PDA

View Full Version : Liberty @ Lehigh

Sly Fox
September 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I'd love to hear from some Lehigh fans about this week's matchup. We're busy grumbling about our effort vs. JMU and just about everything else over on the Liberty board (http://flamefans.com).

What is the Mountain hawks perspective?

crusader11
September 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
This is going to be a great, great game. I'm thankful Holy Cross has this week off so I can watch this one.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Shhhhh.... The Lehigh folks just got their Big Ten invite along with Lafayette and Rutgers. The Big Ten wants to resurrect the "Middle Three". : )

Seriously, based on what I saw in Princeton Saturday night, LU has a fine club. I think LU will have a very competitive matchup with the Flames.

LUHawker
September 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Shhhhh.... The Lehigh folks just got their Big Ten invite along with Lafayette and Rutgers. The Big Ten wants to resurrect the "Middle Three". : )

Seriously, based on what I saw in Princeton Saturday night, LU has a fine club. I think LU will have a very competitive matchup with the Flames.

Let's just clear up one thing here for everyone. If we are going to be using initials for this game, LU, then I think seniority has to reign and that has to mean Lehigh University. xsmiley_wix

ToTheLeft
September 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think using LU should just be avoided outright this week. Flames and Hawks, Liberty and Lehigh, Falwells and Packers

Bogus Megapardus
September 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I think using LU should just be avoided outright this week. Flames and Hawks, Liberty and Lehigh, Falwells and Packers
The denizens of South Mountain have earned a variety of appellations over the years, many of which are NSFW. The current edition of the comprehensive compendium is under revision and will be available for release during the last week of the season.

Best of luck to both sides in this game and remember, when visiting Bethlehem, be sure to get your shots beforehand, and don't drink the water.

The Big Ten wants to resurrect the "Middle Three".
Not until we figure out what happened to "The Little Brass Cannon." As a reminder, it was last seen at Lehigh in 1977, which was generally regarded as the final "Middle Three" game. Then came the Patriot League (much to Sader87's regret).

LUHawker
September 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
This game is big for both teams as it would be a statement game for each. Lehigh fell to UNH in OT (with the help of a HORRIFIC call) while the Flames lost a heartbreaker to powerhouse JMU. This suggests both teams are very closely matched. I expect a lot of offense, but think the LU's from Pennsylvania will come out on top. Also not to be overlooked is how Liberty responds after such a tough loss. Lehigh came out a little flat against Princeton (some kudos to PU for that) but found its stride and took care of a game Princeton squad. Liberty won't have the benefit of playing a team in its opener, so if Lehigh jumps out quickly, it could extinguish the Flames.

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM
How is Liberty's passing attack and QB play?

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
How is Liberty's passing attack and QB play?

Very good. Summers, the reciever who killed us two years ago at Fisher, is now a senior and a stud. They have a dual threat QB who I believe also played a lot against us in 09.

Lehigh will have their hands full.

Ivytalk
September 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'll go with Lehigh, 30-27. At least one of Liberty's TDs will come on a special teams play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Liberty has reinstated their enormous NT Asa Chapman for the game. Thankfully, I can't see him having much of an impact on Saturday given his conditioning.

RichH2
September 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Key willbe containing Flames qb. We have never been very good at controlling broken play runs by qb. Liberty D good but nothing that will stop Lum &CO. Unfortunately for my peace of mind I expect a great game. Front 7 did OK last week even w/o Greene and Knapp. JMU A VERY TOUGH DEFENSIVE TEAM W/O MUCH o AND fLAMES PLAYED THEM CLOSE

RichH2
September 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Per our invitation, went to Liberty board. Pretty normal for pregame but I was surprised to see comments that they seem to consider Lehigh less of a concern because were "pasty white" . I think they are in for a surprise. Perhaps a look at our roster may enlighten them . There are plenty of pictures for Flames to look at. So many stereotypes in some of their posts it is truly laughable. Lehigh's best players are white therefore not athletic. Wow!

jcmanson
September 20th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Per our invitation, went to Liberty board. Pretty normal for pregame but I was surprised to see comments that they seem to consider Lehigh less of a concern because were "pasty white" . I think they are in for a surprise. Perhaps a look at our roster may enlighten them . There are plenty of pictures for Flames to look at. So many stereotypes in some of their posts it is truly laughable. Lehigh's best players are white therefore not athletic. Wow!

When I first read what they wrote, I knew this would be taken the wrong way. They were being sarcastic. They were saying that's what ESPN's announcers would say if they looked at Lehigh's top players.

