PDA

View Full Version : Villanova Applies For ACC Membership

superman7515
September 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.thenovablog.com/

Nothing major (yet), and something we kind of knew already, but it is nice to hear an ACC official (better yet, the commissioner) come out and say that the ACC has been in contact with 10 additional schools, and a source confirming that Villanova did officially apply to join the ACC......

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-fiu-sidebar-0918-20110917,0,2585716.story

ACC Commissioner John Swofford said during a teleconference Sunday the league received more than 10 applications from schools hoping to join the league. Orlando Sentinel sources confirmed multiple Big East members applied to join the league, including Villanova.

Go Apps
September 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I am hoping App State was one of those schools...

Go...gate
September 19th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Holy sh-t!

bluehenbillk
September 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
In related news, I have applied to bang Pippa Middleton. And I have a better shot....

Bison4Life
September 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
wow!!

Green26
September 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM
The Big East is going to have to fight to survive in football. Don't they only have about 8 football teams, and are now losing 2. Rutgers may now go to the Big 12, I would think. West Virginia will probably go somewhere. Other Big East teams may look at the ACC. The ACC may lose some teams to the SEC. I read that the Big East and Big 12 (or whatever they are now) are now in a race to see which one of them will survive. The Big East commissioner appears to have been asleep. Maybe Villanova is in a good place, but my initial thought is that Villanova is not in a good place now. What top football conference is looking for an 0-3 FCS team that doesn't draw fans and doesn't have a workable stadium? Again, maybe Vill is in a good place, as I'm not following its situation much.

danefan
September 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wow is right.

Are there any ACC schools not playing ACC football?

JmuSkinsfan
September 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I can't imagine Villanova brings much to the ACC outside of basketball. Football-wise, they bring no fan-base ... and crap facilities. They also bring the Philly market ... but if the ACC wanted that so badly ... they could just tab Temple.

I could see Villanova going to the ACC only if the ACC lets them in under strict conditions that require immense growth around the football program ... this is a football-driven re-shuffle ... not so much basketball

bostonspider
September 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
As per the BE football, I completely see it disolving. UConn and Rutgers to the ACC, WVU to the SEC and then USF, Louisville, Cincinnati and TCU will join with the remnants of the B12 (assuming OU, OSU, UT and TT head to PAC16), Baylor, Kansas, ISU, KSU and Missouri. Those nine take in maybe 3 or more CUSA and MWC schools (Memphis, UH, SMU, Rice, Boise State, etc..) and form the new Big 12. This leaves the Big East as the seven non FBS football playing members plus Notre Dame. It is not inconceivable that they would reach out to the A10 for new members to get up to 12 teams. I would think UD/XU would be locks. Then they would need one more western and one more eastern school. I could see either St. Louis or Butler in the West and either Richmond or Duquesne in the East. I think going with Butler and Richmond works somewhat because they are private but not catholic, which allows the league to remove any religious criticism.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6154/6162714395_5a076838ce.jpg

Big East

East
Georgetown
Providence
Richmond
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova

West
Butler
Dayton
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Xavier

Nicely balanced, all private and all in nicely sized markets. 12 makes it easier for scheduling, especially for olympic sports, keeping most of the travel in the same geographic area.

For now, Villanova and UR stay in the CAA for football, GU still in PL, and Dayton still in PFL

WestCoastAggie
September 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
What will Georgetown do?

elon77
September 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
In related news, I have applied to bang Pippa Middleton. And I have a better shot....

And I wouldn't blame you one bit. If I was younger I would also apply.

HailSzczur
September 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I think Nova only goes to the ACC as a non-football member. And the only way I can see this happening is if the ACC takes another non-football school to put them at 14 for football and 16 for basketball.
Maybe Nova and Georgetown?

WestCoastAggie
September 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I think Nova only goes to the ACC as a non-football member. And the only way I can see this happening is if the ACC takes another non-football school to put them at 14 for football and 16 for basketball.
Maybe Nova and Georgetown?

Georgetown has no other choice but to apply.

SideLine Shooter
September 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
UTC should apply if they haven't yet.

Reign of Terrier
September 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
UTC should apply if they haven't yet.

They already have the SEC membership locked down

Franks Tanks
September 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Just about every Big East football playing school probably applied to the ACC.

UCONN, Rutgers, WVU (although they may be an SEC invite), USF, and Lousiville. I would imagine Central Florida, TCU, ECU, and maybe even Memphis want in.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
What will Georgetown do?

Probably beat up China..............................

URMite
September 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
How similar are the situations for GTown & Nova? I assume both will start trying to secure a basketball position if they get locked out of an all sports position by not being a top football program.

ALPHAGRIZ1
CAA or ACC still equals 0-3

Franks Tanks
Whoever doesn't get into the ACC may join up with the remaining Big 12 schools that don't go to the Pac-16.

We have have Louisville, USF, TCU, Kansas, K-State, Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and UCF together.

This is assuming Rutgers and UCONN find an ACC home, and WVU finds a place in the SEC. Rutgers may still be on the Big 10 radar. WVU will be good with the SEC. They are already a bunch of rednecks.

