PDA

View Full Version : The dominoes start to fall

RichH2
September 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Just saw on ESPN Syracuse and PItt applied to join ACC while 2 Big 12 teams are looking to join BE if B12 folds. Is this a preview of what might happen with FCS?

eaglewraith
September 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Just saw on ESPN Syracuse and PItt applied to join ACC while 2 Big 12 teams are looking to join BE if B12 folds. Is this a preview of what might happen with FCS?

I think it's more of a precursor as to what's going to happen to all of Division 1.

If there are 4 superconferences that form, the money men will make it so that no other teams can take place in the "national championship." What you might see is a new divisional split basically. I'd wager that the upper parts of FCS would be aligned with the mid major FBS teams and form a new playoff while the BCS teams would implement a 4 team playoff amongst conference champions.

At least that would be a more favorable thing to happen. Once the dust settles on this it will be hard for anyone to move up in the future that might want to.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Georgetown has no other place to go.

JMUNJ08
September 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM

I feel for you guys as football is driving everything and, as it has been well-documented on here, G'town has all its chips in basketball...would hate to see G'town and the 'Cuse split. I consider that such a classic BIG EAST matchup

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I feel for you guys as football is driving everything and, as it has been well-documented on here, G'town has all its chips in basketball...would hate to see G'town and the 'Cuse split. I consider that such a classic BIG EAST matchup

These schools won't play each other again.

Conference-wise, Georgetown is a square peg in a lot of doomdsay scenarios--basketball is much too big for the smaller conferences and football is much too small for the bigger ones. Six different conferences already have a presence in DC/Balt (A-10, CAA, PL, MEAC, MAAC, NEC) and the Hoyas aren't a welcome fit for any of them. Independent, anyone?

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I think it's more of a precursor as to what's going to happen to all of Division 1.

If there are 4 superconferences that form, the money men will make it so that no other teams can take place in the "national championship." What you might see is a new divisional split basically. I'd wager that the upper parts of FCS would be aligned with the mid major FBS teams and form a new playoff while the BCS teams would implement a 4 team playoff amongst conference champions.

At least that would be a more favorable thing to happen. Once the dust settles on this it will be hard for anyone to move up in the future that might want to.

The sec and acc will be the only superconferences. Pitt and cuse wouldn't have applied to the acc without trying the richer and more stable big10 first, so it looks like the b1g will be sitting it out.

The idea of the poor and unstable big east raiding the much wealthier and slightly more stable big12 is a bit bizzarre. If anything, the big12 will stablize by picking up some bigeast scraps. TCU goes back to the mwc, which will get the bigeasts autobid.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
The idea of the poor and unstable big east raiding the much wealthier and slightly more stable big12 is a bit bizzarre. If anything, the big12 will stablize by picking up some bigeast scraps. TCU goes back to the mwc, which will get the bigeasts autobid.

1. The Big 12 cannot absorb seven Big East teams.

2. TCU isn't going back anywhere.

BisonFan02
September 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Whether the Big Ten wants to expand more or not (I've heard not), Big 12 teams like Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State make alot of sense playing with the likes of Iowa and Nebraska. I don't see it happening like I don't see Notre Dame ever joining, but it makes you think....

BearsCountry
September 17th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I wonder what the fall out down the line will be ie A-10, CAA, America East. This could be the time that AE football could form if Boston University gets out of the league.

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
1. The Big 12 cannot absorb seven Big East teams.

2. TCU isn't going back anywhere.
Where did I say 7 teams? There aren't even 7 to choose from. Tcu/louisville/cincy/rutgers/uconn/usf.

Where exactly do you think tcu will land? Noone else will take them.

I guess the bigeast could take temple back, and accept nova.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Where did I say 7 teams? There aren't even 7 to choose from. Tcu/louisville/cincy/rutgers/uconn/usf.

West Virginia, we hardly knew ye.

Seahawks Fan
September 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
What happens to Rutgers? Seems like only yesterday the rumors were they were Big 10 bound. Now they are out in the cold.

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM
West Virginia, we hardly knew ye.

Pretty sure I covered that one. Or maybe that was the post I accidently deleted. Anyway wvu will probably apply to the sec/acc within days. I doubt the sec can find a better school/program to be its 14th.

Basically I consider wvu to be effectively taken already.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Basically I consider wvu to be effectively taken already.

Still, no one's calling the Hoyas.

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
What happens to Rutgers? Seems like only yesterday the rumors were they were Big 10 bound. Now they are out in the cold.
The mac, conusa, or some eviscerated remnant of the bigeast.

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Still, no one's calling the Hoyas.

Basketball schools won't leave the bigeast. Georgetown shouldn't have much to worry about.

BisonFan02
September 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Basketball schools won't leave the bigeast. Georgetown shouldn't have much to worry about.

Pitt and Syracuse applied to the ACC...those aren't basketball first schools? (Yes, Pitt football has been competitive)

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 02:03 PM

A program like Georgetown doesn't pay the bills playing Providence and Seton Hall.

And then there's this Patriot League thing. A few of our Lafayette posters are taking a collection for the torches and pitchforks after 2012.

ccd494
September 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM
A program like Georgetown doesn't pay the bills playing Providence and Seton Hall.

And then there's this Patriot League thing. A few of our Lafayette posters are taking a collection for the torches and pitchforks after 2012.

What about St. John's, Villanova and Marquette?

Georgetown, those 3, PC, Seton Hall, DePaul, maybe add Temple, Xavier, St. Joe's?, that's not awful. It's not the Big East of yore, but its better than Memphis and Gonzaga face in conference every year.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
What about St. John's, Villanova and Marquette?

Georgetown, those 3, PC, Seton Hall, DePaul, maybe add Temple, Xavier, St. Joe's?, that's not awful. It's not the Big East of yore, but its better than Memphis and Gonzaga face in conference every year.

I said this on the Georgetown board, so I'll repeat it here: The diminished revenue from playing these welterweight schools would not maintain Georgetown's athletic program as we know it. What's attendance at Verizon Center for a game with St. Joe's?

And for those who are unaware, Georgetown doesn't have an on-campus option. It's 60 year old gym is no longer capable of hosting home games of more than 2,000 people. And the parking lot to hold those fans is gone.

Well, at least we've got that football field project going...

