PDA

View Full Version : FAMU would benefit from move to SWAC

Jafus (Thinker)
April 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Column: FAMU would benefit from move to SWAC

Column by Heath A. Smith
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

http://www.tallahasseedemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/BREAKINGNEWS/604180352

There are four must-see games for Florida A&M football fans: Bethune-Cookman, Tennessee State, Southern and the Rattlers' designated homecoming opponent.

FAMU and Southern haven't played each other since 2001, leaving a void in the schedules of both schools.

That was until FAMU athletic director Nelson Townsend announced Saturday that the series between the two schools was being renewed starting in 2007.

Townsend also said that it was his plan to have a school from the Southwestern Athletic Conference on FAMU's home football schedule every year. ...

dbackjon
April 18th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I didn't realize that there was such a gap between FAMU and most of the MEAC like that.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM
FAMU in the SWAC? Interesting.

It'd definitely be a travel issue for the schools in the SWAC, who on most occasions, bus around the league as is. A 10 hour drive to the SWAC schools from Tallahassee? He kidding?!? It's like five to six hours (pending traffic) from New Orleans to Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M in Houston. Though, it is much better compared to Delaware St. Yikes! Talk about a long bus trip!

He mentioned Savannah St as a possible MEAC team. MEAC really want that program?

SU Jag
April 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I would love to see it! It would love to add FAMU and Tuskegee!:nod: The MEAC could pick up Tennessee State.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I would love to see it! It would love to add FAMU and Tuskegee!:nod: The MEAC could pick up Tennessee State.

Tennessee State is better off in the OVC...

Tuskegee? Haven't we talked about them jumping before?

mikebigg
April 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM

It'd definitely be a travel issue for the schools in the SWAC, who on most occasions, bus around the league as is. A 10 hour drive to the SWAC schools from Tallahassee? He kidding?!? It's like five to six hours (pending traffic) from New Orleans to Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M in Houston. Though, it is much better compared to Delaware St. Yikes! Talk about a long bus trip!

He mentioned Savannah St as a possible MEAC team. MEAC really want that program?

The travel issue could be easily resolved... With BCC & FAMU joining the SWAC East, Alcorn could be shifted to the SWAC West Division. The next thing would be to end the 9 game mandate and assign permanent opponents from the other conference with teams having an option of negotiating to play other teams either in a classic or whatever arrangment they work out. But it would give more flexibility to all of the teams.

West/East Permanent Pairings
Alcorn versus Bama State
Arkansas PB versus Alabama A&M
Grambling versus Bethune Cookman
Prairie View versus Mississippi Valley
Southern versus FAMU
Texas Southern versus Jackson State

blukeys
April 18th, 2006, 11:32 PM
If FAMU and BC left the MEAC, the MEAC would be in serious trouble regardless of what the author says (FAMU for North Carolina Central give me a break!!!!). FAMU is the benchmark program for the MEAC. As much as Delstate alums would like to see a game with UD, beating FAMU in football ranks as high or even higher on their list. I suspect other MEAC teams feel the same.

DelState and Hampton are already looking at other conferences. (Big South for DelState) Howard and Morgan State would be crazy not to look at other options as well. There are a lot of possibilities opening up in the East in I-AA football. Four teams in the Mid-Atlantic looking for conference affiliations may look enticing to a new conference looking to get started. ( OK you AE conspiracy theorists how about looking at these teams!!)

For the record Nelson Townsend is a former DSU AD. The fact that he is at FAMU explains a lot over the last few years.

MACHIAVELLI
April 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
For the record Nelson Townsend is a former DSU AD. The fact that he is at FAMU explains a lot over the last few years.

Not so fast. He recently got the gig. It hasn't even been 6 months.

MACHIAVELLI
April 19th, 2006, 08:20 AM
The travel issue could be easily resolved... With BCC & FAMU joining the SWAC East, Alcorn could be shifted to the SWAC West Division. The next thing would be to end the 9 game mandate and assign permanent opponents from the other conference with teams having an option of negotiating to play other teams either in a classic or whatever arrangment they work out. But it would give more flexibility to all of the teams.

West/East Permanent Pairings
Alcorn versus Bama State
Arkansas PB versus Alabama A&M
Grambling versus Bethune Cookman
Prairie View versus Mississippi Valley
Southern versus FAMU
Texas Southern versus Jackson State

ICON/Grambling should leave the SWAC :nod:

gophoenix
April 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
If NC A&T, SC State, Delaware St and Hampton leave the MEAC like some of their coaches and fans want them to, then A&M will be a very lonely school in the MEAC.

HIU 93
April 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
If FAMU and BC left the MEAC, the MEAC would be in serious trouble regardless of what the author says (FAMU for North Carolina Central give me a break!!!!). FAMU is the benchmark program for the MEAC.

