Old Dominion (2-0)
Rhode Island (0-1)
Richmond (2-0)
Towson (2-0)
Villanova (0-2)
William & Mary (1-1)

BlueHenSinfonian
September 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
The CAA is very tough to make sense of right now. Traditional powerhouses are performing with mediocrity or worse, while traditional bottom feeders are making some waves. I wouldn't even know where to start until we get a couple intra-conference games going.

superman7515
September 12th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Richmond at the top, Villanova at the bottom, and the rest can go in alphabetical order by the last name of the AD for all we know at this point.

crusader11
September 12th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I'll do my very best:

1. Richmond (2-0)
2. Delaware (1-1)
3. New Hampshire (1-1)
4. William & Mary (1-1)
5. James Madison (1-1)
6. Massachusetts (1-0)
7. Towson (2-0)
8. Rhode Island (0-1)
9. Maine (1-1)
10. Old Dominion (2-0)
11. Villanova (0-2)

That wasn't easy.

crusader11
September 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
We'll have a much better idea after two more weeks.

Spiderbone
September 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
1. Umass
2. Unh
3. william and mary
4. Richmond
5. Towson
6. Maine
7. URI
8. Delaware
9. JMU
10. ODU
11. Villanova

I think URI and Towson are gonna roll, UNH and Maine are looking tough. ODU still hasn't proven itself. The wheels have fallen off at Nova. Richmond was more shaky than I liked against wagner (five turnovers in the first half). William and Mary and JMU got absolutely crushed by their FBS foes and Delware hasn't played anybody yet. I agree with crusader11, much more clear once conference play begins.

TwoFeathers
September 12th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I'll do my very best:

1. Richmond (2-0)
2. Delaware (1-1)
3. New Hampshire (1-1)
4. William & Mary (1-1)
5. James Madison (1-1)
6. Massachusetts (1-0)
7. Towson (2-0)
8. Rhode Island (0-1)
9. Maine (1-1)
10. Old Dominion (2-0)
11. Villanova (0-2)

That wasn't easy.

I'd put ODU over Towson, and Richmond in the top third, but not 1. And I think Delaware will slip.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 12th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'd put ODU over Towson, and Richmond in the top third, but not 1. And I think Delaware will slip.

It's hard to gauge the quality of win vs. GA State for ODU vs the win vs 'Nova for Towson given 'Nova's circumstances this year.

Delaware has all the pieces for a great team, but they aren't quite fitting together yet this year. The missed/weak tackles on defense and uninspired WR and Center play on offense are the biggest issues right now.

Jackman
September 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Based on what they've actually done this season:
Richmond
Towson
Maine
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Old Dominion
William & Mary
James Madison
Delaware
Villanova

Based on where I expect them to be at the end of the season
William & Mary
Delaware
Richmond
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
James Madison
Maine
Towson
Rhode Island
Villanova
Old Dominion

JMUNJ08
September 13th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Based on what they've actually done this season:
Richmond
Towson
Maine
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Old Dominion
William & Mary
James Madison
Delaware
Villanova

Based on where I expect them to be at the end of the season
William & Mary
Delaware
Richmond
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
James Madison
Maine
Towson
Rhode Island
Villanova
Old Dominion

If UMass were eligible, I would say the top 9 have playoff chances at this point...

JmuSkinsfan
September 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I left out UMass because ... if they don't count I don't see why we should include them. I think they'll go 4-4 anyway so it makes no difference on the other conference records

Where they are so far (which really isn't a fair judgment)

Towson (2-0)
Richmond (2-0)
William & Mary (1-1)
Delaware (1-1)
Maine (1-1)
James Madison (1-1)
New Hampshire (1-1)
Rhode Island (0-1)
Old Dominion (2-0)
Villanova (0-2)

Where I expect them to finish, based on pre-season and what I've seen:

William and Mary (6-2) 8-3
JMU (6-2) 8-3
Delaware (5-3) 7-4
Richmond (5-3) 8-3
New Hampshire (5-3) 7-4
Towson (4-4) 7-4
Rhode Island (4-4) 6-5
Maine (3-5) 5-6
Old Dominion (2-6) 5-6
Villanova (0-8) 1-10

Based on how I expect the conference to finish ... I could see a real big issue at the end of the season ... it's assumed you get in the playoffs at 7-4 in the CAA under the new format ... but in a down year for the CAA when you have 6 teams finishing 7-4 or 8-3? I'd assume Delaware would be left home since they'd only have 6 D-I wins (West Chester) ... could make for some interesting situations!

