PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Georgia Southern is widely renowned as the number 1 team in the country, but why? Is it because they had a great team last year? They didnt. They lost 5 games. They were wildly inconsistent. They happened to have their best 3 game stretch in the playoffs. I understand they return alot of starters, cool. Once again, how does that make them number 1. And this year, they have looked awful, yet people still insist they have looked great. They were even with hapless Samford at the half. They were up by 10 whole points going into the break against tusculum. Wouldnt the number 1 team be able to knock those teams out in the first half? At least one of them?

I just want to understand the reasons behind this team being so highly thought of. My suspicion is that it has a whole lot to do with those OLD Championship banners.

I-16Bandit
September 12th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Must be that time of the month, huh?

SpeedkingATL
September 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Tradition certainly has something to do with it. The fact that they made it to the semi-finals last year and return almost every player off that team is the bigger issue. Plus the fact that last year was year one under a new coach and a new system so one would expect improvement rather than regression. I still support having no polls until after week four but the media would never agree to that. The NC banners do look cool in the endzone.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Must be that time of the month, huh?

You cant argue can you? You know that if Alabama played the way yall have against Vandy, and UT-Martin, no one would be praising them.

pike51
September 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
http://iusedtohavehair.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/jealousy.jpg

StorminASU
September 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Chattanooga is so great I wet myself a little each time their name is mentioned.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HkmyC4YJarI/TWMy-3UZrOI/AAAAAAAAAJc/r4vsDLYjhnA/s1600/you-jelly.jpg

asumike83
September 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
As an ASU fan it pains me to defend Georgia Southern, but I think you are underselling them a bit by saying they 'happened to have their best 3 game stretch' at the right time. They went on a 6-game win streak including a win over #1 ranked and undefeated ASU to go with road wins at Furman, William & Mary and Wofford. It was a young team that came together mid-season and now returns almost all their starters. Is it possible that they regress this year? Sure, but you have to rank based on accomplished talent. Coming back one year more experienced after the run this team made last season, it is hard to knock them down in the rankings until they lose a game.

I-16Bandit
September 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM
until they lose a game.

I'll knock on some wood for ya. :D

Rob Iola
September 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Georgia Southern is widely renowned as the number 1 team in the country, but why? Is it because they had a great team last year? They didnt. They lost 5 games. They were wildly inconsistent. They happened to have their best 3 game stretch in the playoffs. I understand they return alot of starters, cool. Once again, how does that make them number 1. And this year, they have looked awful, yet people still insist they have looked great. They were even with hapless Samford at the half. They were up by 10 whole points going into the break against tusculum. Wouldnt the number 1 team be able to knock those teams out in the first half? At least one of them?

I just want to understand the reasons behind this team being so highly thought of. My suspicion is that it has a whole lot to do with those OLD Championship banners.

When you play them 3 weeks from now you'll probably want to be able to say that you knocked off the #1 team in FCS - and if they beat WCU and Elon they will be.

Of course, Chattanooga could well be 1-3 at that point and licking a lot of wounds after painful trips to Richmond and Boone...

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
When you play them 3 weeks from now you'll probably want to be able to say that you knocked off the #1 team in FCS - and if they beat WCU and Elon they will be.

Of course, Chattanooga could well be 1-3 at that point and licking a lot of wounds after painful trips to Richmond and Boone...

Why would Eastern Kentucky be able to beat them. Thats what Im not getting. Chattanooga is way better than you think they are. And they proved it on Saturday. Yes. they PROVED it.

asumike83
September 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Why would Eastern Kentucky be able to beat them. Thats what Im not getting. Chattanooga is way better than you think they are. And they proved it on Saturday. Yes. they PROVED it.

They should beat EKU. That is why Chattanooga is ranked 13-14 in the polls and EKU is either 25 or unranked.

I am not saying there are no questions on the GSU team but when a young team makes a deep run in the playoffs and returns so much, they will be ranked very high unless someone proves they can knock them off. We all want our teams to get respect but where did you expect UT-C to be ranked? They've played one FCS game, came away with a nice win and got bumped into the top 15. That seems fair to me. If they are as good as you advertise them to be then they will end up ranked very high in the polls. Beat Appalachian, Wofford and/or GSU and the voters will take notice. It is way too early in the season to get worked up about rankings, especially at a level that has playoffs and will allow you to make your case on the field.

I-16Bandit
September 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM

So where is the proof that Georgia Southern is as bad as you say? Hmm? You make as much sense as a screendoor on a submarine.

For all of our sake, get off of your knees and walk away from Huesman.

Eaglesrus
September 12th, 2011, 02:33 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to asumike83 again."

Sorry, mike, I tried.

As to your statement "I just want to understand the reasons behind this team being so highly thought of", why would you say that Chattown, when you've been told over and over again and just won't accept it? One thing's for sure, we'll see which of our teams is better on October 8.

olejack
September 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM
This early in the season the old saying "you're only as good as your last game" really doesn't even hold true. I have to agree with ASUMike that based on GaSou last years accomplishments with the team hitting their peak at the right time of the season going into and during the playoffs, and having so many returning starters back from last year it's hard to argue that they're not number one.

