at the top.

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM

You're wrong.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 06:56 PM
You're wrong.
since when has that stopped him before?

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Truly, Chatty has a good defense. No question about that. I'm not sure if they can stop GaSo's triple option. But, Huesman is a defensive genius. I am certain he will have a plan. Chatty is the real deal, and so is GaSo. That should be a good matchup, no question.

However, it is also true that some Chatty fans have lost touch with reality. (Don't encourage them.) Just prove it on the field.

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Er ... would that be kind of like the lesson on Saturday in Boone ???

seantaylor
September 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Shaw and Robert Brown didn't play much at all if any against Chatty last year. GSU has 5 different weapons not available to us last year. McKinnon(I know he played some last year, but this is now the fastest player in the conference), Bryant, Showers, Swope, and Izzy(this kid is going to be a star). We'll beat Chatty by 20+. Team is getting better by the week.

Squealofthepig
September 25th, 2011, 07:19 PM
First, I can't see anyone not having Georgia Southern currently in their top ten, if not their top five (yes, arguments can be made for a top spot, just saying there's a lot of agreement that they're a top team).

But, as a voter and a fan, I still have questions.

Two of GSU's wins don't tell us that much - Tusculum and West Carolina. The win at Samford is good - not a lot of teams in the top 25 have good road wins yet, and Samford was competitive at Wofford. But Samford's lone win came against Stillman. Still, GSU has taken care of business. I can't say confidently they will run away with the conference - they haven't really been challenged yet. But they've done what they're supposed to do on the field, which not every top 25 team can say.

asumike83
September 25th, 2011, 07:33 PM

No doubt that UTC has a good defense but GSU is every bit as talented on the defensive side of the ball. You can call GSU's offense one-dimensional all you like but UTC has played against good FCS defenses the last two games and only rushed for 132 yards on 74 carries. I would call that one-dimensional as well, so you can expect GSU to pin their ears back and get after BJ until they prove they can run the ball. Unless your O-line grows up real fast, you can expect Coleman to be on his back all afternoon again. I wouldn't be surprised to see another low-scoring affair in Statesboro and until UTC proves they can get it done on the road in a big conference game, advantage GSU.

GSU does have to go on the road to play Appalachian and Wofford in a 3-week span, I think they may drop one of those.

pike51
September 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Honestly, I hope that the boys up at UTC are as delusional as this *** clown. Keep thinking we can't throw jackass. After the 8th, I have a feeling we won't see very much of you. BTW... how does that huge win in Boone feel?

:)

pike51
September 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM
GSU does have to go on the road to play Appalachian and Wofford in a 3-week span, I think the may drop one of those.

I think this may be our biggest problem this season... Appy and Wofford are tough enough to beat, let alone both on the road within 3 weeks. If we can pull that off, it will be a pretty awesome accomplishment. I'm looking for the game in Boone to be about as awesome an atmosphere as you'll ever see in college football.

UCMoc
September 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Truly, Chatty has a good defense. No question about that. I'm not sure if they can stop GaSo's triple option. But, Huesman is a defensive genius. I am certain he will have a plan. Chatty is the real deal, and so is GaSo. That should be a good matchup, no question.

However, it is also true that some Chatty fans have lost touch with reality. (Don't encourage them.) Just prove it on the field.

Not some. One.

Eaglesrus
September 25th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Answer a question with a question. Can Georgia Southern play anyone decent?

Well, see, it works like this; you play the first team on the schedule, then the second, and so on. Perhaps in the remaining 8 regular season games we may play someone that you consider decent, you would have to judge that. Keep in mind that 2 of our first 3 games were against conference opponents, and being members of the SoCon we were required to play them.

McLeansvilleAppFan
September 25th, 2011, 09:25 PM

In fact, on a few plays I swear he ran up to the coach's box, called a play in-ran back down to the field, and threw a pass play - to himself as receiver, for a first down.

Yes I am also glad he graduated.

Gil Dobie
September 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Would have been great to see GSU and NDSU in the Fargodome this year :)

135 points in 3 DI games

GSU 48.33 PPG
NDSU 45.00 PPG

GSU #2 in Total Offense
NDSU #2 in Total Defense

PhoenixMan
September 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I don't think that Elon will stop GSU, but we aren't going to lay down and give them the game because they are GSU. Elon has beat them 3 of the last 4 years, but of course we aren't playing very well so far. We'll see what happens. What is more interesting in this thread is how the Chatty fans seem to think they are a great football team. Maybe you do, but let's see it before you crown yourselves champions. You go to Boone, play a good game, but you lost. Key concept is, you LOST. Playing App close is not a victory. I don't remember the last time we lost to UTC, so it's been awhile.

Skjellyfetti
September 25th, 2011, 09:46 PM
You go to Boone, play a good game, but you lost. Key concept is, you LOST. Playing App close is not a victory. I don't remember the last time we lost to UTC, so it's been awhile.

Elon's had plenty of moral victories against App over the years. Surely you can relate.

PhoenixMan
September 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Elon's had plenty of moral victories against App over the years. Surely you can relate.

Not the way I see it. You lose, you lose.

UCMoc
September 25th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I don't think that Elon will stop GSU, but we aren't going to lay down and give them the game because they are GSU. Elon has beat them 3 of the last 4 years, but of course we aren't playing very well so far. We'll see what happens. What is more interesting in this thread is how the Chatty fans seem to think they are a great football team. Maybe you do, but let's see it before you crown yourselves champions. You go to Boone, play a good game, but you lost. Key concept is, you LOST. Playing App close is not a victory. I don't remember the last time we lost to UTC, so it's been awhile.

I said this before, I'll say it again. It is one person who has crowned us king. That's it, one crazy *** UT Vols fan with nothing to do but play mind games with you guys. The longer it goes on, the more I'm
starting to think he's a genius and we are all just playing his game by his rules.

chattanoogamocs
September 25th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I said this before, I'll say it again. It is one person who has crowned us king. That's it, one crazy *** UT Vols fan with nothing to do but play mind games with you guys. The longer it goes on, the more I'm
starting to think he's a genius and we are all just playing his game by his rules.

+1000

The guy can make one post and drive half of this board insane (he can get 20 pages of responses in 24 hours)...it is almost comical how many seasoned message board veterans take the bait so easily on here...and so consistently.

Terrierforlife
September 25th, 2011, 10:33 PM
+1000

The guy can make one post and drive half of this board insane (he can get 20 pages of responses in 24 hours)...it is almost comical how many seasoned message board veterans take the bait so easily on here...and so consistently.

It's just a message board. No shame in chopping it up. It's all in fun.

superman7515
September 25th, 2011, 10:36 PM
This team could beat Georgia Southern by 1000+/- points...

http://files.sharenator.com/Chuck_Norris_Football_Celebrities_Who_Played_Sport s_in_High_School-s450x527-99224-580.jpg

And if you're wondering who that awesome player is...

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/chuck-norris-002-thumb-400x498.jpg

chattanoogamocs
September 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
It's just a message board. No shame in chopping it up. It's all in fun.

Except for the fact that half the people responding obviously don't get that.

UCMoc
September 25th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Except for the fact that half the people responding obviously don't get that.

Seriously, how many people have to post, "all the Chattanooga fans think they are going to win the championship and sleep with our wives or boyfriends (that's just the ones at the Citadel...don't ask, don't tell Yay!).

One freaking guy...that's it.

Skjellyfetti
September 25th, 2011, 11:00 PM
There were more obnoxious Chattanooga fans than one guy last week.

Talking about how we couldn't run for more than 60 yards on Chattanooga, how our pass rush was nonexistant and couldn't pressure Coleman, how Coleman would start over Tyler Bray, etc. etc.

chattanoogamocs
September 25th, 2011, 11:18 PM
There were more obnoxious Chattanooga fans than one guy last week.

Talking about how we couldn't run for more than 60 yards on Chattanooga, how our pass rush was nonexistant and couldn't pressure Coleman, how Coleman would start over Tyler Bray, etc. etc.

Have you ever spent any time reading your own fans posts. Pot meet kettle, brother. You guys wrote the book on obnoxious.

Actually, GSU wrote the book and then gave it to you guys when they fired Sewak.

chattanoogamocs
September 25th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Actually, I think self-righteous probably is the better word to describe a number of ASU fans on here.