URMite
September 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I left out UMass because ... if they don't count I don't see why we should include them. I think they'll go 4-4 anyway so it makes no difference on the other conference records

Where they are so far (which really isn't a fair judgment)

Towson (2-0)
Richmond (2-0)
William & Mary (1-1)
Delaware (1-1)
Maine (1-1)
James Madison (1-1)
New Hampshire (1-1)
Rhode Island (0-1)
Old Dominion (2-0)
Villanova (0-2)

Where I expect them to finish, based on pre-season and what I've seen:

William and Mary (6-2) 8-3
JMU (6-2) 8-3
Delaware (5-3) 7-4
Richmond (5-3) 8-3
New Hampshire (5-3) 7-4
Towson (4-4) 7-4
Rhode Island (4-4) 6-5
Maine (3-5) 5-6
Old Dominion (2-6) 5-6
Villanova (0-8) 1-10

Based on how I expect the conference to finish ... I could see a real big issue at the end of the season ... it's assumed you get in the playoffs at 7-4 in the CAA under the new format ... but in a down year for the CAA when you have 6 teams finishing 7-4 or 8-3? I'd assume Delaware would be left home since they'd only have 6 D-I wins (West Chester) ... could make for some interesting situations!

You predict Towson to win at Maryland?xchinscratchxxeyebrowxxlolx

jmufan999
September 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Anybody care to rank them?

Delaware (1-1)
James Madison (1-1)
Maine (1-1)
Massachusetts (1-0)
New Hampshire (1-1)
Old Dominion (2-0)
Rhode Island (0-1)
Richmond (2-0)
Towson (2-0)
Villanova (0-2)
William & Mary (1-1)

This is pretty generous. Not that I'm complaining. Just surprising you'd rank us that high if you saw the game Saturday (which I assume you did). 5 turnovers is not quality football.

URMite
September 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
It looks like only UR, ODU, & Towson can go 3-0 OOC i.e. 4-4 in CAA = 7-4. Plus Both Delaware and W&M have a DII game, so even 5-3, 7-4 would leave some doubt about playoff selection (less so for Delaware because of attendance). Oops! forgot UMass, but I was looking at playoff selection...

Out of curiosity, are any of JMU, W&M, and Delaware happy with there QB performance this year?

URMite
September 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
This is pretty generous. Not that I'm complaining. Just surprising you'd rank us that high if you saw the game Saturday (which I assume you did). 5 turnovers is not quality football.

I think that is alphabetical.

URMite
September 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Oh, and we had 5 turnovers of our own. It looked to me like the timing was off for the our true freshman center for much of the first half. And I hope that is our biggest problem because that should improve.

jmufan999
September 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
It looks like only UR, ODU, & Towson can go 3-0 OOC i.e. 4-4 in CAA = 7-4. Plus Both Delaware and W&M have a DII game, so even 5-3, 7-4 would leave some doubt about playoff selection (less so for Delaware because of attendance). Oops! forgot UMass, but I was looking at playoff selection...

Out of curiosity, are any of JMU, W&M, and Delaware happy with there QB performance this year?

Ha, we played the "we only need to go 4-4 in the CAA to make the tournament" game last year, didn't work out. Of course, your QB is infinitely better than Drew Dudzik. I know that's obvious, but my point is that there is no way you guys only go 4-4 in the CAA.

As far as JMU's QB, I was nervous about Thorpe before the season. I'm nervous about Thorpe now. He's the fastest QB I've ever seen at JMU (much faster than Rodney), but he doesn't have great vision as a runner, is sometimes too impatient, and forces some throws. He might still be athletic enough to get us to the playoffs but we have to get more turnovers/sacks on defense if that's going to happen.