Look at the score prediction thread, none of us thinks this will be a walkover.

ngineer
September 20th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Lehigh has done better in recent years with mobile QB's. UNI's Tirrelle was held pretty much in check, and Princeton's QB made some noise, but nothing huge. The Princeton QB was probably a good warm up for Liberty's, though from everything I hear, he may be one of the best in the country. I'm thinking Coach K will come up 'with a plan' to control Liberty's offense. They'll certainly score some, but I think we have better overall balance. Of course, the ol' fly in the ointment could be our reliably unreliable special teams. Ryan better get their attention this week.

danefan
September 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM
If Lehigh can win this one, I'd happily consider them a top 10-15 team.

I don't think Lehigh will be able to stop Liberty's QB though.

RichH2
September 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM
When I first read what they wrote, I knew this would be taken the wrong way. They were being sarcastic. They were saying that's what ESPN's announcers would say if they looked at Lehigh's top players.

Look at the score prediction thread, none of us thinks this will be a walkover.
Reread posts , I dont see the sarcasm you mention but you know your posters better than I ,so must give them the benefit of the doubt.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I don't think Lehigh will be able to stop Liberty's QB though.

I agree - they won't stop him. But I still think Lehigh can outscore Liberty if the line protects QB Chris Lum against Liberty DT Asa Chapman and his pals.

This is going to be a high scoring game. The winner will be the team last in possession, IMHO.

RichH2
September 20th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Situational morality at its best here. Cant drink on campus but charges of felonydrug possesion OK , gotta get that NG back on the field this week.we are Liberty's last ranked opponent. Their AD really wants playoffs. The hypocrisy is disturbing to say the least.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Everyone has high praise for Liberty QB Mike Brown. I think the Flames can probably compete with anybody in the FCS. I just don't see them advancing to Frisco. I expect more of the same (Big Sky vs. CAA) or maybe (MVFC vs. SOCON).

carney2
September 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I'd love to hear from some Lehigh fans about this week's matchup.

Lehigh SUX!

Any of the following are appropriate: Flames vs.

ChickenSquawks
Featherheads
Brown Fowl
Safety School

Well, you get the idea. At some point during the game it is obligatory that the visitors rise en masse and as one voice chant

IF IT'S BROWN FLUSH IT DOWN.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Chris Lum will throw another 5 touchdowns to Ryan Spadola. Why is he so good? RS i mean

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Any of the following are appropriate: Flames vs.

ChickenSquawks
Featherheads
Brown Fowl
Safety School

You might also wish to consider:

Asa Packers (remember to pronounce with a flat "a" as in "ask")
Fountain Pigeons
Lavatorial Engineers
Frosted Brownies
Drinker Twinkies
Saucon Swine (females only)

Each of the above may be reduced to a pair of initials for brevity and to avoid confusion with "LU"; Lehigh fans are accustomed to these descriptive monikers and know well their meaning.

When arriving at the parking areas adjacent to Goodman Stadium, be certain to watch out for grazing coeds. There are signs posted to this effect, but it's always best to exercise caution.

EDIT - one more thing: The proper form of address for a Lehigh graduate is "Hey you" or the somewhat more regionally colloquial, "Yo nitwit," especially when he's the one that cuts your lawn or clears your table. Please bear this in mind to avoid social embarrassment.

crusader11
September 20th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Situational morality at its best here. Cant drink on campus but charges of felonydrug possesion OK , gotta get that NG back on the field this week.we are Liberty's last ranked opponent. Their AD really wants playoffs. The hypocrisy is disturbing to say the least.

Agreed. Things like this make you go "Hmmmm......?"

crusader11
September 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Taken from the Liberty message board:

"One of my best friends was almost kicked out of Liberty for a semester for having a beer at a Super Bowl party. He was of age, was not drunk, and did nothing illegal and they fined him close to $500, gave him 48 reps, made him perform over 30 hours of community service, and forced him to move on campus.

Asa is charged with a felony that, according to the letter of the law, can't even be brought against him unless there is cocaine present, and we're going to not only let him stay in school but also pay for his school and allow him to play football?"

I am eager to learn how this entire story unravels. It is definitely an unfortunate distraction to an otherwise intriguing and great football game.

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I wonder what Dick Biddle would think...

carney2
September 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I wonder what Dick Biddle would think...

Biddle: "Fry him! It's not like it's breaking and entering with the intent to steal, and into a female residence while one of the females is there - you know something minor, an undergraduate prank. This smoking pot or whatever, on the other hand, is serious stuff."

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2011, 04:23 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/breaking-liberty-dt-asa-chapman.html

The timing is awfully fortuitous for the Flames.

And something I could have mentioned, but didn't: a win vs. Lehigh would allow one conference loss and still give the Flames at an 8-3 record (with 7 D-I wins) and a strong postseason resume. Lose against Lehigh, and they'll have to win the Big South championship in order to make the postseason.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/breaking-liberty-dt-asa-chapman.html

The timing is awfully fortuitous for the Flames.

And something I could have mentioned, but didn't: a win vs. Lehigh would allow one conference loss and still give the Flames at an 8-3 record (with 7 D-I wins) and a strong postseason resume. Lose against Lehigh, and they'll have to win the Big South championship in order to make the postseason.

