HensRock
April 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
So far I knwo of the following additions to I-AA for the 2006 season:

Campbell Fightin' Camels
Central Arkansas Bears
Presbyterian Blue Hose

Are there any more?
Are there any dropping or moving out?

What conferences will these new schools participate in. I've heard that Campbell will be Pioneer. Is that effective yet?

Will Southest LA officially join the Southland for this season?

What does the conference structure look like for I-AA next season?

89Hen
April 14th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I think Southeast LA was already an official member, but maybe just not playoff eligible. UNC moves to the Big Sky this year too, no?

DFW HOYA
April 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Campbell arrives in 2008, Old Dominion by no earlier than 2009.

grizband
April 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I think Southeast LA was already an official member, but maybe just not playoff eligible. UNC moves to the Big Sky this year too, no?
Yes, Northern Colorado starts play in the Big Sky this season.

IaaScribe
April 14th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Presbyterian is still playing DII this year. Campbell will not field a team until 2008 or 2009 (can't remember which).

April 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
So far I knwo of the following additions to I-AA for the 2006 season:

Campbell Fightin' Camels
Central Arkansas Bears
Presbyterian Blue Hose

Are there any more?
Are there any dropping or moving out?

What conferences will these new schools participate in. I've heard that Campbell will be Pioneer. Is that effective yet?

Will Southest LA officially join the Southland for this season?

What does the conference structure look like for I-AA next season?I put the structure up a while back:
http://i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=566

2006 IN:
UCA and WSSU are the two additions this year (both in year one of four provisional). With them, APSU are independent this year.

2007 IN:
Presby is exploratory this year and NCCU is supposed to be as well.

2008 IN:
Campbell. They have not received a PFL invite.

SLU was in the SLC last year and UCA will be in 2007. APSU will be in the OVC.

UNC will be in the Big Sky in 2006.

No departures from I-AA in 2006.

gophoenix
April 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Winston-Salem State Rams (started transition 2005 season)
NC Central Eagles (starts transition 2006 season)

Saint3333
April 14th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Wow 1-AA sure is adding some powerhouse programs:

WSSU
PC
NC Central
Cambell

Guess this will help the division's image. : smh :

The only positives I see are some interesting mascot names.

I assume they're going to the Big South or MEAC.

ucdtim17
April 14th, 2006, 01:05 PM
UCD and UNC will be playoff-eligible in '07, NDSU and SDSU in '08

HensRock
April 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks Everyone!

http://www.gohens.net/images/I-AAMap2006.jpg

carney2
April 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Wow! That map from HensRock really drives home the fact that teams in the west have to cover some serious distances. The Great West, in particular, must be an AD's nightmare. Let's reopen some of those "realignment" threads.

April 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Wow 1-AA sure is adding some powerhouse programs...:rolleyes:

(from a team that has won ONE football title)

rufus
April 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Winston-Salem State! Go Rams! Seriously what do these teams add to I-AA?

ENROLLMENT
Presbyterian: 1,149
Campbell: 2,672
Winston-Salem State: 2,776
Central Arkansas: 9,909

Those are some seriously big-time schools. As a JMU fan, I sure am glad we play in this division with our "peers".

April 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Winston-Salem State! Go Rams! Seriously what do these teams add to I-AA?...Guess the mumps is not the only swelled-head virus going around. :rolleyes: Ask someone at Ohio State about JMU some time...
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS COLUMBUS OH 50,995
JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY HARRISONBURG VA 16,108
APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY BOONE NC 14,653

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Winston-Salem State! Go Rams! Seriously what do these teams add to I-AA?

ENROLLMENT
Presbyterian: 1,149
Campbell: 2,672
Winston-Salem State: 2,776
Central Arkansas: 9,909

WSSU brings back some old rivalries from the world of HBCU sports. They may be small in enrollment, but they definitely have some rivalries already in place with the MEAC schools.

Central Arkansas gives a team to the SLC in Arkansas for the first time since Arkansas St was in the conference. Central Arkansas happens to be just outside of Little Rock, Arkansas, bringing I-AA football to another major market and gives a second I-AA in the state considering Arkansas-Pine Bluff is there. UCA also has class acts as fans. Nothing wrong with that!

ngineer
April 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah, what's the size of the undergrad enrollment got to do with anything? Wofford's about 1500, Lafayette 2300, Colgate 2800...largest school in the PL is Georgetown at 12,191 ('05-06) and next largest Fordham at 7403, yet last year both had losing records. Meanwhile Lafayette and Colgate were in the playoffs.

rufus
April 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Guess the mumps is not the only swelled-head virus going around. :rolleyes: Ask someone at Ohio State about JMU some time...
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS COLUMBUS OH 50,995
JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY HARRISONBURG VA 16,108
APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY BOONE NC 14,653
So JMU is 1/3 the size of Ohio State and Presbyterian is 1/15 the size of JMU. You're right -- pretty much the same thing.

gophoenix
April 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Wow 1-AA sure is adding some powerhouse programs:

Campbell most likely not to the Big South, NC Central is as good as any MEAC program is right now. Presbyterian has been top 25 in DII for a few years now.

Instead of knocking smaller public schools and private schools who are actually fielding teams, maybe you should be attacking all of the big publics and rich privates schools who AREN'T fielding teams in DI at all.

April 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah, what's the size of the undergrad enrollment got to do with anything?...It's the "BIG BRITCHES" disease. First symptom is a SWELLED HEAD. xlolx

rufus
April 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, what's the size of the undergrad enrollment got to do with anything?
Because when I was at JMU, most of the students I knew where hostile toward the administration for keeping us in a division with a what they perceived as a bunch of small schools. There is a general feeling among JMU students that we are outgrowing our division, and the addition of a bunch of small schools really doesn't do much to counter that perception. If JMU continues growing at its current rate (which shows no sign of slowing), we will have between 25,000 and 30,000 students in 10 years. It's just hard to get that excited about the idea of a 30,000-student JMU playing WSSU or Presbyterian, but I guess that's what the future holds.

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Because when I was at JMU, most of the students I knew where hostile toward the administration for keeping us in a division with a what they perceived as a bunch of small schools. There is a general feeling among JMU students that we are outgrowing our division, and the addition of a bunch of small schools really doesn't do much to counter that perception. If JMU continues growing at its current rate (which shows no sign of slowing), we will have between 25,000 and 30,000 students in 10 years. It's just hard to get that excited about the idea of a 30,000-student JMU playing WSSU or Presbyterian, but I guess that's what the future holds.

Rice has the smallest Div I-A undergrad population and they have been able to secure home and home series with Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor and Oklahoma St. Throw in two for ones with UCLA and Texas. They have under 2000 students and constantly compete with schools with populations 15x theres (heck, crosstown rival Houston, who they've beat numerous times has 30,000).

Size does not matter. Texas State - San Marcos (formerly SWT) has been the largest school in the SLC for years and before this past year, had never been the SLC champion. They have an enrollment of upwards of 25,000...

April 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
... It's just hard to get that excited...Well at least you know better... right? Enrollment size does not equate to football strength.

Saint3333
April 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
(from a team that has won ONE football title)[/QUOTE]

From a FAN of arguably one of the top 10 1-AA programs on all-time. I don't speak for ASU, just myself. Ralph's hate for ASU strikes again.

As for the size of schools check the size of Clemson and Arkansas (both 17K) and I'm sure others. It's nice to use the largest school in the nation for your purposes I guess...

These schools add nothing and only further the stigma that 1-AA is Div. 2 to the casual sports fan.

GP are WSSU and NC Central private? I didn't know that...:read:

rufus
April 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Well at least you know better... right? Enrollment size does not equate to football strength.

I was at Furman for the playoff game in 2004, and I can tell you that they could play football as well as anyone in I-AA.

That being said, you can't say that there is no correlation between size and football success. There are definitely outliers, but you can't deny that there is a correlation. Out of curiosity Ralph, what's the average enrollment of the past 20 I-AA national champions? Yeah, that's what I thought.

rufus
April 14th, 2006, 04:27 PM
From a FAN of arguably one of the top 10 1-AA programs on all-time. I don't speak for ASU, just myself. Ralph's hate for ASU strikes again.

As for the size of schools check the size of Clemson and Arkansas (both 17K) and I'm sure others. It's nice to use the largest school in the nation for your purposes I guess...

These schools add nothing and only further the stigma that 1-AA is Div. 2 to the casual sports fan.

GP are WSSU and NC Central private? I didn't know that...:read:

Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing when I read the Ohio State comparison. Saying that OSU's size is representative of I-A is like saying that UC Davis's size is representative of top I-AAs.

ucdtim17
April 14th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Rice has the smallest Div I-A undergrad population and they have been able to secure home and home series with Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor and Oklahoma St. Throw in two for ones with UCLA and Texas. They have under 2000 students and constantly compete with schools with populations 15x theres (heck, crosstown rival Houston, who they've beat numerous times has 30,000).

Size does not matter. Texas State - San Marcos (formerly SWT) has been the largest school in the SLC for years and before this past year, had never been the SLC champion. They have an enrollment of upwards of 25,000...

Rice also averaged 10,000 fans last year in a 70,000 seat stadium . . .

gophoenix
April 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM
GP are WSSU and NC Central private? I didn't know that...

You and I both know they aren't Saint, which is why I said "instead of knocking smaller publics and private schools"

The argument about DI is never about about one single sport, and that is what people really fail to remember.

April 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
... hate for ASU strikes again...Perhaps you'll enlighten me as to where I have hate for ASU? Ask Roachel Laney, David Coulson, Kevin Richardson, Richie Williams, Marques Murrell, Trey Elder, Corey Lynch, Jerry Moore, Ken Peacock, etc. I have nothing but respect for the program, administrators and student-athletes. Blowhard fans on the other hand who put others down to make themselves feel bigger is another thing. I'm not a fan of them for sure. : smh : Never have been, never will. I think respect is earned by showing respect to others. :nod:

ngineer
April 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM

and their undergrad enrollment is about 2500!

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Times are changing at Rice, just watch Mike Graham work his magic. I was at several of those games. Seems Graham is making improvements to the stadium and much more. Rice refuses to play the I-AAs unlike Houston because they are capable of luring teams to play them at home from BCS conferences. Texas refuses to play Houston anymore after a problem in the past...

Of course, Rice's living alumni base couldn't even fill Rice Stadium! :nod:

Thing about Rice is outside of football, they've been successful. Whether it tennis (just beat top three ranked Texas), baseball (always competitive), WBB (several postseason berths of late), MBB (postseason berths, though NIT) or even soccer (NCAA bids the last two, three years), they have a solid program outside of football. Can only imagine if football turned it around...

ngineer
April 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Totally irrelevant. Too many students think they're legends 'in their own minds'. Schools like Wayne State, Temple have enrollments of 30-40,000. You can only put so many on the field at one time as well as on a squad. JMU has just gotten the sweet taste of 'some' success and is already getting full of itself. They should calm down and and enjoy the atmosphere they currently have. It can change quickly. Delaware, Eastern Kentucky, etc. are all large state schools that, historically, have been some of I-AA's strongest programs; yet, they, too, have suffered some lean years in the process. It all comes down to emphasis and priority the school's administration wants to make. As Appalachian State found out this past November, schools with small enrollments can be very difficult on the gridiron;and, just year before, JMU escaped Goodman Stadium with a one point victory over a school of only 4600 students. Should we have been given a certain number of points because of the enrollment unbalance? This isn't like public schools were the state athletic programs are divided by the size of schools. That's because high schools are limited to the size of their student bodies from which to draw their athletes.

Saint3333
April 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
If you refuse to see the image that 1-AA football is portraying go ahead. PC, Cambell, etc. are fine academic schools but they only further the reputation of 1-AA being Div. 2.

Having these schools in 1-AA does make me feel "bigger" in fact it does just the opposite...

DFW HOYA
April 14th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, what's the size of the undergrad enrollment got to do with anything? Wofford's about 1500, Lafayette 2300, Colgate 2800...largest school in the PL is Georgetown at 12,191 ('05-06) and next largest Fordham at 7403, yet last year both had losing records. Meanwhile Lafayette and Colgate were in the playoffs.

Georgetown's undergraduate population is only 6,200. Off campus grad, law, medical, MBA, and PhD students account for the the figure you cited above, but 6,000 is a more representative number at Georgetown.

As most PL fans (but not all I-AA fans) know, Georgetown's losing seasons bear a direct correlation to a budget only one-third that of other PL schools. If Georgetown had Lehigh or Colgate's FB budget, it would be a national contender.

As to the point above saying that Rice only averaged 10K last season, they averaged twice that many just two years ago. Losing seasons will always hurt attendance--this is a school that hasn't seen a bowl invite since 1961.

rufus
April 14th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Totally irrelevant. Too many students think they're legends 'in their own minds'. Schools like Wayne State, Temple have enrollments of 30-40,000. You can only put so many on the field at one time as well as on a squad. JMU has just gotten the sweet taste of 'some' success and is already getting full of itself. They should calm down and and enjoy the atmosphere they currently have. It can change quickly. Delaware, Eastern Kentucky, etc. are all large state schools that, historically, have been some of I-AA's strongest programs; yet, they, too, have suffered some lean years in the process. It all comes down to emphasis and priority the school's administration wants to make. As Appalachian State found out this past November, schools with small enrollments can be very difficult on the gridiron;and, just year before, JMU escaped Goodman Stadium with a one point victory over a school of only 4600 students. Should we have been given a certain number of points because of the enrollment unbalance? This isn't like public schools were the state athletic programs are divided by the size of schools. That's because high schools are limited to the size of their student bodies from which to draw their athletes.

JMU's winning the national championship has nothing to do with its students' desire to move to I-A. I graduated from JMU almost four years ago, so having 'some' success had nothing to do with it at the time I was there. It was actually during a 2-9 season that our AD first announced the plan to expand our stadium to 40k seats. It wasn't success that drove our plans -- it was our projected growth.

Obviously, as you stated, having a greater number of students does not allow a large school to put more players on the field, but it does typically provide a school with greater resources. You're also correct that certain private schools have resources far greater than larger public schools. The PL and Ivy schools are great examples. Even so, there is a correlation between size and performance in college football.

You have exceptions that go both ways -- Temple/TCU, Sac State/Furman -- but larger schools typically perform better. Just the facts.

golionsgo
April 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM

We've been an official member of the Southland Conference since 1997-98 and were an official football playing member in 2005. We were playoff eligible the first year we brought football back in 2003.

ngineer
April 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Georgetown's undergraduate population is only 6,200. Off campus grad, law, medical, MBA, and PhD students account for the the figure you cited above, but 6,000 is a more representative number at Georgetown.

As most PL fans (but not all I-AA fans) know, Georgetown's losing seasons bear a direct correlation to a budget only one-third that of other PL schools. If Georgetown had Lehigh or Colgate's FB budget, it would be a national contender.

As to the point above saying that Rice only averaged 10K last season, they averaged twice that many just two years ago. Losing seasons will always hurt attendance--this is a school that hasn't seen a bowl invite since 1961.

Tell your SID to change their information given to other PL's. Got the enrollment number from last years media guide.
But you are correct. It's the money, not the size of the student body.
Heck, Notre Dame is only about 7,000 undergrad..

April 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
If you refuse to see the image that 1-AA football is portraying go ahead. PC, Cambell, etc. are fine academic schools but they only further the reputation of 1-AA being Div. 2...Portraying to whom? Who thinks I-AA is D-II and do you think so? Most of all, who cares what others think? Facts are facts. If a school plays in D-I they are D-I no matter what "they" say.

Saint3333
April 15th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Perception is reality.

I probably average correcting one person a week who say things like:

When is (insert your college here) going Div. 1?
What Div. 1 game did (insert your college here) schedule this year?
Some people ask if ASU plays div. 1 in other sports???

Yes these people are ignorant, but even the "well-informed" fans get it wrong too.

Do you watch ESPN or listen to sports talk radio other than 1-AA waves?

I obviously care what other think or why would I come to a message board?

April 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Perception is reality... Do you watch ESPN or listen to sports talk radio other than 1-AA waves?...Perception is not reality silly. Is the world flat? Most people thought so at one time.

No I don't watch ESPN unless a I-AA game is on. Even then I have to turn down the sound because of the idiotic announcers. The sports radio I listen to doesn't cover I-AA (not many I-AA teams around Chicago).

I guess my point is don't base your opinions of I-AA on what I-A fans think.

greenG
April 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Messages on the D2Football.com message board say that North Dakota will announce they are moving to D-I. Probably on May 15. South Dakota and St. Cloud St. may follow.

colgate13
April 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Messages on the D2Football.com message board say that North Dakota will announce they are moving to D-I. Probably on May 15. South Dakota and St. Cloud St. may follow.

I would not be surprised. UND can't let NDSU get the headlines here. I thought they would have done it sooner.

Great news for I-AA IMO.

ngineer
April 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I would not be surprised. UND can't let NDSU get the headlines here. I thought they would have done it sooner.

Great news for I-AA IMO.

Definitely good news. will help bring some geographical balance to that map!!

Tod
April 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Definitely good news. will help bring some geographical balance to that map!!

Hopefully they all join the Great West and it's done.

IndianFan
April 16th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Look for North Greenville and Brevard to join the SAC and Presbyterian to fade into 1-AA oblivion behind CSU because they will get less press than they are getting now becuase of their location. Too many D-1 powers in their area.

gophoenix
April 17th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Look for North Greenville and Brevard to join the SAC and Presbyterian to fade into 1-AA oblivion behind CSU because they will get less press than they are getting now becuase of their location. Too many D-1 powers in their area.

Sounds like Sour Grapes. Press has nothing to do with it, Money does. And that is what all of this is about.... money. Not about school size, academics, location, stadium size, who you play, it's about money .... end of story.

So people perceive I-AA wrong. In all honesty, I don't care. Heck, most I-A fans think the Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA and MWC dilute I-A. And guess what, most non-alumni type fans are for I-A BCS schools.

Like I keep saying on a ton of boards. There are 6 conference people care about: ACC, SEC, PAC-10, Big 10, Big 12 and Big East. Everyone else is backstabbing one another to get as close to them as they can to try to just taste that spotlight just for a little while.

Wofford, WSSU, NC Central, Elon, Gardner-Webb, Presbyterian, NDSU, SDSU, UNC, UC-Davis, Central Arkansas and others should be commended for bringing football programs into the division instead of being another one of the countless faces who just "can't afford football" like many of the other medium-sized public schools and larger private schools in DI.

Want to know what kills the image of the division? Everyone moving up to I-A and bad mouthing I-AA after they do it. What's even worse is the number of I-AA people who bad mouth I-AA on a daily basis. Even worse than that, the number of I-AA people who bad mouth schools that put out full scholarship programs just because they field a team.

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Sounds like Sour Grapes. Press has nothing to do with it, Money does. And that is what all of this is about.... money. Not about school size, academics, location, stadium size, who you play, it's about money .... end of story.

So people perceive I-AA wrong. In all honesty, I don't care. Heck, most I-A fans think the Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA and MWC dilute I-A. And guess what, most non-alumni type fans are for I-A BCS schools.

Like I keep saying on a ton of boards. There are 6 conference people care about: ACC, SEC, PAC-10, Big 10, Big 12 and Big East. Everyone else is backstabbing one another to get as close to them as they can to try to just taste that spotlight just for a little while.