I forgot Missouri. I can see Rutgers and Missouri to the Big 10 if Notre Dame doesn't make a move. If Notre Dame does go, I think the Big 10 also adds Rutgers. There are still rumors that Texas is looking at Big 10 membership. If they go I can see Texas and Notre dame to the big 10.

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
When Villanova doesn't get a sniff from the ACC, blame Pitt's Mark Nordenberg for it. as Pitt led the stall ball which delayed Nova's I-A football application so the Wildcats did not move up this year as UMass did.

StorminASU
September 19th, 2011, 12:03 PM
They already have the SEC membership locked down

I don't know where you're getting your facts, but that's obviously wrong. The SEC is completely disinterested in Chattanooga. It's absurd to think otherwise. Why would they be interested when everyone knows the NFC South is drawing up papers now to add UTC.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I think it is safe to say that the Villanova FB to the Patriot League rumors are history, as well.

Sycamore51
September 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I think UConn and Rutgers go ACC. Texas, Tech, OU, and OSU go Pack 16. Big Ten stays at 12, unless Notre Dame has a change of heart, then they grab Mizzou too. A new conference will form like this.

East
Louisville
Cinci
USF
UCF
Memphis
Mizzou (Southern Miss if no Mizzou)
Iowa State
(Souther Miss/ECU)

West
Kansas
Kansas St
Baylor
TCU
BYU
Boise St
SMU
(Tulsa)

I think they'll go 14, but if 16 I have that too. This will have 5 power conferences and all but get rid of smaller schools getting a BCS bid.

Dane96
September 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM
UMASS' move is looking quiet unbrilliant.

bluehenbillk
September 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I think it is safe to say that the Villanova FB to the Patriot League rumors are history, as well.

No, I wouldn't say that. When this whole thing shakes out they'll either A) stay in CAA, B) goto the PL, or C) drop football again

Franks Tanks
I think UConn and Rutgers go ACC. Texas, Tech, OU, and OSU go Pack 16. Big Ten stays at 12, unless Notre Dame has a change of heart, then they grab Mizzou too. A new conference will form like this.

East
Louisville
Cinci
USF
UCF
Memphis
Mizzou (Southern Miss if no Mizzou)
Iowa State
(Souther Miss/ECU)

West
Kansas
Kansas St
Baylor
TCU
BYU
Boise St
SMU
(Tulsa)

I think they'll go 14, but if 16 I have that too. This will have 5 power conferences and all but get rid of smaller schools getting a BCS bid.

Great post. From all the rumors I read this seems the most likley, and you did more research than I.

As you say Notre Dame is the wildcard. What they do will have a huge impact on what the Big 10, and everyone else does.

813Jag
As an FSU fan, this exictes me very. xrolleyesx

Another great bball move, but as for football none of this reall works me.

Sycamore51
September 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I also think the remaining CUSA schools will merge with the Mountain West, once again leaving the WAC out in the cold.

bluehenbillk
September 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2011/09/20/sports/doc4e78a11e81281714001657.txt

As quickly as they applied, as quickly the ACC said "Thanks, but no thanks".

carney2
September 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Latest "word" is that the SEC has no interest in West Virginia at this time, but, surprisingly, Missouri may get a nod if the conference decides to deal itself in for this round of musical chairs.

Strangely, the Big Ten has not made any noise at all. They seem content with 12 members and their very lucrative TV deals. Word (again, that "word") has it that they will not move unless or until a big fish swims their way. Color that Notre Dame, but you can count on the Irish banging that Independent drum until they have absolutely no choice - which seems inevitable at some point.

dgtw
September 20th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I'm a little surprised the Big Ten seems content to let Missouri (who has been begging for an invite to the Big Ten) go to the SEC. They have decent basketball and football and teo big media markets and make geographic sense. So why let the SEC come in and plant a flag in your backyard?

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM

They weren't rumors at all. It was under full, official consideration. But that was in a time long ago and a place far away. Throwing Villanova women's lacrosse out of the PL didn't help.

A full scholarship Patriot without an academic index, which is willing to accept football-only members regardless of their other conference affiliations, would appeal to many institutions, I'm sure. But that's not in the cards. So no, Villanova won't be playing PL football - ever.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM
hahaha oh villanova how you amuse me with your selective arrogance. okay, i admit it...i am just over-reacting because i hate a few people associated with the hoops programs.

DFW HOYA
September 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
A full scholarship Patriot without an academic index, which is willing to accept football-only members regardless of their other conference affiliations, would appeal to many institutions, I'm sure. But that's not in the cards. So no, Villanova won't be playing PL football - ever.

The PL will have its own realignment saga soon, I'm afraid. One or two more moves at Colgate could sink the ship fairly fast.

bkrownd
September 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'm a little surprised the Big Ten seems content to let Missouri (who has been begging for an invite to the Big Ten) go to the SEC. They have decent basketball and football and teo big media markets and make geographic sense. So why let the SEC come in and plant a flag in your backyard?

Outhouse Science majors, and varmint trapping and skinning classes don't sit well with the B1G presidents xcoffeex

Go...gate
September 20th, 2011, 06:05 PM
The PL will have its own realignment saga soon, I'm afraid. One or two more moves at Colgate could sink the ship fairly fast.

Say what?

pbr1893
September 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Wow is right.

Are there any ACC schools not playing ACC football?

duke...:D well, except for last sat against bc.

Tribe93
September 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I work with a guy who is a Villanova "Medallion Alum." I'm not sure what that means, exactly, but he is heavily connected. I can't remember the guy's name (maybe the pres or AD) but some big-wig at Nova is a major Nova football promoter. My colleague said that most every professor and admin at Nova doesn't support football and this big-wig has alienated himself with his pipe dream. The school doesn't want to rent a stadium and there's no money to build a major stadium. For anyone who has attended a game at Nova, they know a nice stadium is far from priority. Without a suitable stadium, FBS football isn't an option. It's an academic, basketball-oriented university; FBS football doesn't seem to be on their top 100 list. We'll see.

carney2
September 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Say what?

Apparently (didn't see it), Paul Reinhard, the Allentown Morning Call beat writer that covers Lafayette, stated on a cable TV interview that he expects things to happen in the Patriot League THIS December, and not in 2012. He stated that he has no hard information, but is basing this on bits and pieces that he has heard. Sorry, folks, that's all there is. This thread is now officially open for a hijacking.

gasoutherneagle
September 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM
ONE THING IS FOR DAMN SURE: Georgia Southern ain't on that list, because our AD read about the conference shake-up, had dinner, and went to bed thinking nothing of it. I'M SO F'ING TIRED OF OUR Athletic Department leadership still operating under the assumption that we are still that little 10K regional college!

Spiderbone
September 20th, 2011, 08:52 PM
FCS Champion

My Team
Take a wild guess. Go ahead... spitball one!

Is your favorite team.....Furman?, NO!....well howabout....ummmmm.....Appalachian State?......no, not that either......hmmmmmmm.....OH!....I got it your favorite team is......what's that team....yeah I got it...the Atlanta Dream (those chicks are awesome ballers!)

gasoutherneagle
September 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Atlanta Dream... HA! I HAVE A DREAM! That you'll do yourself a favor, like some others on this board (right Ralph?), and make the trip to Statesboro to see what a "dream" college women can look like.xnodxxthumbsupxxlovex

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Apparently (didn't see it), Paul Reinhard, the Allentown Morning Call beat writer that covers Lafayette, stated on a cable TV interview that he expects things to happen in the Patriot League THIS December, and not in 2012. He stated that he has no hard information, but is basing this on bits and pieces that he has heard. Sorry, folks, that's all there is. This thread is now officially open for a hijacking.

Haphazard prediction:

1. The eight-team (other-than-football) Patriot League remains intact and as stable as ever, with American U., Army, Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh and Navy. More scholarships are added to lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, etc. by schools that don't already have them. We plod along amiably with our one March Madness bid, occasionally reach the Final Four in soccer and field hockey and maybe even the title in lacrosse, and rest on our laurels without caring much about what others think of us.

2. The seven-member football league loses Fordham to the CAA (they'll replace JMU or something) and adds one additional member not named Richmond, Villanova or William & Mary. I continue to maintain that the new member will be Hopkins, RPI or Rochester and that the PL goes into a years-long "holding pattern" while the new team fumbles through the NCAA move-up policy. If the new member becomes an all-sports member, American U. from #1 (above) gets the steel-toed boot. No one really knows what AU plays, anyhow. It might be just a girls' school; I'm not sure.

3. And that's all. Nothing more. No big events or metamorphoses. Oh yeah, we get football scholarships. Or not. It'll be all or nothing, not halfway. We already spend the $$$.

ngineer
September 20th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hey, maybe Duke will win a few games now in football!!

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM

You may be right... Army and Navy might be joining the Big East.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hey, maybe Duke will win a few games now in football!!

Duke just beat Boston College. EAAASSYY now. Just because they historically totally suck, doesn't mean they will always totally suck. I'm putting Duke at 3 wins this year. Call me crazy.

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 12:07 AM
gasoutherneagle, you do have a regional school. There are 300 universities or more rated above Statesboro U. Stick to your gridiron success as it makes some including myself jelly.

ASUMountaineer
September 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Duke just beat Boston College. EAAASSYY now. Just because they historically totally suck, doesn't mean they will always totally suck. I'm putting Duke at 3 wins this year. Call me crazy.

Crazy.

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
Duke vs. App State - the showdown! Who wins? Renfree or Presley?

Spiderbone
September 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Atlanta Dream... HA! I HAVE A DREAM! That you'll do yourself a favor, like some others on this board (right Ralph?), and make the trip to Statesboro to see what a "dream" college women can look like.xnodxxthumbsupxxlovex

Got a degree from University of Florida, BELIEVE ME, I know what that's all about! (unless of course you are being sarcastic and all of the women in Statesboro have one tooth and are more or less trollish)

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Okay, I have been to University of Florida back when I had a full head of hair. Women in bikinis laying out on campus greens. If you have any physical fitness at all, you will get eyef***ed like you never expected. It's glorious.

