PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 3

bonarae
September 24th, 2011, 09:50 PM
NOTE: I won't be here for the entire gameday (Oct 1), I will be out of town and won't have internet access at all until I get home (late in the evening local time, early morning of Oct 2 in the U.S.). Someone update this thread with final scores as soon as the games are over.

My record heading into this week: 6-8

Yale at Lehigh - no question here. Lehigh is still dangerous.
Wagner at Cornell - should be close
Harvard at Lafayette - Harvard should be consistent in this game (similar to what balance of offense and defense had gathered against Brown), otherwise another loss will happen (like what happened to Holy Cross)
Penn at Dartmouth - is Penn spiraling down?
Rhode Island at Brown - another close game
Columbia at Princeton - is Columbia the Dartmouth of the 2010's?

bulldog10jw
September 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Yale
Cornell
Harvard
Penn
Rhode Island
Columbia

bulldog10jw
September 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM
is Columbia the Dartmouth of the 2010's?

Or the Columbia of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's

Ivytalk
September 26th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Lehigh
Cornell
Harvard
Dartmouth
URI
Princeton

DJOM
September 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Princeton comes back strong.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Early lines:

New Hampshire (-11.5) vs Holy Cross

Cornell (-1.5) vs Wagner

Lehigh (-12) vs Yale

Harvard (-7) at Lafayette

Georgetown (pk) at Bucknell

Fordham (pk) at Colgate

Penn (pk) at Dartmouth

Columbia (-4) at Princeton

Rhode Island (-3) at Brown

Other games of interest:

Jacksonville (-14) at Marist

Delaware (-5) at Maine

James Madison (-6) vs Richmond

Villanova (-3) vs William & Mary

alvinkayak6
September 28th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Nate Eachus is supposedly returning for 'Gate. I would be hard-pressed to bet against the Radiers for this one

alvinkayak6
September 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Also I am shocked to see JMU favored over Richmond. What the heck?

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Nate Eachus is supposedly returning for 'Gate.

Link? Where did you read this?

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Also I am shocked to see JMU favored over Richmond. What the heck?

Confirmed. James Madison (-5.5) vs Richmond, with an o/u of 35.5

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Updated, with the over/under for each game:

New Hampshire (-11.5) vs Holy Cross o/u 58

Cornell (-1.5) vs Wagner o/u 44.5

Lehigh (-12) vs Yale o/u 55

Harvard (-7) at Lafayette o/u 43.5

Georgetown (pk) at Bucknell o/u 46

Fordham (pk) at Colgate o/u 49

Penn (pk) at Dartmouth o/u 46.5

Columbia (-4) at Princeton o/u 46

Rhode Island (-3) at Brown o/u 39

Other games of interest:

Jacksonville (-14) at Marist o/u 59.5

Delaware (-5) at Maine o/u 40

James Madison (-6) vs Richmond o/u 35.5

Villanova (-3) vs William & Mary o/u 36

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Go, Dartmouth! Puck Fenn!:D

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Go, Dartmouth! Puck Fenn!:D

Made this just for you, Ivytalk -

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2016/puckfenn.gif

carney2
September 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Yale at Lehigh - The ChickenSquawks are the real deal.
Wagner at Cornell - Not real comfortable with this pick. SUNY Ithaca could lose to the Vassar JVs.
Harvard at Lafayette - Just hang up your favorite pinata and start flailing away.
Penn at Dartmouth - It's now or never for the preseason favorites.
Rhode Island at Brown - Could be a game worth seeing
Columbia at Princeton - Is Tigger looking at an oh-fer?

RichH2
September 29th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Lu over Yale Witt could make it close
Harvard too many weapons for Pards, Pard D will keep it close
Cornell not good but Matthews enuf to top Wagner
Penn close ovr Dart
Brown upsets URI what the heck, just felt like it
Columbia not good Pronceton not either , 2 good qbs, Lions tougher than Tigers

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Has Keggy made any pregame appearances for the muffs?

