PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten I-AA Programs in History

crunifan
April 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
What do you guys think are the ten schools, who over the years have produced the best I-AA program?

In my opinion (no order):

Eastern Kentucky
Montana
Youngstown State
Delaware
McNeese State
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Furman
Western Kentucky
James Madison

Some are easier to place than others. Also, I chose not to include my school in my opinion because of biased views.

grizband
April 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM
In no particular order:

Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
Montana
Eastern Kentucky
Marshall
Northern Iowa
Delaware
Furman
McNeese State.
Western Kentucky

If we were to start the next tier of teams, some teams I would include are (some debate as to whether these teams might even crack the top 10):
Idaho
Boise St.
Nevada
Grambling State

rufus
April 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Can we include former I-AAs? If so, I would add Marshall and Idaho to that list. Also, as much as I love JMU, I'm sure there's a better #10 out there.

Cocky
April 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Georgia Southern
Furman
App State
Delaware
Eastern Kentucky
Youngstown State
Montana
Northern Iowa
Lehigh
McNeese State

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Georgia Southern
Youngstown St
Montana
Eastern Kentucky
Marshall
Furman
McNeese St
Delaware
Northern Iowa

asu70
April 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
App State
GSU
Furman
Marshall
EKU
YSU
WKU
Montana
Delaware
UNI

colgate13
April 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'll do it in order:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Youngstown State
3. Montana
4. Marshall
5. Furman
6. Delaware
7. Eastern Kentucky
8. Appalachian State
9. Northern Iowa
10. McNeese State

I think my list is pretty solid too!

nlwwln
April 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Current 1aa members, in no particular order:
delaware
montana
app state
youngstown
EKU
georgia southern
furman
mcneese
western kentucky
grambling

ngineer
April 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM
My list:
Georgia Southern
Montana
Youngstown St.
Eastern Kentucky
Delaware
Northern Iowa
Appalachian St.
Furman
McNeese
Lehigh

Yes, I know--homer--but in reality since 1979 a 65% winning percentage, including playoff appearances, can't be scoffed at. A very steady and lengthy program and a couple Coach of the Year awards. I would grant if some former I-AA's (Marshall, Idaho) were included, I would drop us off.

darussian12
April 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
just from reading the boards the past 6 months in my view i say GSU(Georgia Southern for some of the more anal people) and Montana..and this is off nothing more then just reading discussion in that time...not looking up past records...championships...players drafted...playoff apearances....just plain observing talk on the boards in those 6 months.

Harvard Worship
April 15th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Current 1aa members, in no particular order:
delaware
montana
app state
youngstown
EKU
georgia southern
furman
mcneese
harvard
grambling

Thanks buddy, but Harvard didn't do so much worthy of greatness in 1AA as we did way back when before IA and IAA existed and before football had all its rules squared away.

Grizo406
April 15th, 2006, 03:32 AM
I don't have a list, but when something like this comes up...as long as Montana, Georgia Southern, and Youngstown are mentioned, I'm happy...oh what the hell, throw Delaware in there too.xlolx

bluehenbillk
April 15th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Georgia Southern
Marshall
Furman
Montana
Delaware
Youngstown St
McNeese St
E Kentucky
W Kentucky

(no particular order)

slostang
April 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
If Rich Ellerson stays around Cal Poly I think we will be adding Cal Poly to the list fairly soon.

Saint3333
April 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
It would take about 10 more trips to the playoffs and a national title to replace someone off most of the lists posted here.

FlyYtown
April 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
My Top 12 Rankings in Order:
1. Georgia Southern
2. Youngstown State
3. Montana
4. Marshall [OLD]
5. McNeese State
6. Appalachian State
7. Delaware
8. Eastern Kentucky
9. Boise St. [OLD]
10. Idaho [OLD]
11. Furman
12. Western Kentucky

slostang
April 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM
It would take about 10 more trips to the playoffs and a national title to replace someone off most of the lists posted here.
So you see what I was saying. :) I know that one season does not do it and Cal Poly has a long way to go. You have to start somewhere and I do think Rich Ellerson has them going in the right direction.

ngineer
April 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM
So you see what I was saying. :) I know that one season does not do it and Cal Poly has a long way to go. You have to start somewhere and I do think Rich Ellerson has them going in the right direction.

Yes, CP is on the move, but the programs mentioned in this thread have been 'doing it' with consistency for 25 years. If you can keep a good coach for awhile (5-10 years) it certainly helds build momentum for the next guy.

bandl
April 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Can we include former I-AAs? If so, I would add Marshall and Idaho to that list. Also, as much as I love JMU, I'm sure there's a better #10 out there.

Agreed...JMU is not on the top 10 list. No way, no how. Aside from 2004, we are pretty mediocre, if not pretty bad, most of the time prior to 2004. xcoffeex

BUT...if there was a list of greatest playoff runs in one postseason...I think JMU would be at or near the top. 4 straight road wins, including two 14-13 victories (that last minute vic over Furman was a doozie wasn't it, OL FU??? :p ), a rematch against the only team in the A10 that beat them in the regular season, and a "JMU is getting destroyed through the first quarter...no wait...our offensive line just buried their defensive line in the Chatty turf, now let's get 300 or so yards running on the ground" improbable victory over Montana in the final...yeah, I'd say that was one of the greatest playoff runs I've been witness too. :D

Did I mention that I've been drinking since about 2 o'clock??? Hell yeah!!! :hurray:

Pard4Life
April 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
If we changed this question to... "top 10 all-time best football teams that play in I-AA today".. we'd have to include Lafayette in that list...

Also.. you'd have to throw in there Fordham, Colgate, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Penn..

..don't know about many other teams before I-AA began.. recommendations? (no Lehigh not you :nono: )

Montana might be one.. didn't they get to a few bowls?

X-Factor
April 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM
If we changed this question to... "top 10 all-time best football teams that play in I-AA today".. we'd have to include Lafayette in that list...

Also.. you'd have to throw in there Fordham, Colgate, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Penn..

..don't know about many other teams before I-AA began.. recommendations? (no Lehigh not you :nono: )

Montana played in the 1969 Camellia Bowl vs. NDSU. (NDSU 30-3)

I think that might be getting a little carried away from the topic though. NDSU is among the top 2 or 3 winningest small college football teams in history, but they havn't even been allowed to make the I-AA playoffs let alone have any lengthy history in I-AA yet.

I would have to go with this top 10 list for I-AA teams:

Georgia Southern
Marshall
Furman
Montana
Delaware
Youngstown St
McNeese St
UNI
W Kentucky
Appalachian St.

89Hen
April 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM
5. McNeese State
No offense to our Cowboy friends, but that seems a little high.

griz&beer
April 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
My Top 12 Rankings in Order:
1. Georgia Southern
2. Youngstown State
3. Montana
4. Marshall [OLD]
5. McNeese State
6. Appalachian State
7. Delaware
8. Eastern Kentucky
9. Boise St. [OLD]
10. Idaho [OLD]
11. Furman
12. Western Kentucky

I think you have it right on the money.

I-AA Fan
April 16th, 2006, 08:37 PM
No rules, no order:

yale
grambling
flamu
marshall
ysu
dayton
hofstra
montana
lehigh
penn
eku
eiu
mtsu

McNeese75
April 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
No rules, no order:

yale
grambling
flamu
marshall
ysu
dayton
hofstra
montana
lehigh
penn
eku
eiu
mtsu

Well, it is certainly different:confused:

ngineer
April 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
... "top 10 all-time best football teams that play in I-AA today".. we'd have to include Lafayette in that list...

..don't know about many other teams before I-AA began.. recommendations? (no Lehigh not you :nono: )Montana might be one.. didn't they get to a few bowls?

Oh yeah?:p We've won more national championships and Lambert Cups than Lafayette regardless. You can certainly start an ancient history thread if you like--but then before the 1970's you'd have to include all D-I schools, and I don't think LC would be in that top 10 either...;)

blukeys
April 16th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Delaware's post season record before the formation of I-AA in 1978 was 8-3.

The Bowl Record was 6-0. The D-2 playoff record from 1973 to 1977 was 2-3. What is your criteria? It sounds as if you are framing your question to favor Lafayette. :nod:

ngineer
April 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM

The Bowl Record was 6-0. The D-2 playoff record from 1973 to 1977 was 2-3. What is your criteria? It sounds as if you are framing your question to favor Lafayette. :nod:

Exactly my point. I believe some time ago there was a thread that listed the all-time winning records of all colleges and certainly, those schools playing since the late 1800's, and many now I-AA, are in the upper eschelon. But the the question is strictly your time in I-AA...