Rob Iola
September 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM

FWIW I ranked Chattanooga at #8 (and GSU at #2) - how much better do you think they are? Beat ASU and/or GSU and I'll easily have them top 5.

My point is that it's hard to get a win in Richmond (and Boone, obviously) and that Chattanooga at 1-3 isn't beyond the realm of possibility...

gsueagle2424
September 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'm so glad you're coming to Our House this year. We will show you why we are #1 Oct. 8th.

Smitty
September 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM

We may not be giving Chattanooga enough credit based on what you are saying but until they start beating SoCon teams I won't rank them any higher than App or GSU.

AppAlum2003
September 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
My favorite part of the football season is witnessing the overreaction to the first couple of weeks of the season. Although, I'm trying to decide which is funnier: chattownmocs and his delusions of grandeur or Carolina Panthers fans saying "We're set with Cam for the next 12 seasons - with him we will compete in every single game."

SU DOG
September 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM
First off, Samford might not be quite as hapless as many in the SoCon believe. I have seen 2 games and I still do not know exactly what we have, but I do know we have some exceptionally good players. Does anyone really know about their team right now? As for GSU, I looked for a weakness on this team, but to me, they are VERY sound in EVERY phase of the game. Unless something happens, I think GSU will be tough for anyone to beat. If my team was playing them at Paulson in October, I would tread VERY lightly for now.

blueballs
September 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Jeezus... are you totally green with envy or what????

First off, GSU was consistent last year when they were healthy. They started off strong, then their leading rusher and QB both got hurt and they struggled until those two got healthy then they came on strong again.

As for this year... yes, Samford and Tusculum played GSU close in the first half but you do realize that the second half of those games GSU outscored the two of them 65-17. You see, that's what good teams do... they close the deal, they don't choke and lose by 4 TD's when a playoff berth is on the line, ala UTC last year with their pitiful showing at Wofford- yes, the same Wofford GSU defeated in the quarterfinals on the same field where Chatty choked 3 weeks earlier.

October 8 will get here soon enough, if your group of boys are good enough they will win that one and you can say you defeated the top ranked team. if not, I'm sure you'll have plenty of excuses.

chattanoogamocs
September 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM
My favorite part of the football season is witnessing the overreaction to the first couple of weeks of the season. Although, I'm trying to decide which is funnier: chattownmocs and his delusions of grandeur or Carolina Panthers fans saying "We're set with Cam for the next 12 seasons - with him we will compete in every single game."

My favorite part is watching a bunch of rubes salivating to respond to every post chattownmocs makes. Honestly, I am starting to enjoy it...mainly because all you guys are incapable of just ignoring this guy.

AppAlum2003
September 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM
My favorite part is watching a bunch of rubes salivating to respond to every post chattownmocs makes. Honestly, I am starting to enjoy it...mainly because all you guys are incapable of just ignoring this guy.

Since Opie left, he's all I have :(

chattanoogamocs
September 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Since Opie left, he's all I have :(

ok, that made me chuckle.

bluehenbillk
September 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
GSU overachieved last year & went deep into the playoffs for starters. Secondly, many FCS teams have stubbed their toes so far this year & GSU hasn't. Are they overrated? Yea probably, but you can say the same for many teams this year. I think UD is overrated right now too & many of the top 20. But if GSU isn't #1, who are you putting there instead of them this week?

cannonballgsu
September 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
GSU overachieved last year & went deep into the playoffs for starters. Secondly, many FCS teams have stubbed their toes so far this year & GSU hasn't. Are they overrated? Yea probably, but you can say the same for many teams this year. I think UD is overrated right now too & many of the top 20. But if GSU isn't #1, who are you putting there instead of them this week?

That pretty much sums it up. We start putting together solid first half performances and I think we deserve the #1 spot.

Mountaineer
September 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Honestly, I am starting to enjoy it..

No you're not. You're actually dying a little inside every time the dude posts. We all know it. :p

gasoutherneagle
September 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I'm so glad you're coming to Our House this year. We will show you why we are #1 Oct. 8th.

I'd be REAL surprised if chattownmocs makes the trip down. So far, he strikes me as a bandwagon fan that has no clue what the rest of the FCS is all about because the only games he's seen have been in Chattanooga.

However, should this random sprayer of delusional thought decide to make the trip to Statesboro, I'd like to be the first of the Eagle Nation to invite him to my tailgating area for a complementary beer and a sit-down-and-think-about-your-words-before-you-pollute-the-air-with-them discussion about all the Mocs saber-rattling and his views about the most storied program in FCS football (no punches will be thrown... unless you get too animated around my wife and kids). I'd really like to hear first hand if all his piss-and-vinegar isn't more subdued in the presents of the jolly, but large, 250 lbs. 6'5" beer driver from the 'Boro.