Cleets
September 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Yale
Cornell
Harvard
Penn
Rhode Island
Columbia

You got Yale over Leewho... (I smell a homer pick) and if you even think about saying "trillions" in your reply anywhere - it's over between us...

xeyebrowx

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Made this just for you, Ivytalk -

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2016/puckfenn.gif

So change your name to Bogus Stupendous!xbowxxbowx

alvinkayak6
September 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I can't pick any games this year int he Ivy any more. With Dartmouth losing to Sacred Heart, and Princeton doing ok, and Penn looking weak. What the heck do I do?

ngineer
September 29th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Lu over Yale Witt could make it close
Harvard too many weapons for Pards, Pard D will keep it close
Cornell not good but Matthews enuf to top Wagner
Penn close ovr Dart
Brown upsets URI what the heck, just felt like it
Columbia not good Pronceton not either , 2 good qbs, Lions tougher than Tigers

Defense needs to cut Witt down to size...Make him a 'half Witt'! (;-)

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
The toast is a good one too... if you could have the toast look moldy or half-eaten with the Penn logo, viola!

alvinkayak6
September 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Good one, ngineer. Points repped.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
If you think food with collegiate logos is simply Photoshop magic, think again... Lafayette's dining halls have waffle irons with a leopard print engraving.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
So change your name to Bogus Stupendous!xbowxxbowx

Thanks. Here's a link to an AGS-sized avatar of the Fenn Puck, should the need arise . . . .

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/5448/puckfenn160.gif

Now, speaking of Fenn Pucks, I know that you, at least, understand my Tab avatar this week!

The toast is a good one too... if you could have the toast look moldy or half-eaten with the Penn logo, viola!

But P4L - it was a goof on the original "divine image" toast as a tribute to Paul Reinhard, who foresaw that Penn would be "toast" at the end of the third! I can't desecrate Paul with moldy toast!

bulldog10jw
September 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM
You got Yale over Lewho... (I smell a homer pick) and if you even think about saying "trillions" in your replay anywhere - it's over between us...

xeyebrowx

Homer pick + hopeful pick + SOMEBODY had to pick Yale. xrolleyesx

The "T" word will never be included in any of our conversations again, I can only go to that well so often. xlolx

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM

OY GEVALT!!!xlolxxawesomex

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Reppies!

alvinkayak6
September 29th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Pard4Life

It's actually VOILA with one of those goofy things on top of the A. A viola is a type of instrument played by Princeton's top scholar-athletes and other malcontents.

RichH2
September 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM

I thought of using a similar pun but I resisted the impulse. I did enjoy my groan at yours however

Fordhamanhattan
September 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The Fordham coaches thought the Rhode Island skill guys were better than UConn. Watch this kid Baskerville particularly on the Wildcat.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Lehigh over Yale 35-9

Cornell over Wagner 28-21

Lafayette over Harvard 24-16 (irrational homer pick)

Penn over Dartmouth 28-24

Rhode Island over Brown - 21-17

Columbia over Princeton - 28-21

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2011, 07:10 PM
If Princeton loses to Columbia, Mr. Surace may find his office padlocked come Monday morning!xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxcoolx

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Lehigh over Yale 35-9

Cornell over Wagner 28-21

Lafayette over Harvard 24-16 (irrational homer pick)

Penn over Dartmouth 28-24

Rhode Island over Brown - 21-17

Columbia over Princeton - 28-21

Hey... I matter of factly pointed out that absolutely nobody picked Lafayette to beat Penn the week of the game... I was about to say it again but you ruined it Bogie!

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 07:25 PM
If Princeton loses to Columbia, Mr. Surace may find his office padlocked come Monday morning!xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxcoolx

Whats the deal with Columbia? They always seem so close to turning the corner on field, and they have the Krafts and other big names behind the team, but they still lose... why?

Go...gate
September 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Lehigh 33, Yale 24

Wagner 17. Cornell 16

Lafayette 23, Harvard 20

Dartmouth 28, Penn 21

Brown 30, Rhode Island 27

Princeton 20, Columbia 10

Go...gate
September 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Not a chance. Even Joe Scott got three BAD years as BB Coach before he was in trouble.

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Whats the deal with Columbia? They always seem so close to turning the corner on field, and they have the Krafts and other big names behind the team, but they still lose... why?