URMite
September 17th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Instead of St. Joe's, Dayton might work better.

ccd494
September 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I said this on the Georgetown board, so I'll repeat it here: The diminished revenue from playing these welterweight schools would not maintain Georgetown's athletic program as we know it. What's attendance at Verizon Center for a game with St. Joe's?

Roughly the same as it is for a game with South Florida? You don't sustain the program playing either St. Joe's or South Florida. You sustain it playing Villanova and Marquette and (a hopefully resurgent) St. John's. And don't forget Notre Dame, if they don't join an all sports conference (and they likely won't), they'll still be around. Sure, losing Syracuse and Pitt and UConn and WVU and Louisville would stink, but it isn't the end of the world. The Catholic non-BCS football schools will be okay.

JMG1MON
September 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM
There will not be only 2 Super Conferences. The Big 12 and the BE are finished as we know it. OU/OSU are not staying in the B12. They are going to the P12. The question becomes, will they stay at 14 or just jump to 16. ACC just upped their exit fee to $20 million, so I doubt any team will be leaving. WVU is probably going to the SEC. Then, it becomes interesting. What does the B10 do, and IMO, it all depends on ND. With the BE is imploding, they have to realize their sweet deal with the BE is done for. The question then becomes, will they stay indy and have the rest of their olympic sports in a conference with the non-football playing BE schools (or ACC as I've read that rumor as well), or actually join a conference in full (B10).

Someone asked about Rutgers. Who knows, half of the Rutgers rivals board is in panic mode, the rest are still confident they will wind up in the ACC or B10.

GaSouthern
September 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM
If I were the ACC then i'd add USF, SU, Pitt and UCF and split the divisions north and south.

whitey
September 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I would think Rutgers and UCONN have a much better shot at the ACC than WVU. The ACC cares much more about academics and I don't think WVU is a good fit there. WVU to the SEC seems much more likely.

whitey
September 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
If I were the ACC then i'd add USF, SU, Pitt and UCF and split the divisions north and south.

No way. Why would they add USF and UCF when they could add Rutgers and UCONN and bring in those tri-state area TV sets? They already have two Florida schools in the conference.

North: BC, UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland, UVA, VT, PITT, Cuse
South: UNC, Duke, WF, FSU, Miami, GT, NC State, Clemson

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Here's the problem with 16 team football conferences--no one is ever happy. If I'm at a Big Four school, I'm suddenly a lot less relevant in a 16 team ACC.

Dane96
September 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
NM

Dane96
September 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Ummm...they already have split divisions. But don't let the facts get in the way. Also, FSU is unlikely to allow all of USF and UCF into their realm. Those are two schools within three hours of one another (USF and UCF less than 45 min from each other) at max distance.

TheBisonator
September 17th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I pray to God that NDSU will stay in the 2nd highest level of college football when this is all done with.

GaSouthern
September 17th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Ummm...they already have split divisions. But don't let the facts get in the way. Also, FSU is unlikely to allow all of USF and UCF into their realm. Those are two schools within three hours of one another (USF and UCF less than 45 min from each other) at max distance.

UMMMMMMMM No, they do not have NORTH / SOUTH split divisions. Suck on my fact.

Dane96
September 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
No...but they have split divisions...so what the **** does it matter. Atlantic and Coastal vs. North and South. It doesnt matter who is in what division...it matters that there is a championship game, genius.

Drblankstare
September 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I pray to God that NDSU will stay in the 2nd highest level of college football when this is all done with.

I cannot envision anything happening that would make NDSU think that moving up is a good idea. Short of being offered a big ten spot and that's not happening.

Apphole
September 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Your schools are about to become division 2. My school will remain division 1.

Smitty
September 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM

I must have missed that invite that you have...

coover
September 17th, 2011, 09:29 PM

Your name says it all!

Go...gate
September 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I would think Rutgers and UCONN have a much better shot at the ACC than WVU. The ACC cares much more about academics and I don't think WVU is a good fit there. WVU to the SEC seems much more likely.

Rutgers really wanted the Big Ten.

whitey
September 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Rutgers will take what they can get at this point methinks. I guess I'm just trying to say that it would make a lot of sense for the ACC to gobble up Connecticut and Rutgers too. That would give them a presence in NY/NJ/CT and also basically kill the Big East football conference at the same time. It's not only good from an academic and athletic perspective but also a business perspective as well.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM
So would Georgetown and Villanova, but no one's calling.

JMG1MON
September 17th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Rutgers fans are at a point where they will take anything they can get (ACC/B10/newly reconfigured BE or a BE/B12 merge). There are many, myself included that have a real bad feeling about this, despite what some of the RU insiders are saying.

dgtw
September 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Rutgers really wanted the Big Ten.

Yes, but the Big Ten didn't want them. I used to post on another board with some guy from Rutgers. He was insistant that the Big Ten should take them over Nebraska. He said Rutgers would give the big Ten the NYC market. I asked him how that would help since nobody in NYC cared about Rutgers football and it isn't a big college football market to begin with. Choosing a school with a great football tradition, a rabid fan base and a national name just didn't make sense to him. A visit to a Rutgers message board showed a lot of the same opinions.

If I'm the ACC, if I get Pitt and Syracuse, my next targets would be UConn and Louisville. There aren't any other football powers to take, so might as well go for basketball.

eaglewraith
September 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM

I must have missed that invite that you have...

This refers to the point I made earlier about a reclassification basically.

eaglewraith
September 17th, 2011, 11:10 PM
The sec and acc will be the only superconferences. Pitt and cuse wouldn't have applied to the acc without trying the richer and more stable big10 first, so it looks like the b1g will be sitting it out.

If this goes down the way it's looking, there's a lot of money to be made by 4 superconferences and it would allow them to be the only ones access to the "national championship."

If there's a lot of money to be made, Jim Delaney will make it happen.

Go...gate
September 17th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yes, but the Big Ten didn't want them. I used to post on another board with some guy from Rutgers. He was insistant that the Big Ten should take them over Nebraska. He said Rutgers would give the big Ten the NYC market. I asked him how that would help since nobody in NYC cared about Rutgers football and it isn't a big college football market to begin with. Choosing a school with a great football tradition, a rabid fan base and a national name just didn't make sense to him. A visit to a Rutgers message board showed a lot of the same opinions.

If I'm the ACC, if I get Pitt and Syracuse, my next targets would be UConn and Louisville. There aren't any other football powers to take, so might as well go for basketball.