Wofford, WSSU, NC Central, Elon, Gardner-Webb, Presbyterian, NDSU, SDSU, UNC, UC-Davis, Central Arkansas and others should be commended for bringing football programs into the division instead of being another one of the countless faces who just "can't afford football" like many of the other medium-sized public schools and larger private schools in DI.

Want to know what kills the image of the division? Everyone moving up to I-A and bad mouthing I-AA after they do it. What's even worse is the number of I-AA people who bad mouth I-AA on a daily basis. Even worse than that, the number of I-AA people who bad mouth schools that put out full scholarship programs just because they field a team.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

On the other hand, it could just be a Newberry fan:D

NoCoDanny
April 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM

If St. Cloud goes Mankato State will have to go too. They won't let St. Cloud get the edge on them.

gophoenix
April 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
On the other hand, it could just be a Newberry fan

Hehe, like I said Sour Grapes.

I think the SAC-8 is about done with schools moving up. Catawba had a feasibility study that recommended against it. Wingate, Mars Hill, Newberry don't have the money. Carson-Newman fans don't want it. Lenoir-Rhyne is possible, but doubtful. But like Presbyterian, they have really close ties with the administration at Elon still.

The only other immediate area school that I've heard of for I-AA is UNCP, and that was only in that Charlotte Observer article.

dbackjon
April 17th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I would think then that Nebraska-Omaha and Mankato State would also have to look at D-I very closely.

I have been saying for a while the whole North Central should be D-I

greenG
April 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Hopefully they all join the Great West and it's done.

They are anticipating an invite to the Big Sky. I don't know if that's realistic or not. The BSC hasn't been too interested in Dakota schools up to this point. NDSU/SDSU are still on the outside. If they get in then UND/USD will go also.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 17th, 2006, 11:40 AM
In case others were, like myself, not knowledgeable of North Central Conference Football, here's a link:

NCC Football (http://www.northcentralconference.org/sport2.php?sid=8)

If the NCC upgraded across the board to I-AA, wouldn't it be the logical home for NDSU and SDSU?

AmsterBison
April 18th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Yep. That would be a logicial place to play if enough teams moved up. Heck, that's what North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and the U of South Dakota proposed four years ago. Long term, the conference probably wouldn't last though... the NCAA has no interest in new DI conferences sucking up basketball autobids so any team in this "new NCC" is going to bolt the first chance they get.

dbackjon
April 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Yep. That would be a logicial place to play if enough teams moved up. Heck, that's what North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and the U of South Dakota proposed four years ago. Long term, the conference probably wouldn't last though... the NCAA has no interest in new DI conferences sucking up basketball autobids so any team in this "new NCC" is going to bolt the first chance they get.

But had you done that four years ago, the NCC would be halfway to getting an auto-bid for basketball. If a conference (for basketball) has seven core members who have been D-I for eight years, and have played basketball together in the conference for 5 years, then that conference gets an autobid. If the NCC meets those requirements, the NCAA by its bylaws would be required to award the NCC a basketball auto-bid.

HensRock
April 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Looking back on that map, that northeast Boston-Washington corridor is really crowded. I don't think people can really appreciate just how many I-AA teams lie in this stretch. Here's a blow-up. How many can you identify?

http://www.gohens.net/images/I-AAMapNE2006.jpg

JoshUCA
April 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Central Arkansas gives a team to the SLC in Arkansas for the first time since Arkansas St was in the conference. Central Arkansas happens to be just outside of Little Rock, Arkansas, bringing I-AA football to another major market and gives a second I-AA in the state considering Arkansas-Pine Bluff is there. UCA also has class acts as fans. Nothing wrong with that!
Thanks for the kind words TT!

Bear Fan 101
April 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
UCA also has around 12K in enrollment for undergrads, and not the 9K earlier in this thread, but this is kinda ticky tack to be pointing out I guess...:nod:

TT you and other SLC fans have welcomed us with open arms and we really do appreciate that!xprost2x

RabidRabbit
April 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM
TT you and other SLC fans have welcomed us with open arms and we really do appreciate that!

Hey Bears, Great West would have loved to see you for football:bow: :bow: But SLC is the right fit, especially since all sports.

