PDA

View Full Version : FAMU, SU Sign 10-Year Deal

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
10-year home and home deal between Southern and Florida A&M has been signed by the two institutions. That basically gives Southern only one game to fill their schedule each year starting in 2007 (pending the 12th game addition).

This rivalry is a long-standing one. The two teams played from 1946 til 2001 before taking a breather. FAMU has said they'd like to play a SWAC team at home each year...

FAMU, Southern revive rivalry
By Heath A. Smith
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Florida A&M and Southern plan to renew their rivalry in football starting in 2007.

FAMU athletic director Nelson Townsend confirmed the news Saturday at the Orange and Green game.

Townsend said the schools have agreed to a 10-year home-and-home contract starting with FAMU traveling to Southern in 2007.

Townsend said he was very interested in adding other schools from the SWAC to future FAMU schedules.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060415/BREAKINGNEWS/604150337

SU Jag
April 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Its on!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Now if we can get Tenn. St. to do the same thing.:D :D

SU vs Famu =$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
SU vs Tenn St =$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

McNeese75
April 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
xcoffeex

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Strange, I posted something that was deleted...

My questions from that post...

1) Why was this series cancelled in the first place? Sounds like it was pretty huge in the past.

2) What are the chances of this being televised? I know most HBCU games are on ESPNU. Any chance it will be on the 'Deuce'?

HIU 93
April 17th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Strange, I posted something that was deleted...

My questions from that post...

1) Why was this series cancelled in the first place? Sounds like it was pretty huge in the past.

2) What are the chances of this being televised? I know most HBCU games are on ESPNU. Any chance it will be on the 'Deuce'?

1. There were scheduling issues that made the game impossible o schedule for a few years, especially with FAMU attempting to go Div. I-A.

2. It is televised in Florida. It is a big enough game to be televised on ESPN2, and it should. It is usually very competitive and there is always a sold out crowd.

SU Jag
April 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
xcoffeex

Care to explain?

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 17th, 2006, 12:23 PM
The SU and famu series is what college football is all about. These 2 schools can't stand each other. From the football team, to the band, cheerleaders, and fan bases.

Things that happen during the series

1978- The game was held in Miami. While SU band was marching in the stadium someone was firing a bb gun at them.

19 (happen on more than 1 occassion) - While visiting Mumford Stadium, the windows were broken out of the busses that Famu band was traveling in.

199 - Coach Billy Joe refused to send game tape.

1997- Famu sold SU bands seats. Famu won 33-3.

1999-Billy Joe refuses to send game tape. Pete and Billy Joe having a war of words in the papers. Pete says someone is going to get embarrased. Famu oversold Bragg stadium and Thousands of ticket holding Jags weren't allowed in stadium. SU entered the game undefeated and ranked #3 in the Nation and lost 65-18. Famu was still throwing bombs, with less than a minute left in the game.

2000- Famu won at Mumford 50-49, last second score, on some very,very questionable calls.

2001- SU won in OT at Tally Ho. SU fans charged the field ,took down goal post, and danced on the rattler head at the 50. Sprinklers were turned on to SU fans.

McNeese75
April 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Care to explain?

Sure SOS, its all about the benjamins. :rotateh:

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM
You wouldn't understand the SU vs Famu series. Its 5 pages of smack, on meacfans.com, and the game isn't until 2007.xlolx

SU Jag
April 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I remember the 2001 game like it was yesterday! Their is a whole lot of bad blood between us and FAMU.:nod:

SU Jag
April 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about!xcoffeex

McNeese75
April 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about!xcoffeex

Yeah Right!!:rolleyes:

SU Jag
April 17th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah Right!!:rolleyes:

Explain! All you got to do is explain yourself! Stop running from the dicussion. Are you mad that we're playing FAMU instead of yall?

McNeese75
April 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Explain! All you got to do is explain yourself! Stop running from the dicussion. Are you mad that we're playing FAMU instead of yall?

No, I am not mad about SU not playing McNeese. Personally I could care less if that thought is ever entertained by either school. There are a lot of McFans who are pretty bitter about the game cancellation last year without agreeing to reschedule but I am definitly NOT one of those.