A number of factors: The losing tradition, the distances between campus and the FB facilities, the urban location, being out-recruited by other Ivy schools perceived as "better." I'm sure there are others.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Weather does not look promising for Saturday... may give advantages to Colgate and Harvard.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM
A number of factors: The losing tradition, the distances between campus and the FB facilities, the urban location, being out-recruited by other Ivy schools perceived as "better." I'm sure there are others.

My Columbia-grad professional colleagues address this by saying that the anti-football sentiment in Morningside Heights remains so prevalent that even an entrenched Pardsville faculty nay-sayer would cry foul. The Lion squad has to trek across Manhattan and then up to the Spuyten Duyvil each day, lonely and ostracized by their peers, to practice for games that nobody on campus will see or care about.

I have a great deal of respect for the efforts of the Columbia players. Every other team in the league engenders at least a modicum of faithful support even amongst portions of the entrenched academia. Not so Columbia. They want more "puppet shows," as we like to joke about in Easton. That has to wear on you after a while.

I think that Norries Wilson is a great guy and a really good football coach; he seems to have Frank Tavani's respect for sure. Being a Columbia player must seem like a major buzz-kill at times.

Fordhamanhattan
September 30th, 2011, 06:30 AM
The Chairman of Columbia's Board of Trustees, Bill Campbell was captain of their only Ivy League Championship team. He has funded their beautiful new Athletic facility on the Baker field complex. His brother was the leading receiver for Roger Staubach at Navy. They like Fordham, are a sleeping Lion. In my opinion and I went to grad school at UT Austin in Earl Campbell days and Northwestern in their Columbia days, Baker Field is the most beautiful place to see a gridiron fray in the entire US of A.xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2011, 10:01 AM
The Chairman of Columbia's Board of Trustees, Bill Campbell was captain of their only Ivy League Championship team. He has funded their beautiful new Athletic facility on the Baker field complex. His brother was the leading receiver for Roger Staubach at Navy. They like Fordham, are a sleeping Lion. In my opinion and I went to grad school at UT Austin in Earl Campbell days and Northwestern in their Columbia days, Baker Field is the most beautiful place to see a gridiron fray in the entire US of A.xthumbsupx

Baker Field -- the new one -- is a nice facility, although it's a royal pain to get to, but Princeton has the best Ivy FB stadium, IMHO. If only P'ton had a FB team to stock it with.xcoolx:pxwhistlex

RichH2
September 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Baker is a great venue but it is annoyingly difficult to get too and I live in NYC

Pards Rule
September 30th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Baker Field -- the new one -- is a nice facility, although it's a royal pain to get to, but Princeton has the best Ivy FB stadium, IMHO. If only P'ton had a FB team to stock it with.xcoolx:pxwhistlex

It thought it was Lawrence Wein Stadium? I recall the old Baker Bowl (never been there though) when we played at Columbia.

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
It thought it was Lawrence Wein Stadium? I recall the old Baker Bowl (never been there though) when we played at Columbia.

You are correct, Pards: it's now Robert "Patriots" Kraft Field at Lawrence Wien Stadium. Nice place, built on the site of the old Baker Field, which was a dump.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Indeed, the location and views on a fall day are terrific.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM
You have to sit on the home side to take in the view at Baker (or whatever it's called). It's a prime piece of real estate, though.

bonarae
October 1st, 2011, 03:55 PM
Just a quick update before I leave for out of town:

I am a perfect 3-0 thus far this week with 2 games left to play.

Lehigh 37, Yale 7
Cornell 31, Wagner 7
Harvard 31, Lafayette 3

bonarae
October 2nd, 2011, 06:07 AM
Final update:

My record is 5-1, with the only blemish coming on Penn.

Lehigh 37, Yale 7 - After all, Lehigh might be the contender in the PL.
Cornell 31, Wagner 7 - Defense shines here.
Harvard 31, Lafayette 3 - Defense is king for the Crimson once again.
Brown 35, Rhode Island 21 - Newhall-Caballero has recovered from his own slump.
Penn 22, Dartmouth 20 - Surprise.
Princeton 24, Columbia 21

My record thus far: 11-9