ASUMountaineer
September 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
Duke vs. App State - the showdown! Who wins? Renfree or Presley?

HA! Good questions, at least Presley would feel comfortable playing on a field surrounded by a track, am I right? xlolx Hopefully we'd win what with Richmond taking care of business against Duke--again.

gasoutherneagle
September 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Got a degree from University of Florida, BELIEVE ME, I know what that's all about! (unless of course you are being sarcastic and all of the women in Statesboro have one tooth and are more or less trollish)

No sarcasm intended. I think there is something in the water down here that makes 95% of the coeds drop-dead gorgeous!

appfan2008
September 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
No sarcasm intended. I think there is something in the water down here that makes 95% of the coeds drop-dead gorgeous!

it is a deep south sorta thing...

ASUMountaineer
September 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM

Perhaps it's something to do with Eagle Creek...

Go...gate
September 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM
I work with a guy who is a Villanova "Medallion Alum." I'm not sure what that means, exactly, but he is heavily connected. I can't remember the guy's name (maybe the pres or AD) but some big-wig at Nova is a major Nova football promoter. My colleague said that most every professor and admin at Nova doesn't support football and this big-wig has alienated himself with his pipe dream. The school doesn't want to rent a stadium and there's no money to build a major stadium. For anyone who has attended a game at Nova, they know a nice stadium is far from priority. Without a suitable stadium, FBS football isn't an option. It's an academic, basketball-oriented university; FBS football doesn't seem to be on their top 100 list. We'll see.

Nice to know that Villanova and Colgate have so much in common, except our faculty seemingly hates ALL sports.

TheBisonator
September 21st, 2011, 04:07 PM
I haven't read through all this thread, but I have been looking at photos of Villanova Stadium, and I disagree with the people who say it cannot be expanded.

Look at a picture of it:

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium/villanova-stadium-duncan-pearson.jpg

You could completely add 10 more rows to the whole thing and completely bowl it in (see the bottom part of the pic?), and have enough room for a new press/club level on the left side, and the capacity could double. Then Nova could play maybe one or two games a year at the Linc to boost attendance. I disagree with the idea that there is no room. There could still be enough space for a sidewalk, the width of a new press level and 10 more rows of seats on that left side. If there were something like 40 rows extended all the way around the track in a full horseshoe, that could easily make 25,000 seats, possibly more.

Imagine getting 25K on campus for four games a year, then 60,000 twice for big games at the Linc against some bigger name ACC programs (Pitt or Clemson?)

I just don't know how much money Nova has to do it.

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM
I thinkt hey must have been selling it on basketball mostly. Where's the Nova football tradition? One recent title yeah. That was because of about 5 players.

the current team cant be monmouth. Not AN ACC sell.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
You could completely add 10 more rows to the whole thing and completely bowl it in (see the bottom part of the pic?), and have enough room for a new press/club level on the left side, and the capacity could double. Then Nova could play maybe one or two games a year at the Linc to boost attendance. I disagree with the idea that there is no room. There could still be enough space for a sidewalk, the width of a new press level and 10 more rows of seats on that left side. If there were something like 40 rows extended all the way around the track in a full horseshoe, that could easily make 25,000 seats, possibly more.

You've never been to Radnor Township, have you? xlolx Imagine, say, Beverly Hills or Greenwich, CT - times ten. Rich, snobby, politically well-connected and very much against expansion of Villanova Stadium.

There are about a dozen colleges literally within hollering distance of Villanova, and they'd all like to expand, I'm sure.

superman7515
September 21st, 2011, 04:48 PM
You've never been to Radnor Township, have you? xlolx Imagine, say, Beverly Hills or Greenwich, CT - times ten. Rich, snobby, politically well-connected and very much against expansion of Villanova Stadium.

There are about a dozen colleges literally within hollering distance of Villanova, and they'd all like to expand, I'm sure.

Yeah, it's not a matter of whether they can physically do it, it's that the community would never ever ever allow it to happen and even if you did expand it, they still wouldn't show up. The roads & parking in the immediate area couldn't handle a BCS level facility, the community are tailgate Nazi's, and 25k on campus wasn't an option because Pitt, Rutgers, and West Virginia were blocking them from using anything smaller than 40k. The only chance they get around 60k for a game is if they were playing Penn State or Notre Dame (plenty of Catholics around) but Rutgers, UConn, Navy, etc aren't going to move the needle anywhere close to that level.

DFW HOYA
September 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM

Radnor is a working class suburb compared to the residents in Georgetown.

DFW HOYA
September 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM
I haven't read through all this thread, but I have been looking at photos of the Stadium, and I disagree with the people who say it cannot be expanded.

Look at a picture of it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Multi-Sport_Field.jpg

You could completely add 10 more rows to the whole thing and completely bowl it in (see the bottom part of the pic?), and have enough room for a new press/club level on the left side, and the capacity could double... I disagree with the idea that there is no room. There could still be enough space for a sidewalk, the width of a new press level and 10 more rows of seats on that left side. If there were something like 40 rows extended all the way around the track in a full horseshoe, that could easily make 25,000 seats, possibly more.