FlyYtown
April 16th, 2006, 09:51 PM
No offense to our Cowboy friends, but that seems a little high.

Normally I'd agree, but have you been down there! These people tailgate the night before games, they are really into football there.

Sure they loss to us in the 97 title, but I have always had the utmost respect for them.

Pard4Life
April 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah?:p We've won more national championships and Lambert Cups than Lafayette regardless. You can certainly start an ancient history thread if you like--but then before the 1970's you'd have to include all D-I schools, and I don't think LC would be in that top 10 either...;)

The evidence that was standing out in my mind was that Lafayette has three national titles, all poll related of course, several All-Americans, and I think four, five Collegiate Hall of Famers. No we certainly don't crack the top ten of all D1 schools, but I was suggesting present IAA schools most distinguished throughout their entire existence, even from IA days. I just didn't think Lehigh made that list since they were not too good back in the day, and only have one CFHOF player.

Pard4Life
April 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Wow he saw right through that veil xlolx

But, we could be off that list if some other quality I-AA schools with a distinugished history from preIAA era is mentioned.. I just don't know many others outside of this area.

I-AA Fan
April 17th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Well, it is certainly different:confused:

Originally Posted by I-AA Fan
No rules, no order:

yale = Simply the top program historically in I-AA, top facility.
grambling = had no competition for how many years in bcca?
flamu= top attendance and dominating w/l record. Maybe not as well known as grambling, but far superior on the field.
marshall=if ysu did not exist in the 90's, they would be #1 on everyone's list. Give credit where do.
ysu=Owned the 90's
dayton=Simply the best non-scholarship program.
hofstra=this was one dominating independent club.
montana=made the list with recent history.
lehigh=could be interchanged with Lafayette, but not with recent history. gave respectability to a once weak conference.
penn=recently, the only team in the Ivy.
eku=owned much of the 80's and early 90's and an original final-4 team.
eiu=stepped in after the decline of EKU & only relinquished domination of the OVC over the last couple years.
mtsu=huge winning percentage and consistent post-season performer.
-My apologies to the Eagles, they define I-AA football...and cannot be less than #1 on any list.

Pard94
April 17th, 2006, 07:51 AM
My list:
Georgia Southern
Montana
Youngstown St.
Eastern Kentucky
Delaware
Northern Iowa
Appalachian St.
Furman
McNeese
Lehigh

Yes, I know--homer--but in reality since 1979 a 65% winning percentage, including playoff appearances, can't be scoffed at. A very steady and lengthy program and a couple Coach of the Year awards. I would grant if some former I-AA's (Marshall, Idaho) were included, I would drop us off.

Hell, Lehigh isn't even the premiere I-AA program in the Lehigh Valley! :smiley_wi

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Current members that have to be there.

Georgia Southern
Eastern Kentucky
Youngstown St
Delaware
Furman
Appalachian State
Montana

Each has either won multiple titles or been in the playoffs and/or deep in the playoffs too many times to exclude them.

and I start counting at 1978.

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'll do it in order:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Youngstown State
3. Montana
4. Marshall
5. Furman
6. Delaware
7. Eastern Kentucky
8. Appalachian State
9. Northern Iowa
10. McNeese State

I think my list is pretty solid too!

That is a solid list, but you can move Furman down to number six and UD to number five just so we do not have to be immediately under the school that shall not be named:)

R.A.
April 17th, 2006, 09:32 AM
-Minus the fact that Grambling has not won any 1-AA championships which is a huge factor, I still don't see how they aren't even on some people's lists. The respect their school receives on a global level is unparalleled by any 1-AA football program, and most 1-A football programs, period.

R.A.
April 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
-Minus the fact that Grambling has not won any 1-AA championships which is a huge factor, I still don't see how they aren't even on some people's lists. The respect their school receives on a global level is unparalleled by any 1-AA football program, period.