Very well presented, LFN. Will Chapman be tested before/after the game? How does that work? Does Lehigh intend to protest Chapman's participation in some fashion?

I posted in the Lafayette Board that this is a very important game for the Flames, for the reasons you state. It's interesting that Liberty seems to be making it a first-priority institutional goal to participate in the FCS playoffs. Compare that to Lafayette's stated policy of "providing student-athletes with an opportunity to compete for a league title in their sport at least once during their four years" at the college. I'm not disparaging either approach; it's just that they're so different.

I've heard that Liberty students get "participation points" of some sort for attending football games. Is this correct? If so, how does it work?

RichH2
September 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
regardless of what kind of shape he is in will be a daunting task for OL to move him. Would not expect to many runs up the gut ( pun intended):D

bjtheflamesfan
September 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
No participation points here Bogus...I know that some years ago they had booklets that would be stamped for each home game but now its just about showing up, being loud and making life miserable for visiting teams

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-on-liberty-ng-asa-chapman-part-two.html

It's a developing story, and Chris Lang of the Lynchburg News-Advance has some more on the issue. I talk about some of the revelations, and add some useful (I hope) background and opinion as well.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 05:22 PM
No participation points here Bogus...I know that some years ago they had booklets that would be stamped for each home game but now its just about showing up, being loud and making life miserable for visiting teams

You'll discover that Goodman Stadium is of a similar size to Williams Stadium at Liberty. Many Patriot League fan are decidedly of the "golf clap" variety, however. You'll see somewhat fewer students in attendance (because there simply aren't that many) and more alumni and just plain old folks who live in the area.

Life for the opposing team/fans is made miserable only when Lafayette and Lehigh get together for the final game. Then it looks like this (from last year's pre-game at Lafayette):

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3743/lehighlafayette5.jpg

heath
September 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Coach Rocco has just embarrassed the whole state of VA and the Big South because Chapman has had issues since high school and Rocco thought maybe now he might see the light.Rocco just ruined any chance the young man had of learning from his mistakes in the past. A huge black eye on the Flames community. His comments on the subject are just ridiculousxconfusedx No integrity what so ever-GO LEHIGH

South Carolina Duke
September 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Coach Rocco has just embarrassed the whole state of VA and the Big South because Chapman has had issues since high school and Rocco thought maybe now he might see the light.Rocco just ruined any chance the young man had of learning from his mistakes in the past. A huge black eye on the Flames community. His comments on the subject are just ridiculousxconfusedx No integrity what so ever-GO LEHIGH

This is not an indictment of the Commonwealth of Virginia, only an indictment for a small school located in Lynchburg, Va that has a chip on their shoulder.

Let's put this into context here. Even Frank Beamer and VPI would not reinstate a student-athlete while felony Drug charges are pending!!

I agree it is a black eye for Liberty and the rest of Jerry Falwell U, no doubt about it. But please don't kid yourself, your Chancellor Falwell has given your AD and head coach Rocco the approval for this reinstatement of Chapman. Too bad that ya'll are setting yourselves up for well deserved criticism.....

Anything to win and make it to the playoffs. With two losses to two programs that they should have lost to, Rocco is scared and knows that with another loss to Lehigh this saturday, and a slip up later down the road, his "Dream Team" is watching the playoffs via tv.

Glad my school's admin and coach do the right thing.

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Whoa, felony? Details, please.

RichH2
September 21st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Whoa, felony? Details, please.

I hope you're being sarcastic, if not just go back a bit and check out the links and the discussion on the Liberty board. Give them their due most are distressed over the move.

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
yeah, sorry i've been following the realignment stuff and missed all that. thanks, rich

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Cocaine charges...F***. Somebody's not winning the AFCA good hands trophy. Thanks for the link, guys. This is really interesting stuff, which sadly highlights the importance of winning in football when you see university rules being voluntarily broken/exceptioned.

RichH2
September 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
A pleasure, I'm not to happy with the $$$ frenzy in FBS but at least Pac12 said no more. The Liberty siuation just sad . Dont know the kid , may be he deserves a break but why taint him and the University by so blatantly ignoring their own standards. Certainly not for his benefit. Then whose? Rocco and AD.

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 11:23 AM
This is going to follow them all year, too. Every time he makes a big play for Liberty, people will be flaming on him. #Totallyagree

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-on-liberty-ng-asa-chapman-part-two.html

It's a developing story, and Chris Lang of the Lynchburg News-Advance has some more on the issue. I talk about some of the revelations, and add some useful (I hope) background and opinion as well.

I wanted to highlight one part of my piece on this:

Unusual for most schools, Liberty takes an extremely hard line against drugs. And it's not even solely in regards to using them. Mere involvement with drugs and alcohol can be grounds for expulsion.

Not only that, though, while Mr. Chapman is presumed to be innocent in a court of law, it would seem that Liberty could potentially have one or more of Liberty-administered random drug tests available from him available at their disposal. Additionally, according to their substance abuse policy, if he refused the test, he'd be expelled.

It also opens up more questions: Are all students subject to random drug testing? Are football players and other athletes included in the drug testing?

I want to emphasize that I'm not a lawyer. However, it's possible that Liberty University has, in its possession, drug test information about this player in house. Whether negative or positive.

What does this mean for Liberty, the kid in question, and the court case? What does it mean to Liberty if they reinstated the athlete, and it comes out that he failed a drug test at Liberty and this comes out at the trial? What if he passed multiple drug tests? What if none of the members of the football team were subject to random drug tests, like the rest of the school is?

Maybe no other institution of learning in America might have this type of issue - but Liberty now might, thanks to its hard line against drug and alcohol use.

RichH2
September 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Speculating about the kid's guilt or innocence in this matter unfairly premature but caused in a large measure by Liberty's actions. Circumstances of possesion charges certainly will go towards the level of his participation in the criminal activity but these are possession charges. Does Liberty grade out its punishments based on the amount of the drug or as it seems it prohibits the use of drugs totally. As Alvin noted above the hypocrisy is compounded by the timing. Fairly or unfairly no credible explanation has been offered for the ending of the suspension or the timing. If I read Rocco's comments correctly 3 weeks of no football was adequate to teach this young man the error of having cocaine and MJ in his possession. REALLY???

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM
Video Preview

http://www.lehighsports.com/videos/football-preview-1516-lehigh-vs-liberty.aspx

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
You guys are aware that three Lafayette kids were caught doing something during hurricane blackout and were suspended by Coach Tavani. I have been straddling the fence on that issue of late. It's probably because, quite frankly, we need those guys.

Taking a stop back and looking at the issue involving the Liberty player, I have to say that I will always think less of Liberty as an institution for suddenly reactivating Mr. Chapman in time for him to practice for, and participate in, a game that has to be considered a "must win" in order to secure Liberty's first-ever playoff birth.

I wouldn't want anyone else to think of my college in those terms. Maybe it would be different if the institution had announce a "four game suspension" to begin with. Then the issue of justice could be hashed out beforehand. But I really don't like the feel of this whole thing.

van
September 21st, 2011, 08:01 PM
OK, enough whining about Asa Chapman. Still only 11 on a side. Time to strap em on and get after it.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
OK, enough whining about Asa Chapman. Still only 11 on a side. Time to strap em on and get after it.

I hear the kid isn't even going to start. Lehigh can win this game.

IaaScribe
September 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM
a game that has to be considered a "must win" in order to secure Liberty's first-ever playoff birth.

I disagree with this. I'd even argue that this game has been rendered meaningless in that regard for Liberty by the loss to James Madison. Liberty won't make the playoffs without winning the Big South. Even if the Flames win Saturday and they stumble in conference, the best they could finish is 8-3. (7-3 really with a non-DI win thrown in). 8-3 hasn't gotten them in before. It won't get them in this time.

Southsider
September 22nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Looks like a wet track for Saturday. Who does that favor? I say the home team. Thoughts?

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Looks like a wet track for Saturday. Who does that favor? I say the home team. Thoughts?

Lehigh's field has pretty good drainage so it doesn't get as muddy as one might expect. The parking areas, though, are a different story. Cold, wet, windy northeastern conditions on natural grass definitely favor Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think it's suppose to be an all day steady rain so conditions shouldn't be too bad. It's going to kill the crowd though.

Southsider
September 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
I don't think it's suppose to be an all day steady rain so conditions shouldn't be too bad. It's going to kill the crowd though.

You are right about the crowd. I expected a much better showing against UNH. But, mention a shower and the folks tend to sit in front of the tube. As for the field, after a week of heavy rain it was not an issue a few weeks ago. As you say, hopefully not a total washout!

aceinthehole
September 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
I disagree with this. I'd even argue that this game has been rendered meaningless in that regard for Liberty by the loss to James Madison. Liberty won't make the playoffs without winning the Big South. Even if the Flames win Saturday and they stumble in conference, the best they could finish is 8-3. (7-3 really with a non-DI win thrown in). 8-3 hasn't gotten them in before. It won't get them in this time.

Agreed. This is a good test for both teams, but it has very little impact on at-large bid for either team.

IaaScribe
September 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
I could see Lehigh at 9-2 with a win over Liberty and a split PL title getting a look. So in that regard, Lehigh's only shot at an at-large is to win this game. Should be fun.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
I could see Lehigh at 9-2 with a win over Liberty and a split PL title getting a look. So in that regard, Lehigh's only shot at an at-large is to win this game. Should be fun.

A 9-2 Lehigh team with a league loss would be a lock imo. That's why this game is so important imo.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
LFN Game preview:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/game-preview-week-four-liberty-at.html

It's going to be a fun battle - pitting Payton Award candidates against each other. Yeah, I said it.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I was under the impression that rainy conditions typically hurt the team that depends more on the pass than the run....

PL teams seem to pass fairly well in the rain. HC, Lafayette and Lehigh contests that I can recall over the last two seasons will bear this out. It's the tailback's footing on wet grass that tends to become an issue if you're not accustomed to it.

Then of course, you might get this (as the Pards will recall from a few years back vs Columbia)

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6659/columbaimud2.jpg

Sly Fox
September 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Despite all of the turmoil in Lynchburg, it is interesting to see many in this thread not taking the Liberty threat that seriously. Lafayette fans should be able to attest to the caliber of athletes the Flames possess. While I believe beating Lehigh on the road is a a tall order (even without the reinstatement drama), frankly I believe this a very winnable game for the Flames.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Despite all of the turmoil in Lynchburg, it is interesting to see many in this thread not taking the Liberty threat that seriously. Lafayette fans should be able to attest to the caliber of athletes the Flames possess. While I believe beating Lehigh on the road is a a tall order (even without the reinstatement drama), frankly I believe this a very winnable game for the Flames.

Sure it's winnable for the Flames. But you will find that Lehigh is as formidable - possibly more so - than was Lafayette when we split our series with Liberty (and ruined your winning streak). You really ought not let the non-scholarship, propellerheaded, "pasty white" image that some have of Lehigh fool you. They're as fast and athletic and skilled and their record and their national ranking would suggest.

Regardless of the weather conditions, I think it's going to be a very high-scoring game. I still maintain that the team last in possession of the ball will win this one.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM

While we are all rooting for Lehigh, no one thinks that Flames cant win. Our excitement is that we have a chance to win, not that we are alock to do so

van
September 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM

Not sure who is not taking Liberty serious. In fact, no PL fan should ever take a scholarship team lightly. I believe Lehigh should win, but expect the game to be very close. One big play, big mistake could definitely swing the other way.

Southsider
September 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM

Ya know, it always amazes me how those on this board view our matchups, chances at victory, etc. Bottom line, at this level we really don't know much about the other guys. But that is the beauty of it all. Don't take it too seriously, line up on Saturday, have a few cold ones (can the Liberty fans partake?), and see what happens!xbeerchugx

bjtheflamesfan
September 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'll knock back a few Pepsis for this game

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'll take a tomato pie and a couple of oat sodas, if someone's buying.

van
September 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
I'll take a tomato pie and a couple of oat sodas, if someone's buying.

Boogie, Come by the King of Tailgates and I'll be buying.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Would the late Dr. Falwell have let this young man continue to play? He was involved in all aspects of Liberty U. and somehow I think he would have declared him ineligible. Just my opinion.

ngineer
September 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
As long as the rain is not torrential, it should not impact a good passsing game. A wet turf can give some advantage to the receiver who knows where he's going. The DB as to react and could lose a step on a cut. The ball actually gets a little 'tacky' when wet (I don't mean soaked). For the OL it could be an issue run blocking against some large loads if footing is an issue, but the new Goodman turf does drain very well and should be okay if we avoid a deluge.
I am not aware of anyone taking Liberty lightly. Their offensive skill is clear and capable of putting up a lot of points. One of two key mistakes can easily change the outcome and our 'buggaboo', special teams is always lurking. I favor us, but by one score (either TD or FG).

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
The weather forecast for tomorrow has gone downhill a bit. Instead of afternoon sun with a chance of a thunderstorm they're now calling for steady showers most of the day.

I really like Lehigh's ability to grind out a win if it comes to that. With that said, as long as it's not torrential passing teams usually still have success.

Is Barket going to be a GTD?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM

That's my somewhat limited understanding.

carney2
September 23rd, 2011, 02:40 PM

GTD?

This is as bad as a Holy Cross basketball post - all initials and monogram codes. Supply a dictionary or speak English.

jcmanson
September 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Game Time Decision

carney2
September 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Game Time Decision

WTF! CSE? GAGOI.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Is Liberty bringing a forklift along to roll Chapman out onto the field? But with the wet conditions, the tires may sink...

RichH2
September 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Just checked weather again , showers possible but it s/b clearing by early afternoon. If we dont shoot ourselves in the foot s/b a great game. Must remember shoot them in the foot .

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Is Liberty bringing a forklift along to roll Chapman out onto the field? But with the wet conditions, the tires may sink...

Not just any forklift. His is tricked out with low profile spinning rims, neon ground lights, Harmon/Kardon sound, nitrous injection and a diamond plate spoiler. Chrome everywhere, of course - Asa rides in style.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8231/forkliftsm.jpg

Southsider
September 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Just checked weather again , showers possible but it s/b clearing by early afternoon. If we dont shoot ourselves in the foot s/b a great game. Must remember shoot them in the foot .