Imagine getting 25K on campus for four games a year, then 60,000 twice for big games ...against some bigger name ACC programs (Pitt or Clemson?)

OK, a little fun there...

Sader87
September 21st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Radnor Township and the Georgetown district got nothing on Wistah!!!

HailSzczur
September 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM

http://www3.villanova.edu/latfs/images/map.png
One major issue about expanding the stadium is the parking that goes along with it. The bulk of the parking right now is along Rt 30 in the main lot, which is pretty easy to find with its size. The school already has plans in the works to build on the lot and put in a downtown store front type thing with student apartments above, as well as a preforming arts center. The smaller lot on the other side of Ithan next to Pike field is supposed to be turned into a parking garage. The tailgating/parking area is already limited, and you can't really tailgate in a garage. This is just one of the many issues with expansion

SoCon48
September 22nd, 2011, 12:32 AM

Chances are one in a million that ASU would be accepted.

alvinkayak6
September 22nd, 2011, 01:43 AM
You can't tailgate in a garage???? News to me!!!

bluehenbillk
September 22nd, 2011, 08:03 AM
If VU really wanted to play FBS football, why not knock down the old Jake Nevin field house and the "DuPont Pavillion" and build a newer, larger football stadium there? VU already plays 6-7 games a year in the WFC and I'm sure they could use the Palestra as well, which holds 2,500 more than the Pavillion anyway.

HailSzczur
September 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
You can't tailgate in a garage???? News to me!!!

well you can tailgate pretty much anywhere....I just pity the almost half the people who will be doing it on a slant. Plus I can't imagine the size garage you would need for a 40,000 person stadium.

HailSzczur
September 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
If VU really wanted to play FBS football, why not knock down the old Jake Nevin field house and the "DuPont Pavillion" and build a newer, larger football stadium there? VU already plays 6-7 games a year in the WFC and I'm sure they could use the Palestra as well, which holds 2,500 more than the Pavillion anyway.

While that plan seems to work in the minds of so many logical thinkers, I will refer to the previous posts about Radnor township being such a pain. Also, next to the Pavillion is the new Davis Center they just opened about 3 years ago, I don't think Mr. Davis would like to see his multi-million dollar building knocked down so quickly.

And a note, its the just the "Pavillion" not the DuPont Pavillion. We take your name off buildings here if you kill someone

ASUMountaineer
September 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Chances are one in a million that ASU would be accepted.

So, you're telling me there's a chance?

http://www.i70baseball.com/wp-content/uploads/Chance.jpeg

appfan2008
September 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
So, you're telling me there's a chance?

http://www.i70baseball.com/wp-content/uploads/Chance.jpeg

my all time favorite movie...

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
One way to solve the problem would be to relocate Archbishop Carroll to the present Villanova Stadium site (including the land along Ithan Ave) and build a new stadium where Archbishop Carroll now sits - which is bordered by the Blue Route and commercial buildings. The Blue Route exit would have to be modified to allow for traffic to be directed straight into the stadium. It would be an enormously expensive, politically-fraught undertaking, but it would fit on the site, largely avoid the traffic concerns, allow front-door access by train at Radnor Station and avoid some of the other concerns. Archbishop Carroll already is zoned for educational use and it already some hosts sporting events (although Archbishop Carroll itself plays football across the street at Radnor H.S.)

It would, of course, require somebody to buck up a HUGE donation to a Catholic cause for the new "Archbishop Carroll Stadium at Villanova University" to become a reality.

bluehenbillk
September 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
And a note, its the just the "Pavillion" not the DuPont Pavillion. We take your name off buildings here if you kill someone

We know you want us to forget that, but we'll never let you forget it :)

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
One way to solve the problem would be to relocate Archbishop Carroll to the present Villanova Stadium site (including the land along Ithan Ave) and build a new stadium where Archbishop Carroll now sits - which is bordered by the Blue Route and commercial buildings. The Blue Route exit would have to be modified to allow for traffic to be directed straight into the stadium. It would be an enormously expensive, politically-fraught undertaking, but it would fit on the site, largely avoid the traffic concerns, allow front-door access by train at Radnor Station and avoid some of the other concerns. Archbishop Carroll already is zoned for educational use and it already some hosts sporting events (although Archbishop Carroll itself plays football across the street at Radnor H.S.)

It would, of course, require somebody to buck up a HUGE donation to a Catholic cause for the new "Archbishop Carroll Stadium at Villanova University" to become a reality.

While it's an idea, it's just way too costly and problematic for something like that to happen. When you say all the land along Ithan Rd, I assume you mean the DuPont Pavillion, the Nevin Fieldhouse, and that Davis center (I believe that's on the stadium side of Ithan - could be wrong) - so nova would need to level all three of those structures and give that to Carroll? Even then, what does this buy Carroll? Sure, they would get a newer building, but they would lose so much space and grounds that they have now - they have at least 4 full size soccer-type fields plus a baseball field plus other things (tennis courts) where they are now - the space at nova would probably only accomodate the school itself.