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM
-Minus the fact that Grambling has not won any 1-AA championships which is a huge factor, I still don't see how they aren't even on some people's lists. The respect their school receives on a global level is unparalleled by any 1-AA football program, and most 1-A football programs, period.

I agree, but I think the difficulty comes with the parameters. When hear I-AA, I think I-AA and while Grambling is good the general consensus right or wrong is GSU was at their best prior to I-AA.

R.A.
April 17th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I agree, but I think the difficulty comes with the parameters. When hear I-AA, I think I-AA and while Grambling is good the general consensus right or wrong is GSU was at their best prior to I-AA.

-While the facts aren't in dispute... I still just feel that there's a lot of denial going on....

MACHIAVELLI
April 17th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by I-AA Fan
grambling = had no competition for how many years in bcca?
flamu= top attendance and dominating w/l record. Maybe not as well known as grambling, but far superior on the field.

FYI:
According to ICON/Grambling media guide the series record versus FAMU is Grambling 10 wins - 5 losses. Grambling is 8-2 in the last 10 games versus FAMU, which inlcudes a streak of 7 straight wins dating back to 1979.

GannonFan
April 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
My top ten (only including current teams), in order is:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Montana
3. Youngstown St.
4. Delaware
5. Furman
6. Appalachian St.
7. Eastern Kentucky
8. McNeese St.
9. Northern Iowa

I think the top 9 is pretty solid - hard to see any argument that has a team other than those in the top 9.

10. Eastern Illinois (could've put Lehigh, W. Kentucky, William and Mary, maybe even Grambling in here, but there are significant knocks against all of them - E. Illinois, IMO, has been more consistent over the lifetime of IAA).

colgate13
April 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM
-Minus the fact that Grambling has not won any 1-AA championships which is a huge factor, I still don't see how they aren't even on some people's lists.
Wins and losses in I-AA since the start - with an emphasis on playoffs and OOC wins, that's how. Point out where Grambling has a better resume than any of these 10 on my list:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Youngstown State
3. Montana
4. Marshall
5. Furman
6. Delaware
7. Eastern Kentucky
8. Appalachian State
9. Northern Iowa
10. McNeese State

The respect their school receives on a global level is unparalleled by any 1-AA football program, and most 1-A football programs, period.
Stop right there and repeat after me:

Harvard.
Yale.
Princeton.

Say it again:

Harvard.
Yale.
Princeton.

One more time:

Harvard.
Yale.
Princeton.

Any arguement about respect in I-AA starts there. Jockying for position begins at #4.

MACHIAVELLI
April 17th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Wins and losses in I-AA since the start - with an emphasis on playoffs and OOC wins, that's how. Point out where Grambling has a better resume than any of these 10 on my list:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Youngstown State
3. Montana
4. Marshall
5. Furman
6. Delaware
7. Eastern Kentucky
8. Appalachian State
9. Northern Iowa
10. McNeese State

Winning Percentage .699

blukeys
April 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Winning Percentage .699

And it's Winning Percentage in the playoffs is??????????:rolleyes:

TypicalTribe
April 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Last five years:

Montana
Furman
WKU
Northern Iowa
ASU
Delaware
GSU
James Madison
McNeese St
Colgate

Last ten years:

GSU
Montana
Delaware
ASU
Youngstown St
WKU
Furman
Northern Iowa
McNeese St
Umass

Last 15 years:

Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
GSU
Delaware
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
ASU
WKU
Furman

Last 20 years:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St
EKU

Since playoff inception:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
EKU
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Last five years:

Montana
Furman
WKU
Northern Iowa
ASU
Delaware
GSU
James Madison
McNeese St
Colgate

Last ten years:

GSU
Montana
Delaware
ASU
Youngstown St
WKU
Furman
Northern Iowa
McNeese St
Umass

Last 15 years:

Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
GSU
Delaware
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
ASU
WKU
Furman

Last 20 years:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St
EKU

Since playoff inception:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
EKU
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St

Glad to see you kept that schedule. I deleted it after we talked:D

Dang FU had a real dry spell 15 to 20 years ago:smiley_wi

blukeys
April 17th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Last five years:

Montana
Furman
WKU
Northern Iowa
ASU
Delaware
GSU
James Madison
McNeese St
Colgate

Last ten years:

GSU
Montana
Delaware
ASU
Youngstown St
WKU
Furman
Northern Iowa
McNeese St
Umass

Last 15 years:

Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
GSU
Delaware
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
ASU
WKU
Furman

Last 20 years:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St
EKU

Since playoff inception:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
EKU
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the Ol Fu formula. He worked on it for 2 weeks. xlolx xlolx

ngineer
April 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hell, Lehigh isn't even the premiere I-AA program in the Lehigh Valley! :smiley_wi

NO argument as to current events. But from 1978 to present there aint any argument either.;)

R.A.
April 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Harvard.
Yale.
Princeton.