Really not true: As a life-long Jerseyan and adjunct faculty at RU, I can say that lot of NJ people (not just RU Alumni) have cared about RU athletics for years. NYC metro area simply has many more entertainment options and two NFL squads, while Nebraska has football and that is pretty much it. Rutgers is also an older, more cosmpolitan and more academically prestigious school than Nebraska.

JMG1MON
September 17th, 2011, 11:45 PM

Big Ten's own study said that after ND, Rutgers would be the next best option. The study was released/leaked in March of 2010. The B10, IF it expands is a definite potential landing spot for RU. I'm just not convinced they are going to expand. I'm in the group of Rutgers fans that will take ACC or B10, whichever comes calling first. UCONN may not have a prayer of getting into ACC. They were the driving force behind the bogus lawsuit against the ACC in 2005. There are lots of rumors that ACC Presidents are still pissed about that. Louisville may not have the academic profile to get into the ACC, same as WVU. I'm not really sure on that though.

eaglewraith
September 18th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Looks like Pitt and Syracuse will be accepted to the ACC. Expect an announcement from the conference tomorrow.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM
If this goes down the way it's looking, there's a lot of money to be made by 4 superconferences and it would allow them to be the only ones access to the "national championship."

If there's a lot of money to be made, Jim Delaney will make it happen.who could the big 10 add that would improve its revenue/school? Maybe texas?

JMUNJ08
September 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Really not true: As a life-long Jerseyan and adjunct faculty at RU, I can say that lot of NJ people (not just RU Alumni) have cared about RU athletics for years. NYC metro area simply has many more entertainment options and two NFL squads, while Nebraska has football and that is pretty much it. Rutgers is also an older, more cosmpolitan and more academically prestigious school than Nebraska.

I have had the experience to speak of both sides here. SOME people in Jersey care about RU athletics but the problem is they have never been terribly relevant EVER. I for one have wanted them to be big time with a hostile home gym and Greg roaming the sidelines in football. Has not happened yet and they aren't water cooler talk in NYC. However, I have worked in Nebraska the past few years and it is scary how much the 5 yo kids and 80 yo ladies know about big red. The whole state wears red on Saturdays and their game day experience gave me goosebumps. I do not think the Big 10 could have done a better job when they were looking for an athletic and academic fit for a school.

FargoBison
September 18th, 2011, 01:05 AM
who could the big 10 add that would improve its revenue/school? Maybe texas?

Notre Dame, that said they'd have to add a few other schools to force ND's hand.

Cocky
September 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
All of these academic meccas: Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Nebraska and any others mentioned. Ive never viewed any of these as great academic schools. As an employer, there are only a few that open my eyes and most are Ivy.

Steve81
September 18th, 2011, 08:28 AM
There has been a scenerio posted in response to FBS football realignment that could affect the CAA. Here is the link. http://www.bcsguru.com/2011_bcs_realignment.htm

Big 12 - Bring the old Southwest Conference band back together, replacing A&M, OU and OSU with TCU, SMU and BYU, and possibly adding Houston and Tulsa to round it back up to 12

Pac-14 - Add OU and OSU

Big Ten - Do nothing

SEC - Add West Virginia and Texas A&M

ACC - Add Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers and UConn to become the only 16-team conference

Big East - Add Central Florida, Memphis, East Carolina, Temple and have Villanova move up to D-IA to form an eight-team conference

In this scenario, the Big 12 may barely have enough juice to preserve its automatic bid in the BCS. The Big East likely would lose its, leaving just five auto-bid conferences.

What makes this so interesting is CUSA will be loosing 5 teams and causing CUSA to raid the Sun Belt and the MAC. Can see the possiblity of the 49ers would then be back in CUSA and can see App St, James Madison, Georgia ST and ODU moving up to FBS Football in CUSA. This will be a large blow to CAA. Georgia Southern could be an other possibilities.

Cocky
September 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Some old time schools appear to headed down rather than new schools up. The top (athletic money) 60-70 universities are taking their ball to another playground. Instead of move ups filling the low level FBS conferences it will be fall downs. The MWC, CUSA, MAC, WAC and SB appear to have a chance at Iowa St, K State, UCONN, Cincy, Kansas, Baylor and TCU will be doing a U turn.

superman7515
September 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
UConn Aggressively Seeking ACC Move (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6989031/uconn-huskies-aggressively-seeking-acc-move-source-says)

UConn president Susan Herbst is aggressively pursuing membership in the ACC to become the 15th or 16th member institution in the conference, according to a source with direct knowledge of UConn's situation.

According to the source, Herbst was having conversations recently but in light of Pittsburgh's and Syracuse's defections from the Big East, the talks have accelerated in the last 48 hours.

In a statement earlier Sunday, Herbst said that although UConn was "a proud charter member of the Big East" the school was staying "actively involved in discussions with our counterparts from around the country to ensure the successful long-term future of our university's athletic program.".......

rufus
September 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Apparently UConn and Rutgers are both seeking ACC membership. If the Big East loses four schools and the Big 12 survives, you can expect what's left of the Big East to conduct an all out raid of CUSA (plus Temple).

If the Big 12 survives, expect the remaining CUSA schools to go after the top Sun Belt schools and some FCS programs looking to make the transition.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
xbowxxcoffeex
All of these academic meccas: Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Nebraska and any others mentioned. Ive never viewed any of these as great academic schools. As an employer, there are only a few that open my eyes and most are Ivy.pittsburg has an elite medschool/med research school.

I'm glad that you can look doen on these schools from the high vantage of jacksonville state.

Also, being an employer gives you infinite wisdom and understanding.

CrusaderBob
September 18th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Apparently UConn and Rutgers are both seeking ACC membership. If the Big East loses four schools and the Big 12 survives, you can expect what's left of the Big East to conduct an all out raid of CUSA (plus Temple).

If 2 more Big East FBS Schools leave, will the remaining 7 non-FBS schools vote to bring in 4 new members??

I doubt it. I think it is entirely possible that the 7 would vote to no longer sponsor FBS Football as a conference and take their ball, the Big East name, and brand back to its roots as a basketball conference.