I think that is alphabetical.

Ah i see. Thought it was strange having W&M at the bottom.

UNH Fanboi
September 13th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Plus Both Delaware and W&M have a DII game, so even 5-3, 7-4 would leave some doubt about playoff selection (less so for Delaware because of attendance).

The fact that Montana was left out last year with 6 D1 wins shows that the selection committee has enough integrity not break the unofficial 7-D1 wins rule just for the sake of attendance. The factual distinction that may give W&M and Delaware some hope, though, is that Montana did not play an FBS last year. The committee might be willing to give some leeway to a CAA team that went 5-3 in conference and lost to an FBS team. I wouldn't count on it though. Thank god UNH was able to eliminate their D2 game this year. It's playoff suicide in the CAA.

wmmii
September 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
1. Richmond
1. William and Mary
1. Delaware
1. James Madison
5. New Hampshire
5. Maine
5. Rhode Island
8. Towson
8. Old Dominion
10.Villanova

W&M quarterback play has not been good but the D will have a good year. Do not think any team will run the tables except for 'Nova in losses. Just for fun , I see a four way tie for first place and a three tie for for fifth. IMO will have 4 teams with two losses at the top and three teams with 4 losses in he middle. Really not enough facts to give this opinion and agree we should wait 2 weeks

superman7515
September 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM

He only played three quarters before he got injured, but I wasn't impressed last year with the games against JMU and Maine and he has done nothing to change my mind.

bkrownd
September 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I left out UMass because ... if they don't count I don't see why we should include them.

It will "count" when we beat your butts! xtroublex

crusader11
September 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Shall we try to rank 'em again? Here's how I see it after week 3:

Richmond (3-0)
Delaware (2-1)
James Madison (2-1)
New Hampshire (1-1)
Massachusetts (2-0)
Towson (2-0)
William & Mary (2-1)
Maine (2-1)
Rhode Island (0-2)
Old Dominion (3-0)
Villanova (0-3)

bluehenbillk
September 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM
UR
UD
JMU
UNH
UMass
Maine
W&M
URI
TU
ODU
VU

jmufan999
September 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Delaware has beaten a MEAC team and a D-II team.

JMU beat #20-something Liberty... on the road.

Not saying UD won't have a better season, but at this point, I think we have the 2nd best resume in the conference.

TwoFeathers
September 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Richmond (3-0)
Delaware (2-1)
James Madison (2-1)
New Hampshire (1-1)
Massachusetts (2-0)
Towson (2-0)
William & Mary (2-1)
Maine (2-1)
Rhode Island (0-2)
Old Dominion (3-0)
Villanova (0-3)

Anybody and everybody is beating Villanova. I wouldn't put Towson in the top 1/2 just yet, IMO.

bojeta
September 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Richmond at the top, Villanova at the bottom, and the rest can go in alphabetical order by the last name of the AD for all we know at this point.

I think you nailed it!

Squealofthepig
September 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Here's an outsider question, and I'm really trying to figure this out. Why are most posters here down on ODU? I've read a lot of your guys' posts and you seem a pretty level-headed group, and there's a general feel that the Monarchs just aren't all that - and I'd like to understand that feeling. Can someone tell me why I should doubt them too? Is it their opponents' records? (Campbell, no FCS wins; Georgia State, no FCS wins; Hampton, wins over FAMU and Alabama A&M)?

Just as a general voter, they've had some good success (9-2, 8-3 last two seasons, albeit against a non-CAA conference schedule), and, though a weak schedule, they've still got three wins so far. I don't think they're better than Delaware or Richmond for certain, but it seems odd to rank them way down there with, uhh, Villanova (what a weird season).

jmufan999
September 19th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Here's an outsider question, and I'm really trying to figure this out. Why are most posters here down on ODU? I've read a lot of your guys' posts and you seem a pretty level-headed group, and there's a general feel that the Monarchs just aren't all that - and I'd like to understand that feeling. Can someone tell me why I should doubt them too? Is it their opponents' records? (Campbell, no FCS wins; Georgia State, no FCS wins; Hampton, wins over FAMU and Alabama A&M)?

