PDA

View Full Version : Big Tackle Mulling Dukes

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Here was a JMU and UMass related article in today's Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg.

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=4010&CHID=3

Big Tackle Mulling Dukes
The UConn transfer expects to make his decision today.

By Mike Barber
Posted 2006-04-20

It’s all about second chances.

Three years ago, James Madison tried to lure John Baranowsky to its football program. But Baranowsky, then a linebacker at Hargrave Military Academy, opted to try his hand at the Division I-A level at Connecticut.

But Baranowsky was dismissed from the Huskies’ team seven games into the 2005 season. Now, he’s looking for a place to resume his playing career, and JMU is looking to add him to its lineup – the second time around.

Baranowsky, now a 6-foot-3, 290-pound defensive tackle, visited Harrisonburg last Thursday and Friday. He said he’ll decide today whether to transfer to the Dukes or Atlantic 10 foe Massachusetts. By transferring to either I-AA program, he will be eligible to play right away and have two years of eligibility left.

(Continued...)

DTSpider
April 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Always tough to get excited about a guy who was dismissed mid-season for a violation of teams rules. With all the problems that UConn has been having too. That being said, the UConn transfer we have a Richmond is one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. He graduated in 3 years from UConn and is getting his MBA at UR.

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Either school would be taking a chance on him but hopefully he has indeed matured since whatever caused him to be dismissed from UConn. Has anyone out of UMass heard anything on his decision today?

GannonFan
April 21st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Always hard to gauge guys like this - they may be great additions, they may be duds. UD has Joe Holler from Penn St who was an extremely high rated OL coming out of high school. He battled weight there and now at UD and he's barely cracking the second team offensive line. Almost like high school recruits, you can never be too sure of how they'll pan out until you get em. Of course, they'll never pan out if you never get them so that's my deep thought of the day. ;)

JMU Duke Dog
April 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM
We'll get to see how he pans out at JMU now as he informed the Dukes yesterday he would be coming to Harrisonburg. One of our areas of concern is the defensive line so it'll be interesting to see how he will fit into the team. John Baranowsky, welcome to the JMU Dukes!

Uconn Tackle Joins JMU

Former Connecticut defensive tackle John Baranowsky said Thursday he will transfer to James Madison this summer, picking the Dukes over Atlantic 10 rival Massachusetts.

"I will be taking classes at JMU in the summer and hanging out with the guys and training and working out," Baranowsky said Thursday. "I’m really excited to get started."

Baranowsky, a rising junior, will have two years of eligibility with the Dukes. This past season, he played in each of the first seven games, recording 10 tackles and one sack as a backup defensive end before being dismissed on Nov. 18, 2005, for an undisclosed violation of team policy.

Baranowsky said he phoned JMU coach Mickey Matthews and defensive line coach J.C. Price on Thursday afternoon to inform them of his decision.

bluehenbillk
April 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Omar isn't worried.

GannonFan
April 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Omar isn't worried.

Heck, he's still running - probably hasn't had a chance to even log in to see this news. ;)

jmuroller
April 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM
You can't teach size.

GannonFan
April 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM
You can't teach size.

Technically you can't teach height - weight can be taught rather easily (eating, training, etc).

blukeys
April 21st, 2006, 09:13 PM
You can't teach size.

I never thought size was a problem on the JMU D-Line in 2004-2005. But Omar was a problem!!!!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: