PDA

View Full Version : UNH top 5?

Mattymc727
September 25th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I really dont think this UNH team is that good, yet posting wins at #13 Lehigh and at #5 Richmond should put us in the top 5. Huge road wins have shown UNH can push to the next level. I am a humble UNH fan but shoud we vote them top 5? i say no for now... I put them at 7....

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I really dont think this UNH team is that good, yet posting wins at #13 Lehigh and at #5 Richmond should put us in the top 5. Huge road wins have shown UNH can push to the next level. I am a humble UNH fan but shoud we vote them top 5? i say no for now... I put them at 7....

Definitely not top 5 now.....but what is their current rank?

Mattymc727
September 25th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I think 9 before the game

Mattymc727
at worst 11

JMUNJ08
At least 5 more steady teams this season than UNH in front of them for me. And no, none of my top 5 are in the CAA....2 east of the Mississippi for all those ECB folks...

UNHFootballAlum
September 25th, 2011, 12:43 AM
UNH is not ready to be a top 5 team yet. There is still more work to do. Unless UNH is the #1 team come playoff time, the committee will not gie them a seed, so what does it matter?

crusader11
September 25th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Haven't finalized my 25 yet, but they'll be around 7 or 8.

Dane96
September 25th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Definitely NOT top 5. Aaron Corp is totally to blame for that loss...UNH's defense has swiss cheese sized gaps right now.

WrenFGun
September 25th, 2011, 02:43 AM
By resume? Almost definitely.

MarchingMountaineer
September 25th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Since Richmond wasn't my #5, no. But UNH is in my Top 10.

seantaylor
September 25th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I have them at 8

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 25th, 2011, 05:42 AM
At this point top 10 yes top 5 no.

I will add this team is getting better. We'll see what shakes out.

Fear the Bird
September 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Definitely not a top 5 defense!

UNH Fanboi
September 25th, 2011, 07:29 AM
For some reason people always doubt UNH. The majority picked us to lose to Lehigh and Richmond.

The great thing about being in the CAA though is that they have plenty of opportunity to prove themselves.

I can understand not putting UNH in the top 5 because of their defense, but really, who has looked like a top 5 so far this year? I am not overly impressed with ANY team so far this year.

4th and What?
September 25th, 2011, 07:40 AM
but really, who has looked like a top 5 so far this year? I am not overly impressed with ANY team so far this year.

Didn't see the ND State/Minnesota game last night, did ya? I'm not voting this year, so only paying attention to the games that interest me, but ND State looked great.

Wildcat80
September 25th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Just Win Baby! Another big game vs Holy Cross....but at home! Defense needs to keep getting better and offense needs to always score 40+!!

Gil Dobie
September 25th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Moved UNH and NDSU into my to 10, but neither in my top 5.

UNH Fanboi
September 25th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Didn't see the ND State/Minnesota game last night, did ya? I'm not voting this year, so only paying attention to the games that interest me, but ND State looked great.

Actually, they are the most impressive team so far this year. If I were voting, I would probably put them at #1. Other than them though, we have a lot of teams that got blown out by an FBS team and/or beaten cupcakes. It's hard to tell who's for real until the conference schedules get into full swing.

NHwildEcat
September 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM
If i was voting this year I would say 6 or 7 at best. The defense is still garbage even with a couple pick 6's out there to help yesterday. Offense is one of the best in the country, but that defense is going to result in some conference losses out there, no doubt. Unfortunately there is no fix for a defense this bad. So I guess the team is going to have to prove me wrong because I don't see them winning anything as far as hardware is concerned.

With that said...they should be 4-1 after the next two weeks with home games against Holy Cross and Villanova.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Moved UNH and NDSU into my to 10, but neither in my top 5.

Interesting.

NDSU was top 10 material last week......

NDSU is definitely worthy of top 5 consideration this week.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Interesting.

from a rankings standpoint, they were in the top 5, but from a performance perspective they weren't top 5 last week. This week I think they are, but I don't vote anymore. I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon just yet though, Minnesota is looking quite terrible

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 25th, 2011, 08:49 AM
from a rankings standpoint, they were in the top 5, but from a performance perspective they weren't top 5 last week. This week I think they are, but I don't vote anymore. I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon just yet though, Minnesota is looking quite terrible

They lost to USC....17-19.....

I just thought they were top 10 material last week for sure....

Gil Dobie
September 25th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Interesting.

Too hard to judge the season so far. It will settle down once some MVFC games are played.
Maybe I'm trying too hard not to be a homer.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Too hard to judge the season so far. It will settle down once some MVFC games are played.
Maybe I'm trying too hard not to be a homer.

Bison looked very good last night!

I'm sure there will be plenty of nay-sayers with the attitude of the...."Gophers are a poor Big 10 team....Bison should have won"....

They still have 85 schollies to our 63 and we went into their house and beat them.....again!

Homecoming next week should be crazy!

frozennorth
September 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I might be missing something, and I'm not a voter, but I would go ndsu uni, gso msu

Unh would be getting consideration after that group

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
UNH cannot play defense and they cannot finish a game. I have seen them play twice. You can't rank a team top five with such flaws.

santosballnewhampshire
September 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM
UNH cannot play defense and they cannot finish a game. I have seen them play twice. You can't rank a team top five with such flaws.

We did finish off Lehigh and Richmond...on the road...

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have voted NDSU #1 the past two weeks... little doubt of that now and hopefully many others will join the vote. The Bison handled Minnesota.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2011, 09:26 AM
We did finish off Lehigh and Richmond...on the road...

Barely... both teams were dead ducks towards the end but they managed to come back and make a game of it.

santosballnewhampshire
September 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
but still lost...good insight though

crusader11
September 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Definitely NOT top 5. Aaron Corp is totally to blame for that loss...UNH's defense has swiss cheese sized gaps right now.

Two of UNH's touchdowns came from the defense. I actually saw some improvement from the defense since the UNH and Toledo games...still some holes in the secondary though.

TwoFeathers
September 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
They should move up. That is a big win on the road.

DTSpider
September 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Aaron Corp is totally to blame for that loss...

this comment just seems completely off the wall. the guys throws for 350 yards despite a lackluster offensive line and minimal run game support. yes, he had 2 picks, but how can you fault him? first one the RB bobbles the ball and then it is picked and on the second he got blown up on a 2 step drop since the RT let the DE go free.

to the topic of this thread. UR should not have been #5. still, it's a road win. i think the 7/8 slot makes sense.

UNH Fanboi
September 25th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Lets look at the teams ahead of UNH. With the exception of NDSU, what have these teams done that is so impressive?:

Georgia Southern Eagles - Have played Samford, a D2 and WCU. Won comfortably against all of them, but hasn't played a decent team yet.
Northern Iowa Panthers - Close loss to Iowa St. Win over SFA looks less meaningful now.
Montana State Bobcats - Wins over UC Davis, EWU (now 0-4) and a D2.
Appalachian State Mountaineers - Good but close win over solid Chatty team. Loss to VT still looks bad.
North Dakota State Bison - Blowout wins over weak competition and a solid win over Minnesota.
Richmond Spiders - Beat Duke but just lost to UNH
Wofford Terriers - Beat Presby 35-28 and Samford 38-23. Very impressive xrolleyesx
Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens - Just got a win against a possibly underrated ODU team, but is definitely not the same team without Devlin.
Wiliam & Mary Tribe - Poor showing vs. a D2. Just lost to JMU
Montana Grizzlies - Just lost to Sac St.

Mattymc727
September 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Clearly the UNH defense is not championship caliber right now. We still dont know if UNH is even the best CAA team right now. But I think an FBS loss, a win at a top 15 Lehigh and a top ten Richmond (regardless of score and personal opinion) is consideration for top 5 for just 4 weeks in. I would put them at 7, I just wanted to create a little buzz when I started the thread.

Fear the Bird
September 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Clearly the UNH defense is not championship caliber right now. We still dont know if UNH is even the best CAA team right now. But I think an FBS loss, a win at a top 15 Lehigh and a top ten Richmond (regardless of score and personal opinion) is consideration for top 5 for just 4 weeks in. I would put them at 7, I just wanted to create a little buzz when I started the thread.

Think that is exactly where you will see them come tomorrow 8 at worst

Longhorn
September 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM
For some reason people always doubt UNH. The majority picked us to lose to Lehigh and Richmond.

The great thing about being in the CAA though is that they have plenty of opportunity to prove themselves.

I can understand not putting UNH in the top 5 because of their defense, but really, who has looked like a top 5 so far this year? I am not overly impressed with ANY team so far this year.

UNH's QB looked great against UR yesterday. And as maligned as UNH's D might be, it still produced two pick-6s, which effectively turned the game around and helped UNH to a huge win on the road. If UNH is not top 5, they're darn close!

crusader11
September 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM
UNH's QB looked great against UR yesterday.

A lot of people have bee saying that this year. Hard to believe he wasn't the starter last year. A real head scratcher.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
A lot of people have bee saying that this year. Hard to believe he wasn't the starter last year. A real head scratcher.

Ohh no.....

crusader11
September 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Second in the CAA in both passing and rushing touchdowns...

MR. CHICKEN
September 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
8..................AWK!

UNH FANBOI..........NOT MISSIN' DEVLIN......BRAWK!

WileECoyote06
September 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
#8 seems about right.

RichH2
September 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I put UNH at #6 , unlikely to break into top 5 until one of them loses. true for 6-25

Spiderbone
September 25th, 2011, 07:35 PM
They should be above Richmond for sure, but definitely not top 5. A top 5 team would have finished its competition and not let them back into the game. I am going to stir the pot here.......UNH needed help to win this game. UR defense played well, minus the one big play at the end of the game. I say Richmond at 10 and UNH at 9.

1) the UR Kickoff team spotted them an offensive start of the UR 30 yard line
2) two pick sixes from a bobble/tip pass and Corp getting the equivalent of a code red from the right tackle.
3) Kamin (kicker) misses the Xp and UR has to try to get two scores instead of one to win the game, scoring two more times in fact, but still coming up short.
4) UNH QB fumbles (reviewed on tape and out of hands as it bumped off of lineman's helmet before crossing into the endzone) on TD play at near end of game, UR recovers, TD for UNH.
5) Tre Gray recovers the onside kick, has possession and is down but ball is stripped and UNH takes over
6) instant replay would be nice to have in FCS or at least the CAA....see #4 and #5

All that said, all is fair in love and war and UNH played one hell of a game. I think UR will be up for the Barney's next week and should do well through the rest of the conference schedule, if they limit their turnovers. UNH should roll, but need to shore up their defense, to win the big one.

Hopefully we will see them in the playoffs.

bojeta
September 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM
No, but #9 sounds right to me.

UNH72Plus
September 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM
UNH defense played well in the middle of the game. I don't know if it was a function of Richmond's playing calling (trying to run when they had been embarassing the D backs, or If UNH's blitzing was taking its toll). For whatever reason, it seemed to work. Then they lapsed into the that semi-prevent defense and got picked apart by Corp, or more specifically by Gray. How can one guy be that open that often. Also troubling was the fact that UNH's leading tackler was a D back.