Skjellyfetti
September 25th, 2011, 11:30 PM
You were the guy in the other thread saying we should be applauding Huesman's postgame comments that read like an emo teenagers whining... right? xlolx

eaglewraith
September 25th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Have you ever spent any time reading your own fans posts. Pot meet kettle, brother. You guys wrote the book on obnoxious.

Actually, GSU wrote the book and then gave it to you guys when they fired Sewak.

STATEMENT INVALID

I like to think we're still obnoxious.

seantaylor
September 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM

Chris Hatcher years don't count.

Blue Eagle
September 26th, 2011, 12:55 AM
"Would have been great to see GSU and NDSU in the Fargodome this year"

Actually, it would be better to see them play in Texas in January!

I remember when NDSU played us in Statesboro about 7 years ago. If I am correct they beat us as badly as anyone I can remember!

In fact, I believe NDSU was in transition from Division II (They looked like they were transitioning from IA instead of Div II) and was ineligible for the playoff that year. I have always thought that was an injustice to those players!

I have been fortunate to see 8 National Championships Games in person and most of the rest on TV and that NDSU team was as good as most National Championship teams I can recall watching!

GO EAGLES

JUST ONE MORE TIME

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2011, 05:33 AM
No way GSU can get through the SoCon without a loss.

Smitty
September 26th, 2011, 06:01 AM

You know I think WCU, Cit, Wofford, and Furman are the only teams in the SoCon that are not obnoxious on the forums...

UCMoc
September 26th, 2011, 06:18 AM
You were the guy in the other thread saying we should be applauding Huesman's postgame comments that read like an emo teenagers whining... right? xlolx

I'm not sure about applauding, I do think that there was nothing wrong with what he said. It's nice to have someone express their frustration rather than toting out tired old cliches. He said what he felt at the time. Would you like for him to come appologize for hurting your sensitive feelings?

The Eagle's Cliff
September 26th, 2011, 07:22 AM
You know I think WCU, Cit, Wofford, and Furman are the only teams in the SoCon that are not obnoxious on the forums...

It's all about the numbers. WCU fans on message boards are the true fans as there hasn't been a band wagon to jump on in nearly 30 years. Wofford and Furman have relatively smaller and, dare I say, more cerebral fan bases than App, GSU, and Chatty. Citdog is obnoxious in a good way and Elon has a bunch of Yankees for fans who are, by definition, obnoxious:D

Seriously, I think you'll find the "obnoxious fan" to be someone who is actually not committed financially to the school and probably doesn't attend games in proportion to their message board presence. We have two who are exactly like chattownmocs - No Cops!

whoanellie
September 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM
maybe that old bus will breakdown somewhere near Monck's Corner SC.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2011, 08:04 AM
The short answer? Yes. There are some pretty good defenses in the SoCon (App, UTC, Wofford, Furman, and El Cid). GSU hasn't seen any of those teams yet.

GSU has had problems (even dating back to last season) with holding onto the football. That's going to catch up with them at some point.

TwoFeathers
September 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
The short answer? Yes. There are some pretty good defenses in the SoCon (App, UTC, Wofford, Furman, and El Cid). GSU hasn't seen any of those teams yet.

GSU has had problems (even dating back to last season) with holding onto the football. That's going to catch up with them at some point.

Good point. ie. the Delaware game. I think there were what, 2 key fumbles lost? I think it was one by Shaw, and one by Brown... something like that. That was the difference in the game.

SpeedkingATL
September 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Everyone keeps talking about App, Wofford, GSU (the real one) and UTC but it appears Elon, Furman, Sammy and even the Citdogs have upset capabilities. The fun in the SoCon is just beginning.

TwoFeathers
September 26th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Everyone keeps talking about App, Wofford, GSU (the real one) and UTC but it appears Elon, Furman, Sammy and even the Citdogs have upset capabilities. The fun in the SoCon is just beginning.

Sammy = Not

GoGSU
September 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM

OMG..this guy is such an idiot....xnodx

elon77
September 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Elon can't stop them, don't stand a chance. The GSU fans should come and spend lots of money on food, lodging, gas, and game tickets. Leave your two deep players at home so the game can at least be interesting. The top players can rest up this week for a more challenging test. :D

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2011, 09:36 AM
OMG..this guy is such an idiot....xnodx

Any credability he had (which was very little) continues to get flung out the window.