My spot is H149. BY ALL MEANS... please, visit. The wife and I love company and lively conversation.xthumbsupx
(PS--don't drink too much before you get there... slurred speech and intelligent conversation RARELY appear simultaneously.

asumike83
September 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to asumike83 again."

Sorry, mike, I tried.

No worries, I think some of your Eagle brethren beat you to it. I figured I would give you guys all the love I can before we smack y'all up in a few weeks! xtroublex

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Chattanooga football has more history and tradition in its little pinky finger than Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern has played 47 seasons of college football. Chattanooga football has been around for over 100 years, played at the highest level. Competed with the giants of the history of the game. But I wouldnt expect some disrespectful Georgia Southern idiot to know that. How about I just knock your big *** out without introducing even myself?

gasoutherneagle
September 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Chattanooga football has more history and tradition in its little pinky finger than Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern has played 47 seasons of college football. Chattanooga football has been around for over 100 years, played at the highest level. Competed with the giants of the history of the game. But I wouldnt expect some disrespectful Georgia Southern idiot to know that. How about I just know you big *** out without even introducing myself?
xrolleyesx WOW... you're even more delusional then I ever imagined.xholyx

It wasn't smack... I usually save that for the other board. Obviously, you are EXACTLY the kind of fan I predicted. Being such, continue to live in your isolated little Chatty Moc world of delusional football superiority. xthumbsupx

I invite any and all posters that might make the trip. You ain't special. It's the "class" thing to do. I gave you the invite and also the threat, because may hostile posters here think they're gonna bust up in my area and be an arse.

Find some sportsmanship and some manners before the game date: the invite will still be open.

'Til then, GO BLOW SCHMUCK!xsmhx

Apphole
September 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Oh man this guy

gsueagle2424
September 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Chattanooga football has more history and tradition in its little pinky finger than Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern has played 47 seasons of college football. Chattanooga football has been around for over 100 years, played at the highest level. Competed with the giants of the history of the game. But I wouldnt expect some disrespectful Georgia Southern idiot to know that. How about I just knock your big *** out without introducing even myself?

If by history you mean bottom dweller of the SOCON you're right. I have respect for you guys in that Huseman has you heading in the right direction but truth is once BJ is gone you will be right back with your brother WCU fighting for next to last place in the SOCON.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 04:36 PM
If by history you mean bottom dweller of the SOCON you're right. I have respect for you guys in that Huseman has you heading in the right direction but truth is once BJ is gone you will be right back with your brother WCU fighting for next to last place in the SOCON.

No by history I mean history that goes much farther back and on a much larger scale than 1981 or the modern day southern conference. BTW, our roster is loaded with talent now and is only getting stronger with each recruiting class. Next year will be a down year but almost anything is a down year after a Southern conference championship and a deep playoff run.

gsueagle2424
September 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
No by history I mean history that goes much farther back and on a much larger scale than 1981 or the modern day southern conference. BTW, our roster is loaded with talent now and is only getting stronger with each recruiting class. Next year will be a down year but almost anything is a down year after a Southern conference championship and a deep playoff run.

Not if you're GSU. Pretty sure we have won plenty of SOCON titles back to back and National Championships back to back x 3 times. I am glad you are already making excuses though. True sign of a bandwagon fan.

SouthernStyle
September 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Example 1. ELON
Had great years. Lost their qb and wr oh then the coach left and now look at them.
Nooga better hope that an FBS team doesn't steals huseman away. I know we are hoping to keep monken.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Not if you're GSU. Pretty sure we have won plenty of SOCON titles back to back and National Championships back to back x 3 times. I am glad you are already making excuses though. True sign of a bandwagon fan.

Good for Georgia Southern. However I dont see them winning anything this year. Maybe next year though.

gasoutherneagle
September 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
We're only gonna have to listen to this babble until September 25th. Then, we aren't gonna hear from chattownmonkey-boy until after Citadel... then he'll disappear for good 7 days later.

cannonballgsu
September 12th, 2011, 05:35 PM

http://forum.codecall.net/attachments/lounge/1271d1232289717-internet-tough-guys-internettoughguy.jpg

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I say again:

SoCon wins since 2000:
Chattanooga 27
Wofford 56
App State 70
GSU 58
Furman 55

We're cowering in the wake that is the tradition of the University of Tennessee Chattanooga football team

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 05:58 PM
You think its bad now, just wait til Chattanooga rolls to Southern Conference Champions...And BTW yes Georgia Southern history does in fact pale in comparison to Chattanooga football history.

SouthernStyle
September 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I say again:

SoCon wins since 2000:
Chattanooga 27
Wofford 56
App State 70
GSU 58
Furman 55

We're cowering in the wake that is the tradition of the University of Tennessee Chattanooga football team

Dayum........

GoGSU
September 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM

OH MY GOD!>>>WHAT HE SAID...why is everyone even thinking about responding to this 12 year old idiot????xbangx

GSU1-A
September 12th, 2011, 06:40 PM
All I can say is.. I can finally see that all is right with College Football. Hopefully a decade of crap can be forgotten on Jan 7th or whenever it is this year! ;)

TwoFeathers
September 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM

I actually agree with that... gave up 21 points to Tusculum??? They were supposed to win those 2 games. But hey, everyone else has dropped 1 game already, so process of elimination???

TwoFeathers
September 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM

gotta love chattownmocs for stirring-the-pot...

gasoutherneagle
September 12th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Typical...

You have what dog in this fight?

Yeah...
"You don't need to see my identification. These aren't the droids you're looking for. I can go about my business. Move along." xsmiley_wix

GATA
September 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM
You think its bad now, just wait til Chattanooga rolls to Southern Conference Champions...And BTW yes Georgia Southern history does in fact pale in comparison to Chattanooga football history.

If you count being completely irrelevant as "history" then yes...GSU pales in comparison.

I guess just EXISTING is enough nowadays. That's how you know Chatty is a loser program. You guys find comfort in simply having a team. Winning is secondary.

eaglemachine
September 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM

rather have a 30 year history filled with tradition, wins and titles than losing....

Can't wait to see the GSU/Chatty game this year. With the new formations we have been running the last two games, Chatty will not know where GSU is going.

GSU EAGLES
September 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM

Of course. What else would be expected of the greatest dynasty in division I football history? Deal with it.

The question is how the hell are we going to fit a 7th flag on our pole this year?

Smitty
September 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM
rather have a 30 year history filled with tradition, wins and titles than losing....

Can't wait to see the GSU/Chatty game this year. With the new formations we have been running the last two games, Chatty will not know where GSU is going.

Trust me I would rather just have a few more wins than just 30 years of losing...

TwoFeathers
September 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Of course. What else would be expected of the greatest dynasty in division I football history? Deal with it.

The question is how the hell are we going to fit a 7th flag on our pole this year?

You must not remember the Oklahoma teams from the 50's? 60-3-1 over 6 years including 3 undefeated seasons and 2 national championships? Or how about Nebraska in the 90's? Or Miami's 5 championship appearances with 3 wins in the late 80's/early 90's? Alabama under Bear Bryant... The list goes on before we get to your deserving squad.

GSU EAGLES
September 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
You must not remember the Oklahoma teams from the 50's? 60-3-1 over 6 years including 3 undefeated seasons and 2 national championships? Or how about Nebraska in the 90's? Or Miami's 5 championship appearances with 3 wins in the late 80's/early 90's? Alabama under Bear Bryant... The list goes on before we get to your deserving squad.

8 title game appearances, 6 championships in a 15 year period. Anyone else in division 1 won 6 titles in 15 years? 79-11 in championship seasons.

TwoFeathers
September 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
8 title game appearances, 6 championships in a 15 year period. Anyone else in division 1 won 6 titles in 15 years?

I think those are probably considered 2 dynasties, Russell and Johnson. Either way, outstanding accomplishment!

TwoFeathers
September 12th, 2011, 08:52 PM
8 title game appearances, 6 championships in a 15 year period. Anyone else in division 1 won 6 titles in 15 years? 93-12 in championship game seasons.

And yes, Princeton has won 28, with 12 over a 15 year span ;)

GunsAndGuitars
September 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
xpopcornx...Keep going guys, I still have a whole box of this stuff.

eaglewraith
September 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I think someone is still butthurt from the *** whooping they had to tote last year in the playoffs.

"We're going to need you to turn in those parking passes because we'll need them next week." -----EPIC LULZ

Also, to stay on topic, the OP is a dumbass.

Rob Iola
September 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Opie is that you? I like the ironic switcheroo of pretending to be a Mocs fan and bashing on GSU. Lunch sometime maybe? I can swing by your Reisterstown apartment and pick you up if you like...

cannonballgsu
September 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM
xpopcornx...Keep going guys, I still have a whole box of this stuff.

Share?

Achilles Return
September 13th, 2011, 12:11 AM
My spot is H149. BY ALL MEANS... please, visit. The wife and I love company and lively conversation.xthumbsupx
(PS--don't drink too much before you get there... slurred speech and intelligent conversation RARELY appear simultaneously.

But when they do, it is almost always a glorious revelation.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I skipped to the end of the thread to avoid the mess. With that said, i've had GSU ranked #1 since the spring. Why? Gut feeling...

Erks Eagles
September 13th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Crap. After reading this thread I'd say Georgia Southern doesn't stand a chance vs. UTC. Oh well, wait til next year.

Smitty
September 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Yup I think all of the teams should just hang it up this year...

No need for playoffs if UTC will just win it all

GunsAndGuitars
September 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Share?

Gladly.

I skipped to the end of the thread to avoid the mess. With that said, i've had GSU ranked #1 since the spring. Why? Gut feeling...

You just missed a hell of a show for being lazy like that.

olejack
September 13th, 2011, 09:19 AM

As a Moc...not so much.xeyebrowx

GSUNCSU
September 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
My bold prediction of the year... UTC or whatever they are now will NOT win the NC. That is all.

blueballs
September 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Really??? Please grace us with all the national championships Chatty has won, and the NCAA team and personal records they set, and all the players and coaches who have won national awards and are in the College Football HOF.

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Really??? Please grace us with all the national championships Chatty has won, and the NCAA team and personal records they set, and all the players and coaches who have won national awards and are in the College Football HOF.

They almost won, well not really, a playoff game back in '84.

cannonballgsu
September 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Ok. Here is some ammo for everyone. Here is Chatty's records against every team they have played since 1899. Wow...they won 4 games against GSU...out of 24. Congrats.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/tennessee_chattanooga/opponents.php

asumike83
September 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ok. Here is some ammo for everyone. Here is Chatty's records against every team they have played since 1899. Wow...they won 4 games against GSU...out of 24. Congrats.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/tennessee_chattanooga/opponents.php

But, but... look at all the great teams they 'competed' with! They played at the highest level!

Georgia: 0-8-1
Tennessee: 2-37-2
Ole Miss: 1-14-0
Auburn: 0-21-0
Alabama: 0-11-0
Vanderbilt: 1-18-0

pike51
September 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
But, but... look at all the great teams they 'competed' with! They played at the highest level!

Georgia: 0-8-1
Tennessee: 2-37-2
Ole Miss: 1-14-0
Auburn: 0-21-0
Alabama: 0-11-0
Vanderbilt: 1-18-0

How the hell do you go 1 and 18 against Vanderbilt?

pike51
September 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM

I think TO sells popcorn at the college football hall of fame...

cannonballgsu
September 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Vandy even went 3-6 that year. Only scored 71 points all year long. Gave up 215.

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Bahhaha its called having a football program before 1980.

apaladin
September 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I love some Moc football history. Last year's UTC win against the Paladins ended a 16 game losing streak to Furman. Congrats Mocs!

pike51
September 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Wow... and you say we (GSU fans) live in the past.

cannonballgsu
September 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM

GSU started football in 1924
App State started football in 1928.

I know logic is hard for you, so bear with me...those two years came before 1980.

CC Eagle
September 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
UTC wins in 112+ years of football - 484
GSU wins in 47+ years of football - 329

Number of wins that GSU is on pace for entering its 112th year of football - 801
Estimated number of years (while continuing with total win %) it will take GSU to lose as many games at UTC (495) - 121
Now, if you want to take into account just the modern era win % of GSU, it will take about 138 years to finally lose that many.

Chatty's long and storied program should just be taken out back and put out of its misery.

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I love some Moc football history. Last year's UTC win against the Paladins ended a 16 game losing streak to Furman. Congrats Mocs!

Which means they will have a 2 game win streak over them in a few months right?

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
UTC wins in 112+ years of football - 484
GSU wins in 47+ years of football - 329

Number of wins that GSU is on pace for entering its 112th year of football - 801
Estimated number of years (while continuing with total win %) it will take GSU to lose as many games at UTC (495) - 121
Now, if you want to take into account just the modern era win % of GSU, it will take about 138 years to finally lose that many.

Chatty's long and storied program should just be taken out back and put out of its misery.

Who has Georgia Southern played?

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM

Montana...in the playoffs.

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Montana...in the playoffs.

Im not talking about other scrubs that they think are great because of their D-level football history.

asumike83
September 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Who has Chattanooga BEAT? Are you really that proud of going 4-109-3 against UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Vandy? You played them, congrats. You also lost 93.9% of your games with them. Don't act like you were their peer, even in the early 1900's.

Face it, you were their 1-AA whipping boy even before the split and it became official in 1978. You've made 1 postseason appearance since the split, went 6-5 for two straight seasons, won your first game of the year and now you are some sort of storied program? I'll bet the SEC is just knocking down your door, Texas A&M is sweating bullets I'm sure.

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Im not talking about other scrubs that they think are great because of their D-level football history.

It was a pretty broad question. Care to narrow it down a little for those of us that aren't well versed in ESP?

Oh, and just so you know, Montana wasn't very good for a lot of years.

pike51
September 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Question... In all the years Chattanooga hosted the FCS/1AA championship game, how many apperances did they make?

How does it feel to have the names of Georgia Southern and App. State on YOUR HOME STADIUM WALL listed as Champions when your own team isn't amongst them?

CC Eagle
September 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM

GSU has played 19 different teams that are in FBS... Most of them didn't end up great, but apparently that doesn't matter.

Funny.... I don't remember jumping up and down screaming WE GET TO PLAY COLORADO ST!!!

CropDuster
September 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Georgia Southern and App State have won more games at Finley Stadium during December than UTC has I bet. :D

CC Eagle
September 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Actually, GSU has more wins (including NC games) in Chattanooga all-time than UTC does in the last five years... Pretty good when Chatty gets to play half of its games there and GSU only comes to town once every other year.

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Question... In all the years Chattanooga hosted the FCS/1AA championship game, how many apperances did they make?

How does it feel to have the names of Georgia Southern and App. State on YOUR HOME STADIUM WALL listed as Champions when your own team isn't amongst them?

It feels like chattanooga hosted the game because it is the bomb.

Mountaineer
September 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Georgia Southern and App State have won more games at Finley Stadium during December than UTC has I bet. :D

There's a reason we Apps affectionately refer to Finley as Kidd Brewer West.

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I love the idea that Chattanooga hosting the title game for so many years is a knock on them. Please another notch in the belt of Chattanooga's historic football tradition.

CropDuster
September 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I love the idea that Chattanooga hosting the title game for so many years is a knock on them. Please another notch in the belt of Chattanooga's historic football tradition.

It's not a knock. The knock is that your team never even sniffed a chance at playing in it. You realize GSU won its 89 and 90 titles while playing in Paulson Stadium? You can have your cake and eat it too, we did. Twice.

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM
It's not a knock. The knock is that your team never even sniffed a chance at playing in it. You realize GSU won its 89 and 90 titles while playing in Paulson Stadium? You can have your cake and eat it too, we did. Twice.

Haha the fact that Chattanooga was in a rut for 25 years and still manages a winning record while facing many of the great programs at the highest level in the early years doesnt speak much for the D-level program that has always been GSU.

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Haha the fact that Chattanooga was in a rut for 25 years and still manages a winning record while facing many of the great programs at the highest level in the early years doesnt speak much for the D-level program that has always been GSU.

In the last 25 years...what is the record of the mocs? I mean...year by year records?

Skjellyfetti
September 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Chattanooga doesn't have a winning record.

485-496-34

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
6-5
6-5
1-11
2-9
3-8

So in the last 5 years you have had a winning record, barely 2 times with a combined 18-38.

Yeah...Real convincing. Especially in those 5 years you are

3-7 against GSU and App St.

boonegoon
September 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM
As a side note> Where do you guys go to find the historical stats and records?

Skjellyfetti
September 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

chattownmocs
September 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
6-5
6-5
1-11
2-9
3-8

So in the last 5 years you have had a winning record, barely 2 times with a combined 18-38.

Yeah...Real convincing. Especially in those 5 years you are

3-7 against GSU and App St.

5 years i8s a samll samplesize. How long has montana been a state again?

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM

your argument is a failure. How many 10 win seasons does Chattanooga have? that's right.....poor Indian Shoe guys :(

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM

I am almost positive more than 5. What year is it again?

appstate38
September 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Here's the thing Chatty... If you have such a big problem with the rankings well guess what... Your team gets an exclusive opportunity to take out the marquee programs in the SoCon.... So if you think they are overrated then prove it! On the field

CC Eagle
September 14th, 2011, 12:31 AM

485-496

11 games under .500 over 112 years of existance. Also 50 winning seasons in 112 tries.... big enough sample size for you?

mgbison
September 14th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I have no problem with Georgia Southern being ranked anywhere from #1 to #10. They were young last year and peaked at the right time.

We would know right now if Georgia Southern was the #1 team if they didn't buy out the NDSU contract at the last minute. If they would've made the trip to Fargo and came home with a W, I'd have them #1 without a doubt. However, they decided it would be in the best interest of GSU to play a Division 2 team instead.

Eagle22
September 14th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I have no problem with Georgia Southern being ranked anywhere from #1 to #10. They were young last year and peaked at the right time.

We would know right now if Georgia Southern was the #1 team if they didn't buy out the NDSU contract at the last minute. If they would've made the trip to Fargo and came home with a W, I'd have them #1 without a doubt. However, they decided it would be in the best interest of GSU to play a Division 2 team instead.

I won't dispute we bought the NDSU game out, but we did so and replaced NDSU with Presbyterian (D1) on the schedule. The reasoning was to pick up a home game and not travel halfway across the country.

The D2 game came about when Coastal Carolina backed out on us, and we wanted someone to replace the lost home date.

The NDSU decision came first, well before Coastal backed out.

Just to set the record straight. For this fan, I was disappointed on two accounts to see us cancel the NDSU return game. First, on a matter of principle ... second, was looking forward to the trip.

Smitty
September 14th, 2011, 06:03 AM
So if we are going to dig up history, is it sad to say that WCU has seen more final rounds in the playoffs than Chattanooga?*

*If I managed to work the internet correctly that is...

GaSouthern
September 14th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I don't think there is any way we get through the SoCon unblemished, but I think it's possible for us to be in the top 3 of the SoCon and make the playoffs again, infact I expect it.

Eaglesrus
September 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I don't think there is any way we get through the SoCon unblemished, but I think it's possible for us to be in the top 3 of the SoCon and make the playoffs again, infact I expect it.

That's pretty much my goal for us as well. I figure we need to win 6 of our remaining 9 games to do it and that we have a better chance of winning some than others, but any 6 will do, as far as I'm concerned. If we pull off more than that I'll just be all that much happier.

