PDA

View Full Version : APP approves resolution to move up

tarmac
September 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Just need a place to land.

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/sep/23/asu-trustees-approve-football-conference-move-ar-1425826/

"
BOONE --

Appalachian State University trustees voted today to follow a feasibility study committee's recommendation and seek to move the university's football team to the Football Bowl Subdivision, a university spokeswoman said.

The vote was 9-1, with board member Bradley Adcock casting the "no" vote. Three board members were absent.

The board adopted a resolution thanking the committee and asking the university's Executive Committee to work with Chancellor Ken Peacock and other administrators to evaluate opportunities to move to the Football Bowl Subdivision and bring a recommendation for action to the trustees.

Last month, the feasibility study committee recommended the move.

The board of trustees' meeting was held in Washington, D.C., where trustees toured ASU's entry in the Solar Decathlon.

The board is traveling back to North Carolina by bus. Adcock could not be immediately reached.

All of the Mountaineers' sports teams are at the Division I level, but the football program competes in the Football Championship Subdivision of Division I, which offers fewer scholarships than the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The football team has won three national championships over the past six years. G.A. Sywassink, who was both chairman of the study committee and a trustee who voted for the move, said the committee is convinced the football program can remain competitive if it goes to the Football Bowl Subdivision."

whoanellie
September 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Q: Will this "Soap Opry" be replacing "All my Children" ? Oh No!! will it ever end?

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think App State is moving way too fast with this decision and needs to be more open with what's going on.

Can anyone tell us more about what is going on?

More details would great.xawesomex

carney2
September 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Idiots.

superman7515
September 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?93998-App-begins-Conference-talks

See around Page 10

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
"We are Marshall."

alvinkayak6
September 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hahahahah bogus that is why I wanted to be friends with u. classic burn . heck, they would be LUCKY to get to marshall's status xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrota tehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

Accelerati Incredibilus
September 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Q: Will this "Soap Opry" be replacing "All my Children" ? Oh No!! will it ever end?

Unlike Elon's losing streak to ASU, this will end soon enough. Perhaps then your birds might have a chance of winning the conference championship. Oops I forgot, GSU is still in the league and long as the Eagles are around you guys can forget bringing home any hardware.

Mountaineer#96
September 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Unlike Elon's losing streak to ASU, this will end soon enough. Perhaps then your birds might have a chance of winning the conference championship. Oops I forgot, GSU is still in the league and long as the Eagles are around you guys can forget bringing home any hardware.

+ 1

Pard4Life
September 23rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Adios App... Stupid move... AGS membership drops by 25%.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?93998-App-begins-Conference-talks

See around Page 10

Is that all the talk about App moving up that there's been? I really think there needs to be more discussion on the matter. xnutsx

Mountaineer#96
September 23rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Adios App... Stupid move... AGS membership drops by 25%.

Has this website always had backseat drivers?

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hahahahah bogus that is why I wanted to be friends with u. classic burn . heck, they would be LUCKY to get to marshall's status xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrota tehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

Thanks, but it's not even a burn. I like App. State a lot. I have a great deal of respect for the institution. Were I to recommend any public college in North Carolina, it would be Appalachian. In fact I have done so.

But this won't turn out quite the way Mountaineer Athletics thinks it will, IMHO. Let's put it this way - is Marshall more significant now, or when Chad Pennington was lighting up the place? Were App. State a middling FBS squad, would a generation of Carolinians be naming their first-born after Armanti Edwards?

Skjellyfetti
September 23rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
is Marshall more significant now, or when Chad Pennington was lighting up the place?

Most of Pennington's career was at the I-A level (1997, 1998, 1999).

alvinkayak6
September 24th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Consider the following questions:

Delaware now (competing for FCS titles) or going 4-4 in the MAC.

Ga. Southern now (competing for FCS titles) or going 5-3 in the Sun Belt.

Stephen F. Austin now (competing for FCS titles) or going 1-7 in Conference USA.

Montana now (competing for FCS titles) or going 2-6 in the Mountain West.

I believe the answers are all with the FCS status quo.

49RFootballNow
September 24th, 2011, 12:42 AM
If the University's leaders have determined that FBS is the proper move for what they want their program to achieve for the University, then that is the right decision to make. They will not be the first University to come to that conclusion and they will not be the last.

superman7515
September 24th, 2011, 12:43 AM

Stephen F. Austin now (competing for FCS titles) or going 1-7 in Conference USA.

The CAA is consistently rated higher than the MAC and a few FCS conferences are usually higher than the Sun Belt. The top 2-3 from the CAA & SoCon each year would fare considerably better in the MAC & Sun Belt than 4-4 or 5-3.

alvinkayak6
September 24th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, Superman, I probably was a bit unfair to the FCS boys. NDSU can certainly beat Big Ten schools.