Appfan_in_CAAland
September 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM
The Big East as a football conference is dead, but I now think the Big XII is going to survive. Follow me here:

1-Next the ACC will add UConn and Rutgers - leaving Cincy, Louisville, WVU, USF, and TCU.
2-OU, OSU, and TT move to the Pac ?? along with BYU (best option for the Pac12, unless they give in to their religious bigotry then it will be Air Force). No one wants Texas because of the Longhorn Network so they're stuck. BigXII will have 6 - Texas, Baylor, KU, KSU, Mizzu, and ISU.
3-BigXII (now 6) admits the 5 remaining BigEast schools and either UCF or SMU to go to twelve (Both as well as Houston if they want 14)
4-BigEast adds Xavier and remains a good basketball conference.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Update from Chip Brown... UT, Tech, OU and OSU to Pac-12 is looking the direction...

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are in talks with the Pac-12, multiple sources tell Orangebloods.com.

A source close to Texas and another one of the four schools says if Texas was to go to the Pac-12 it would be allowed to keep a "modified" version of the network.

Texas would be allowed to keep most, if not all, of its third-tier revenue under a formula being devised as long as the other schools in the Pac-16 meet a certain threshold of revenue, sources said.

As Orangebloods.com reported earlier today, the network would likely be renamed the Pac-16 Texas Network.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266871

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM
The Big East as a football conference is dead, but I now think the Big XII is going to survive. Follow me here:

1-Next the ACC will add UConn and Rutgers - leaving Cincy, Louisville, WVU, USF, and TCU.
2-OU, OSU, and TT move to the Pac ?? along with BYU (best option for the Pac12, unless they give in to their religious bigotry then it will be Air Force). No one wants Texas because of the Longhorn Network so they're stuck. BigXII will have 6 - Texas, Baylor, KU, KSU, Mizzu, and ISU.
3-BigXII (now 6) admits the 5 remaining BigEast schools and either UCF or SMU to go to twelve (Both as well as Houston if they want 14)
4-BigEast adds Xavier and remains a good basketball conference.I agree with you on 1 and 4. I think the big 12 stays intact + houston byu or louisville (or maybe usf?). Wvu goes sec, leaving cinci, louisville and usf holding their hats, unless one or more gets picked up by the big12

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
If 2 more Big East FBS Schools leave, will the remaining 7 non-FBS schools vote to bring in 4 new members??

I doubt it. I think it is entirely possible that the 7 would vote to no longer sponsor FBS Football as a conference and take their ball, the Big East name, and brand back to its roots as a basketball conference.

Yes. We'll take em. Otherwise, Georgetown needs a new home.

DOME
September 18th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Big East will be done with FBS football and will try to bring in a solid mid mojor bball program...Butler?

Big 12 hold outs; ISU, MIZZ, KU, Kstate, Baylor will try to go after Boise St, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, TCU and maybe a couple surprises Rice? N. Illinois? Nevada? And struggle to hold onto their autobid and top tier status.

Cocky
September 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
xbowxxcoffeexpittsburg has an elite medschool/med research school.

I'm glad that you can look doen on these schools from the high vantage of jacksonville state.

Not looking down just not looking up. ,

JSU isnt an academic mecca either. There are lots of med and research universities.
Being an employer doesnt give you anything but the ability to make the decision. A degree from any B1G, ACC, BE, P12 or B12 school would carry the same weight.

Dane96
September 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM
xbowxxcoffeexpittsburg has an elite medschool/med research school.

This.

And add in Syracuse's top marketing/sales/advertising school (among other solid programs there) in the Country. You know...sales and marketing drive business growth, Cocky.

Rutgers is a ridiculously large university with fantastic programs but I disagree with many that view it as an Ivy of the Public's. It's pretty damn good however in many disciplines.

FargoBison
September 18th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Texas is going to be in the Pac 16, football as an indy would work but they can't risk putting the rest of their sports in a lower tier league which is what could happen to the Big 12. Notre Dame could end up facing the same problem.

Dane96
September 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Not looking down just not looking up. ,

JSU isnt an academic mecca either. There are lots of med and research universities.
Being an employer doesnt give you anything but the ability to make the decision. A degree from any B1G, ACC, BE, P12 or B12 school would carry the same weight.

First, it doesnt mean jack what the degree says. It's as good as getting you into an interview. Let's face it, but for "specialized programs" where you get that are required to move forward in your career, where your degree comes from is nonsense but for about 40 schools that carry serious cache.

A prime example of the over-inflation of the "college name" is North Carolina. Let me say this first- UNC is a fine academic institution that like every really good school has some great programs. That said, UNC's reputation in the North East comes from the fact it is extremely difficult to get into as a freshman...............................if you are from out-of-state.

They have a state-mandated entrance policy that limits how many students can come from out-of-state in any given academic freshman class. This gives them an aura of "wow...you went to UNC" circles for Non-North Carolinians. By virtue of this...they limit themselves to some bright out of state students in each particular region (for illustrative purposes only, let's say 10 kids from NY, 20 from CA...etc. These are made-up numbers).

But if you compare those students deferred to Soph year guaranteed transfer status (they offer this at UNC for top out-of-state kids) or to those out-of-state rejected students...the general population of UNC isn't exactly the VANDY, Northwestern, Duke's, IVY's, Stanford's...etc caliber student.

So in the end...this academic alignment and "view" to be among peers argument with College Sports is simply bull****. This is about cash money...plain and simple. It's why you have a Vandy in the SEC...or NW in the Big Ten...and Stanford in the Pac-Ten. They are light years ahead of their "peer" league members academically. Otherwise, they would form their own academic "Ivy Comparable" league.

Again, I don't care what your degree says...college prepares you for "life" skills...not business skills.

Dane96
September 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
And Cocky...I still love ya brother.....

Just hate when academic affiliation is a predictor of business success.

dgtw
September 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Some conferences need to get off their high horse about academic standards. This is an athletic league, not some sort of high brow debate club. Would admitting West Virginia suddenly downgrade the value of a Duke education?

Cocky
September 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
And Cocky...I still love ya brother.....

Just hate when academic affiliation is a predictor of business success.

I agree you just say it better than me.

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Some conferences need to get off their high horse about academic standards. This is an athletic league, not some sort of high brow debate club. Would admitting West Virginia suddenly downgrade the value of a Duke education?

Don't worry. Someday the West Virginias of the world will ask why they're letting Duke hang around in their clubhouse.

Dane96
September 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
DFW...honestly, where do you see our beloved Big East (Basketball only) going here? I am so dumbfounded by the lack of leadership at the BEAST top.

AppMan
September 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
When the smoke clears there will be four 18 team mega conferences. The Big East will be a basketball conference and the Big 8/12 will cease to exist. The four championship games will serve as the first round of a national playoff. Followed by a semi final and championship. Short, sweet and worth an unbelieveable amount of cash.

