PDA

View Full Version : Other than the Tennessee Vols

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
are there any other college programs in the state that play football?

I know there are some quality high school programs I have read about in the newspapers in Knoxville and Nashville but nothing about any real teams that play college ball other than the Vols.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crusader11
September 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
This a joke?

Off the top of my head:

Austin Peay
Memphis
Vanderbilt
Chattanooga
Middle Tennessee
Tennessee Martin
Tennessee Tech
Tennessee State

Silenoz
September 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Tennessee Tech

...and State

....... and Martin

Think that's all of them, unless someone like Murray State is in TN. No-one noteworthy of course. The SOCON used to have two programs in MTSU and ETSU.

dbackjon
September 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Alphie - lol

Vandy is 3-0, with a big win over Mississippi last weekend
Memphis sucks, but suits up
MTSU is in the SuckBelt

OVC has TTU, UT-M, TSU, APSU
Southern has Chatty

Eaglesrus
September 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM

I know there are some quality high school programs I have read about in the newspapers in Knoxville and Nashville but nothing about any real teams that play college ball other than the Vols.

I enjoy fishing, too.

dbackjon
Tennessee Tech

...and State

....... and Martin

Think that's all of them, unless someone like Murray State is in TN. No-one noteworthy of course. The SOCON used to have two programs in MTSU and ETSU.

MTSU was in the OVC.

Murray is in KY, about 10 miles north of the TN border.

Silenoz
Well I tried, but you guys had to ruin it

crusader11
September 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Memphis is weak this year, but they are usually a pretty solid team in CUSA.

Like Memphis, Vanderbilt isn't a football powerhouse, but it is still SEC football and they would beat most teams around the country.

Chattanooga, as you know well by know based on the pub they have been receiving on this board (mostly by their fans), is quite strong this year in the Southern Conference.

Middle Tennessee plays in the Sun Belt and are traditionally one of the better teams in that conference.

The rest of the teams play in the Ohio Valley and are usually in the middle of the pack. OVC posters would know much better about their caliber of play than I would though. Suffice to say, that's 8 teams in Tennessee that play football who happen to be every bit as "real" as high school football.

TheRevSFA
September 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Man you guys aren't getting his smack talk.

Nicely done Alpha...too bad these other guys didn't catch it.

http://www.mitzenmacher.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/DSCN4341.jpg

crusader11
September 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Haha, is this intended to be a dig at Chattanooga? I do my best to keep up with those threads / banter, but clearly this one went over my head.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I forgot about Vandy but I can't really think of any other ones off the top of my head other than the Tenn. Martin, TTU that are in our division. I remember when we were in Chatty there was some school there with an adequate stadium though. I think that was Tusculum or something like that.

TheRevSFA
September 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I thought everyone in AGS was supposed to list their location in terms of hours and directions away from the Mecca?

I think it says so in TOS

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Haha, is this intended to be a dig at Chattanooga? I do my best to keep up with those threads / banter, but clearly this one went over my head.

http://wildomarmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/missed_it_by_that_much.jpg

Side Judge
September 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Moved this to Smack - oh wait, nevermind...

StorminASU
September 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM
4 hours and 51 minutes away from all that is college football; where storied programs like Alabama, Notre Dame and others come to pay their respect and bask in what they could have been; where legends of the game ask for their ashes to be spread so that they might rest in peace. I feel so honored to know that if I look to the Western sky, I might catch a glance, a mere fleeting glimpse, of the epitome of man that Chattanooga, TN encompasses.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the information guys........its nice to learn that there are a few other schools in the state that Al Gore is from. So what that the rest of the country really doesnt give a squirt of piss about Tennessee as long as the whiskey keeps flowing out to distributors.

It might as well be Maine for christ sake. xcoffeex

StorminASU
September 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the information guys........its nice to learn that there are a few other schools in the state that Al Gore is from. So what that the rest of the country really doesnt give a squirt of piss about Tennessee as long as the whiskey keeps flowing out to distributors.

It might as well be Maine for christ sake. xcoffeex

We have a state called Maine...sounds pretty gay.

superman7515
September 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Juuuuust a little outside...
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/bobuecker.jpg

Speaking of which...

"Hello. Do you know us?"

http://www.utc.edu/Administration/UniversityRelations/Chattanooga_Today/200709/art/newlook.jpg

"We're an FCS Football team. But since we haven't won a pennant in almost 30 years, nobody recognizes us - not even in our own hometown. That's why we carry the American Express card. No matter how far out of first we are, it's cool. You know, it keeps us from getting shut out at our favorite hotels and restaurant-type places."

