PDA

View Full Version : The South Dakota fight song played by the Cal Poly Band

daneboy
September 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
South Dakota came to Cal Poly yesterday and before the game started, the Cal Poly band played the Jackrabbit's fight song. I guess in the overall scheme of things this isn't really a big deal, but for me, it was a great show of sportsmanship. Isn't this really what college sports should be about? This was in stark contrast to the few Poly students that booed the Jackrabbits as the came on to the field. I am not sure, but after seeing all but 3 Poly home games since the mid-70's and bleeding Green and Gold, winning in itself does not seem as important as it did in the past. All I really look for is seeing the teams do their best and if one team doesn't score as much as the other, well, if they did their best, then they are winners too. So, thanks to the Poly Band--The Pride of the Pacific for the class they showed in welcoming the South Dakota St. Jackrabbits and their fans to Calif. and for giving an older fan a sense that there is still hope...xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)

Redhawk2010
September 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM
When Eastern Illinois played the University of Illinois a few years ago, U of I's band played the EIU fight song before the game as a part of their pre-game show. It was pretty cool..

bojeta
September 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
My wife and I also thought that was a great show of sportsmanship and we said the same thing about that small group on the lower right side of the student section that showed no class.

BlueGoldAg
September 19th, 2011, 12:17 AM
That's a classy act by Cal Poly.

At UC Davis, the PA announcer always introduces the opposing teams to the fans by saying, (for example) "Now please welcome onto the field our guests, the Cal Poly Mustangs." And, as Poly enters the field after the half, he will again say, "Now please welcome back onto the field, our guests, the Cal Poly Mustangs." The same holds true for all of our opponents in all of our sports. I always thought that was classy thing to do as well. Maybe other schools do the same...?

coover
September 19th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I am proud to be a Mustang!

NC Aggie
September 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
South Dakota came to Cal Poly yesterday and before the game started, the Cal Poly band played the Jackrabbit's fight song. I guess in the overall scheme of things this isn't really a big deal, but for me, it was a great show of sportsmanship. Isn't this really what college sports should be about? This was in stark contrast to the few Poly students that booed the Jackrabbits as the came on to the field. I am not sure, but after seeing all but 3 Poly home games since the mid-70's and bleeding Green and Gold, winning in itself does not seem as important as it did in the past. All I really look for is seeing the teams do their best and if one team doesn't score as much as the other, well, if they did their best, then they are winners too. So, thanks to the Poly Band--The Pride of the Pacific for the class they showed in welcoming the South Dakota St. Jackrabbits and their fans to Calif. and for giving an older fan a sense that there is still hope...xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)xnodx;)

...and to think a generation ago they BA'd the Aggie band-uh. I,m sure there are 2 sides to that story and Aggie band was banned from playing for like a decade as SLO..... Maybe a softer, kinder generation?