PDA

View Full Version : How Bad is Savannah State?

BigApp
April 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM
This isn't Smack, rather a sad statement. A Division II school has scheduled 1-AA Savannah State as their HOMECOMING opponent:

Football News Releases

JCSU Releases 2006 Football Schedule - April 11, 2006

The Johnson C. Smith University athletics department announced their 2006 football schedule with four home games, and a new opponent in Edward Waters College.

Like most other Division II schools, JCSU opted to begin their season on August 26th.The Golden Bulls will travel down I-85 to participate in the HBCU Classic vs. Edward Waters College at 4:00 pm in Greenville, SC. Edward Waters finished their 2005 campaign with a 3-7 mark.

On September 2, the Bulls will make their way to West Virginia to take on the Glenville State University Pioneers. Last season, JCSU fell to the Pioneers 33-9 in Charlotte, NC.

The season home opener begins with the Bulldogs of Bowie State University on September 9. The Bulldogs had a successful campaign last season finishing with an 8-4 record including appearances in the CIAA title game and the Pioneer Bowl. The Bulldogs narrowly escaped the Golden Bulls with a 12-9 victory in Bowie, MD.

After taking a week off, the Gold and Blue will begin the rigid conference run with a three-game road trip. First the Virginia Union Panthers on September 23. The Panthers finished the 2005 season with a record of 3-7 and a fifth place finish in the CIAA east.

On September 30, Virginia is the place of choice with St. Paul’s College. The Tigers ended their inaugural season after an 18-year hiatus with a 4-6 record.

History repeats itself once again with Livingstone College on October 7, 2006. The renewal of the first historically black college game will be played at 6:00 pm in Salisbury, NC.

Three home games follow with St. Augustine’s College on October 14. The Falcons earned a homecoming victory over JCSU 26-7 in Raleigh, NC. The always tough Broncos of Fayetteville State University make their return to Charlotte for the first time since the 2002 season.

Homecoming 2006 will feature yet another set of Tigers, this time it is Division I-AA Savannah State University. The series meeting between the two schools is 3-0 in favor of the Tigers. Finally on November 4, the Bulls will travel to face the defending CIAA champion Eagles of North Carolina Central University. The Eagles finished with an 11-2 record and an appearance in the NCAA Division II Playoffs.

“This is a very competitive schedule like last year,” said second year head coach Daryl C. McNeill, Sr. “We have our challenges with the addition of Edward Waters and Division I-AA Savannah State for homecoming. However, we are excited about the upcoming football season.”

Date
Opponent

August 26
vs. Edward Waters

HBCU Classic
Greenville, SC
4:00 PM

September 2
at Glenville State University
Glenville, WV
2:00 PM

September 9
Bowie State University
Charlotte, NC
6:00 PM

September 16
OPEN

September 23
at Virginia Union University
Richmond, VA
7:00 PM

September 30
at St. Paul’s College
Lawrenceville, VA
1:30 PM

October 7
at Livingstone College
Salisbury, NC

October 14
St. Augustine’s College
Charlotte, NC

October 21
Fayetteville State University
Charlotte, NC

October 28
Savannah State University* (Homecoming)
Charlotte, NC
1:00 PM

November 4
at N.C. Central University
Durham, NC

November 11
CIAA Championship
Durham, NC

Home games listed in bold and played at the Irwin Belk Complex on campus.

*Homecoming will be played at American Legion Memorial Stadium

TexasTerror
April 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Why is Savannah St playing at a sub Div I school, especially one that is not in the process of moving up?

The only school that I am familiar with that does that is Prairie View A&M who tends to play at Paul Quinn every other year or Texas Southern who has played at Langston in the past, if I am not mistaken...

TxSt02
April 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Why is Savannah St playing at a sub Div I school, especially one that is not in the process of moving up?

The only school that I am familiar with that does that is Prairie View A&M who tends to play at Paul Quinn every other year or Texas Southern who has played at Langston in the past, if I am not mistaken...

It's called tradition my soul brother...

ButlerGSU
April 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Savannah State is pretty bad at just about everything.

RabidRabbit
April 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM
From Basketball:
334 Savannah St 2 28 -0.415 1.54 (333) I Ind
Out of 334 teams in DI

From Football:
118 87.22 Savannah St INDEP 0 11 out of 120

Cal Poly's hoping that they'll make in thru '06, but otherwise, SSU may want to rethink the D I route.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

arranger101
April 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
:argue:

SSU FAN #1-We were better last year than you were this year!