We came to your house with a very average (below average for us) team and we all saw what happened. I would rather travel to Maine and lose money but play a good team rather than listen to all the BS about the Jag Nation and how much they are doing for us by agreeing to play in LC, yada yada yada.

My comment was directed at the $$$$$$$$$$ signs accompanying the post regarding wanting to add Tenn St in addition to FAMU. Therefore "its all about the benjamins!!! :nod:

SU Jag
April 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM
No, I am not mad about SU not playing McNeese. Personally I could care less if that thought is ever entertained by either school. There are a lot of McFans who are pretty bitter about the game cancellation last year without agreeing to reschedule but I am definitly NOT one of those.

We came to your house with a very average (below average for us) team and we all saw what happened. I would rather travel to Maine and lose money but play a good team rather than listen to all the BS about the Jag Nation and how much they are doing for us by agreeing to play in LC, yada yada yada.

My comment was directed at the $$$$$$$$$$ signs accompanying the post regarding wanting to add Tenn St in addition to FAMU. Therefore "its all about the benjamins!!! :nod:

No its all about tradition and getting the match-ups to fire up the student body and the alumni. Big rilvary games, you dont understand that though. How big games use to be before the conference came out with this weak azz 9-game mandate. Its all about BIG ATMOSPHERE! Do you know how many fans a Tennessee State/Southern game would draw? You know how much hype and media attention that it would get? No you dont, you're just blabing on about nothing!

SU Jag
April 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Dont wanna hear it because its true! Yall have never,ever seen fans like ours. McNeese fans light up talk radio stations after the SU/McNeese game talking about how great our fans were, dont B.S yourself!

McNeese75
April 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
No its all about tradition and getting the match-ups to fire up the student body and the alumni. Big rilvary games, you dont understand that though. How big games use to be before the conference came out with this weak azz 9-game mandate. Its all about BIG ATMOSPHERE! Do you know how many fans a Tennessee State/Southern game would draw? You know how much hype and media attention that it would get? No you dont, you're just blabing on about nothing!

Jag, I do understand about your traditions, etc. I also understand what a "BIG ATMOSPHERE" is and granted those games are big for your school and conferece but not most fans of teams that compete for the national championship which I follow. I really don't care how many people the TS and SU game would draw. It would would draw highlights in the local media for both teams and that would be about it. I can promise you, the majority of posters on this board (after all, this is where we are) will be more interested and pay more attention to a home game in a small stadium between two top 10 I-AA schools.

I'm through debating these issues with you. I made my comment, I explained it and I still stand by it. Enjoy your $$BIG ATMOSPHERE$$ and good luck this year.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Dont wanna hear it because its true! Yall have never,ever seen fans like ours. McNeese fans light up talk radio stations after the SU/McNeese game talking about how great our fans were, dont B.S yourself!

How great your fans are, but not how great your teams are! xlolx Couldn't resist! Okay, back to McNeese-Southern smack...

Quite frankly, I do agree that this game is about the $$$, though that's just one aspect, one piece of the puzzle. This game has been overly successful before and has been good to both schools. Why else would this rivalry that came to a stop get a kick in the bum and get rolling again? It's guaranteed sell-outs in Florida and in Louisiana...

McNeese75
April 17th, 2006, 09:51 PM

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your fans were very nice but certainly not any better than those from Delaware, Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, Grambling, SELU, Sam Houston State, etc that I have had the opportunity to tailgate with.

I had the opportunity to vist Statesboro last year for the Georgia Southern game. Believe me, I was tingling with anticipation I walked into that stadium by the 6 national championship flags. That tingle was not there in 2004 when I visited Mumford.

Only one of us here is BS ing ouselves and it isn't me :D

McNeese75
April 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM
How great your fans are, but not how great your teams are! xlolx Couldn't resist! Okay, back to McNeese-Southern smack...

