PDA

View Full Version : Why is GSU vs. Wofford not a rivalry game?

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Just looking at the scores and history between these two teams it would seem like WC would be a perfect 3rd rival for GSU.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/georgia_southern/opponents_records.php?teamid=3625

1982 was the first game, we've played 17 times since. Our last five meetings have been decided by 7 points or less. GSU leads the series but WC is one of the only schools that we've played more than twice that has a winning record in Paulson stadium. (Troy also does but many of the GSU vs. troy games were in the 1930's)

I'm not sure why this is not treated the way it probably should be every year when these teams meet up?

Since MTSU, Troy, and Marshall all moved up, GSU has needed someone else on the schedule to hate :D

Reign of Terrier
September 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, from a statistical standpoint GSU is our biggest rival. I think they set up to be a perfect rival really. Our cultures off the field are so much different, our gameday atmospheres are different. Between the lines we're identical, we run the same offense and we're both successful in a young money/old money kind of way

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, from a statistical standpoint GSU is our biggest rival. I think they set up to be a perfect rival really. Our cultures off the field are so much different, our gameday atmospheres are different. Between the lines we're identical, we run the same offense and we're both successful in a young money/old money kind of way

I completely agree, and there have been some really AWESOME games between the two schools.

GSU is 7-2 AT wofford
Wofford is 5-3 AT Paulson

That right there should make us instant rivals.

It would help if we had some dumb trophy to play for... Just thinking about really dumb things, and because of our mascots, I think we could play for a petrified bone. We both run versions of the flexbone at times and little dogs love to eat bones. Ok i'll quit while i'm behind.

Rob Iola
September 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Because neither one is Chattanooga?

Reign of Terrier
September 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I completely agree, and there have been some really AWESOME games between the two schools.

GSU is 7-2 AT wofford
Wofford is 5-3 AT Paulson

That right there should make us instant rivals.

It would help if we had some dumb trophy to play for... Just thinking about really dumb things, and because of our mascots, I think we could play for a petrified bone. We both run versions of the flexbone at times and little dogs love to eat bones. Ok i'll quit while i'm behind.

Another thing too....GSU was able to dominate the young series early, winning 5 of the first 6 games against Socon newcomer Wofford. Wofford won the first game, but that was one of the first years that GSU rebooted their program with.

Wofford has one 6 of the last 10 games

pike51
September 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe we can play for the right to kick chatttownmocs in the hind end! Winner gets 10 kicks.. loser only gets 5.

Smitty
September 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Maybe we can play for the right to kick chatttownmocs in the hind end! Winner gets 10 kicks.. loser only gets 5.

Still a win win situation...

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Because nothing is more boring than 2 option teams playing agaisnt each other.

CC Eagle
September 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Except for possibly watching your savior QB throw away the season in the final game?

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Except for possibly watching your savior QB throw away the season in the final game?

Or watching him dismantle the vaunted Georgia Southern defense.

CC Eagle
September 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Just keep trying... Maybe you'll get to be in the cool kids club if you can, you know, have a winning record for more than a couple of years in a row every so often.

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Just keep trying... Maybe you'll get to be in the cool kids club if you can, you know, have a winning record for more than a couple of years in a row every so often.

Keep trying what? You failed miserably. Bragging about otehr teams' accomplishments? Pathetic.

eaglemachine
September 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM

my browser has spell check...

CC Eagle
September 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Keep trying what? You failed miserably. Bragging about otehr teams' accomplishments? Pathetic.

Keep trying to convince yourself that your team is anything but a handful of talented players that will win some games, but will leave the team to wilt away again after they're gone.

I brag about others' accomplishment because - last year and three other instances in the 24-game history of the GSU-UTC series aside - Georgia Southern has so utterly dominated the rivalry (if you can call it that) that UTC's shortcomings are better referenced and highlighted against a team that doesn't have the same history or dominance.

Reign of Terrier
September 19th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Chattanooga sucks

eaglesrthe1
September 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
It is for me.

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Keep trying to convince yourself that your team is anything but a handful of talented players that will win some games, but will leave the team to wilt away again after they're gone.

I brag about others' accomplishment because - last year and three other instances in the 24-game history of the GSU-UTC series aside - Georgia Southern has so utterly dominated the rivalry (if you can call it that) that UTC's shortcomings are better referenced and highlighted against a team that doesn't have the same history or dominance.

A handful of talented players? Ok we have big time players in every class, from senior to freshman. You sound so foolish when you try and pretend that the mocs arent here, and that they arent here to stay. But keeping on living in your 30 year past.

CC Eagle
September 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM
A handful of talented players? Ok we have big time players in every class, from senior to freshman. You sound so foolish when you try and pretend that the mocs arent here, and that they arent here to stay. But keeping on living in your 30 year past.

Crack is whack, dude.

blueballs
September 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM
GSU and Wofford have played some epic games in the past few years... the two games last year, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008 were all as good as it gets.

They SHOULD be a rival but it is hard to develop too big a dislike because Ayers does more with less than anybody else and it is hard to not admire them, even when you are trying to whup thier azz.

straightshooter
September 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM
GSU and Wofford have played some epic games in the past few years... the two games last year, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008 were all as good as it gets.

They SHOULD be a rival but it is hard to develop too big a dislike because Ayers does more with less than anybody else and it is hard to not admire them, even when you are trying to whup thier azz.

Small Woofford fan base and no smack from the Terriers keep this game low key for the fans. The coaches and players share respect, but in reality, it's the fans that make the rivalries what they are.

eaglewraith
September 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM

52% completion ratio
159 yards passing
40 yards less total yardage than Georgia Southern

Yea we really got dismantled. Be glad we gave you two turnovers. We gave you that game on a silver platter.

Reign of Terrier
September 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Small Woofford fan base and no smack from the Terriers keep this game low key for the fans. The coaches and players share respect, but in reality, it's the fans that make the rivalries what they are.
Truer words were never spoken

Eagle22
September 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM

True enough. If last year's playoff game results (score and loss of home field advantage) don't stir up the Wofford fanbase into some sort of froth, this game will likely never become a rivalry in the same vein as GSU-ASU, GSU-Furman, or Furman-Citadel.

blueballs
September 20th, 2011, 10:28 AM
52% completion ratio
159 yards passing
40 yards less total yardage than Georgia Southern

Yea we really got dismantled. Be glad we gave you two turnovers and a bogus and never called "roughing the holder personal foul." We gave you that game on a silver platter.

FIFY