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
So, UMass and Temple jump the MAC ship and head over to the Big East if invited? Not saying that will actually happen.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
From TCU...

"I'm never surprised by anything in college athletics today," TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte said. "There are so many moves across the board."

Del Conte declined to speculate on how the changes would affect TCU, but he said he felt good about the quality of the athletic program and where it fits in the college landscape.

"All these things are out of our control right now," he said. "We feel great where we're at."

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/18/3375885/tcu-big-12-could-be-caught-in.html

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
So, UMass and Temple jump the MAC ship and head over to the Big East if invited? Not saying that will actually happen.

Welcome aboard! Good seats still available.

49RFootballNow
September 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
A prime example of the over-inflation of the "college name" is North Carolina. Let me say this first- UNC is a fine academic institution that like every really good school has some great programs. That said, UNC's reputation in the North East comes from the fact it is extremely difficult to get into as a freshman...............................if you are from out-of-state.

They have a state-mandated entrance policy that limits how many students can come from out-of-state in any given academic freshman class. This gives them an aura of "wow...you went to UNC" circles for Non-North Carolinians. By virtue of this...they limit themselves to some bright out of state students in each particular region (for illustrative purposes only, let's say 10 kids from NY, 20 from CA...etc. These are made-up numbers).

But if you compare those students deferred to Soph year guaranteed transfer status (they offer this at UNC for top out-of-state kids) or to those out-of-state rejected students...the general population of UNC isn't exactly the VANDY, Northwestern, Duke's, IVY's, Stanford's...etc caliber student.

So in the end...this academic alignment and "view" to be among peers argument with College Sports is simply bull****. This is about cash money...plain and simple. It's why you have a Vandy in the SEC...or NW in the Big Ten...and Stanford in the Pac-Ten. They are light years ahead of their "peer" league members academically. Otherwise, they would form their own academic "Ivy Comparable" league.

Again, I don't care what your degree says...college prepares you for "life" skills...not business skills.

This is funny because I've seen a bunch of folks from in this state complaining that Chapel Hill lets in too many out of state students.

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Welcome aboard! Good seats still available.

Funny you say that, because that exact quote is on the season ticket flyer I just received from UMass for the Mullins Center and Gillette Stadium.

dbackjon
September 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM

4-BigEast adds Xavier and remains a good basketball conference.

The Bigot Young University will never get a Pac-12 invite. The schools in the Pac-12 pride themselves on being diverse, open, and inclusive - everything BYU is not. When the Mormons funded Prop H8, they killed any chance of ever getting into the Pac-12, and rightfully so.

Dane96
September 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
This is funny because I've seen a bunch of folks from in this state complaining that Chapel Hill lets in too many out of state students.

It's funny because why?

I believe the out-of-state rate is 24% per law. Maybe slightly higher. But, my understanding is it is among the lowest such rate in the country (I forget the State with the lowest...it's not North Carolina).

Go...gate
September 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
This.

And add in Syracuse's top marketing/sales/advertising school (among other solid programs there) in the Country. You know...sales and marketing drive business growth, Cocky.

Rutgers is a ridiculously large university with fantastic programs but I disagree with many that view it as an Ivy of the Public's. It's pretty damn good however in many disciplines.

RU, one of the Colonial Colleges (along with W & M, Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Penn, Columbia, etc.) is another one that could easily have been Ivy, and, for many years prior to WWII, was very much considered in the class of the Ivies; however, the NJ Legislature wanted a State University and the rest is history.

Go...gate
September 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Holy Cross has a new opportunity to join the Big East, though. : )

Sader87
September 18th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Holy Cross has a new opportunity to join the Big East, though. : )

Scoff all you like (and it more than likely will never happen) but HC should join a "New" Big East in basketball with Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Villanova etc. while remaining in the PL in other sports. If Army and Navy can be independent in football (their premiere sport) while being in the PL in most everything else, why can't HC do the same in their premiere sport, basketball?

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
It's funny because why?

I believe the out-of-state rate is 24% per law. Maybe slightly higher. But, my understanding is it is among the lowest such rate in the country (I forget the State with the lowest...it's not North Carolina).
Most of the uc's are 98% californians. Berkeley and ucla are 75% calfornian.

Neighbor2
September 18th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Sader87,

Bob Cousy has been gone for a while now. With your current administration, HC will need to be satisfied with the Patriot League for ALL sports.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
First, it doesnt mean jack what the degree says. It's as good as getting you into an interview. Let's face it, but for "specialized programs" where you get that are required to move forward in your career, where your degree comes from is nonsense but for about 40 schools that carry serious cache.

I highly disagree. Let's say you took harvard, and they decided that 75% of harvards students had to come from mass. Would that mean your harvard education was now worse? Same faculty and staff, and still a very high quality student. Its interesting that a lot of people think that the quality of the education you get at harvard is basically junk when compared to its peer schools. Who cares though, their median student got a 32(!!!) on the act.

For some reason in the US we rate schools by their snob factor, not the actual quality of the education you get there. How is it a bad thing that states let students who got 26's on their acts get a top flight education?
Don't they know tthat only the elites are supposed to get that?

I would take a wisconsin, michigan, gtech, ucla or berkeley degree over an ivy leaguer any day.

Dane96
September 18th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Scoff all you like (and it more than likely will never happen) but HC should join a "New" Big East in basketball with Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Villanova etc. while remaining in the PL in other sports. If Army and Navy can be independent in football (their premiere sport) while being in the PL in most everything else, why can't HC do the same in their premiere sport, basketball?

Did you just compare Army and Navy's cache with that of Holy Cross.

Holy crap.

Dane96
September 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I highly disagree. Let's say you took harvard, and they decided that 75% of harvards students had to come from mass. Would that mean your harvard education was now worse? Same faculty and staff, and still a very high quality student. Its interesting that a lot of people think that the quality of the education you get at harvard is basically junk when compared to its peer schools. Who cares though, their median student got a 32(!!!) on the act.

For some reason in the US we rate schools by their snob factor, not the actual quality of the education you get there. How is it a bad thing that states let students who got 26's on their acts get a top flight education?
Don't they know tthat only the elites are supposed to get that?

I would take a wisconsin, michigan, gtech, ucla or berkeley degree over an ivy leaguer any day.