Regarding a D-I NCC, always the dream at SDSU/NDSU as founding schools, but we're ahead of the majority but after UNI/UNC went. 4 ex NCC members already in PCS.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 18th, 2006, 05:10 PM
HensRock, I don't know if you created that map or not, but the Yale folks aren't going to be too happy!

April 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
But had you done that four years ago, the NCC would be halfway to getting an auto-bid for basketball. If a conference (for basketball) has seven core members who have been D-I for eight years, and have played basketball together in the conference for 5 years, then that conference gets an autobid. If the NCC meets those requirements, the NCAA by its bylaws would be required to award the NCC a basketball auto-bid.Yeah but once they declare they are going D-I they have five playing seasons before they are D-I. Then eight playing seasons to be eligible ...

HensRock
April 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
HensRock, I don't know if you created that map or not, but the Yale folks aren't going to be too happy!

Why not? Is Yale in the wrong place?

[EDIT] Yep, I fixed it. Thanks.

Tod
April 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Looking back on that map, that northeast Boston-Washington corridor is really crowded. I don't think people can really appreciate just how many I-AA teams lie in this stretch. Here's a blow-up. How many can you identify?

Man! I'll bet Montana covers more square miles than this entire area. And this is just the I-AA teams.

blukeys
April 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Man! I'll bet Montana covers more square miles than this entire area. And this is just the I-AA teams.

You would win this bet Tod. The area pictured is smaller than Montana. :nod:

It kind of explains why eastern teams choose not to travel. xlolx :nod:

Tod
April 18th, 2006, 11:43 PM
You would win this bet Tod. The area pictured is smaller than Montana. :nod:

It kind of explains why eastern teams choose not to travel. xlolx :nod:

Yeah, this is why we need more I-AA teams out west. I wonder if I can convince Idaho and New Mexico State...probably not. :( ;)

BEAR
April 18th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Let's look at Budgets and population of a state as factors in student size. Arkansas is probably one of the poorest states in the union. Population is relatively small so if a school hits 20k in size, you are talking about an accomplishment. The largest city is Little Rock, which holds most of the states' population. (though I think they are moving to Conway more and more everyday) Arkansas, U of A may have 17k attend their school, but UCA probably has 12k and they are growing as fast as UA. But the budget difference is beyond immense between the schools. UA probably has a athletic budget of 300 million and UCA 10 million. (not sure exact figures). But at every level UCA has been sucessful with what they have had to work with. I see UCA when they reach the 60+ schollys, as being a real contender at the new level because of recruiting ties in Texas and Louisiana and Mississippi. UA will always have the cash and the media and the hype, but UCA will just continue to grow, be successful and bring great football games to your stadiums..in time. :hurray: I can't wait to see all the stadiums and meet the fans from this board. There are a ton of factors that make a program successful or not. Size, cash, fans...you get the picture...(man do I need some football!)

Tod
April 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Let's look at Budgets and population of a state as factors in student size. Arkansas is probably one of the poorest states in the union. Population is relatively small so if a school hits 20k in size, you are talking about an accomplishment. The largest city is Little Rock, which holds most of the states' population. (though I think they are moving to Conway more and more everyday) Arkansas, U of A may have 17k attend their school, but UCA probably has 12k and they are growing as fast as UA. But the budget difference is beyond immense between the schools. UA probably has a athletic budget of 300 million and UCA 10 million. (not sure exact figures). But at every level UCA has been sucessful with what they have had to work with. I see UCA when they reach the 60+ schollys, as being a real contender at the new level because of recruiting ties in Texas and Louisiana and Mississippi. UA will always have the cash and the media and the hype, but UCA will just continue to grow, be successful and bring great football games to your stadiums..in time. :hurray: I can't wait to see all the stadiums and meet the fans from this board. There are a ton of factors that make a program successful or not. Size, cash, fans...you get the picture...(man do I need some football!)