However, the UNH vs. Toledo result makes me worried about giving CAA teams more credit than above .500. I don't see many CAA teams matching Toledo or Temple right now. 42-7 vs. Villanueva. Ouch.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 05:56 AM
If the University's leaders have determined that FBS is the proper move for what they want their program to achieve for the University, then that is the right decision to make.

Man, I want to pit you against Sader87 in a debate about the immediate, unchallenged deference to be accorded to the decisions of one's university leaders. Who knew that they were always right?

GSU EAGLES
September 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM

The problem with App is that they will be the 6th FBS team in NC which doesn't produce a ton of talent each year.

Georgia Southern on the other hand could benefit greatly from moving up. Last year over 170 high school players signed FBS scholarships. The only FBS schools in state Ga and Ga Tech signed about 35 in state players last year which leaves 135 that have no choice but to go out of state. Also, Ga Tech can only recruit smart players as their easiest degree is Business Management and their avg SAT is almost 1400 on the old system which means there is nowhere to hide the players. Most players want to stay in state so Ga Southern could load up on 3 star athletes and even pick off a 4 star occasionally. Ga Southern would easily move to the top of the SB in short time. We would probably finish top 4 in the SB right now.

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I take every chance I can to gig ASU (I do have a TON of respect for the program), however I am sitting here with my buddy (an ASU grad) and we both feel that this is NOT a good decision for the Mountaineers. I can see page 8 of the sports section of the WSJ on December 9, 2023.... Mountaineers First Bowl game Tonight!!!!!

GunsAndGuitars
September 24th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I take every chance I can to gig ASU (I do have a TON of respect for the program), however I am sitting here with my buddy (an ASU grad) and we both feel that this is NOT a good decision for the Mountaineers. I can see page 8 of the sports section of the WSJ on December 9, 2023.... Mountaineers First Bowl game Tonight!!!!!

My gut feeling is that it's not the best idea.

dgtw
September 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM
The problem with App is that they will be the 6th FBS team in NC which doesn't produce a ton of talent each year.

Georgia Southern on the other hand could benefit greatly from moving up. Last year over 170 high school players signed FBS scholarships. The only FBS schools in state Ga and Ga Tech signed about 35 in state players last year which leaves 135 that have no choice but to go out of state. Also, Ga Tech can only recruit smart players as their easiest degree is Business Management and their avg SAT is almost 1400 on the old system which means there is nowhere to hide the players. Most players want to stay in state so Ga Southern could load up on 3 star athletes and even pick off a 4 star occasionally. Ga Southern would easily move to the top of the SB in short time. We would probably finish top 4 in the SB right now.

You'd better jump before the "other" GSU beats you to it. For everything you said, it is the same for them, plus the draw of living in a major city like Atlanta.

AppMan
September 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM

That would be a problem if ASU relied only on players from NC. Of the 46 in state players on the current roster, 22 came as walk ons. ASU has 45 out of state players, 16 from the state of Georgia, and that number will only go up once we go FBS. From what I am told, GSU is not in the position financially to make a move to FBS, so all those 3 star recruits you talk of staying in state will soon be headed to the mountains of NC to play FBS football.

GSU EAGLES
September 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM
That would be a problem if ASU relied only on players from NC. Of the 46 in state players on the current roster, 22 came as walk ons. ASU has 45 out of state players, 16 from the state of Georgia, and that number will only go up once we go FBS. From what I am told, GSU is not in the position financially to make a move to FBS, so all those 3 star recruits you talk of staying in state will soon be headed to the mountains of NC to play FBS football.

I am just saying that anytime you are relying on players from out of state it just makes things a little more difficult. Tennesse was great during the 90's when they were able to land top players from out of state. Once that pipeline was cut off they fell off the map. Not saying App can't be successful, but you have no competitive advantage so it will take a great coaching staff and administration to pull it off.

TribeAdvocate
September 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Man, I want to pit you against Sader87 in a debate about the immediate, unchallenged deference to be accorded to the decisions of one's university leaders. Who knew that they were always right?

I don't believe the implication is that their decisions are always right, I think the implication is that their leaders have probably considered a great deal of information in making this decision. Since they have decided that this is the best way to go then it is in the best interest of the university for everyone to support that decision and try to make the transition as successful as possible. Nobody will know if it was the right move until 20 years from now, but the officials, I am sure, have done all of their homework and decided that the numbers seem to be in their favor. Best of luck to App St. from a 49er grad and a Tribe student.