WM2001
September 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM
GSU seems to have an easier schedule this season as they only have 3 or 4 playoff caliber opponents. I didn't realize they backed out of playing NDSU but that would have been another tough game. Regardless, I still have them as the #1 team. The ASU match-up AT ASU will tell us a lot.

Eaglesrus
September 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
GSU seems to have an easier schedule this season as they only have 3 or 4 playoff caliber opponents. I didn't realize they backed out of playing NDSU but that would have been another tough game. Regardless, I still have them as the #1 team. The ASU match-up AT ASU will tell us a lot.

Our problem this season is Coastal Carolina having backed out on us and then us replacing them with a D-II team (yeah, I know we backed out on NDSU, see Eagle22's post above), plus having Alabama. With that in mind, we basically have to get 6 wins out of our remaining 9 games and realistically 6 out of the next 8. So, our playoff hopes boil down to us winning a couple of the games against the 3 or 4 that you consider playoff caliber opponents, and all of the others (with the exception of Alabama, unless we pull off a miracle there). It certainly seems doable, but not a given by any means.

blueballs
September 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM

GSU plays at App, at Wofford, and at Alabama in the final four weeks of the season... hardly easy. They host Chatty and Furman in October.

The schedule is easier than it would be if NDSU and/or CCU were still on it, but tough enough nevertheless. If GSU gets 7 d-1 wins against their schedule they'll be in the playoffs no doubt.

Mountaineer#96
September 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I don't think he will give out until the Mocs go 1-11 or 3-8 in the next few years again.

gasoutherneagle
September 15th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Playing Alabama last game of the season scares the living hell out of me. Not in terms of winning and losing, but INJURY! If GSU hangs in there with Bama, say three scores, 1st string stays in. That ain't good right before the playoffs.

CID1990
September 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
With Chatty only being 6-5 vs El Cid since 2000, I'm thinking chattown is setting the bar a little high being obsessed with GSU.

Try being obsessed with, say, Elon first, and then work your way up from there. (2-6 since 2000).

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2011, 06:38 AM
"University of Tennessee-Chattanooga"

The only fan base that could make Appy and GSU fans defend each other ;)

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Playing Alabama last game of the season scares the living hell out of me. Not in terms of winning and losing, but INJURY! If GSU hangs in there with Bama, say three scores, 1st string stays in. That ain't good right before the playoffs.

Dont worry about it. Alabama will beat you by a minimum of 7 tds.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM
With Chatty only being 6-5 vs El Cid since 2000, I'm thinking chattown is setting the bar a little high being obsessed with GSU.

Try being obsessed with, say, Elon first, and then work your way up from there. (2-6 since 2000).

3-2 against Georgia Southern in last 5.

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2011, 07:01 AM

And we are all looking forward to y'all coming to town next month.

Diesel
September 15th, 2011, 07:25 AM

I was thinking the same thing...never seen app and gsu get along so well.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 15th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Considering we blew our program up and had really crappy teams and all Chatty could manage was 3-2? Good Job!

You should focus on Eastern Kentucky. You've still got a few weeks before your Mocs get an old fashioned Paulson beat-down.

Skjellyfetti
September 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Considering we blew our program up and had really crappy teams and all Chatty could manage was 3-2? Good Job!

You should focus on Eastern Kentucky. You've still got a few weeks before your Mocs get an old fashioned Paulson beat-down.

But, they did win last year and are 1-0 since Georgia Southern's "back"

cannonballgsu
September 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM
But, they did win last year and are 1-0 since Georgia Southern's "back"

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. We were young, and on our way to a 4-4 season at that point. We made adjustments.

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Many would agree that the GSU team of the 1st half of last year was much different to the team in the 2nd half of last year.

We had a new offense, new head coach, and we were MISSING the leading rusher, passer, and reciever from the previous year.

Good Luck this year Chattanooga, GOOD LUCK.

ThompsonThe
September 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM

I defended GaSo against the CAA last year, and would again.
Even pulled for them to win the NC. Even though some would look at it differently,
doesn't hurt to play good teams each year.

Besides GaSo fans may be smug, but they have never been overly cocky like some
Elon fans and this Chatty fan.

pike51
September 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I defended GaSo against the CAA last year, and would again.
Even pulled for them to win the NC. Even though some would look at it differently,
doesn't hurt to play good teams each year.

Besides GaSo fans may be smug, but they have never been overly cocky like some
Elon fans and this Chatty fan.

As much as I appreciate that statement... I'd have to say, as a GSU fan, I disagree. We were cocky as hell in 98, 99, and 2000. We knew we were going to win, it wasn't "if" but "by how many".

Now... was that cocky, arrogance, or swag? No matter what it was... I'm starting to get that feeling about GSU football again... however, having been to the bottom, I have alot more respect for being on the top this time. :)

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM
As much as I appreciate that statement... I'd have to say, as a GSU fan, I disagree. We were cocky as hell in 98, 99, and 2000. We knew we were going to win, it wasn't "if" but "by how many".