Hope u r right, Rich. l live 1/2 mile from Goodman. Raining cats & dogs as of 8:30 p.m. Fri night, and calling for more of the same Sat. A real mudder in store!! That said, I'll take the HOME TEAM!!

ngineer
September 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Damn shame with the forecast. My Mom and Dad were planning on coming, but not the type of day for 84 year olds to be sitting in. At least they'll get to watch on TV. Will probably be lucky to have 5,000 in stands even if it doesn't rain due to the "threat" of serious storms.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 12:56 AM
According to a post on the LFN's blog Barket practiced this week. This is really good news if true.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 06:12 AM
It looks less like a downpour are more like lightning will be the potential problem this afternoon. The NCAA apparently has alerted all the schools up and down the east coast. They'll play in the rain but not with lightning. IIRC, the rule is suspension of the game if there's lightning within 5-6 miles, not to resume until 30 minutes after it stops.

van
September 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM
It looks less like a downpour are more like lightning will be the potential problem this afternoon. The NCAA apparently has alerted all the schools up and down the east coast. They'll play in the rain but not with lightning. IIRC, the rule is suspension of the game if there's lightning within 5-6 miles, not to resume until 30 minutes after it stops.

Forecast is greatly improved overnight. Come on out, should be a great game!

ngineer
September 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Yes, just checked radar, and it looks like the most moisture will be on the field from last night and not in the sky...though it will be humid and temps in mid '70's, so cramping could be an issue for those not properly hydrated. Word is Barket is expected to start. Of course, Sherman will still make his appearances. Plus LB Greene expected back in lineup as well as Boyko. Again, key will be special teams.

crusader11
September 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Haven't been this excited for a non-HC game in some time. This is a real statement game for Lehigh. Even though a 2-1 record is nice, wins over Monmouth and Princeton will not impress many...moving to 3-1 with a W over Liberty will garner people's attention. Lehigh defense really has to come to play today, as do the special teamers.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I havent used ESPN3 in a while and can't get it to work. When I click on my service provider, I can't continue. Anyone know how to get logged in?

crusader11
September 24th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Lehigh defense bending but not breaking. Flames have dominated the TOP so far.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I havent used ESPN3 in a while and can't get it to work. When I click on my service provider, I can't continue. Anyone know how to get logged in?

Take off your pop-up blockers and disable Adblock Plus, if you use it. It WILL NOT work with Adblock Plus. Then clear your browser cache. ESPN3 is very sensitive to any anti-malware software because it's one huge piece of malware itself.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 12:22 PM
OK, onside kick then Lum throws 55 yd TD. Nice.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Flames come right back with a nice TD throw and run. 10-10 tie middle of 2nd.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Field is in great shape. Flame Sports Network does a really nice job - very similar to LSN.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Take off your pop-up blockers and disable Adblock Plus, if you use it. It WILL NOT work with Adblock Plus. Then clear your browser cache. ESPN3 is very sensitive to any anti-malware software because it's one huge piece of malware itself.

Thanks i'll try that. For now I bought it on lehighsports.com.

Both offenses moving the ball well. Summers for Liberty is very good. He is big and athletic.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Wow this game is nuts! 17-13 Flames. Four TDs called back. Liberty trying to lose this game in many ways.

carney2
September 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Liberty has had 3 TDs called back because of penalties. And it's not even halftime.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Brown-to-Summers TD, despite the best efforts of the CAA/Ivy/Patriot officiating crew. xrolleyesx 17-13 Liberty 2:00 in the half.

C'mon, Squawkers, got to tighten up the coverage.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wow - Lum to Sherman TD pass. 20-17 Lehigh.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Yep - whoever has possession last will win this game. This is insane.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
WTF... Lehigh TD... Flames can't play D... 17 seconds!

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Wow entertaining game. I like what I've seen from Sherman today. damn

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Brown-to-Summers TD, despite the best efforts of the CAA/Ivy/Patriot officiating crew. xrolleyesx 17-13 Liberty 2:00 in the half.

C'mon, Squawkers, got to tighten up the coverage.

Cmon Bogie... let's go Flames! We need to have Lehigh's spirts crushed as much as possible.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Cmon Bogie... let's go Flames! We need to have Lehigh's spirts crushed as much as possible.

We might need the Brown Panties to have the best possible record when we crush them at the end of the season.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm at the game... lots of Liberty red... and red Phillies shirts fitting in well on the Liberty side.

R3TRO
September 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Score?

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Watching this one on ESPN Gameplan. They're using the Liberty Flames Network feed. Gotta say, the Liberty Network coverage is VERY good. The announcers really are fair, unbiased, and easy to take. We always complain about homers in broadcasting, but these guys are excellent.