Any arguement about respect in I-AA starts there. Jockying for position begins at #4.

-:smiley_wi Okay buddy....

colgate13
April 17th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Winning Percentage .699

Since I-AA inception?

Percentage OOC and in the playoffs?

89Hen
April 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Normally I'd agree, but have you been down there! These people tailgate the night before games, they are really into football there.

Sure they loss to us in the 97 title, but I have always had the utmost respect for them.
I too have respect for them and their fans, but I thought this was about on-field perfomance. If it's about fans, then I need to completely redo my list.

grizband
April 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Since I-AA inception?

Percentage OOC and in the playoffs?
Grambling State has a .699 winning % all-time. Their win % since 1978 (I-AA inception) is .678. They have 213 wins, and 101 losses.

89Hen
April 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Grambling's SOS has to be taken into account IMO. The fact that the SWAC is 0-19 in the playoffs tells me that the regular season SOS is nowhere near as good as somebody playing in the SoCon, Gate, A10, BSC, Southland.... .699 or .678 look good on the surface, but when you scratch that surface... Again, if we're going to talk about programs and include fan base, importance on the football landscape, notariety.... then you include Grambling and Southern. But I thought this was about on-field performance against I-AA competition which leaves GSU and SU out. :twocents:

MACHIAVELLI
April 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM
And it's Winning Percentage in the playoffs is??????????:rolleyes:

What is Yale's and Harvard's?

blukeys
April 17th, 2006, 12:49 PM
What is Yales and Harvards?

Yale and Harvard are not on my list of the best I-AA programs. Last I heard though they are undefeated in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

colgate13
April 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM
What is Yales and Harvards?

Not on my list either!

They are brought up when someone mentions respect of I-AA programs....

Go...gate
April 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Since 1978, in no particular order:

Georgia Southern
Eastern Kentucky
Delaware
Grambling
Pennsylvania
Furman
Youngstown State
Jackson State
Lehigh
Florida A & M

grizband
April 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Since 1978, in no particular order:

Georgia Southern
Eastern Kentucky
Delaware
Grambling
Pennsylvania
Furman
Youngstown State
Jackson State
Lehigh
Florida A & M
I think this is the first list I have seen that does not include Montana. Any reason for you not including them, ...gate? (not trying to pick a fight, just curious)

Kill'em
April 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM
just from reading the boards the past 6 months in my view i say GSU(Georgia Southern for some of the more anal people) and Montana..
Yes, I am anal about this.

Go...gate
April 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Another Senior Moment, grizband - my bad. Montana should go in and Pennsylvania should depart.

Kill'em
April 17th, 2006, 04:30 PM
My list. The top 5 in order:

1) Georgia Southern- 6 titles says it all.
2) Youngstown St- 4 titles makes this an easy choice.
3) Marshall- This team would have been THE dominant team in I-AA had they not moved up.
4) Montana- They have been the most consistent the last 15 years. Very impressive run and I look for improvement this year.
5) Eastern Kentucky- Consistent winner under Coach Kidd. They could be penciled into the postseason every year.

Furman- Never seems to have off years.
Grambling- Eddie Robinson's record includes them regardless if they play in the SWAC.
Deleware- How many schools really want to play them? These guys are very tough. Tubby Raymond was a great one.
Appalachian St- See Furman
Nevada- Another playoff participant year after year until they moved up.

Honorable mention:
Florida A&M- Until the last few years a yearly playoff participant.
McNeese St- Ditto.
Troy (ST)- Weren't in I-AA long, only a drive-thru stop from D-II to D-IA but were a tough team while they were here.
Middle Tennessee St- Ranked high year after year.

grizband
April 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Another Senior Moment, grizband - my bad. Montana should go in and Pennsylvania should depart.
Hey no problem. Actually I questioned Penn over UM myself, but I wasn't going to feel slighted if that was your opinion.