Quite frankly, I do agree that this game is about the $$$, though that's just one aspect, one piece of the puzzle. This game has been overly successful before and has been good to both schools. Why else would this rivalry that came to a stop get a kick in the bum and get rolling again? It's guaranteed sell-outs in Florida and in Louisiana...

I agree, it will be a sellout and a good thing for those two schools.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I had the opportunity to vist Statesboro last year for the Georgia Southern game. Believe me, I was tingling with anticipation I walked into that stadium by the 6 national championship flags. That tingle was not there in 2004 when I visited Mumford.

First off, the majority of our fans were not excited to play McNeese. That was actually, one of the worst tailgating turnouts of the season.Im not taking anything away from McNeese but our fans just don't get excited to play pwc's. You wouldn't understand. Come to SU vs Jackson, Alcorn, Bama St., AAMU, or homecoming to see what SU tailgating is about.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM

First off, the majority of our fans were not excited to play McNeese. That was actually, one of the worst tailgating turnouts of the season.Im not taking anything away from McNeese but our fans just don't get excited to play pwc's. You wouldn't understand. Come to SU vs Jackson, Alcorn, Bama St., AAMU, or homecoming to see what SU tailgating is about.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM
SU lost 15 projected starters ,weeks before the season started due to all kind of things. SU started playing good around the 5th week of the season.

GAD
April 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Jag, I do understand about your traditions, etc. I also understand what a "BIG ATMOSPHERE" is and granted those games are big for your school and conferece but not most fans of teams that compete for the national championship which I follow. I really don't care how many people the TS and SU game would draw. It would would draw highlights in the local media for both teams and that would be about it. I can promise you, the majority of posters on this board (after all, this is where we are) will be more interested and pay more attention to a home game in a small stadium between two top 10 I-AA schools.

I'm through debating these issues with you. I made my comment, I explained it and I still stand by it. Enjoy your $$BIG ATMOSPHERE$$ and good luck this year.
FAMU does compete for national championships as a matter of fact I think they have one more than McNeese has

McNeese75
April 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I think we are getting back into an area that has been discussed numerous times on this board and that is the difference in how fans of pwc's and hbc's view a football game. In my opinion, the pwc's are all about watching good football whereas the hbc's are more into the "Big Atmosphere" scenario which includes the tailgating and the bands, etc. I am not smacking you here, it is just my opinion. And who knows, maybe some day I will get the opportunity to see one of the games you are referring to.

McNeese75
April 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM
SU lost 15 projected starters ,weeks before the season started due to all kind of things. SU started playing good around the 5th week of the season.

:nono: The cowboys were taken to the woodshed by nearly everyone they played that year by big numbers. We were a very weak team and had no problem with your team in your stadium. SDSU in their first year in transition to I-AA came in from the northland and did the same.

McNeese75
April 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM
FAMU does compete for national championships as a matter of fact I think they have one more than McNeese has

And that says NOTHING for SU!! At least FAMU plays for the chips

bigchocolate
April 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I think we are getting back into an area that has been discussed numerous times on this board and that is the difference in how fans of pwc's and hbc's view a football game. In my opinion, the pwc's are all about watching good football whereas the hbc's are more into the "Big Atmosphere" scenario which includes the tailgating and the bands, etc. I am not smacking you here, it is just my opinion. And who knows, maybe some day I will get the opportunity to see one of the games you are referring to.

One of the beautiful things about this forum is that it allows a very diverse audience to interface and share. I have attached a clip that is not football, for this I ask your forgiveness, but it will better allow you to understand the relationship, pride, and support extended to HBCU bands. The clip doesn't have audio representative of this band sound quality but please give up a few moments.:smiley_wi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydSOCPD_1oQ

McNeese75
April 18th, 2006, 09:45 PM
One of the beautiful things about this forum is that it allows a very diverse audience to interface and share. I have attached a clip that is not football, for this I ask your forgiveness, but it will better allow you to understand the relationship, pride, and support extended to HBCU bands. The clip doesn't have audio representative of this band sound quality but please give up a few moments.:smiley_wi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydSOCPD_1oQ

I have seen several HBCU bands in action live (Grambling, Southern, Alcorn State) and they always deliver a great performance. I loved the movie Drumline :)

mikebigg
April 18th, 2006, 11:03 PM
xcoffeex
xlolx xlolx xlolx

SU Jag
April 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hey Mike, is Bama State yalls homecomming this year?

bluedog
April 19th, 2006, 05:47 PM
xcoffeex

Man for somebody that doesn't care you sure never miss an oppurtunity to stick your nose into SU business. Bruh just admit you're still p!ss because McNeese didn't get to see the big MONEY game they were counting on.