Surprised Lehigh is leading at half. It could well be down 31-14. The Brown to Summers tandem is scary. I believe this game will come down to those two, despite Lehigh's success to open the second half.

crusader11
September 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
27-17 Lehigh on top. Lum and Co. marched right down the field on the first drive of the second half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Great opening scoring drive for lehigh!

27-17 lehigh 9:08 3q

carney2
September 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Score?

Lehigh 27, Liberty 17

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Drawl made a terrible decision that punt. Liberty once again has great field position.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Lehigh special teams r horrendous!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Lehigh lost all the momentum after they had a chance to bury liberty.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Lehighs offense needs to step up!

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Lehigh still up by 3. Someone needs to find a knockout punch. Drawl making some amends, but face mask call on Liberty is wrong.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Will the officials play a part in the outcome of this game?

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hope not! Next team to score a touchdown wins this one.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Offense looks terrible. Lum seems to be lacking some arm strength

Bogus Megapardus
Lum quick kick. You don't see that every day.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Hope not! Next team to score a touchdown wins this one.

12 mins left. Time for 4-5 scores easily in this one!

carney2
September 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Liberty: Good talent. Bad team. If they win the Big South and get to the playoffs, they'll get their clock cleaned.

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Maybe the officials WILL play a part in this one!

Go Lehigh TU owl
Lehigh making way too many mistakes to win.

Bogus Megapardus
Penalty nullifies Lehigh interception. That could be the game.

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Still weary of 5'10 coverage on a 6'5 receiver.

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Make that wary. Thank goodness for opposing team fumbles!

Go Lehigh TU owl
Defesne stepping up! Offense needs to win this game!

carney2
They both deserve to lose.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Flame QB Brown gets whacked and fumbles. The Drinker Twinkies get a big break.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Agree Liberty does not play well as a team at times. Did not see that fumble. Let's see what Lum is made of...

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
QB banged up good... Lehigh may have this for sure.

Bogus Megapardus
Game is totally in Lum's hands now.

carney2
From what I've seen, Liberty's entire season is dependent on whether Brown hops up and shakes it off. Does not look good.

There ya go. He's up. He's ambulatory. Apparently not serious.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Not sure what the injury is... he looks confused and is high stepping walking around alot.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Brown tried a squat and couldn't stand up straight.

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
1:32 to go. Looking like Lehigh escapes with the win.

carney2
September 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Perhaps Liberty should stop scheduling Patriot League teams.

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM
33 seconds remain. Liberty needs a miracle. Odd game, for sure.

Neighbor2
September 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Liberty's first team kicker is not suited up. Did the big felon play?

carney2
September 24th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Final: Lehigh 27, Liberty 24.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Big win for lehigh. The defense was very good in the second half!

The Historian
September 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
The big surprise this year is how well the OL has played this season. One of the big question marks going into the season has been a big plus.

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Both defenses really locked down in the second half. Lehigh really made the plays that needed to be made to hold on...hopefully we'll both be in the show come end of the year

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Congrats to the Feathered Feinds. It was a very entertaining game. Have to agree with the sentiments above - Liberty has some very talented players but Lehigh has a better team.

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Congrats Lehigh. 3 very impressive games so far.

RichH2
September 24th, 2011, 03:16 PM
On the way home now,a heart attack inducing game. STs are still atrocious. Flames have lots of talent, surprised me by making as many or more mistakes than us. Our O diappeared in 4th but so did Flames. Guess they were both worn out. Flames O is a only as good as Brown . D knocked him around in the 2nd half. Chambers is a Sunday player next year. Flame fans are great. Great spirit and lungs. It was fun all around.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
RicH2 stop driving and posting....very dangerous

Don't text while driving. Don't drink while texting. Don't drive while drinking.

Pick two.

RichH2
September 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM
OK , I set myself up for you and Bogie but my son is driving and I am trying to get scores. I think UNH is beting UR.

Southsider
September 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Just got home from the game. Very bizarre day, to say the least. 4 TD's called back. Lehigh's pass defense continues to be poor, as well as the tackling in general. They just dont wrap up. Liberty WR Summers is a beast! Lehigh O bogged down a bit in 2nd half. OK with trying to establish run, but need more northbound and less east/west. Also, on the 4th down why wouldn't you throw it into the endzone? Could score and ice the game. A pic or incompletion gives them the ball at roughly the same spot? But, a great win nonetheless!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I really think as the season goes on Lehigh's defense will prove to be very solid. The special teams absolutely have to improve though. They did some good things today but still too many mistakes.

Sly Fox
September 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Congrats to the Mountain Hawks. What a disastrous day for the Flames. No room for error the rest of the season. None.

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Congrats to the Mountain Hawks. What a disastrous day for the Flames. No room for error the rest of the season. None.