Again, comparing an IVY--much like that of Army and Navy with Holy Cross-- to anything else is silly and makes no logical sense. In short, to answer your question, yes...the quality of education would absolutely be less if Harvard only accepted MA residents.

The reason Ivy's are what they are is because they get the best of the best...NATIONALLY...not locally or even regionally.

That said, again...just because you graduated Harvard, Yale, etc....doesn't guarantee working world success. It guarantees open doors. You still have to perform.

Sader87
September 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Did you just compare Army and Navy's cache with that of Holy Cross.

Holy crap.

Yup...

Cocky
September 18th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Yup...

Dave Hester quote ( storage wars )

Big Al
September 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
The Bigot Young University will never get a Pac-12 invite. The schools in the Pac-12 pride themselves on being diverse, open, and inclusive - everything BYU is not. When the Mormons funded Prop H8, they killed any chance of ever getting into the Pac-12, and rightfully so.

Certainly didn't help among the Cal's of the conference but the real knock against BYU is their academics. It has always been the case. They're B.A.D. -- BAD. Notre Dame of the west? Not hardly.

PS - I took great pleasure in the ***-kicking they got last night.

Go...gate
September 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Certainly didn't help among the Cal's of the conference but the real knock against BYU is their academics. It has always been the case. They're B.A.D. -- BAD. Notre Dame of the west? Not hardly.

PS - I took great pleasure in the ***-kicking they got last night.

I have heard the same. You can basically sleep in class if you don't snore.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 18th, 2011, 11:08 PM
The MAC has a chance to step up and make a move imo. They could potentially land one or two quality public research universities which would really boast the leagues profile. If that would happen Temple and Umass would seriously consider an all sports membership imo.

With that said, i hope Temple is exploring all their options.

ngineer
September 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM

You mean UNC, Ga.Tech, NC State, etal, don't want to come to the denizen of Multi-Purpose stadium ? (;-)

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM
You mean UNC, Ga.Tech, NC State, etal, don't want to come to the denizen of Multi-Purpose stadium ? (;-)

Then again, Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, et al. don't want to come either. Maybe the Pard fans will slip a rule change under the door mandating stadium seating of 7,000 or more and Georgetown will simply be a barnstorming team.

superman7515
September 19th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Then again, Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, et al. don't want to come either. Maybe the Pard fans will slip a rule change under the door mandating stadium seating of 7,000 or more and Georgetown will simply be a barnstorming team.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pk5O_KGpoEE/SUKCllfV-UI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/vKUx4PwwgH0/s400/william+goldstein+-+the+bingo+long+traveling+all-stars+%26+motor+kings+(1976).jpg

appfan2008
September 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM
It is exciting to see everyday where teams are moving... a big game of cat and mouse...

Go Apps
September 19th, 2011, 07:54 AM
And for ASU fans - the word out of the Yosef club is that ASU is gone from FCS - not sure where but they are no doubt headed to the FBS - As a big ASU fan, I think this is the wrong move and will hurt our fan base - I see no reason to move up - it is good to play meaningful games!!! ASU needs to rethink fast

bostonspider
September 19th, 2011, 08:37 AM
As per the BE football, I completely see it disolving. UConn and Rutgers to the ACC, WVU to the SEC and then USF, Louisville, Cincinnati and TCU will join with the remnants of the B12 (assuming OU, OSU, UT and TT head to PAC16), Baylor, Kansas, ISU, KSU and Missouri. Those nine take in maybe 3 or more CUSA and MWC schools (Memphis, UH, SMU, Rice, Boise State, etc..) and form the new Big 12. This leaves the Big East as the seven non FBS football playing members plus Notre Dame. It is not inconceivable that they would reach out to the A10 for new members to get up to 12 teams. I would think UD/XU would be locks. Then they would need one more western and one more eastern school. I could see either St. Louis or Butler in the West and either Richmond or Duquesne in the East.

Pard4Life
September 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Huge news out of Center Valley and Princeton! A new mega FCS super-conference has formed! What superpowers will this league bestow?

Ivy Division:
Penn, Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia

Patriot Division:
Lafayette, Lehigh, Colgate, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Fordham, Army, Navy

The new league will be called the Ancient 16 and hold a conference championship game at Princeton each year. Georgetown was going to be apart of the Patriot Division, but a irreconcilable split occurred over negotiations on the Hoyas maintaining exclusive broadcast rights with Verizon Fios1 of DC and having their games on two day tape delay. Even the venerable Ivy Division presidents could not understand why Georgetown would not be amicable towards the new $1 billion 30-year deal for games broadcasted nationally on Versus while still being able to maintain local broadcasting relationships.

Lafayette President Dan Weiss: "I applaud this new deal and our collective agreement to offer scholarship football while maintaining academic integrity. At long last, we have reached our goal of Ivy League affiliation. Penn was our to forgive us for our transgressions over 120 years ago. I am proud to affiliate our instituion which such progressive leaders in educational leadership."

The deal also nearly fell apart when Colgate maintained than it should swap places with Cornell in the Ivy Division and have all league corresondence refer to the Ithaca school as 'SUNY-Ithaca.'

Penn President Judith Rodin: "Although technically true, it would be an embarrassment to our league to include a state school label. We need to exude pompous prestige and exclusivity as much as possible."

The deal also codified that Lehigh would no longer be able to accept junior college players and have its incoming athletes at least be able to read at a 10th grade level.

Holy Cross did not intend to join the Ancient 16, but the implosion of the Big East left the Worcester school without further options. An annonymous HC alumni: "This is a defeat in victory. Sure we preserve our rivalry with Fordham and Colgate, but the dissolution of the Big East is going to leave us with some needed soul searching. We are going to have to forge a new identity."

Play begins in 2012 and the championship team recieves a bye to the FCS final four.

Dane96
September 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM
LOL...best sarcasm of my morning. Like a good cup of java.

URMite
September 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM
If 4 megaconferences of 16 (64 teams) decides to split from the rest of division I, leaving maybe 192 teams. Could some 16 team conferences be formed from the remaining group? or would there be no way to keep travel expenses down with large conferences (something that seems more of a concern at this level)?

Or perhaps a new three way split on number of scholarships offered?

Go...gate
September 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Huge news out of Center Valley and Princeton! A new mega FCS super-conference has formed! What superpowers will this league bestow?