Just as a general voter, they've had some good success (9-2, 8-3 last two seasons, albeit against a non-CAA conference schedule), and, though a weak schedule, they've still got three wins so far. I don't think they're better than Delaware or Richmond for certain, but it seems odd to rank them way down there with, uhh, Villanova (what a weird season).

Compared to most CAA fans, I am very high on ODU. I think a lot of people are assuming they're going to struggle because a lot of start-up programs do. I think they're different. The game against W&M last year was all I needed to see (didn't actually see it but it was a close game, so obviously they're competitive). I think people are going to be very, very surprised.

TwoFeathers
September 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Agreed. I've said it before, I think ODU will surprise many. And if the game were held today, they would beat the Tribe. I'd say they are in the top 1/2 in the CAA.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Agreed with Sinfonian....maybe put Villanova in the bottom half somewhere??

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Richmond (3-0)
Delaware (2-1)
James Madison (2-1)
New Hampshire (1-1)
Massachusetts (2-0)
Towson (2-0)
William & Mary (2-1)
Maine (2-1)
Rhode Island (0-2)
Old Dominion (3-0)
Villanova (0-3)

VERY nice, Crusader. :)

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Agreed with Sinfonian....maybe put Villanova in the bottom half somewhere??

The bottom of the bottom half

blukeys
September 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Being the bottom half of the CAA makes you a better team than most of the FCS.

HailSzczur
September 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Being the bottom half of the CAA makes you a better team than most of the FCS.

Except for us with the season were having

crusader11
October 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Things are beginning to take shape.

James Madison
New Hampshire
Maine
William and Mary
Delaware
Old Dominion
Richmond
Towson
UMASS
Villanova
Rhode Island

Thoughts?

JMUNJ08
October 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM

1A. James Madison
1B. New Hampshire
1C. Maine
4A. William and Mary
4B. Delaware
4C. Old Dominion
4D. Richmond
4E. Towson
4F. UMASS
10A. Villanova
10B. Rhode Island

Thoughts?

Thats better!

UNH Fanboi
October 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM

James Madison
New Hampshire
Maine
William and Mary
Delaware
Old Dominion
Richmond
Towson
UMASS
Villanova
Rhode Island

Thoughts?

Looks pretty good, but W&M is a little too high and I would put Villanova last despite Rhody's loss. I could see Towson moving up in a couple of weeks.

tribefan40
October 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
James Madison
New Hampshire
Towson
Maine
Old Dominion
William and Mary
Delaware
Richmond
UMASS
Villanova
Rhode Island

I'm looking for Maine and UNH to drop, the winner of WM/Del to rise and Villanova to start moving up as well. (young team with lots of talent that will be improving every week) Shocking thought: the winner of ODU/Towson could be in position to take the CAA this year.

GannonFan
October 3rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
James Madison
New Hampshire
Towson
Maine
Old Dominion
William and Mary
Delaware
Richmond
UMASS
Villanova
Rhode Island

I'm looking for Maine and UNH to drop, the winner of WM/Del to rise and Villanova to start moving up as well. (young team with lots of talent that will be improving every week) Shocking thought: the winner of ODU/Towson could be in position to take the CAA this year.

Didn't UD just beat ODU two weeks ago? Does that win count for nothing in the rankings in conference?

UNH Fanboi
October 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'm looking for Maine and UNH to drop

CAA South bias? I realize that UNH is vulnerable because of their defense, but their offense is firing on all cylinders and can keep them in any game. I couldn't disagree more about Maine. Pushuan Brown may be the best RB in the CAA. They have very well-balanced ball control offense and a solid D. I could see them wining the CAA this year. Towson has looked good so far, but has beaten nobody. Maine has beaten Delaware and nearly beat a 3-2 Pitt team.

tribefan40
October 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Didn't UD just beat ODU two weeks ago? Does that win count for nothing in the rankings in conference?

For the actual rankings, yes. Although their conference records are the same and ODU has a better overall record, which would give them the nod in official rankings, no? This is how I see it. This week.

I think ODU might be a better passing team with Heinicke in and looked impressive down the stretch. Admittedly, I didn't watch the Udel game, but it did seem like a spectacular collapse in the 4th.