I-AA Fan
April 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Last five years:

Montana
Furman
WKU
Northern Iowa
ASU
Delaware
GSU
James Madison
McNeese St
Colgate

Last ten years:

GSU
Montana
Delaware
ASU
Youngstown St
WKU
Furman
Northern Iowa
McNeese St
Umass

Last 15 years:

Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
GSU
Delaware
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
ASU
WKU
Furman

Last 20 years:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St
EKU

Since playoff inception:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
EKU
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St

Good picks, good research, good breakdown.

ngineer
April 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Last five years:

Montana
Furman
WKU
Northern Iowa
ASU
Delaware
GSU
James Madison
McNeese St
Colgate

Last ten years:

GSU
Montana
Delaware
ASU
Youngstown St
WKU
Furman
Northern Iowa
McNeese St
Umass

Last 15 years:

Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
GSU
Delaware
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
ASU
WKU
Furman

Last 20 years:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St
EKU

Since playoff inception:

GSU
Youngstown St
Montana
Marshall
EKU
Furman
Delaware
Northern Iowa
ASU
McNeese St

Do have to take issue with the last 5 years and possibly even last 10. The last 8 years Lehigh is 78-18 for .813 winning percent, which I believe is tops in I-AA. Several playoff appearances (3-5) including that one point loss to JMU in '04. Going back the full 10, we're still 87-21 .750...:cool:

CrunchGriz
April 17th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Montana's records for the last:

5 years-
55-15 78.6%
5 playoff appearances - 8-4 in playoffs, 1 title, 2 title games

10 years-
107-29 78.7%
10 playoff appearances - 14-9 in playoffs, 1 title, 4 title games

15 years-
154-45 77.4%
13 playoff appearances - 20-11 in playoffs, 2 titles, 5 title games

20 years-
192-65 74.7%
15 playoff appearances - 22-13 in playoffs, 2 titles, 5 title games

and, 225-116 66.0%
16 playoff appearances - 22-14 in playoffs, 2 titles, 5 title games
since I-AA began in 1978 (28 years)

I have no idea where that ranks the Griz for the various periods. Thirteen playoff appearances in a row (and counting), though, is a pretty amazing demonstrator of high level consistency.

Tod
April 18th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Do have to take issue with the last 5 years and possibly even last 10. The last 8 years Lehigh is 78-18 for .813 winning percent, which I believe is tops in I-AA. Several playoff appearances (3-5) including that one point loss to JMU in '04. Going back the full 10, we're still 87-21 .750...:cool:

So in years nine and 10 you were a total of 9-3? And 87-21 would be .806, not .750.

OL FU
April 18th, 2006, 07:10 AM

The list is based solely on playoff participation and in particular winning in the playoffs. It is a good measurement of that particular aspect of 1-AA but obviously leaves out lots of teams.

ChickenMan
April 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM
W&M actually has the highest... all-time I-AA winning percentage of the current A10 schools.

1... W&M .688
2... Delaware .680
3... Hofstra .642
4... Villanova .600
5... UMass .597
6... UNH .586
7... JMU .525
8... Richmond .492
9... Towson .482
10... Maine .453
11... URI .378
12... N'eastern .338

TheValleyRaider
April 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Lies, damn lies, and statistics... ;) :rotateh: :p

TypicalTribe
April 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM
The list is based solely on playoff participation and in particular winning in the playoffs. It is a good measurement of that particular aspect of 1-AA but obviously leaves out lots of teams.

Although the playoff participation aspect reflects regular season success, as well. Lehigh gets knocked down a few pegs because they have not achieved any significant playoff success.

ngineer
April 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
So in years nine and 10 you were a total of 9-3? And 87-21 would be .806, not .750.

My mistake--hit the 2 and not the 3. In 1997 and 96 we were 9-13, which makes the overall 87-31, which makes an overall percentage of 74% for 1996-'05. Math was never my strong point.:o

89Hen
April 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Thirteen playoff appearances in a row (and counting), though, is a pretty amazing demonstrator of high level consistency.
Absolutely! It also demonstrates something else, but we've already been through that numerous times Crunch. ;)

Grizzaholic
April 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
maybe a stupid question but "what does that demonstrate?" Don't mean to bring up an old topic.