Mountaineer#96
September 20th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Chattanooga, as you know well by know based on the pub they have been receiving on this board (mostly by their fans), is quite strong this year in the Southern Conference.

Wait, wait, wait.....................IS QUITE STRONG THIS YEAR IN THE SOCON!?!? xchinscratchxxchinscratchx

They haven't even played a SOCON game yet. Nevermind what some of the Chatty fans might say.....they already have the SOCON title knocked out on paper. Sort of like Elon did a few years back.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Wait, is SoCon short for Soccer Conference?

If so, that and the fact Tennessee is involved would explain why nobody has ever heard of this.

StorminASU
September 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM

If so, that and the fact Tennessee is involved would explain why nobody has ever heard of this.

I think App is in this conference, but I've never heard of a team from Tennessee playing us. Maybe a writer got confused or something.

WestCoastAggie
September 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Wait, wait, wait.....................IS QUITE STRONG THIS YEAR IN THE SOCON!?!? xchinscratchxxchinscratchx

They haven't even played a SOCON game yet. Nevermind what some of the Chatty fans might say.....they already have the SOCON title knocked out on paper. Sort of like Elon did a few years back.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/7dk2royg2i9cxsjus28.jpg

WestCoastAggie
September 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
So there is only one football team (App St) in the conference and the rest are soccer playing schools? You guys down south sure make things goofy and stuff.

StorminASU
September 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
ELON PIC

I'll never get tired of this, haha.

StorminASU
September 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM
So there is only one football team (App St) in the conference and the rest are soccer playing schools? You guys down south sure make things goofy and stuff.

There's two football teams, ASU and GSU. The rest in the conference are either Women's basketball or competitive basket weaving.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I thought Elon was the guy that co-founded PayPal..............didnt know he had his own college.

This thread has given all of us WAY more than we could have expected. Well done!

TTUEagles
September 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
There's TENNESSEE TECH dammit xlolx...where, well, pretty much nothing happens of note. The whiskey in TN sucks, too, imo.

superman7515
September 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM

It's European Football, but they get confused and keep ending up on here instead. They thought this was where you talked about Fox Soccer Channel, not FCS.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
It's European Football, but they get confused and keep ending up on here instead. They thought this was where you talked about Fox Soccer Channel, not FCS.

Well it is easy to confuse FSC and FCS......now this is all starting to make sense.

StorminASU
September 20th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Well it is easy to confuse FSC and FCS......now this is all starting to make sense.

I hear from Chattownmocs it's also easy to accidentally pick up a blouse from the women's section of JC Penney and wear it to work before you figure out your mistake. Live and learn I guess.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I hear from Chattownmocs it's also easy to accidentally pick up a blouse from the women's section of JC Penney and wear it to work before you figure out your mistake. Live and learn I guess.

That depends on the women in that section usually. Some of those chicks can be pretty uptight about trading clothes and a word to the wise here...you should always ask before you just start taking clothes off them.

Glood lord they make a commotion if you don't ask.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM

That is sooo less gay sounding when his screen name is used in the story.........seriously.....I am not kidding around.

StorminASU
September 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
That depends on the women in that section usually. Some of those chicks can be pretty uptight about trading clothes and a word to the wise here...you should always ask before you just start taking clothes off them.

Glood lord they make a commotion if you don't ask.

Hahahaha. Very nice

App-a-latch-un
September 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Have you seen the women in Tennessee? They are as wide as they are tall, easy mistake to make.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 20th, 2011, 02:43 PM
It's not exactly in TN, but there's a town in the "gray area" of Ga's northern border where they built a stadium for Ga Southern and App St to host FCS Championship games and some local high schools and the local college play games there during the regular season. Sadly, Frisco, TX out bid them recently so unless you need to buy some drugs, pick up a "date", or admire urban decay, there's nothing to see.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM
It's not exactly in TN, but there's a town in the "gray area" of Ga's northern border where they built a stadium for Ga Southern and App St to host FCS Championship games and some local high schools and the local college play games there during the regular season. Sadly, Frisco, TX out bid them recently so unless you need to buy some drugs, pick up a "date", or admire urban decay, there's nothing to see.
That's the one I was thinking of! It's too bad they didn't have an FCS presence there other than hosting that game cuz I always had fun there.

Skjellyfetti
September 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I know there are some quality high school programs

Didn't read the whole thread so, it might already be covered... but, Tennessee's high school football is relatively poor. There are some good programs like Alcoa and some in the Memphis area... but, compared to the Louisiana's, Georgia's, Alabama's, South Carolina's, Florida's, etc. in the SEC Tennessee is at a distinct disadvantage because their high school teams aren't nearly as good as their competitor's. They have to recruit nationally to make up the difference.