And obviously, the big non-starter is the whole Blue Route modifications that would be needed. It already took 50 years for that road to be built and you're not talking about just modifying an exit - it would almost be a brand new exit.

Frankly, just building it where the current stadium is would be less headaches, although still highly unlikely to ever happen. And besides, where is the $150M or more coming from to build this place (basing that cost on $120M to build 18k seat PPL Park in less pricey real estate in Chester)? That's just as big of a problem as to where to build it - there just isn't the money for that.

ASUMountaineer
September 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
my all time favorite movie...

+1

carney2
September 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Villanova football simply does not belong in FBS - now or ever.

BigApp
September 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM

xwhistlexxreadxxwhistlexxwhistlex

HailSzczur
September 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM

I could never agree more with a post than this.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM

Can't see it myself, carney. At least not under present circumstances.

But if the dust settles to reveal 64 +/- "big players" who ditch the NCAA and sign on with Disney Corp. as their administrator, I imagine that's going to carry over to basketball as well. The NCAA might not sidle up all nice and friendly to the basketball programs whose football counterparts just left it high and dry.

So does Villanova risk being left at the curb? If things get carried to that extreme, Villanova might as well blow the dust off their Patriot League application while they can. At least we have a niche of sorts. Georgetown seems to be in the same position.

They kind of have to try for FBS football, then, don't they - or risk the "alternative" :D

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Villanova, you should start your own ACC.

That'll show em.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM

But if the dust settles to reveal 64 +/- "big players" who ditch the NCAA and sign on with Disney Corp. as their administrator, I imagine that's going to carry over to basketball as well. The NCAA might not sidle up all nice and friendly to the basketball programs whose football counterparts just left it high and dry.

So does Villanova risk being left at the curb? If things get carried to that extreme, Villanova might as well blow the dust off their Patriot League application while they can. At least we have a niche of sorts. Georgetown seems to be in the same position.

They kind of have to try for FBS football, then, don't they - or risk the "alternative" :D

Nice for the PL to have a difference to positively sell, for a change. I just hope Annapolis and West Point don't leave for all sports. I think they are crazy to join BE FB, but that is their decision.

Franks Tanks
September 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Nice for the PL to have a difference to positively sell, for a change. I just hope Annapolis and West Point don't leave for all sports. I think they are crazy to join BE FB, but that is their decision.

From everything i've read that is not even being discussed. Only LFN is bringing it up!

superman7515
September 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
From everything i've read that is not even being discussed. Only LFN is bringing it up!

In his defense, ESPN The Fanatic in Philly was saying yesterday that Navy was a go for all sports until Pitt and Syracuse bailed and UConn came out wanting to leave, and then Navy backed off to football only.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
In his defense, ESPN The Fanatic in Philly was saying yesterday that Navy was a go for all sports until Pitt and Syracuse bailed and UConn came out wanting to leave, and then Navy backed off to football only.

Those guys might have gotten it wrong. All other reports I have seen indicate that Navy was considering for football only. I mean think about it - they can barely compete with Bucknell and Holy Cross in basketball as it is. And in the third most popular sport (probably second most popular, ahead of basketball) in Annapolis - lacrosse - the PL gives them a shot at the national title every year. In other sports (women's bball, soccer, etc.) Navy competes evenly for the PL autobid. How exactly does Navy benefit by all-sports membership in the Big East, even if Pitt and Syracuse had remained?

gasoutherneagle
September 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
OK, a little fun there...

Hell, you ought to see the postage stamp of property in Midtown Atlanta that Georgia Tech has a 60,000 capacity stadium in.

DFW HOYA
September 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hell, you ought to see the postage stamp of property in Midtown Atlanta that Georgia Tech has a 60,000 capacity stadium in.

I have. Grant Field looks like Jerry World compared to the MSF.

How exactly does Navy benefit by all-sports membership in the Big East, even if Pitt and Syracuse had remained?

Considerably better TV contract, plus Big East teams share in NCAA tournament credits.

URMite
September 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM

That's the same thing I keep hearing about "The Big 64" leaving in both football & basketball. I'm just having a hard time picturing it. :( I'm not sure what postseaon basketball revenue would look like for anyone if that happened...

To wrap up a couple other thoughts from this thread...The Nova stadium expansion made me thing I was back in a thread about our 8,700 seat stadium. :D We have the same problem as Georgetown & Villanova, neighbors who want peace and quiet 24/7 and can do something about it.

Lastly, Duke is still bad but no longer a laughing stock. Coach Cutliffe is 10-24 against FBS. And they have only lost to one FCS since the split, even if they did it three times. :D 1-3 vs UR 11-0 vs the rest.

Fox 94
September 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
My two cents...

Back in the day schools would give out as many scholarships as they could afford. Teams could have 100+ kids on scholarship who never touched the field just to keep them from playing at other schools. This gave schools such as Notre Dame a huge advantage. If the super conferences break away from the NCAA this could happen in football and basketball. Smaller schools who currently can challenge the BCS schools on the basketball court might not be able to do so in the near future, even if a NCAA type tournament exists moving forward.

