PDA

View Full Version : ASU's "conservative play calling"

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Conservative play calling is sometimes related to the coaches seeing in practice which plays the team is not capable of pulling off consistently.

If it doesn't work in practice it won't work in the game, especially against a formidable opponent. In the Savannah State and A&T games, they did not need less conservative plays anyway.

How many on here have been watching all the practices?

james_lawfirm
September 23rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
If it doesn't work in practice it won't work in the game, especially against a formidable opponent. In the Savannah State and A&T games, they did not need less conservative plays anyway.

What do you mean "did not need less conservative plays anyway"?

Did you mean App would win if the plays were simply randomly chosen?
Or did you mean App could relax & call the games aggressively b/c SSU & A&T were going to lose anyway?
Or did you really mean App did not need MORE conservative plays agaisnt SSU & A&T?

It seems to me that there would be merit in playing OOC games against sub-par opponents with a limited (conservative) playbook for two reasons: 1) to work on basics for the newbees; & 2) so as not to reveal our playbook for our SoCon opponents.

Unless the coaches think the players need more practice, I expect to see MUCH better playcalling tomorrow, with a wider variety of plays. I just hope we see APP'S offense doing that & NOT Chatty's. I also think we are going to have to risk blitzing a lot on defense.

Skjellyfetti
September 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Brad Glenn said in an interview on Rivals that they have kept the playbook pretty limited in the early games because of the competition and getting the young guys up to speed. He said they are opening it up this week.

This thread is premature, imo. Glenn may still not open up the playbook and call another vanilla game. But, save this thread until we know.

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
What do you mean "did not need less conservative plays anyway"?

Did you mean App would win if the plays were simply randomly chosen?
Or did you mean App could relax & call the games aggressively b/c SSU & A&T were going to lose anyway?
Or did you really mean App did not need MORE conservative plays agaisnt SSU & A&T?

It seems to me that there would be merit in playing OOC games against sub-par opponents with a limited (conservative) playbook for two reasons: 1) to work on basics for the newbees; & 2) so as not to reveal our playbook for our SoCon opponents.

Unless the coaches think the players need more practice, I expect to see MUCH better playcalling tomorrow, with a wider variety of plays. I just hope we see APP'S offense doing that & NOT Chatty's. I also think we are going to have to risk blitzing a lot on defense.

What I meant by less conservative was that we didn't need plays which were more creative since the game went well in our favor without "opening the playbook."

james_lawfirm
September 23rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
What I meant by less conservative was that we didn't need plays which were more creative since the game went well in our favor without "opening the playbook."

Gotcha.