Everbody on this board knows that you are already.

mikebigg
April 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Mike, is Bama State yalls homecomming this year?

Touche' ...not sure. They got us the last time they were our homecoming opponent 2 years ago. We had them, but Spears decided that Ab Kuaan's 10 carries for 110 yards at the half was working to good (lol).

McNeese75
April 19th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Man for somebody that doesn't care you sure never miss an oppurtunity to stick your nose into SU business. Bruh just admit you're still p!ss because McNeese didn't get to see the big MONEY game they were counting on.

Everbody on this board knows that you are already.

Noooooooooooo, I might be a little upset we didn't get to kick SU's azz again. Were done with all that, go back to your rock xidiotx

bluedog
April 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Noooooooooooo, I might be a little upset we didn't get to kick SU's azz again. Were done with all that, go back to your rock xidiotx

Really? Were you as equally upset win McNeese punked out and refuse to continuing the baseball series. Or the basketball series for that matter.

Score by Innings R H E
-------------------------------------------
Southern............ 102 302 010 - 9 11 1
McNeese State....... 000 220 000 - 4 9 1

Score by Innings R H E
McNeese State....... 100 000 000 - 1 6 2
Southern............ 200 101 02X - 6 11 1

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 19th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Really? Were you as equally upset win McNeese punked out and refuse to continuing the baseball series. Or the basketball series for that matter.

Score by Innings R H E

Score by Innings R H E
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SU Jag
April 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:eek: :eek: :eek:

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
What's with all this SLC baseball smack when the SWAC is 1-13 this year? It's not like anyone is mentioning Arkansas-Pine Bluff no-showing a scheduled doubleheader against the Houston Cougars softball team? :)

Easy wins
The Houston Cougars recorded two wins by forfeit last weekend when Arkansas Pine-Bluff failed to show on Sunday for a doubleheader scheduled at Cougar Softball Stadium.

There apparently was some confusion on the part of Arkansas Pine-Bluff, which was in town last weekend for a series against Texas Southern on Friday and Saturday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3790903.html

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
What's with all this SLC baseball smack when the SWAC is 1-13 this year? It's not like anyone is mentioning Arkansas-Pine Bluff no-showing a scheduled doubleheader against the Houston Cougars softball team? :)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3790903.html
Dude you must have some kind of SWAC fetish.xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
8 pages of smack and the game is only a year and eight months away.xlolx

http://community.meacfans.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/5891060022

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Dude you must have some kind of SWAC fetish.xlolx

Not at all...if you can deal smack, you can take it. I don't see how this thread turned into an anti-SLC, anti-McNeese thread when you have this great rivalry of FAMU vs Southern returning...

Went to the Southern page and saw they had a poll in which individuals could vote on whom they wanted SU to play. While I did vote for Northwestern St, FAMU was by far the runaway winner...

McNeese75
April 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Score by Innings R H E

Score by Innings R H E

Baseball?????? Basketball????? All you can come back with is baseball and basketball???? xlolx

Come on guys, that is really weak (or is it Weeks :D who is doing really well these days), I know you can do better than that. :rotateh:

I suppose you expect me to believe or take your word that somewhere in time McNeese has backed out of or refused to play SU in either of the BB's?? Well if it is so, simply provide a link to that proof because until you prove it, I really doubt it.

Oh yeah, the BB's go in the "Other Sports" thread by the way :rolleyes:

GAD
April 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Not at all...if you can deal smack, you can take it. I don't see how this thread turned into an anti-SLC, anti-McNeese thread when you have this great rivalry of FAMU vs Southern returning...