Also what is to stop the football schools from not only giving unlimited scholarships but additional benefits to its players such as money, cars, etc.?

BCS schools that have the most resources / richest boosters could have a huge advantage that would effectively limit the number of schools that can put a competitive product on the court / grid iron to the same small handful year in and year out. This is a problem in Baseball where you have a team like the Yankees making the playoffs 16 out of the last 17 years.

The capacity for so many schools to put a quality product on the floor is exactly what makes the NCAA tournament great.

These Super Conferences could destroy the revenue streams they are so desperately trying to monopolize.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
That's the same thing I keep hearing about "The Big 64" leaving in both football & basketball.

Seems to me it wouldn't be limited to football and basketball, either. It would be every sport, all administered by ESPN. Outside of the NCAA mandates, each of the 64 institutions then would field only 4 sports - Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, and an 85-member, full scholarship women's cross-country team.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Googled and found a number of articles on the Service-Academy-to-Big-East issue, but picked this one from the Military Times. Interesting that Army is not discussed for possible membership.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/afteraction/2011/09/22/big-east-rumored-to-have-interest-in-air-force-navy/

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Also what is to stop the football schools from not only giving unlimited scholarships but additional benefits to its players such as money, cars, etc.?

For that matter, what's to stop the Dallas Cowboys and the L.A. Lakers from directly, and overtly, supplementing the lifestyles of the students of their choice?

Oh, and Fox94 - get your PL application in while the gettin' is good. I'm beginning to think we're going to be a rare safe harbor in a violent storm!

dgtw
September 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Once a decade Navy or Army might make a BCS bowl with the Big East. Sounds like a good step tp make. They'll never get there as an Indy.

Fox 94
September 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
NFL should start playing games on Saturday in addition to Sunday.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Googled and found a number of articles on the Service-Academy-to-Big-East issue, but picked this one from the Military Times. Interesting that Army is not discussed for possible membership.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/afteraction/2011/09/22/big-east-rumored-to-have-interest-in-air-force-navy/

Yep - and maybe we're all going to become homecoming fodder for the cadets once again, like in the not-so-old days. I can live with it. Odd, though, it's yet another article without any mention of Army's and Navy's Patriot League affiliation. It's like we don't exist.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
For that matter, what's to stop the Dallas Cowboys and the L.A. Lakers from directly, and overtly, supplementing the lifestyles of the students of their choice?

Oh, and Fox94 - get your PL application in while the gettin' is good. I'm beginning to think we're going to be a rare safe harbor in a violent storm!

Agree with this.

DFW HOYA
September 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
get your PL application in while the gettin' is good. I'm beginning to think we're going to be a rare safe harbor in a violent storm!

Really?? The PL (football situation) is wobbly as they come, and there are still no new takers to Rev. Brooks' offer.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Only my opinion, but it all comes down, of course, to the FB scholarship issue.

Army will probably not leave for all sports and will remain Independent in Football.

Earlier today, Chet Gladchuk of Navy has said on ESPN.com that conference affiliation is a goal for USNA.

If the PL will stay without FB scholarships, it may be a bit less likely now that the conference will break up on that sole issue. In that scenario, though Fordham will leave, an "equivalency" or non-scholarship school will probably be approached as either an Associate Football member or All-Sports member. Who do I think that will be? Marist.

If the PL goes to an FB scholarship model, I think the PL will approach VMI as an all-sports member.

Thoughts?

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Really?? The PL (football situation) is wobbly as they come, and there are still no new takers to Rev. Brooks' offer.

I still tend to concur with Go...gate at least in this regard - keep a steady hand on the tiller and behave propitiously as the occasions arise. We are once again in competitive balance with Big Ivy and the best of us can take on the CAA, OVC and Big South when the mood strikes us. We don't need to be Duke and Stanford and we don't want to be Michigan or Ohio State. We've carved a secure little cubbyhole in the world of college football that can expand through scholarships as appropriate, or not . . . but we'll be fine.

The more I witness the tsunami now swirling around us, the better I feel about some of our past (in)decisions.

Fox 94
September 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
If the PL remain non scholarship for football I would love to see Marist in the PL. I'm not sure the school would do it for all sports.

But I do not see it happening putting aside the snob factor that the PL has towards Marist there is no getting around the fact that our endowment is much smaller than any other school currently in the PL and the $$$ available to invest in the program would always have us at a competitive disadvantage.

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
If the PL remain non scholarship for football I would love to see Marist in the PL. I'm not sure the school would do it for all sports.

The conversation would go something like this:

PL COMMISH: "Good news; the presidents have given me the authority to reconsider Marist's application."

MARIST AD: "That's great, but I'm not certain we'd want to bring all of our sports, especially basketball."

PL COMMISH: "You'd have to"

MARIST AD: "OK."

Dane96
September 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Pretty much spot on. I have no idea staying in the MAAC would be a draw. It's a one trick basketball pony that could be diminished based on the realignment of the NE athletic programs.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
All along I've thought that it's Marist's men's and women's basketball programs that make Marist such an attractive draw for the PL should they remain at this "sorta-non-scholarship" level. But if the Red Foxes just want football-only, I don't think it will happen.