Ivy Division:
Penn, Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia

Patriot Division:
Lafayette, Lehigh, Colgate, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Fordham, Army, Navy

The new league will be called the Ancient 16 and hold a conference championship game at Princeton each year. Georgetown was going to be apart of the Patriot Division, but a irreconcilable split occurred over negotiations on the Hoyas maintaining exclusive broadcast rights with Verizon Fios1 of DC and having their games on two day tape delay. Even the venerable Ivy Division presidents could not understand why Georgetown would not be amicable towards the new $1 billion 30-year deal for games broadcasted nationally on Versus while still being able to maintain local broadcasting relationships.

Lafayette President Dan Weiss: "I applaud this new deal and our collective agreement to offer scholarship football while maintaining academic integrity. At long last, we have reached our goal of Ivy League affiliation. Penn was our to forgive us for our transgressions over 120 years ago. I am proud to affiliate our instituion which such progressive leaders in educational leadership."

The deal also nearly fell apart when Colgate maintained than it should swap places with Cornell in the Ivy Division and have all league corresondence refer to the Ithaca school as 'SUNY-Ithaca.'

Penn President Judith Rodin: "Although technically true, it would be an embarrassment to our league to include a state school label. We need to exude pompous prestige and exclusivity as much as possible."

The deal also codified that Lehigh would no longer be able to accept junior college players and have its incoming athletes at least be able to read at a 10th grade level.

Holy Cross did not intend to join the Ancient 16, but the implosion of the Big East left the Worcester school without further options. An annonymous HC alumni: "This is a defeat in victory. Sure we preserve our rivalry with Fordham and Colgate, but the dissolution of the Big East is going to leave us with some needed soul searching. We are going to have to forge a new identity."

Play begins in 2012 and the championship team recieves a bye to the FCS final four.

Post Of The Year, hands down. LOL!

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Patriot League officials later expressed mild concern when they had been informed that due to some documents ordered from LegalZoom.com, a number of Patriot schools joined the NESCAC by mistake.

Appfan_in_CAAland
September 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM

With regards to the Pac-?? stance on admitting religious institutions amoung other institutional practices, I assume by "diverse, open, and inclusive" you meant narrorw-minded, elitist, and bigoted. Sounds to me like BYU could do better elsewhere.

frozennorth
September 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
With regards to the Pac-?? stance on admitting religious institutions amoung other institutional practices, I assume by "diverse, open, and inclusive" you meant narrorw-minded, elitist, and bigoted. Sounds to me like BYU could do better elsewhere.

Clearly, being opposed to bigotry makes one a bigot.

superman7515
September 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Patriot League officials later expressed mild concern when they had been informed that due to some documents ordered from LegalZoom.com, a number of Patriot schools joined the NESCAC by mistake.

The NESCAC refuses to overlook the error and has hired a lawyer from Baltimore to follow up on the case after his return from Vietnam.

frozennorth
September 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Again, comparing an IVY--much like that of Army and Navy with Holy Cross-- to anything else is silly and makes no logical sense. In short, to answer your question, yes...the quality of education would absolutely be less if Harvard only accepted MA residents.

The reason Ivy's are what they are is because they get the best of the best...NATIONALLY...not locally or even regionally.

That said, again...just because you graduated Harvard, Yale, etc....doesn't guarantee working world success. It guarantees open doors. You still have to perform.
So the exact same education from the exact same teachers given to slightly less gifted students makes that identical education not the same?

Again, I would take the intellectual atmosphere of uw, um, uc or ucla over every ivy.

Dane96
September 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
You wouldn't be getting the exact same teachers.

And...yes, it would not be the same YET AGAIN. If you are teaching what is CONSIDERED to be the national best, compared to the State-Wide best...that information could fall on deaf ears.

That said, I am not avocating that all students at IVY are the best of the best. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. What is clear, they have a better pool to choose from than a single state.

dbackjon
September 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Clearly, being opposed to bigotry makes one a bigot.

Yup - that is the tired response to those that stand up against bigotry - "well, if you were so open and inclusive, you'd welcome the bigots with open arms".

frozennorth
September 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
You wouldn't be getting the exact same teachers.

And...yes, it would not be the same YET AGAIN. If you are teaching what is CONSIDERED to be the national best, compared to the State-Wide best...that information could fall on deaf ears.

That said, I am not avocating that all students at IVY are the best of the best. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. What is clear, they have a better pool to choose from than a single state.

That's really the best you can come up with?

Let's say you have two identical universes, except in one, harvard only admits students from massechusetts. Two identical students both go to harvard, and get the same education from the same teachers in the same field. Are you seriously trying to tell me that private school student got a better education then the 'public' school student, even though they took the same classes from the same teachers at the same times?

If michigan stopped letting in state students and its median act score rose from a 29 to a 32, would michigan then replace harvard as the best school in the country, even if everything else stays the same?

The best atmosphere for learning is the best atmosphere for learning is the best atmosphere for learning.

Smitty
September 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Talking about Merging (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-conferencerealignment-leftout)

The Big East and Big 12 might join together in their fight for survival.

School and conference officials from the two leagues have been discussing ways to merge what’s left of them if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, a person involved in the discussions told The Associated Press.

Also talking about a merger is the Mountain West Conference and Conference USA.

Mountain West Conference Commissioner Craig Thompson told the Idaho Statesmen that he and CUSA Commissioner Britton Banowsky “resurrected this consolidation concept with Conference USA from a football-only standpoint.”

bostonspider
September 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Let's say you have two identical universes, except in one, harvard only admits students from massechusetts. Two identical students both go to harvard, and get the same education from the same teachers in the same field. Are you seriously trying to tell me that private school student got a better education then the 'public' school student, even though they took the same classes from the same teachers at the same times?

Well you are seriously discounting the affect that your fellow students have on the learning and intellectual environment. The fact that one school has the best students from all over the US and world certainly has a great effect on the education of the students themselves. You can't tell me that you only learned in the classroom, and only from the professors. Learning at college is supposed to be a holistic experience, gaining insight from your fellow students and surroundings as well as fron anything the faculty is instructing you on. Classroom, dormroom, library discussions / critiques can and should teach you as much as what the professor is lecturing.

Seawolf97
September 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I wonder what the fall out down the line will be ie A-10, CAA, America East. This could be the time that AE football could form if Boston University gets out of the league.

You and many ohters like myself would love to see an AE Football Conference. Add maybe Fordham, CCSU and bring back URI as full scholarship. Thats 7 with SBU, Albany, Maine and UNH . Who knows ?