Ivytalk
September 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM

True, but App State on the road will be the stiffest test.

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
STATEMENT INVALID

I like to think we're still obnoxious.

Don't worry, your fans are getting their swagger back. :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM
DIE thread DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

DIE DIE

:D

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Ironic, reading all the pages of ASU fan whining and crying (about Huesman being disrespectful and UTC fans being obnoxious), you'd think that ASU had LOST the game on Saturday, not won it. You won, quit crying and go worry about Wofford.

LakesBison
September 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM
too bad they backed out on NDSU huh.

Skjellyfetti
September 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Oh, you think I'm crying. xlolx Couldn't be more opposite of the feeling I've had since Saturday. :D

OrygunBison
September 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
"Would have been great to see GSU and NDSU in the Fargodome this year"

Actually, it would be better to see them play in Texas in January!

I remember when NDSU played us in Statesboro about 7 years ago. If I am correct they beat us as badly as anyone I can remember!

In fact, I believe NDSU was in transition from Division II (They looked like they were transitioning from IA instead of Div II) and was ineligible for the playoff that year. I have always thought that was an injustice to those players!

I have been fortunate to see 8 National Championships Games in person and most of the rest on TV and that NDSU team was as good as most National Championship teams I can recall watching!

GO EAGLES

JUST ONE MORE TIME

Thanks for the kind words... No smack intended. I think this NDSU team is better. I really wish the Eagles would have kept the game in Fargo this year. For my part, I guess I'll have to wait until January to get that fix. See you there!!!

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Oh, you think I'm crying. xlolx Couldn't be more opposite of the feeling I've had since Saturday. :D

You (and your ASU fans) posts to the contrary.

StorminASU
September 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Ironic, reading all the pages of ASU fan whining and crying (about Huesman being disrespectful and UTC fans being obnoxious), you'd think that ASU had LOST the game on Saturday, not won it. You won, quit crying and go worry about Wofford.

Trust me, we didn't cry about anything; can the same be said for your coach? ;)

Skjellyfetti
September 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM
You (and your ASU fans) posts to the contrary.

I don't know how you got the idea that I've been crying or whining. I guess I've done a poor job conveying my emotions about the game last weekend. Hopefully this helps:

http://tricitiessports.com/clients/tricitiessports/9-24-2011-11-20-25-PM-8298089.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

:D

StorminASU
September 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I can't count the number of times that Georgia Southern has heard this same comment since the early 80s. Many, many teams have looked completely foolish at the end of the game too.

Not saying it'll be a cakewalk when we play....but don't think you'll stop us just because you know we're going to run the ball.

Well when you do win, it's probably because of luck bc Chatt will be the better team that day. The fact they score less points is meaningless when you have the raw talent they do. They'll just hand it to you, but it will still miraculously be a win for them even though the scoreboard says differently.

longtimemocfan
September 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
It's all about the numbers. WCU fans on message boards are the true fans as there hasn't been a band wagon to jump on in nearly 30 years. Wofford and Furman have relatively smaller and, dare I say, more cerebral fan bases than App, GSU, and Chatty. Citdog is obnoxious in a good way and Elon has a bunch of Yankees for fans who are, by definition, obnoxious:D

Seriously, I think you'll find the "obnoxious fan" to be someone who is actually not committed financially to the school and probably doesn't attend games in proportion to their message board presence. We have two who are exactly like chattownmocs - No Cops!

I concur. Also you see "obnoxious fans" who may not have even attended the school they are a fan of. You see a lot of this with the bigger fan bases such as Georgia,Tennessee, ect.

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
It's a shame that the back half of the NDSU-GSU game didn't get played this year. NDSU in the FargoDome would have been a tough game for the Eagles. Doubt it would have been a 48-17 game like the last visit by the Eagles to the Dakota.

StorminASU
September 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Does your IQ exceed 50? I'm starting to wonder how you remember to breathe while typing.

We beat you with defensive scores without even having to shut out your offense, so I wouldn't even defensive scores if I were you.