1. NCCU is a founding member of the MEAC.
2. FAMU won the first Div. I-AA National Championship, and is a historically good football program. Their academics are world renowned as well. They are not, however, the "...benchmark..." for the MEAC. The MEAC has two benchmarks. When it comes to education and reputation as a whole, there is no other HBCU more well known or respected than Howard. There is a reason that they call it "The Mecca". When it comes to leadership and fundraising, there is ONE school that is mentioned above all the rest. It has produced more college presidents than any other school in the last ten years, and has increased it's endowment more than twentyfold since 1978 (not bad for a small, Black, private school), when the current administration entered. Under the leadership of Dr. William Harvey, Hampton University has and will continue to be THE university to model academic leadership after.
3. I don't think FAMU should leave. I value their membership in the MEAC. However, if their President and Board of Trustees feel it is the best move, then I wish them the best of luck. It is up to them and them only, not some staff writer form the T&D.

HIU 93
April 19th, 2006, 09:04 AM
If NC A&T, SC State, Delaware St and Hampton leave the MEAC like some of their coaches and fans want them to, then A&M will be a very lonely school in the MEAC.

MAYBE DSU, but A&T and Hampton have no desire to go anywhere.

SU Jag
April 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Tennessee State is better off in the OVC...

Tuskegee? Haven't we talked about them jumping before?

Yeah, but the old traditinalist dont wanna see TU make any moves right now! They are the show in D-2. The have probably the largest fan base, their either 1 or 2 in attendance every year, and the SIAC is full of rivary games for them. Because they've been so good over the years, where ever they go will be packed out. Everyone in the SIAC gives Tuskgee their best shot. Albany State has been running the SIAC as of late but I still think that Tuskegee is the most hated team. By moving to the SWAC, they give up the "big dogs on the block" mentality, and the older generation is not ready for that.

gophoenix
April 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM
MAYBE DSU, but A&T and Hampton have no desire to go anywhere.

Have you not read the newspapers over the past three years? Hampton and Delaware St have had numerous articles talking about the schools seeking membership elsewhere. Del St specifically has been mentioned in articles with the Big South while Hampton has been specifically mentioned in articles with the CAA and SoCon.

I said also A&T fans, not A&T itself, and fans control most of the money. Read their message boards, especially for SC State. A&T and SC State both have growing groups of fans that are becoming dissatisfied with the MEAC. It's true. The previous AD of A&T was actually investigating the SoCon too. In fact, SC State fans have been trolling through many SoCon and Big South boards pushign their case to move elsewhere.

If the MEAC chooses to not participate in the playoffs, I guarantee that they'll lose 2-4 members almost immediately. Lots of the younger generations graduating from HBCUs are wanting more than these old rivalries and classics.

As for A&M's acdemics being world renowned? Is that a serious statement? A&T has nationally known programs too. And whoever talked abotu Howard was spot on.

HIU 93
April 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Have you not read the newspapers over the past three years?

I sure have, and I also speak with "higher-ups" in Hampton administration about twice a month. I think we as alums and those close to the administration know more than "the papers". Don't believe everything you read.

gophoenix
April 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Speaking with the higher-ups is about as reliable as newspapers are though too.

If Hampton is ahppy in the MEAC, then so be it. If other schools leave, then the MEAC is a sinking ship of schools hanging on to times long gone.

arranger101
April 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM

Just for the record....

FAMU was originally a SWAC memberxcoffeex . But I wouldn't want to see them go, just Commish Thomas!!!!!:mad: :mad:

bluedog
April 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Just for the record....

FAMU was originally a SWAC memberxcoffeex . But I wouldn't want to see them go, just Commish Thomas!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Dude some of you all really need to actually know what you're talking about before you speak. FAMU has never been a member of the SWAC.

mikebigg
April 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Dude some of you all really need to actually know what you're talking about before you speak. FAMU has never been a member of the SWAC.

I was wondering "WTF" as well... They were once in the SIAC but never in the SWAC (unless it was prior to the past 40 years of my life).

April 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
Interesting thread (now closed) at the MEACfans website:
http://community.meacfans.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/8601098022/p/1

2004/2005 EADA reports
* Reported exactly the same amounts

School, Revenues, Expenses
*Alabama A&M Football, $1,425,174, $1,425,174
Alabama State Football, $2,230,847, $1,596,454
Arkansas at Pine Bluff Football, $484,958, $1,082,489
Alcorn State Football, $873,189, $925,289
*Jackson State Football, $1,386,992, $1,386,992
Grambling State Football, $1,308,151, $1,479,461
Miss Valley State Football, $126,089, $432,427
*Prairie View A & M Football, $928,468, $928,468
Southern Football, $2,720,000, $1,357,840