OL FU
April 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM
maybe a stupid question but "what does that demonstrate?" Don't mean to bring up an old topic.

I've heard it before so: Big Sky is a one team conference:)

89, sorry if I got wrong. :)

89Hen
April 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Not a stupid question at all and just so you know I have nothing but praise for Montana's program and for the incredible fan base. The only reason I hate to bring it up again is because it paints me as being anti-BSC.

My implication is that as good as the Griz have been, a big part of their streak is due to the lack of challenge from the rest of the BSC. EWU has popped up a couple of times and MSU a couple, but that's about it. Since Idaho and Boise left, the Griz have won (or shared) all but one title (1997).

There is no other team in I-AA that claim a current streak even close to 13 in the playoffs (SIU with 3 is next) and no other current team that can claim eight consecutive titles (including shares) and ten of the last eleven. If it were because Montana was just simply that good, the Griz would have more than two NC's during that period. There has been a huge shift to parity across I-AA, but the parity in the BSC is that now teams will tie Montana for the title, but nobody can dethrone them.

DYK that of the current teams in the BSC only Montana and Eastern Washington have all time winning records in conference? xcoffeex

Proud Griz Man
April 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I hate to bring it up again is because it paints me as being anti-BSC.

... big part of their streak is due to the lack of challenge from the rest of the BSC.

If it were because Montana was just simply that good, the Griz would have more than two NC's during that period.

:eyebrow: Paints you as what?

Grizzaholic
April 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks for bringing up the pain again. In some defense for the BSC, not blaming anybody or making excuses, it seems to me that every team that the GRIZ play seems to play their best game against the GRIZ. I don't know if people just get a little more amped when they play the GRIZ or what but that is what it seems to me.

89Hen
April 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Paints you as what?
Far too many facts on my side PGM. Give me some that would show my point is unfounded and I would gladly listen. I'll even start you with two good ones:

2004: EWU 35 - SIU 31
2003: NAU 35 - McNeese 3

Those carry some weight, but no semifinal appearances since 1997 for anyone other than Montana. Since 1997, the semifinalists...

Big Sky
Montana

MEAC
FAMU

Patriot
Colgate

Independent
FAU

Southern
GSU
ASU
FU
Wofford

Southland
McNeese
Sam Houston
Texas State
NWSt

A10
UMass
Delaware
JMU
W&M
Villanova

Gateway
WIU
UNI
YSU
IllSt
WKU

89Hen
April 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM
it seems to me that every team that the GRIZ play seems to play their best game against the GRIZ. I don't know if people just get a little more amped when they play the GRIZ or what but that is what it seems to me.
No doubt. :nod: For a long time it was that way for UD too, but now that so many teams in the A10 have made the playoffs and succeeded to varying degrees, beating UD isn't as big a deal. Plus the Hens going 10-12 in 2001-02 took some of the luster off of beating them, cripes, everyone had their turn with the whip. :bawling:

SoCon48
April 19th, 2006, 05:31 PM
What do you guys think are the ten schools, who over the years have produced the best I-AA program?
Some are easier to place than others. Also, I chose not to include my school in my opinion because of biased views.

Let's cut to the chase:

1-10

Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Elon
:p

elkmcc
April 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM
If it were because Montana was just simply that good, the Griz would have more than two NC's during that period.

So you are suggesting that the 1996 team wasn't really "that good"? Or that the 2000 team really wasn't "that good"? Or that the 2004 team really wasn't "that good"?

With all due respect I suggest that you might think again. Ask any one of the Griz playoff opponents any of those years and I think you will discover that those Grizzly teams were indeed very very good teams.

As other Griz posters have already mentioned, Montana always gets everyone's best shot. Montana has had the target on their backs for all of these 13 years and their success during that time in spite of that speaks volumes for the program.

89Hen
April 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM
So you are suggesting that the 1996 team wasn't really "that good"? Or that the 2000 team really wasn't "that good"? Or that the 2004 team really wasn't "that good"?