Can that be true?! A $300,000,000 athletic budget? :eek: :eek: :eek:

ucdtim17
April 19th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Can that be true?! A $300,000,000 athletic budget? :eek: :eek: :eek:

No UA is probably more like $30 mil and UCA $5 mil. I think Texas and Ohio State have the largest athletic budgets in the country, up over $50 million

Tod
April 19th, 2006, 12:07 AM
No UA is probably more like $30 mil and UCA $5 mil. I think Texas and Ohio State have the largest athletic budgets in the country, up over $50 million

I kind of thought as much. Should have put the wink smiley at the end. :D

blukeys
April 19th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, this is why we need more I-AA teams out west. I wonder if I can convince Idaho and New Mexico State...probably not. :( ;)

One thing I have learned on AGS is the huge distance issues Western teams deal with all the time. It is my view these issues are a serious problem for all of I-AA football as it drives up costs and can even get an AD in trouble!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

It is something I had never thought about before coming on this site. I realize now that I-A schools in the West don't have this as a huge handicap since all I-A schools do significant traveling whether they are on the East or West Coasts. There Just are not that many football playing schools at any level West of the Mississippi and East of the Sierra Nevadas. On the other hand I can drive 2 hours from my house and see a dozen or more college football teams at all levels. (I can drive 5 minutes and see 2 teams)

Best of luck Tod getting New Mexico State or Idaho to get into the I-AA fold. Personally I think they will stay at I-A and continue to have their rear ends kicked every Saturday so that they can lose a lot of money. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

My view is that Western I-AA football will expand with upcoming D-2 teams. I hope the BSC can help some of these guys. Otherwise, I-AA will become more domintated by the Eastern teams and you know how that East Coast Bias is!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A 2 hour bus trip in the east is 75-80 miles

Stang Fever
April 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks Everyone!

http://www.gohens.net/images/I-AAMap2006.jpg

When i look at this map.....the most logical place for The Great West Teams are in the Big Sky and Gateway

UC DAVIS, POLY, and SOuthern Utah could easily be in the Big Sky for football.....

While THe Dakotas could fit in the Gateway

89Hen
April 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
UC DAVIS, POLY, and SOuthern Utah could easily be in the Big Sky for football..... While THe Dakotas could fit in the Gateway
:nod: I've been saying that for two years.

aceinthehole
April 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I think that is 33 I-AA teams in 6 different conferences!

FYI - There are just 8 I-A teams in 2 conferences (plus Indys) on that map:

Boston College (ACC)
Connecticut (Big East)
Syracuse (Big East)
Army (Ind)
Rutgers (Big East)
Temple (Ind)
Navy (Ind)
Maryland (ACC)

It doesn't look like Buffalo, Penn State, or Pitt are on that map.

dbackjon
April 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah but once they declare they are going D-I they have five playing seasons before they are D-I. Then eight playing seasons to be eligible ...

The eight-year period starts AFTER they are full members of D-I? That is harsh!

GSUhooligan
April 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Out of curiosity Ralph, what's the average enrollment of the past 20 I-AA national champions?

Since you never responded to the question, ralph, I will.

The average enrollment of the last 20 I-AA NC is 16,198 (going by semi-current enrollment data. I didn't feel like going back to find the enrollment at the time of the prospective NC) The smallest being Furman at 4500, the next being UL-Monroe who is I-A now at circa 10000, and the next smallest being Youngstown State at 13092.

It is a little skewed since I'm using"current" data, but even if you just look at the last 7 champs, the average enrollment is....16816.

UAalum72
April 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I think that is 33 I-AA teams in 6 different conferences!
I think Howard is missing from I-AA on there - or is it buried under Georgetown?

April 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM
The eight-year period starts AFTER they are full members of D-I? That is harsh!Yeah, I had to check with the NCAA on that a while back and indeed it's true.

HensRock
April 20th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I think Howard is missing from I-AA on there - or is it buried under Georgetown?

Thank you. Yes, Howard was hiding under G'town. I've looked up more specific addresses for each and corrected the map. It looks like Howard is just a little east of Georgetown.

Actually, there are 35 I-AA schools in 6 conferences on this map.