Achilles Return
September 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
It's a shame that the back half of the NDSU-GSU game didn't get played this year. NDSU in the FargoDome would have been a tough game for the Eagles. Doubt it would have been a 48-17 game like the last visit by the Eagles to the Dakota.

We haven't played NDSU since '06. There was no back half to be played.

bleedblue
September 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
That's what GSU ran into with Delaware last year. We had defensive talent to stop them

CropDuster
September 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
That's what GSU ran into with Delaware last year. We had defensive talent to stop them

Having a turnover margin of -5 certainly didn't help.

bleedblue
September 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Stop with the turn over reason. All part of the game. It's not like we greased the ball or something. GSU dropped it UD picked it up. That simple. Part of the game. You sound better if you simply said we didn't play our best. I can understand that. Those things happen. Just stop complaining.

I-16Bandit
September 26th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Stop with the turn over reason. All part of the game. It's not like we greased the ball or something. GSU dropped it UD picked it up. That simple. Part of the game. You sound better if you simply said we didn't play our best. I can understand that. Those things happen. Just stop complaining.

It was also cold as balls.

I'm kidding. :) I'm not going to complain. It was a good game, but we lost. Just have to look forward!

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I concur. Also you see "obnoxious fans" who may not have even attended the school they are a fan of. You see a lot of this with the bigger fan bases such as Georgia,Tennessee, ect.

Most UGA fans never went to Georgia? Most Alabama fans can't find Tuscaloosa on a map? You must be joking.

SU DOG
September 26th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Sammy = Not

Based on us losing to GSU and Wofford? If the defense gets some injured players back, and our new offense keeps developing, we will be a much better team than some think. I still have hope.

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Based on us losing to GSU and Wofford? If the defense gets some injured players back, and our new offense keeps developing, we will be a much better team than some think. I still have hope.

I'm going to agree with SU Dog, granted against us they couldn't stop our offense, and our defense was clutch against them, but you could really tell that they were a quality football team. Look for 5 or 6 wins this year from the Bulldogs, and that may not sound like much, but they'll cause problems for Furman, App State, Elon, and Chattanooga. They play hard and take advantage of your mistakes. Good fundamental football from the boys of Birmingham

eaglewraith
September 26th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Most UGA fans never went to Georgia? Most Alabama fans can't find Tuscaloosa on a map? You must be joking.

I can't speak for the Bama fan thing but the UGA thing is on the money.

The worst fans are the ones who have NEVER even been to Athens.

whoanellie
September 26th, 2011, 07:26 PM
how do you stop GSU Statesboro? rehire Vangorder

whoanellie
September 26th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Recruit Denzel Washington: He helped stop a runaway train in movie "Unstoppable"

Twentysix
September 26th, 2011, 08:13 PM
NDSU would of stopped GSU thats why they wussied out of the game in fargo.

Hopefully fate catches up and sends them to the dome in the playoffs.

They best be in the same bracket! xcoolx

eaglewraith
September 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM

We'll make sure to provide a very warm welcome when you return to Paulson Stadium in December.

straightshooter
September 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Careful...this is not the VanGorder fiasco the Bison faced in '06.

Blue Eagle
September 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM
There are several SoCon Teams that can beat the Eagles, but in my less than humble opinion I believe the Eagles will win their remaining FCS games.

Yes, I believe they will go 13 & 1 and win Ga. Southern's 7th National Championship!

After the recent "4 nightmare years" I am an eternal optimist again, and I am going to
enjoy that feeling for as long as I can. I realize how quickly it can go away.

GO EAGLES

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Terrierforlife
September 26th, 2011, 09:12 PM

He's right. It happened to Wofford the game before. It's in the game!

CropDuster
September 26th, 2011, 09:35 PM

I'm not complaining, just stating the facts. I said our turnovers didn't help, not turnovers are the only reason we lost. And you didn't stop us unless you equate giving up 310 yards as actually stopping someone. I'm sure your reading comprehension is better than that.

Twentysix
September 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Careful...this is not the VanGorder fiasco the Bison faced in '06.