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Well you are seriously discounting the affect that your fellow students have on the learning and intellectual environment. The fact that one school has the best students from all over the US and world certainly has a great effect on the education of the students themselves. You can't tell me that you only learned in the classroom, and only from the professors. Learning at college is supposed to be a holistic experience, gaining insight from your fellow students and surroundings as well as fron anything the faculty is instructing you on. Classroom, dormroom, library discussions / critiques can and should teach you as much as what the professor is lecturing.

Yeah, it is a holistic approach. If it's just about the professor & material, you might as well buy a library card and make friends with a bearded 70 year old.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Breaking news: North Carolina is vacating all wins from 2008 & 2009 (no postseason ban) -- self-imposed penalties. Appearing before NCAA in October.

Break news (2012): All universities vacate all wins. FCS teams are the only ones to have played any games in 2012.

Breaking news (2013): FBS leaves NCAA. Bye bye.

Dane96
September 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM

If michigan stopped letting in state students and its median act score rose from a 29 to a 32, would michigan then replace harvard as the best school in the country, even if everything else stays the same?

The best atmosphere for learning is the best atmosphere for learning is the best atmosphere for learning.

DUDE..STFU already and get back to the thread.

You are right, I am wrong...are you ****ing happy. Now go get your shinebox.

Dane96
September 19th, 2011, 10:17 PM

Thank you...we have a winner.

Frozennorth...take note of this when your head defrosts and you enter the big boy world.

Dane96
September 19th, 2011, 10:19 PM
You and many ohters like myself would love to see an AE Football Conference. Add maybe Fordham, CCSU and bring back URI as full scholarship. Thats 7 with SBU, Albany, Maine and UNH . Who knows ?

A man can dream....

UNH Fanboi
September 19th, 2011, 10:25 PM
It's only a matter of time before Congress and/or the courts become more heavily involved in college football. If schools with politically connected supporters get left behind in this realignment, watch out.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM
It's only a matter of time before Congress and/or the courts become more heavily involved in college football. If schools with politically connected supporters get left behind in this realignment, watch out.

I doubt it. Congress has way too many global issues right now, and they can't keep up with how fast things are changing in college football. Heck, we are just hearing about the BCS and problems with its "Champion" from when Utah went undefeated and the Attorney General. That was like....5-10 years ago or something! I can't even remember. 20 years from now some person will get their initial investment back from the Madoff ponzi scheme from the FDIC insurance.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Mizzou to the SEC, pending Big 12 implosion... that would leave Baylor, Kansas, K-State and Iowa State out to dry...

COLUMBIA | The Southeastern Conference has an offer on the table for Missouri to join its league, and SEC officials are willing to wait for an answer from Missouri until the future of the Big 12 is decided.

That information has come to The Star through a Mizzou booster who spoke directly to a MU official. Another source told The Star on Tuesday that an Oklahoma official had said the SEC is interested in Missouri.

MU chancellor Brady Deaton has gone on record numerous times that, as chairman of the Big 12’s Board of Directors, he is working on keeping the Big 12 together.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/20/3155336/source-mizzou-has-sec-offer-but.html#ixzz1YWAyYvtZ

DFW HOYA
September 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
The SEC should take back one of its own: Georgia Tech.

RichH2
September 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Did not really expect such a response to my query. All said and done I find it all somewhat sad. Chasing $$$$ instead of footballs. It would seem as NCAA will soon be totally out of FBS football. Shame they dont have antitrust rules to prevent mega conferences.

WestCoastAggie
September 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM

I like Ga. Tech in the ACC. They just seem to fit with more-so with the ACC schools academically rather than the SEC schools, except Vandy. In fact, with the way things are going, perhaps Vandy should look to jump to the ACC...

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I don't see how the megaconferences would be antitrust. If you are wondering what is antitrust -- how about the NFL requiring student-athletes to stay in universities for 3 years before entering. Meanwhile, their market value is being artificially suppressed (T Pryor worth 1 million + in college) and third parties (EA Sports, All State, ESPN) can profit off their injuries and success.

WestCoastAggie
September 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I don't see how the megaconferences would be antitrust. If you are wondering what is antitrust -- how about the NFL requiring student-athletes to stay in universities for 3 years before entering. Meanwhile, their market value is being artificially suppressed (T Pryor worth 1 million + in college) and third parties (EA Sports, All State, ESPN) can profit off their injuries and success.

Concerning the College Players & the NFL, there was a suit against the NFL about that filed by Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams in which the NFL won. There is also a lawsuit in progress about athletes receiving compensation for the NCAA marketing and profiting on using their likeness and names.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I think the marketing one vs. the NCAA has do with former players not consenting to have their likenesses sold. Like, the NCAA can profit WHILE you are in school, but there was no agreement they could do it 10, 40, 100 years later.

dgtw
September 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Tulane was also once an SEC member. I wonder how many times a day Tulane curses the name of the genius who made that decision.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Interesting...

The University of Oklahoma is considering remaining in the Big 12, but only in a “reformed” version of the conference that includes hard and fast rules for Texas' Longhorn Network and removal of Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, a high-ranking Big 12 source told The Oklahoman on Tuesday.

OU president David Boren said Monday the Sooners would decide soon between applying for Pac-12 membership or staying in the Big 12, and the source outlined the parameters for remaining in the Big 12.

“It's going to take major, major reforms” for OU, and thus Oklahoma State, to consider remaining in the Big 12, the source said. “We'd have to have an interim commissioner.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/source-removal-of-big-12-commissioner-dan-beebe-among-ous-demands/article/3605958#ixzz1YWeAdnbS

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
WTF!!!! REMOVAL of Dan Beebe. Wow, talk about a serious punch in the gut!!!

Smitty
September 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Pretty sure Texas would agree to give up some stuff to keep the Big 12 together. However I doubt they will find common standing ground and OU leaves anyway...

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Holy F*@!, no wonder Texas A&M wants to get out of dodge. How can you get along with these people? They are playing bully in the background all day long.

Look at the Big Ten. They get along so well....they even have their own conference and share the revenue (only about 10-20 million per year). That means Indiana and Ohio State share that TV revenue. Take note, greedy Texans & Oklahomans.

Now I know why Texas wants to be its own country.

Smitty
September 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
If I understand it after last years deal, it is all Texas Longhorns... They basically own the conference which is why the others are ducking out.