Prob have to get the Auto Bid now or hope some things happen and 7-4 from the Big South would help (win out and your AB obviously)

van
September 24th, 2011, 05:49 PM
On the way home now,a heart attack inducing game. STs are still atrocious. Flames have lots of talent, surprised me by making as many or more mistakes than us. Our O diappeared in 4th but so did Flames. Guess they were both worn out. Flames O is a only as good as Brown . D knocked him around in the 2nd half. Chambers is a Sunday player next year. Flame fans are great. Great spirit and lungs. It was fun all around.

Agree with Rich, thought I would need CPR a couple of times. We need a corner back and some special teams.

ngineer
September 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
A lot of mistakes for teams in the fourth week of the season. Both defenses made adjustments in the second half which slowed things down, but so did the the offenses themselves with penalties and turnovers. Liberty's secondary is pretty good. Even when passes completed receivers were usually hit right away (except the 55 yarder to Spadola). The 73 yarder to Sherman was likely an LB mistake in not picking him up. Lum seemed hurt in the fourth quarter. He got hit pretty hard and Lehigh used a TO to help him get straightened out. Still, what impressed me was Lehigh's ability to drive the field using up 5 minutes of the last 5:30, with a lot of the yards coming on the ground. That is something we could never have done two-three years ago. Kudos to the OL. Not one sack and decent run blocking. Sherman is breaking into his own. Gives a great 1-2 punch with Barket. Divers two FGs looked good. And while special teams continued to make some mistakes, at least on this day they actually made some big plays, too: 1)the onsides kick was fantastic 2) 2/2 of FGs 3) a new KO returner, FR Suggs averaged 28 yards and almost took one to the house, 4)KO coverage improved with only one long return. Still Drwal's catching the punt at the five was a horrible brain freeze and the snap over the Divers head were the two big miscues. The horrible penalty Lehigh LB Loughery took on hitting the QB late to give Liberty a first down when we had them pinned down on the goaline is stuff that has to stop. Such stupid play will really cost us somewhere down the road.
Final line: When you don't play your best and still beat a decent team, that says something. What others said above I agree; Liberty has some great athletes. Summers will be playing on Sundays. But Lehigh had a better team on balance. Defense tightened up when it had to. Two weeks in a row we come out slow in the first quarter on both sides of ball. So, still much to work on. But now, this team can see that they have the makings of a great season in their grasp if they focus on each opponent as they come. Still a long season to go, but a lot of promise.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/lehigh-27-liberty-24-final.html

What a game. It's the type of game that will be remembered a long time by both teams.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Meh... the UNH game was better; was at both too.

ps Chapman did not do much out there... big guy can't move.

RichH2
September 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Agree on Asa huge but not a factor. Lum clutch even tho he was out of sorts in the 2nd half. Ol with Vuono back was good. Noticed that Andy had them do STs also as per box score info. Cant say I noticed during the game. Groome playing better each week as is 2ndary. Witt will test us next week . Yale vs Cornell both teams seem slow. After watching LU-LU it was like watching a slo mo football game.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I am off the Liberty bandwagon

RichH2
September 25th, 2011, 03:18 PM
This was a game decided by mistakes by both teams. Flames just outdid us with number and timing. Mistakes are fixable, if coacing staff any good. Lehigh also needs to clean up STs and some mental errors. St improving a little each week. Still have a long ways to go. Suggs will help on KR. Jarvis and Rivas hurt will see if they can heal by Yale.

van
September 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
We need a corner back to go with Andrews, Gabe is over matched.

Sly Fox
September 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The Flames score another TD ... wait, what is that yellow thing down there. Ugh.

LFN - With all due respect, I think most FlameFans want to forget this trip to Bethlehem as soon as possible.

And even before this past Saturday, Liberty has been focused on the auto bid. A win over Lehigh wouldn't do us much good in the big picture. We blew our chances against JMU. I'm still trying to get my mind around us sitting at 1-3. Double Ugh.

heath
September 25th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I am off the Liberty bandwagon

You and me both..Nice win Lehigh,run the table

ngineer
September 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
You and me both..Nice win Lehigh,run the table

The table is ours to be had,now. Some tough games all over, but in each one, we should be favored at this point. If we clean up the mistakes we should be okay. IF, and still a big if, we can run the table, I'd like to think we'd get a home playoff game. Something to keep the kids focused. (;-)

ngineer
September 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Meh... the UNH game was better; was at both too.

ps Chapman did not do much out there... big guy can't move.

I agree. I think both UNH and Lehigh were 'sharper' than Lehigh and Liberty, although I think our D was better, but that may have also been due to the opposition. Chapman just plugs the middle. I'd much rather have a 250 nose guard with quick feet.

van
September 25th, 2011, 07:57 PM
The table is ours to be had,now. Some tough games all over, but in each one, we should be favored at this point. If we clean up the mistakes we should be okay. IF, and still a big if, we can run the table, I'd like to think we'd get a home playoff game. Something to keep the kids focused. (;-)

Clearly we have yet to play our best game. If we clean up the mistakes we can be very good.