This is a better bison team than 06 imo. Atleast that is how it seems. Comparitve scores suck, But I just wanna point out that current #25 USC only beat the gophers by 2 points at home. And NDSU beat them by 2 TD's away. We also had better penetration numbers than USC. I think it was 5 sacks and 9 tackles for a loss recorded.

phoenixphanatic21
September 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM

I know a vast majority of Carolina and Duke seem to be people who never went there. And of course they are the extremely vocal and annoying ones.

As for the question at hand, we will sure as hell try to stop them this weekend.

PhoenixMan
September 26th, 2011, 11:04 PM
There are several SoCon Teams that can beat the Eagles, but in my less than humble opinion I believe the Eagles will win their remaining FCS games.

Yes, I believe they will go 13 & 1 and win Ga. Southern's 7th National Championship!

After the recent "4 nightmare years" I am an eternal optimist again, and I am going to
enjoy that feeling for as long as I can. I realize how quickly it can go away.

GO EAGLES

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

I like your positive attitude, GSU has a game Saturday. Better win that one before you start touting 13 wins and a National Championship. As I see it, you are playing a team that has beat you 3 of the last 4 meetings. The Eagles better come ready to play.

whoanellie
September 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
we'll get them to visit a local a local "corn maze" on firday after walk through, or is it maize? The average
GSU coach should make it out Monday, players sometime later

straightshooter
September 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
This is a better bison team than 06 imo. Atleast that is how it seems. Comparitve scores suck, But I just wanna point out that current #25 USC only beat the gophers by 2 points at home. And NDSU beat them by 2 TD's away. We also had better penetration numbers than USC. I think it was 5 sacks and 9 tackles for a loss recorded.

With any luck, the two teams will meet down the road. You'll see then that those stats don't matter when defensing the GSU offense.

tigonian02
September 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
It was also cold as balls.

Haha one of my favorite lines. +1

Go Eagles! All Hail the Socon in January!

seantaylor
September 27th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Eloan lost to Van Gorder. That hurts. Him and Hatcher are the two worst coaches that ever ran a real program.

seantaylor
September 27th, 2011, 04:07 AM
If we have McK(bigger Foster), and Youtbe(thank Allah he didnt leave) we won't be stopped on O. Sammy Baker still has a job. Only thing that will trip us up.

Gil Dobie
September 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM
With any luck, the two teams will meet down the road. You'll see then that those stats don't matter when defensing the GSU offense.

The NDSU coaching staff has experience with option football. Bohl played and coach at Nebraska, and also was an assistant on the NDSU teams of the 1980's that ran the veer. If NDSU can slow down GSU enough and score last, they can win.

eaglewraith
September 27th, 2011, 07:57 AM
The NDSU coaching staff has experience with option football. Bohl played and coach at Nebraska, and also was an assistant on the NDSU teams of the 1980's that ran the veer. If NDSU can slow down GSU enough and score last, they can win.

Yawn...heard it all before.

AppStateold299
September 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM

I predict that GSU wins by a fluke play or 2 against the all powerful UTC. Because we all know they are the best team in the country. Their defense is the best and their offense can't be stopped. They only have 2 loses because of fluke plays and bad luck. Their loses mean nothing to the dominance that will happen to all other teams.

pike51
September 27th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I predict that GSU wins by a fluke play or 2 against the all powerful UTC. Because we all know they are the best team in the country. Their defense is the best and their offense can't be stopped. They only have 2 loses because of fluke plays and bad luck. Their loses mean nothing to the dominance that will happen to all other teams.

UTC won against Appy because they "wanted" you to win this time. They will lose to GSU because they "let" us win. :) Not a fluke... it is UTC's will.

cannonballgsu
September 27th, 2011, 09:31 AM
No App won because they weren't the better team. Remember?

Wait...that's how it goes right?

chattownmocs
September 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
At first I thought that it was just the App State homers who didnt understand the game of football, now I realize it is FCS fans all around the country. To act as it if it absurd that anyone would suggest that the best team actually lost a football game is just sad. This happens all the time, and a clearcut case of this was Saturday at the "rock." There is no doubt about it.

cannonballgsu
September 27th, 2011, 09:49 AM
At first I thought that it was just the App State homers who didnt understand the game of football, now I realize it is FCS fans all around the country. To act as it if it absurd that anyone would suggest that the best team actually lost a football game is just sad. This happens all the time, and a clearcut case of this was Saturday at the "rock." There is no doubt about it.

Guess you should jump ship then and head on over to panthertalk. They are going FBS very very very soon.

StorminASU
September 27th, 2011, 09:52 AM

You really couldn't come up with something new? Running low on meth, or just feeling a little tired?

chattownmocs
September 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM
You really couldn't come up with something new? Running low on meth, or just feeling a little tired?

You couldnt come up with anything at all I see.

StorminASU
September 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
You couldnt come up with anything at all I see.

I actually did, I insinuated you were taking meth and that's why you write the craziness that you do...but weak comeback, Congratulations Bro!

Here's to the best football team in the nation going for 3-2 this weekend!

cannonballgsu
September 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I actually did, I insinuated you were taking meth and that's why you write the craziness that you do...but weak comeback, Congratulations Bro!

Chattown's next post:

"I know you are, but what am I?"

chattownmocs
September 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM

So you randomly made something up? Cool story. You suck at this.

Gringer1
September 27th, 2011, 10:20 AM

http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

StorminASU
September 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM

You randomly make up crap about Chatt all the time, so I thought that was the game. I thought I had won just like BJ Coleman.

THE HERD
September 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hey G. Southern fans......how does your triple option offense differ from say the veer type offense that Nebraska used back in the 80's, NDSU used this offense as well and won a bunch of DII titles with it. Is it basically the same type of offense or does it have major differences? I think running that offense can be a major plus for you come playoff time, especially if you get matched up with someone that has never really gone against it. Doesn't Wofford run some form of veer as well? Sure wish you guys would have kept your game in Fargo this year so we could have gotten some experience against it, plus it would have been a great matchup. I guess we did see it back in 06 or something when we beat you down there, but I believe you have better personel now.

blueballs
September 27th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hey G. Southern fans......how does your triple option offense differ from say the veer type offense that Nebraska used back in the 80's, NDSU used this offense as well and won a bunch of DII titles with it. Is it basically the same type of offense or does it have major differences? I think running that offense can be a major plus for you come playoff time, especially if you get matched up with someone that has never really gone against it. Doesn't Wofford run some form of veer as well?

GSU runs the same offense MOL as Navy and Georgia Tech... it is MOL the wishbone with the two HB's lined up as slot backs one yard back and one yard off the tackle.... it has been described as the "triple option from a run and shoot formation."

And yes... the offense has been VERY good to GSU through the years in the playoffs... most all time titles, title game appearances, playoff wins, playoff winning %, longest home playoff winning streak, etc.etc.etc.

49RFootballNow
September 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Can anyone stop Georgia Southern?

Only our last best hope for peace!

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/17326000/ngbbs48b86148cfee7.jpg

eaglemachine
September 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hey G. Southern fans......how does your triple option offense differ from say the veer type offense that Nebraska used back in the 80's, NDSU used this offense as well and won a bunch of DII titles with it. Is it basically the same type of offense or does it have major differences? I think running that offense can be a major plus for you come playoff time, especially if you get matched up with someone that has never really gone against it. Doesn't Wofford run some form of veer as well? Sure wish you guys would have kept your game in Fargo this year so we could have gotten some experience against it, plus it would have been a great matchup. I guess we did see it back in 06 or something when we beat you down there, but I believe you have better personel now.

Wofford runs more of a shotgun formation than a flexbone usually, but this year we added that formation too. To see the flexbone formation, see my youtube playlist listed in my sig.

da_Bison
September 27th, 2011, 02:10 PM

GSU didnt run the option when we played them in 06 under Hatcher, went back to it last year or the year before if i'm correct

blueballs
September 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
GSU didnt run the option when we played them in 06 under Hatcher, went back to it last year or the year before if i'm correct

That is correct... Brian Van Gorder (gawd I hated typing that asshole's name) was the coach. He had the QB (Jayson Foster) who rushed for over 1500 yeards the year before in the option playing WR and promptly went 3-8. Hatcher took over the next year, put Jayson Foster back at QB, watched him rush for over 1800 yards and win the Payton Award. GSU missed the playoffs when a 31 yd FG on the last play of the game against Furman which would have won the conference was wide right.