It will play itself out on the field, but ODU is making some noise.

tribefan40
October 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
CAA South bias? I realize that UNH is vulnerable because of their defense, but their offense is firing on all cylinders and can keep them in any game. I couldn't disagree more about Maine. Pushuan Brown may be the best RB in the CAA. They have very well-balanced ball control offense and a solid D. I could see them wining the CAA this year. Towson has looked good so far, but has beaten nobody. Maine has beaten Delaware and nearly beat a 3-2 Pitt team.

I agree that Maine has looked very good, but I guess I'm just waiting for them to be Maine. Early season promise with mid to late season collapses. I know there are some historical exceptions there. I could very well be wrong, but let's call it pessimism more than bias. As for UNH, I think the toughest defenses they face are in front of them, and while I think they will be competitive as always, they may not be able to score 30+ every week.

crusader11
October 10th, 2011, 11:25 PM
After 6 weeks:

New Hampshire
Maine
Towson
James Madison
Delaware
Old Dominion
Richmond
UMASS
William and Mary
Rhode Island
Villanova

Is that about right?

JMUNJ08
October 10th, 2011, 11:40 PM
After 6 weeks:

New Hampshire
Maine
Towson
James Madison
Delaware
Old Dominion
Richmond
UMASS
William and Mary
Rhode Island
Villanova

Is that about right?

I'd throw in a few ties but that is about right!

JMUNJ08
October 10th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I'll do my very best:

1. Richmond (2-0)
2. Delaware (1-1)
3. New Hampshire (1-1)
4. William & Mary (1-1)
5. James Madison (1-1)
6. Massachusetts (1-0)
7. Towson (2-0)
8. Rhode Island (0-1)
9. Maine (1-1)
10. Old Dominion (2-0)
11. Villanova (0-2)

That wasn't easy.

After 6 weeks:

New Hampshire
Maine
Towson
James Madison
Delaware
Old Dominion
Richmond
UMASS
William and Mary
Rhode Island
Villanova

Is that about right?

I don't really have my own but this shows how the CAA can change so fast!!! Only 1 team in the same spot (Nova)

URMite
October 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
After 6 weeks:

New Hampshire
Maine
Towson
James Madison
Delaware
Old Dominion
Richmond
UMASS
William and Mary
Rhode Island
Villanova

Is that about right?

I'd make it more symetrical...
Maine
New Hampshire/Towson
James Madison/Delaware
Old Dominion
Richmond/William and Mary
UMASS
Rhode Island/Villanova

Interesting that the upstarts this year are the lions(ODU), tigers(Towson), & bears(Maine)...

Fear the Bird
October 11th, 2011, 09:30 AM
If everybody is so high on Maine, why is everybody so low on Delaware?

SumItUp
October 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Interesting that the upstarts this year are the lions(ODU), tigers(Towson), & bears(Maine)...

Oh my!

Fear the Bird
October 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
For the actual rankings, yes. Although their conference records are the same and ODU has a better overall record, which would give them the nod in official rankings, no? This is how I see it. This week.

I think ODU might be a better passing team with Heinicke in and looked impressive down the stretch. Admittedly, I didn't watch the Udel game, but it did seem like a spectacular collapse in the 4th.

It will play itself out on the field, but ODU is making some noise.

Haha what a joke

JmuSkinsfan
October 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I'm still high on UD ... I think they are a 8-3/7-4 ... only problem is at 7-4 you're out of the playoffs!

Here is how I see it, at least as of now:

1. Maine ... Two top 10 wins over Delaware and JMU. They are well balanced, play good defense, and are absolutely legit. They should be top 8 right now, and it's a shame they're not (goes to show that reputation does count)
2. UNH ... They have one hell of an offense ... I think it'll be a battle between them and Maine, although I think Maine's defense gives them an edge over UNH's porous (though improving, granted) defense.
3a. JMU ... Only conference loss is to Maine, which I don't think will end up being looked down on. They should still be favored in all remaining games except, maybe, at UNH, who they always play well up there.
3b. Delaware ... Still trying to figure them out, but they have the weapons to make a run, and winning the "must win" against WM convincingly helps ... though they still don't have much room for error the rest of the way
3c. Towson ... I've been on the Towson train all year, but we have to keep in mind not to get overzealous because it's Towson. They're usually so bad, any conference win is celebrated, but I'm not sure beating a suddenly suspect Richmond team (31-28) at the buzzer is call for celebration, just yet. I'd like to see what they can do against Maine, Delaware, UNH, etc, before calling them a favorite
6. ODU ... I'm a buyer now ... but again, a win by 8 over the worst team in the league is no reason to celebrate ... the UMass win certainly is, though. I can't wait for the JMU/ODU game in Norfolk in a few weeks.
7. Richmond ... I think they're a better team than they have been playing lately, but I don't see them near the playoffs. I think they'll finish out 6-5 or 5-6
8. UMass ... still don't really have a good read on this team, so I really don't know where else to put them!
9. William and Mary ... they just seem to be getting killed by injuries at QB. Who thought Paulus would end up being so abysmal? They have a chance to bounce back and get into the mix but they have to turn it around, and FAST.
10. Villanova ... young talent, starting to put some things together, but I still think they're a 0 or 1 win CAA team.
11. URI ... Funny, seeing as how they were supposed to be the "surprise" in the CAA of all the bottom-feeders ... who'd have thought it would be Maine/Towson/ODU instead?!

ccd494
October 11th, 2011, 10:21 AM
How is Maine a "bottom-feeder"? This is what kind of annoys me about everyone's praise (which, thank you) of Maine. The narrative has been, look at Maine, Towson and ODU crawling up from nothing! Maine has won this conference in the past decade, Maine has been to the playoffs three times in the past decade, Maine isn't Rhode Island or Towson. Admittedly, Maine has been up and down, with more "middles" than anything, but URI and Towson have been zeroes for a long time. This isn't Indiana State turning around decades of losing, it isn't Towson having a competitive CAA program for the first time ever, it's really nothing Maine hasn't done before.

JmuSkinsfan
October 11th, 2011, 10:43 AM
How is Maine a "bottom-feeder"? This is what kind of annoys me about everyone's praise (which, thank you) of Maine. The narrative has been, look at Maine, Towson and ODU crawling up from nothing! Maine has won this conference in the past decade, Maine has been to the playoffs three times in the past decade, Maine isn't Rhode Island or Towson. Admittedly, Maine has been up and down, with more "middles" than anything, but URI and Towson have been zeroes for a long time. This isn't Indiana State turning around decades of losing, it isn't Towson having a competitive CAA program for the first time ever, it's really nothing Maine hasn't done before.

Good point. I think people have just gotten accustomed to Maine as being a non-playoff team (for the most part). 3 times in the last decade isn't bad ... but at the same time people are used to the Delaware, UNH, JMU, WM, Villanova, Umass and Richmonds of the conference who have made it more often and made deep runs. I guess Maine gets forgotten and unfairly lumped in with Towson, Rhode Island (and formerly Northeastern) who never make it.

Fear the Bird
October 11th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I'm still high on UD ... I think they are a 8-3/7-4 ... only problem is at 7-4 you're out of the playoffs!

Schedule doesn't look as daunting as it once did - although that trip to Towson is now unbelievably big

UMass this weekend is the scary one since no read on them and always tough, then to Rhody, to Towson, home for UR, Nova at PPL Park

Rhody and Nova should be givens at this point - need 2 of 3 from UMass, UR, Towson

Favorable schedule for sure missing JMU and UNH

ccd494
October 11th, 2011, 11:20 AM
There isn't even a large disparity between Maine's appearances and anyone but UNH. Since 2001 (last 10 years), playoff appearances in the CAA:

7- New Hampshire 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
4- William & Mary 2010, 2009, 2004, 2001
4- Delaware 2010, 2007, 2004, 2003
4- Villanova 2010, 2009, 2008, 2002
4- Richmond 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005
4- James Madison 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004
3- Maine 2008, 2002, 2001
3- UMass 2007, 2006, 2003
1- Northeastern 2002
1- Hofstra 2001

Fear the Bird
October 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
that 2002-2008 gap is the big one, especially if people forget they made it in 2008

ccd494
October 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
that 2002-2008 gap is the big one, especially if people forget they made it in 2008

Which would be on them. Regardless, I'm not saying Maine's program is on the level of UNH and the southern schools, but it is a heck of a lot closer to UMass than it is to URI or Towson.

