PDA

View Full Version : Sept 16th - I-A Scrambling for I-AA Foe

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Louisiana Tech got dropped without knowing about it from having Ohio University coming to town this year on September 16th. Ohio instead opted for a game at Rutgers aka $$$$...

So, now La Tech is looking for a I-AA foe. Any out there? Or could this be a major problem for La Tech?

The article interestingly enough discusses the proposal for I-AAs to play 12 games, which may be the LaTech savior...

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/SPORTS/604180333/1006

nickderiso
April 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Article, by the way, is about the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, not Louisiana Tech.

(And thanks for the kind words the other day, TT.)

McNeese72
April 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Louisiana Tech got dropped without knowing about it from having Ohio University coming to town this year on September 16th. Ohio instead opted for a game at Rutgers aka $$$$...

So, now La Tech is looking for a I-AA foe. Any out there? Or could this be a major problem for La Tech?

The article interestingly enough discusses the proposal for I-AAs to play 12 games, which may be the LaTech savior...

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/SPORTS/604180333/1006

LA TECH????? Those Ragin' Cajuns fans are really going to love you if they see this. The Techsters probably won't be all that happy with you either. xlolx

McNeese has a Sept. 16th open date so don't be surprised if something isn't worked out if 12 games are approved. That is, if our football coach agrees with a 12 game season with no open date.

Doc

Cocky
April 18th, 2006, 08:29 AM
LA TECH????? Those Ragin' Cajuns fans are really going to love you if they see this. The Techsters probably won't be all that happy with you either. xlolx

McNeese has a Sept. 16th open date so don't be surprised if something isn't worked out if 12 games are approved. That is, if our football coach agrees with a 12 game season with no open date.

Doc

If they are in a bind, I would only sign up for a home and home.

buckp
April 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Would be nice for the Pokes to battle the Ragin' Cajuns again! I can see it now....

GO TO HELL ULL!!!! :D ;)

McNeese72
April 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM

They would go find another I-AA before they would agree to a home and home with us.

If they are in a bind (and are getting the buy-out money from Ohio U.), I'd expect them to pay us a big guarantee. At least $250K. That would be good for a 1 hr bus trip game. :)

Doc

McNeese72
April 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Would be nice for the Pokes to battle the Ragin' Cajuns again! I can see it now....

GO TO HELL ULL!!!! :D ;)

Would be a fun game. No matter what some of the Cajun fans say, it would grow into something like old times. At one time Playboy Magazine had ranked the McNeese-USL game in the Top Ten football rivalries in the country.

I had an old Go to Hell, USL shirt stuck away in a drawer. My oldest son, who just graduated from McNeese found it a couple of years ago. He has worn it doing yardwork and actually wore it the last time we played basketball here.

It's amazing how those shirts can shrink when you leave them in a dark drawer for years. ;)

Doc

ucdtim17
April 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM
ucd has been looking for a 9/16 I-A for a while now, not sure if it's still open

McNeese72
April 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM
ucd has been looking for a 9/16 I-A for a while now, not sure if it's still open

I don't know if it would be worth your while to travel that far for what little they have been known to want to pay I-AA teams.

Doc

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM
(And thanks for the kind words the other day, TT.)

Not a problem, Nick...

Always surfing the net for I-AA articles and now that I'm in Louisiana, definitely been stumbling upon yours more times than not.

Maybe one day we'll meet up if I ever get back in the press box or on media row. Really miss it, but Katrina took it away...but things work out for a reason!

ucdtim17
April 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know if it would be worth your while to travel that far for what little they have been known to want to pay I-AA teams.

Doc

yeah that's what I was thinking - that's a definite step down from TCU

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Who cares if it's a step down? If they're paying similar or even a little less money, wouldn't you want a win?

ULL has fallen to I-AAs in recent years. Granted TCU fell to Northwestern St awhile back, but ULL is a consistent loser to I-AAs. I don't see UCD having any problems there...

RabidRabbit
April 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Only one other Division I-A team in the country currently has a Sept. 16 open date, that being TCU - which went 10-1, won the Mountain West Conference and was ranked 14th in the AP's final regular-season poll. UL is already opening its season at LSU and Texas A&M on the Sept. 2 and 9 dates.

Cetnar said that UL will likely look toward bringing in a Division I-AA opponent to fill the late schedule gap. If that happens, UL will likely have a wide choice of potential foes.

Careful UCD Tim - This may unravel your TCU game if TCU / ULL get together.