TTUEagles
September 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Have you seen the women in Tennessee? They are as wide as they are tall, easy mistake to make.

Come on now...don't lump the rest of the state and it's schools and it's women and its other attributes in with another poster frequenting these threads that is p*ssing everyone off...
I've been to a lot of these states that other posters are from - don't make me go citdog on you...

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2011, 03:31 PM

You're obviously not a very good fisherman...you caught a lot of little one's, but the big one got away. Chattownmocs drives me crazy, but I give him credit...he throws out a lot of bait, but never bites on it himself. I guess it makes him a "master baiter"

longtimemocfan
September 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Easy now, I've been posting on behalf of Chattanooga since 2007. I've endured all the ridicule from those years, but continued to post. So I'm not a bandwagon fan. I also haven't proclaimed us SoCon champs either. Until you prove it on the field, you can't boast.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 03:43 PM
B.J. Coleman is so over-rated it makes my head spin. Is he even better than DeAndre Presley? Doubtful. Let's see what he does in conference this year and compare all his performances against Ameet Pall, Brent Russell, and Ryan Steed.

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Easy now, I've been posting on behalf of Chattanooga since 2007. I've endured all the ridicule from those years, but continued to post. So I'm not a bandwagon fan. I also haven't proclaimed us SoCon champs either. Until you prove it on the field, you can't boast.

+1 and rep given.

(I have been on this board for almost a decade and for a long time, I was the only one)

longtimemocfan
September 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM
+1 and rep given.

(I have been on this board for almost a decade and for a long time, I was the only one)

I think when I joined it was just you and one other *LOL*

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM
There are some good programs like Alcoa and some in the Memphis area

I am familiar with some of the programs in the Memphis area. My high school alma mater beat one of them for a thing called the Tennessee State Championship last year. The team we beat did not take it all that well so the TSSAA banned them from the playoffs this year (maybe next). We also have Alcoa this season and next, which should be very interesting.

Mountaineer#96
September 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM

That is why I said some......you guys that have been around a lot understand how to have a intelligent football convo.

chattanoogamocs
September 21st, 2011, 04:42 AM
Juuuuust a little outside...
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/bobuecker.jpg

Speaking of which...

"Hello. Do you know us?"

http://www.utc.edu/Administration/UniversityRelations/Chattanooga_Today/200709/art/newlook.jpg

"We're an FCS Football team. But since we haven't won a pennant in almost 30 years, nobody recognizes us - not even in our own hometown. That's why we carry the American Express card. No matter how far out of first we are, it's cool. You know, it keeps us from getting shut out at our favorite hotels and restaurant-type places."

American Express...don't steal home without it.

I love the analogy here...because in the film, the Indians make it the playoffs (after beating the defending champs). Sounds good to me.

Milktruck74
September 21st, 2011, 07:04 AM

Hmmmm????

polsongrizz
September 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
"Hello. Do you know us?"

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

App-a-latch-un
September 21st, 2011, 05:33 PM

Hmmmm????

So at best 9 girls made it through your school systems, and into college without no baby (assuming they are in state)....I mean I'd hit it, but I'd only be proud of maybe 3 of em.

I wasn't talkin smack, it's just science-->http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100630/NEWS01/6300348/Tennessee-second-fattest-state-annual-obesity-report

chattanoogamocs
September 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
So at best 9 girls made it through your school systems, and into college without no baby (assuming they are in state)....I mean I'd hit it, but I'd only be proud of maybe 3 of em.

I wasn't talkin smack, it's just science-->http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100630/NEWS01/6300348/Tennessee-second-fattest-state-annual-obesity-report

Hey Carolina you ain't no prize either...y'all aren't far behind and climbing the scale (literally)...in 3 years, the state has gone from 16th to 10th...congrats!

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7530284

TTUEagles
September 21st, 2011, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't brag too much, North Carolina isn't that far behind with their big behinds...
http://www.examiner.com/obesity-in-charlotte/america-s-health-rankings-nc-remains-top-10-for-obesity

older article, though

chattanoogamocs
September 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't brag too much, North Carolina isn't that far behind with their big behinds...
http://www.examiner.com/obesity-in-charlotte/america-s-health-rankings-nc-remains-top-10-for-obesity

older article, though

too slow. you must have obese fingers. :)

App-a-latch-un
September 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Don't worry we won't catch up with you, you'll be number one soon enough, just not in football.

phan
September 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM
You are mistaken...I believe it was ebay not paypal.

I thought Elon was the guy that co-founded PayPal..............didnt know he had his own college.

This thread has given all of us WAY more than we could have expected. Well done!