SSU FAN #2-Your ONLY win came against a team who went 0-11
just like us.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

: giveadam

Panther88
April 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Surely do. PQ is one of the innovators of the SWAC (if you didn't know your history ;)). From a historical perspective, we fairly well owe them the return visit. In case most forgot, it's just as recent as the early-to-mid 60s before texas historically segregated schools would not participate on the field of play w/ those of the other persuasion (if you smell what I'm cooking). Even good ol' SHSU. lol Terrified of TSU and PVU and rightly so due to the lock on talent of color. xlolx 12/13 Vince Young/Reggie McNeal types on the same squad back then would've scared opposing fans ishtless wouldn't it? xlolx Can you imagine? I don't have to imagine. My father was one of those and I personally know (knew) several other "gifted" ones. :bow:

Tradition and history. Nothing more. Nothing less.

What SHSUers need to figure out is why the 2 flagship schools look down on lowly SHSU and wouldn't do likewise. lol PV will play txa&m b/cs before SHSU would. Care to refute? lol Good luck w/ ut-austin. :hurray:

catamount man
April 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM
The HBCU Classic in Greenville, SC brought in a lot of money last year to the Gville area, and IIRC, Edward Waters was one of the schools in last year's contest. SSU has had it rough, and IMO, should drop down to D2. Just my opinion.

p/s JCSU has THE best damn band in ALL college football! BAR NONE!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

3rd Coast Tiger
April 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM
p/s JCSU has THE best damn band in ALL college football! BAR NONE!

Johnson C. Smith = best damn band in all college football? OOOOOOOOOK.

EagleCrusade
April 14th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Johnson C. Smith....

Isn't that the school Georgia Southern hosted and got lambasted for playing them? I believe JCS was advised to stop playing football after the game.

BTW it was GSU 84 and JCS 3. The starters played the first 5 minutes of the first qtr.

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
What SHSUers need to figure out is why the 2 flagship schools look down on lowly SHSU and wouldn't do likewise. lol PV will play txa&m b/cs before SHSU would. Care to refute? lol Good luck w/ ut-austin. :hurray:

SHSU has played A&M as recently as ten years ago. Sam had a lead on them at the half if my memory serves me right. A&M would play Sam again, though they are running away from us in MBB because we could very well upset them. We're playing Texas this year, as you noted.

And why are we so lowly? Sam is competitive across the board, they are not in the bottom-feeding RPI conference or one of the bottom-feeders in almost every sport as Savannah St is.

Tradition or not, these schools need to face reality. No business for Div I schools to travel to Div II schools or even worse, NAIA, unless these schools are moving up to Div I...then again, it's probably safer financially to play a road game, regardless of whom it is for some of these institutions...

Panther88
April 14th, 2006, 07:04 PM
SHSU has played A&M as recently as ten years ago. Sam had a lead on them at the half if my memory serves me right. A&M would play Sam again, though they are running away from us in MBB because we could very well upset them. We're playing Texas this year, as you noted.

And why are we so lowly? Sam is competitive across the board, they are not in the bottom-feeding RPI conference or one of the bottom-feeders in almost every sport as Savannah St is.

Tradition or not, these schools need to face reality. No business for Div I schools to travel to Div II schools or even worse, NAIA, unless these schools are moving up to Div I...then again, it's probably safer financially to play a road game, regardless of whom it is for some of these institutions...

I'm talking gridiron TT. Not bball. We know the deal w/ the "other" sports (softball, track, golf, tennis, baseball, bball, etc). Gridiron rules everything here in texas.

The word "lowly" was meant to reiterate how the "superior" flagships feel about the rest. That's all.

SU Jag
April 14th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Johnson C. Smith = best damn band in all college football? OOOOOOOOOK.

Savannah State wouldnt do well at the D-2 level either! They wouldn't finish in the top 8 of the SIAC or the CIAA.

Dont worry 3rd Coast Tiger, the Johnson C. Smith being the best band in college football was a joke! Well at least I hope that it was.xcoffeex

nlwwln
April 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM
how is savannah state so bad they are in one of the hottest recruiting states in the country and savannah is a beautiful city? Hopefully the new guy they got will bring in a whole different attitude. They have to get back to basics, the fundamentals of the game and they have to have guys who are dedicated and will buy into what savannah state is capable of becoming. Good luck to them in the 2006 season and hopefully they can get that ship sailing in the right direction. I for one dont think its impossible but the biggest step towards success could be joining a new confernce... big south???

slostang
April 14th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I was worried that Savannah State may drop football when their coach resigned this spring. That would have left Cal Poly scrambling to find a replacement game really late in the game. I was glad that they never blinked and stepped up and hired a new coach. I hope they can rally around the new coach and bring a new winning tradition to the program.

catamount man
April 15th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Savannah State wouldnt do well at the D-2 level either! They wouldn't finish in the top 8 of the SIAC or the CIAA.

Dont worry 3rd Coast Tiger, the Johnson C. Smith being the best band in college football was a joke! Well at least I hope that it was.xcoffeex

Okay, how does this work for ya! Best band that I PERSONALLY have ever seen. Better?:smiley_wi

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!