Went to the Southern page and saw they had a poll in which individuals could vote on whom they wanted SU to play. While I did vote for Northwestern St, FAMU was by far the runaway winner...
What Southern page??

bandl
April 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
What Southern page??

http://gojagsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sout-m-footbl-body.html

The poll is on the right side.

GAD
April 20th, 2006, 02:37 PM
http://gojagsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sout-m-footbl-body.html

The poll is on the right side.
Thanks Buddy

bandl
April 20th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks Buddy

No prob. Not trying to step on toes, just providing info.

I had a bit of trouble finding that site though...there are quite a few Southern University's in various cities. If you don't mind me asking...what city is this Southern University in?

GAD
April 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I had a bit of trouble finding that site though...there are quite a few Southern University's in various cities. If you don't mind me asking...what city is this Southern University in?
Baton Rouge, LA.

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM

There's another Southern in New Orleans (known as 'SUNO') that is in bad shape. They were in bad shape pre-Katrina and now are in more dire needs post-Katrina.

Oddly enough, they were the only HBCU of the three HBCUs in New Orleans that continued any form of sports this past spring with participation in mens' basketball, going 2-13 in the process.

http://www.suno.edu/

bandl
April 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM
in New Orleans that continued any form of sports this past spring with participation in mens' basketball,

I noticed that...came across one of the 'Southern' athletic pages and saw they only had a mens & women's basketball team. Didn't dawn on me until a few minutes later...."Duh...they were destroyed by Katrina." Unfortunate. :(

bluedog
April 21st, 2006, 12:48 AM

Also Shreveport La. Actually There are five schools... (Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center)the Law center, Shreveport, SUNO, SUBR & Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center .

Which equates to the largest HBUC system in America and the second largest in the State of Louisnana.

TexasTerror
April 21st, 2006, 07:06 AM
Which equates to the largest HBUC system in America and the second largest in the State of Louisnana.

Question...isn't there just three systems in Louisiana? I'm still learning about HigherEd here.

It's the Southern system obviously, the Louisiana system (ULL, NW St, ULM, etc) and the LSU system (LSU-Shreveport, LSU in Baton Rouge, etc). That correct?

mikebigg
April 21st, 2006, 11:33 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx Rollins, La.xlolx xlolx xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 22nd, 2006, 12:22 AM
Question...isn't there just three systems in Louisiana? I'm still learning about HigherEd here.

It's the Southern system obviously, the Louisiana system (ULL, NW St, ULM, etc) and the LSU system (LSU-Shreveport, LSU in Baton Rouge, etc). That correct?
Southern System(SU-BR,SU-NO,SU-Shreveport, SU-Law,SU-Agriculture)
LSU System(LSU-Eunice,LSU-Shreveport,Nicolls St.,LSU-BR,LSU-Law, LSU-Dental,etc.)
Louisiana System(Grambling, ULL, ULM, La Tech, SLU, McNeese)

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Rollins, La.xlolx xlolx xlolxxidiotx
Naw its considered Baker.

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Southern System(SU-BR,SU-NO,SU-Shreveport, SU-Law,SU-Agriculture)
LSU System(LSU-Eunice,LSU-Shreveport,Nicolls St.,LSU-BR,LSU-Law, LSU-Dental,etc.)
Louisiana System(Grambling, ULL, ULM, La Tech, SLU, McNeese)

According to the Nicholls St web site, they are a member of the Louisiana system. I didn't believe it when I saw it and sure enough, I checked...

http://www.nicholls.edu and http://www.uls.state.la.us/

arranger101
April 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Alright, let the fights...I mean games begin!!!!!
:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

bandl
April 23rd, 2006, 07:26 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Rollins, La.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sorry....I don't get the significance. Never heard of Rollins, LA. What school is there?

bluedog
April 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Sorry....I don't get the significance. Never heard of Rollins, LA. What school is there?

Don't pay him any attention he's still having issue because he went to school in a one horse town that have parades every eight years they win a bayou classic and that can only be located by given reference to a potato or former slave owner.