With all due respect I suggest that you might think again. Ask any one of the Griz playoff opponents any of those years and I think you will discover that those Grizzly teams were indeed very very good teams.
I think you missed the point. In no way am I saying the 1996 or 2000 or even 2004 weren't 'that good'. When the team was good, they won the Big Sky, when the team wasn't 'that good' they STILL won the Big Sky. 1998 was certainly not 'that good'... lost to Southern Utah, Weber and Northridge, still won a share of the Big Sky and got whalloped 52-9 in the playoffs. IMO if they were in the SoCon, Gateway or A10, there's no way the 1998 team makes the playoffs. But that's just my opinion.

elkmcc
April 19th, 2006, 08:53 PM
1998 was certainly not 'that good'... lost to Southern Utah, Weber and Northridge, still won a share of the Big Sky and got whalloped 52-9 in the playoffs. IMO if they were in the SoCon, Gateway or A10, there's no way the 1998 team makes the playoffs. But that's just my opinion.

Point taken.
The '98 Griz were indeed probably the weakest since '95 and even though they had AhYat and a rather prolific offense, the defense that year had a hard time stopping anyone. Montana looked terrible against SUU and WIU in '98. The griz teams of '97, '99 '02 and to a certain extent '03 were IMO competitive and it was only a few wrong bounces of the ball that eliminated them in the playoffs. In all of those years the other BSC teams as a whole gave the Griz fits on a regular basis. The BSC is a tough conference, Montana has just been tougher (and luckier) than the rest for the most part.

DuckDuckGriz
April 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I think you missed the point. In no way am I saying the 1996 or 2000 or even 2004 weren't 'that good'. When the team was good, they won the Big Sky, when the team wasn't 'that good' they STILL won the Big Sky. 1998 was certainly not 'that good'... lost to Southern Utah, Weber and Northridge, still won a share of the Big Sky and got whalloped 52-9 in the playoffs. IMO if they were in the SoCon, Gateway or A10, there's no way the 1998 team makes the playoffs. But that's just my opinion.

You have to understand the balance of the Big Sky in 1998 as Montana BARELY snuck in with the auto-bid. Cal State Northridge and Montana State were two very good teams that year that really didn't get a chance in the playoffs. The Griz were lucky to get the `98 crown because of sneaking out a win over MSU and Northridge getting upset by Idaho State a few hours later. Northridge beat the Griz 21-7 that year in California which ties with EWU's 2005 win over UM with the worst loss by Montana to a Big Sky team (14 pts) in ten years.

Sometimes the balance of a conference makes it so that the "average" teams sneak into the playoffs (ie Montana State 2002 or 03)

DuckDuckGriz
April 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Far too many facts on my side PGM. Give me some that would show my point is unfounded and I would gladly listen. I'll even start you with two good ones:

2004: EWU 35 - SIU 31
2003: NAU 35 - McNeese 3

Those carry some weight, but no semifinal appearances since 1997 for anyone other than Montana. Since 1997, the semifinalists...

Big Sky
Montana

MEAC
FAMU

Patriot
Colgate

Independent
FAU

Southern
GSU
ASU
FU
Wofford

Southland
McNeese
Sam Houston
Texas State
NWSt

A10
UMass
Delaware
JMU
W&M
Villanova

Gateway
WIU
UNI
YSU
IllSt
WKU

When was Northwestern State in the semis?

DuckDuckGriz
April 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Southland
McNeese
Sam Houston
Texas State
NWSt

When was this?

89Hen
April 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM
When was this?
First Round (11/28):
Northwestern St. 48, Illinois St. 28 (Natchitoches, La. 8,118)
Quarterfinals (12/5):
Northwestern St. 31, Appalachian St. 20 (Natchitoches, La. 10,817)
Semifinals (12/12):
Massachusetts 41, Northwestern St. 31 (Natchitoches, La. 10,424)

89Hen
April 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Sometimes the balance of a conference makes it so that the "average" teams sneak into the playoffs (ie Montana State 2002 or 03)
But we're talking about the strength of the conference, not to itself, but to the rest of I-AA. When MSU 'snuck' into the playoffs, they lost first round both times. When Villanova, Wofford, IllSt, NWSt... 'snuck' into the playoffs, they went deep. The point is that when Montana was down (relative to themselves) nobody was really there in the BSC to carry the torch.