Tod
April 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
The Griz have an opening on 16 Sep. Don't mean squat, but thought I'd just say it anyway. :D

RabidRabbit
April 18th, 2006, 08:18 PM
The Griz have an opening on 16 Sep. Don't mean squat, but thought I'd just say it anyway. :D

But also w/11-games scheduled Tod!!!! :nono: :nono:

Don't get UC-Davis's hopes up, they're about to surrender and play SUU again xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx (It's a joke Aggies, hope you get a good 11th game!!)

ucdtim17
April 18th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Who cares if it's a step down? If they're paying similar or even a little less money, wouldn't you want a win?

ULL has fallen to I-AAs in recent years. Granted TCU fell to Northwestern St awhile back, but ULL is a consistent loser to I-AAs. I don't see UCD having any problems there...

I think we're on the same page - ULL is a very winnable game, but it is a big step down in name recognition from TCU. Of course nothing is official yet so I'm still confident we'll end up with Southern Oregon Tech and Arts College

Tod
April 18th, 2006, 11:40 PM
But also w/11-games scheduled Tod!!!! :nono: :nono:

Don't get UC-Davis's hopes up, they're about to surrender and play SUU again xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx (It's a joke Aggies, hope you get a good 11th game!!)

Yeah, I know, but who knows what's going to happen on 4/27?

McNeese72
April 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM

I think we were referring to the amount of guarantee paid. ULL doesn't normally pay much for I-AA guarantees and probably not as much as TCU. I think ULL paid Northwestern St. somewhere around $150K last year. That would be a step down from what TCU pays. And with the price of charter flights up due to the cost of fuel, would it be economically feasible for someone as far away as UCD to want to play ULL for that much?

As far as Montana having an open date on the 16th if the 12 game motion passes, Montana would be a lot better off getting some Div II team at home for their normal home sellout, than they would ever would be making a trip to ULL.

Doc

McNeese72
April 19th, 2006, 10:08 PM
It's a done deal pending NCAA approval of 12 games for I-AA

McNeese Press Release:

McNeese State and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette have tentatively
agreed to play a football game on Sept. 16 of this year in Lafayette.
The game is pending approval of the NCAA 1-AA committee of a 12th
game for 1-AA schools. This vote is expected next week.
McNeese State athletic director Sonny Watkins and
Louisiana-Lafayette athletic director David Walker made the announcement
of the game.
Schools in division 1-A can play a 12th game beginning this season. The
Cajuns are members of the 1-A Sun Belt Conference while the Cowboys
belong to the 1-AA Southland Conference.
The game is on the open date for both schools and the kickoff time
has been set for 4 p.m.
McNeese State had already completed an 11 game schedule for 2006,
one that features six home games and five games on the road, two of
those against 1-A South Florida and Toledo.
The pending game between the Cowboys and the Cajuns will be their
first since the 1986 season.
The series between the two schools had been one of the biggest in
the state when both teams were in the Gulf States and then the
Southland Conference, annually drawing standing room only crowd.
Louisiana-Lafayette won that last meeting in 1986 by a 33-13 score but
the Cowboys hold a 19-15-2 lead in the series.
-30-

Go to Hell, USL.....uh....ULL....., Go to Hell!!

Doc

Ronbo
April 19th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I think we were referring to the amount of guarantee paid. ULL doesn't normally pay much for I-AA guarantees and probably not as much as TCU. I think ULL paid Northwestern St. somewhere around $150K last year. That would be a step down from what TCU pays. And with the price of charter flights up due to the cost of fuel, would it be economically feasible for someone as far away as UCD to want to play ULL for that much?

As far as Montana having an open date on the 16th if the 12 game motion passes, Montana would be a lot better off getting some Div II team at home for their normal home sellout, than they would ever would be making a trip to ULL.

Doc

No way Montana plays at a I-A for $150K unless it's a home and home.

McTailGator
April 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM

They would only play 11 before they did that.

BUT, It looks like they realized the errors of their ways in past negotiations with us and will give us the biggest guarantee they have ever paid out.

As many as 10,000 McNeese fans could be there for that game. Should be one hell of a tailgate party too.

McTailGator
April 21st, 2006, 07:23 AM

Doc

Hey DOC.

ULL paid NSU $95,000 in 2005.

Big payday for them, but less than what we make onour season ticket holders alone.

McNeese75
April 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Based on what is being posted on the ULL board they only paid Northwestern $95,000 last year and will only go $100,000 for McNeese this year.