Hatcher's fortunes went downhill quickly culminating in a 5-6 season in 2009 and his firing immediately after the last game. Jeff Monken (an asst under Paul Johnson at GSU, Navy, and GA Tech) was hired and immediately brought back the option and old time GSU speed, toughness, and GATA. GSU struggled with injuries and youth and started out 4-4 last year before getting healthy and hitting their stride. Since then they've won 9/10 with the only loss coming to Delaware in the semi-finals last year.

GSU brought back all 11 starters on offense and 9 starters on defense this year so the young team that overachieved last year has grown up and are dangerous this year. What has happened since the first of November last year is not a fluke.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
That is correct... Brian Van Gorder (gawd I hated typing that asshole's name) was the coach. He had the QB (Jayson Foster) who rushed for over 1500 yeards the year before in the option playing WR and promptly went 3-8. Hatcher took over the next year, put Jayson Foster back at QB, watched him rush for over 1800 yards and win the Payton Award. GSU missed the playoffs when a 31 yd FG on the last play of the game against Furman which would have won the conference was wide right.

Hatcher's fortunes went downhill quickly culminating in a 5-6 season in 2009 and his firing immediately after the last game. Jeff Monken (an asst under Paul Johnson at GSU, Navy, and GA Tech) was hired and immediately brought back the option and old time GSU speed, toughness, and GATA. GSU struggled with injuries and youth and started out 4-4 last year before getting healthy and hitting their stride. Since then they've won 9/10 with the only loss coming to Delaware in the semi-finals last year.

GSU brought back all 11 starters on offense and 9 starters on defense this year so the young team that overachieved last year has grown up and are dangerous this year. What has happened since the first of November last year is not a fluke.

Oh but it was a fluke for us? We took the NC to overtime, to lose on a blown call on 2nd down on the 1 yd line, without being able to throw the ball. And we didnt run the crazy beagle offense either.

Nuhuh the lions are undefeated.

I feel you should know, our defense runs the option too. Refer to the last 5 seconds of the first half vs Minnesota. :p

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=282955298398888

1:47 to reference our option defense xlolx

straightshooter
September 27th, 2011, 03:46 PM
19 true freshmen got significant playing time in 2010 and 13 of those true freshmen started games for GSU. THe future in Statesboro looks to be very bright.

For what it's worth, VanGorder ran a pro style offense and Hatcher ran a wide open spread passing attack. He changed his offense a bit to allow Foster to run the ball and instead of throwing it 60 times a game, he had Foster throw it around 20 times. In 2008-2009, GSU threw it much more than they ran it. That's not the case any more.

igor
September 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM

It is different. First the Flexbone, which we call it, is more like the true wishbone. The difference is that the two wing backs are flexed out on both sides right behind where the tight ends would line up. It is a true triple option. The QB starts off by riding the fulback. As he does this he reads the defensive end. This read determines wether or not he gives the rock to the fullback. He can make a choice at this point to give the ball or pull it out and take it himself. At this point he makes a choice depending on certain factors to keep it or pitch the ball. The difference is that their are different reads plus two A backs in the picture. the problem for people is that we usually pound the full back getting 2, 3, 4 yrds a pop. eventually someone makes a mistake or gets blocked and the fullback gets out. If the full back has success and is doing well then teams stack the box trying to stop him and then they get hit with a QB run or pitch. And then once everyone is in the box and cant stop the run you hit them with a pass that many times they arent ready for because they are so tied up trying to stop the run. This is a very patient oriented offense. You keep pounding until it breaks loose. It always does if you have the right people playing. Folks need to remember also that last year these guys were just getting use to this offence again and the success of this offense has a lot to do with how the players on offense click and mesh. This year they are clicking much better. Will be interesting. There is alot of speed on this team. Kind of like some of our past championship teams. The loss last year to deleware wasnt so much due to the turnovers as much as it was about the team we had and the fact that they had not been together that long.

heath
September 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
welcome igor,you must really know the program.........player?

gsueagle2424
October 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Bump...Not this week. Next up the unstoppable (except when they face app, or CITADEL) force of UTC.