URMite
October 11th, 2011, 11:36 AM

I wasn't looking at Maine as a bottom-feeder, but do look at them as a surprise. It seems that ODU & Towson are above average in the conference when picked to be bottom-feeders, while Maine was picked to be middle of the pack, not leading the conference. Therefore I see those three has being the ones that are likely to end up 4 or more places higher than predicted.

tribefan40
October 11th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Haha what a joke

Care to elaborate?

bluehenbillk
October 11th, 2011, 11:39 AM
1 - Maine
2 - UNH
3- JMU
4 - UD
5- ODU
6- TU
7- UMass
8- UR
9- W&M
10- URI
11- BYE
12 - VU

URMite
October 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Schedule doesn't look as daunting as it once did - although that trip to Towson is now unbelievably big

UMass this weekend is the scary one since no read on them and always tough, then to Rhody, to Towson, home for UR, Nova at PPL Park

Rhody and Nova should be givens at this point - need 2 of 3 from UMass, UR, Towson

Favorable schedule for sure missing JMU and UNH

Not so favorable for us missing URI & Nova xbangx

Which means we need 4 of 5 of Maine, UMass, W&M @home ODU, UD away
Ouch! - Hope we can find a DLine during the bye week and don't run into any more DLines like JMU...

JmuSkinsfan
October 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Which would be on them. Regardless, I'm not saying Maine's program is on the level of UNH and the southern schools, but it is a heck of a lot closer to UMass than it is to URI or Towson.

Wow, solid stats, I honestly had no idea. I also did not realize UMass has only been in the playoffs 3 times ... seems a lot higher! I forgot Maine made in in 2008 (weren't they 7-4?) ... but I do think the gap between 02 and 08 is quite large and if people forget Maine made it in 2008 they'll think it's been 10 tears since they were last in it.

TypicalTribe
October 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Can someone remind me of the tiebreaker for the title if two teams didn't play each other.

As for the rankings, the dark horse is ODU. They don't play UNH or Maine and get Towson and JMU at home. Not crazy to think they could run the table.

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Can someone remind me of the tiebreaker for the title if two teams didn't play each other.

As for the rankings, the dark horse is ODU. They don't play UNH or Maine and get Towson and JMU at home. Not crazy to think they could run the table.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/supportfiles/Handbook/FB/CAAFBHANDBOOKweb.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=8500

1. Head-to-head competition. If three-or-more teams are involved in a tie and all have played each
other, the win-loss percentage is computed using each team’s record against the tied teams as a
group rather than individually.
2. Win-loss percentage versus the highest-placed common opponents and proceeding down. When
arriving at another set of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied
teams as a group rather than individually.
3. Jeff Sagarin “ELO_CHESS” computation. (Located on USAToday.com & Sagarin ratings page)

If two teams go 8-0, only Sagarin applies. UNH and Maine would probably beat ODU in Sagarin.

Note that the CAA's determination of conference champ has no influence on the playoff committee's seeding. They could give a CAA at-large a seed over the AQ if they want.

WrenFGun
October 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
There isn't even a large disparity between Maine's appearances and anyone but UNH. Since 2001 (last 10 years), playoff appearances in the CAA:

7- New Hampshire 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
4- William & Mary 2010, 2009, 2004, 2001
4- Delaware 2010, 2007, 2004, 2003
4- Villanova 2010, 2009, 2008, 2002
4- Richmond 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005
4- James Madison 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004
3- Maine 2008, 2002, 2001
3- UMass 2007, 2006, 2003
1- Northeastern 2002
1- Hofstra 2001

That is remarkable. You'd think UNH would get a bit more polling respect than they do (they're are a lot of 1 loss teams in front of them who don't have the quality of wins that UNH has, and this has been a long-term trend on my end) overall. I remember arguing with someone who thought they wouldn't get in at 8-3 a few years ago. Even more remarkable is likely the fact that every team below UNH with the exception of Maine, Northeastern and Hofstra have probably played more home games during that time period.