And... would Marist suddenly embrace a league that, until very recently, thought it was "too cool" to add Marist? That's an extremely open question. I'm not sure Marist would accept even if offered.

Again, with the huge caveat that the PL remain "non-scholarship" for years to come, the best possible course of action for the League IMO would be to pursue Marist and Loyola (MD) as full Patriot League members (keeping in mind that Loyola could very well start a football program - they have the facilities to do it). But again, becoming a "scholarship" league opens up the possibility of a whole host of different schools - New Hampshire, Maine, Villanova, and perhaps others.

Boy, wouldn't it have been nice to have closure - one way or another - on the scholarship issue last December?

Fox 94
September 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
The conversation would go something like this:

PL COMMISH: "Good news; the presidents have given me the authority to reconsider Marist's application."

MARIST AD: "That's great, but I'm not certain we'd want to bring all of our sports, especially basketball."

PL COMMISH: "You'd have to"

MARIST AD: "OK."

Maybe.

I know there are a lot of Marist Alums very happy with the basketball programs in the MAAC. I think in the end you are right, for Marist to be aligned with the high academic schools of the PL would be too enticing to the for the administration to pass by, maybe Marist has already considered this and would jump quickly as you say.

Franks Tanks
September 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Maybe.

I know there are a lot of Marist Alums very happy with the basketball programs in the MAAC. I think in the end you are right, for Marist to be aligned with the high academic schools of the PL would be too enticing to the for the administration to pass by, maybe Marist has already considered this and would jump quickly as you say.

PL basketball does not mean the Marist B-ball program will fall off a cliff. Bucknell was ranked in the top 25 while a member of the PL, and you will have a strong and very local rivalry with Army.

Fox 94
September 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Our men's program already has!

I doubt any conference would want them in their current state.

Franks Tanks
September 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Our men's program already has!

I doubt any conference would want them in their current state.

Marist cares a lot about baskatball. You will be back soon.

LUHawker
September 23rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
All along I've thought that it's Marist's men's and women's basketball programs that make Marist such an attractive draw for the PL should they remain at this "sorta-non-scholarship" level. But if the Red Foxes just want football-only, I don't think it will happen.

And... would Marist suddenly embrace a league that, until very recently, thought it was "too cool" to add Marist? That's an extremely open question. I'm not sure Marist would accept even if offered.

Again, with the huge caveat that the PL remain "non-scholarship" for years to come, the best possible course of action for the League IMO would be to pursue Marist and Loyola (MD) as full Patriot League members (keeping in mind that Loyola could very well start a football program - they have the facilities to do it). But again, becoming a "scholarship" league opens up the possibility of a whole host of different schools - New Hampshire, Maine, Villanova, and perhaps others.

Boy, wouldn't it have been nice to have closure - one way or another - on the scholarship issue last December?

OH NO! Please no more talk of Marist to the Patriot League again!

Fox 94
September 23rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Agreed.

Please talk of Johns Hopkins, RPI, Hamilton, Amherst etc...

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM

But I do not see it happening putting aside the snob factor that the PL has towards Marist there is no getting around the fact that our endowment is much smaller than any other school currently in the PL and the $$$ available to invest in the program would always have us at a competitive disadvantage.

The endowment thing is what it is - but many times in the real world, that is not nearly as important as a long-term commitment to growing it and spending its product wisely. The reality is that Marist turns out good graduates who succeed and make substantial contributions to society, and the school is very much trending up. To me, that makes Marist a reasonable candidate. As far as the football dollars are concerned, my only suggestion is to look at Georgetown. While their facilities need completion yesterday, the fact is that little by little, even in an underfunded state, they seem to be reaching competitiveness, just as Fordham did beginning in the late 1990's.

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Agreed.

Please talk of Johns Hopkins, RPI, Hamilton, Amherst etc...

Union, Gettysburg, but let's be real. This shakedown for the large conferences may be a blessing in disguise for the Patriot League. So I'm sticking with Marist and VMI.

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM

LFN, I really, truly think Villanova is not ever going to join the PL for football.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 23rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
That PL-beat reporter from Allentown said out loud something I had been wondering about. There are other signals that the Council of Presidents may take up scholarships at its 2011 meeting. Scheduling, both confirmed and rumored, for both the Patriot League and the IL has taken a more expansive appearance and with the not-so-minor move of the Lafayette AD off to an athletic development post, adoption seems more immanent. Maybe they felt they needed to give the Ivies a 'heads up'... Ken Z noted a while back on the Bucknell board that as merit aid has been added to various sports, certain sports, like field hockey, are yet to be included. Those sports could form a pairing with the addition of merit aid in football, As the realignment pachinko game continues, the lethargy of the COP might be broken, however briefly to move this structural move and add scholarships now. I doubt that Ms. Carolyn will be swamped in applications but it allows for the possibility of picking up a few new members that have been previously embarassed either by a failed membership application. Good luck everyone this weekend.