Fear the Bird
October 11th, 2011, 01:17 PM
That is remarkable. You'd think UNH would get a bit more polling respect than they do (they're are a lot of 1 loss teams in front of them who don't have the quality of wins that UNH has, and this has been a long-term trend on my end) overall. I remember arguing with someone who thought they wouldn't get in at 8-3 a few years ago. Even more remarkable is likely the fact that every team below UNH with the exception of Maine, Northeastern and Hofstra have probably played more home games during that time period.

Well I think that UNH has become a victim of its own success whether right or wrong (in my opinion completely wrong). Once you beat that FBS team, you are held to a different standard and for some reason people decided they should be abused in the polls for getting smoked by Toledo (I think that's ridiculous, much in the same way that Appy shouldn't have been punished but has since lost again). These people that preach that a close FBS loss is better than a boatrace is asinine.

That being said, I agree UNH has always struggled for respect in the polls, probably because everybody expects that huge let down.

HailSzczur
October 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I don't really have my own but this shows how the CAA can change so fast!!! Only 1 team in the same spot (Nova)

Nova's really the only one anyone got right

JMUNJ08
October 12th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Nova's really the only one anyone got right

but still a surprise overall. Everyone expected them to fall back (tough to repeat their recent run) but not fall on their face...

Gordon Shumway
October 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
That being said, I agree UNH has always struggled for respect in the polls, probably because everybody expects that huge let down.

I kind of agree with this as I find myself waiting for that huge letdown as well. Let's face it. With the resources available and abysmal condition of the facilities, there seems to be no logical reason for their success. There is no way they can win head to head recruiting battles against almost any of the other league teams. Either they are miracle workers finding undiscovered talent, or the coaching staff is able to milk every ounce of talent out of the ones they do get. Having the current longest playoffs streak in the nation is actually pretty remarkable.

MR. CHICKEN
October 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I kind of agree with this as I find myself waiting for that huge letdown as well. Let's face it. With the resources available and abysmal condition of the facilities, there seems to be no logical reason for their success. There is no way they can win head to head recruiting battles against almost any of the other league teams. Either they are miracle workers finding undiscovered talent, or the coaching staff is able to milk every ounce of talent out of the ones they do get. Having the current longest playoffs streak in the nation is actually pretty remarkable.

16184....KEELER IS CRYIN' TA DUH ADMIN.....JMU...STEALIN' OURAH RECRUITS...WHIFF...WEIGHT ROOM....STADIUM.....AN' PROMISIES....TA DUH MOON!

NEW HAMPSHIRE...WHIFF NUFFIN' BUT PRETTY FALL TREES....AN'...PRESIDENTIAL...PRIMARIES....SOMEHOW ..UN-EARTHS...TOP TIER I-AA TALENT....OL' SEAN....SHOOD...BE @....UH BIG-TIME...FBS...LIKE HIS PROTEGE...IN OREGON.......MAYBEAH...HE JES' LIKES..DUH...MRS. BUTTERWORTH'S....ON HIS BIG STACK!

IFIN'...HE COOD....OWN-LAH.....GET PAST...NORFFERN IOWA......AWQ!

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 13th, 2011, 10:02 PM
16184....NEW HAMPSHIRE...WHIFF NUFFIN' BUT PRETTY FALL TREES....AN'...PRESIDENTIAL...PRIMARIES....SOMEHOW ..UN-EARTHS...TOP TIER I-AA TALENT....OL' SEAN....SHOOD...BE @....UH BIG-TIME...FBS...LIKE HIS PROTEGE...IN OREGON.......MAYBEAH...HE JES' LIKES..DUH...MRS. BUTTERWORTH'S....ON HIS BIG STACK!

IFIN'...HE COOD....OWN-LAH.....GET PAST...NORFFERN IOWA......AWQ!

Yeah, what Sir Chicken said, ..... I think! xsmiley_wix