Now... was that cocky, arrogance, or swag? No matter what it was... I'm starting to get that feeling about GSU football again... however, having been to the bottom, I have alot more respect for being on the top this time. :)

I think the next 2+ years will be really fun but I just hope we make the playoffs this year, our schedule is against us.

cannonballgsu
September 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I don't think I can ever be a cocky GSU fan. I started school in 2003, and with the exception of two playoff appearances (one and dones), it has been a nightmare.

pike51
September 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I don't think I can ever be a cocky GSU fan. I started school in 2003, and with the exception of two playoff appearances (one and dones), it has been a nightmare.

Yep... you missed out on the "good years". But I have a feeling you're about to get that feeling. It was AWESOME to be a GSU student from 97 - 01.

Smitty
September 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM

What are playoffs?

CropDuster
September 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM

I was there from fall '05 to spring '10. Talk about suck, 8-4, 3-8, 7-4, 6-5, 5-6.

As for last year's game with UTC, true freshman QB is pretty much all that needs to be said.

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I was there from fall '05 to spring '10. Talk about suck, 8-4, 3-8, 7-4, 6-5, 5-6.

As for last year's game with UTC, true freshman QB is pretty much all that needs to be said.

I completely forgot that Shaw was hurt, UTC is going to hate their game against us this year.

Skjellyfetti
September 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. We were young, and on our way to a 4-4 season at that point. We made adjustments.

Yeah. I just like pointing out the fact that Georgia Southern weren't world beaters last year. It seems sometimes like people around here think Georgia Southern won the SoCon last year.

pike51
September 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I completely forgot that Shaw was hurt, UTC is going to hate their game against us this year.

Not to mention we were never really out of that game and actually, looked to be the better team early on. The 2nd half mistakes really hurt *cough* roughing the holder *cough* and UTC really took the power game to us wll in the 3rd qtr. The way UTC played the 3rd qtr of that game reminded me of the South Carolina vs Auburn game (i think) where they had the ball for the entire 3rd qtr, scored, then kicked an on sides kick to keep the ball away from Spurrier... do I have the teams correct on that??

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Not to mention we were never really out of that game and actually, looked to be the better team early on. The 2nd half mistakes really hurt *cough* roughing the holder *cough* and UTC really took the power game to us wll in the 3rd qtr. The way UTC played the 3rd qtr of that game reminded me of the South Carolina vs Auburn game (i think) where they had the ball for the entire 3rd qtr, scored, then kicked an on sides kick to keep the ball away from Spurrier... do I have the teams correct on that??

yes. That was when Kenny Irons and company were playing, Auburn was like #2 or #3 back then, I would say it was 2005 ,2006 or 2007

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Chattanooga whipped Georgia Southern last year because they were the superior team that night. Jaybo Shaw played almost the entire game. Georgia Soutehrn was out of the game. They trailed by 15 points late after taking a 17-7 lead chattanooga dominated the meat of the game to the tune of 28-3 before a garbage time TD from the hapless incompetitive Soutehrn squad. But whatever your pretty little memory your mind wants to paint for you.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Yeah the south Carolina Auburn game from last year in the SEC title was more like it.

blueballs
September 15th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah. I just like pointing out the fact that Georgia Southern weren't world beaters last year. It seems sometimes like people around here think Georgia Southern won the SoCon last year.

There was the first 8 games GSU and the last 7 games GSU.

The first 8 games GSU featured about 20 freshmen getting their first taste of playing time on the college level learning their way, a new system, a new staff, new QB, new leading rusher who was a true FR (both of whom got hurt and missed time and played at way less than 100% when they did play) and they lost a couple of close games when they didn't get breaks.

The second 7 game GSU defeated App (SoCon champ), SCSU (MEAC Champ), and won at Furman (never easy, rival game), at William and Mary (CAA champ), and at Wofford.

The GSU team at the end of last year was VERY good and played at a championship level.

The team should be better this year. Whether they make the playoff run they did last year is still to be determined but the potential is definitely there.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM
The second 7 game GSU defeated App (SoCon champ), SCSU (MEAC Champ), and won at Furman (never easy, rival game), at William and Mary (CAA champ), and at Wofford (SoCon Champ).

The GSU team at the end of last year was VERY good and played at a championship level.

FIFY

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Chattanooga whipped Georgia Southern last year because they were the superior team that night. Jaybo Shaw played almost the entire game. Georgia Soutehrn was out of the game. They trailed by 15 points late after taking a 17-7 lead chattanooga dominated the meat of the game to the tune of 28-3 before a garbage time TD from the hapless incompetitive Soutehrn squad. But whatever your pretty little memory your mind wants to paint for you.

Incompetitive?

Glad they teach a mastery of the English language at Chatty.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
What are playoffs?

I'm pretty sure chattownmocs is just as confused as you are.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM

Let's shed some truth on this

Opponent - Wins - Losses - Ties - Winning Percentage - Points For - Points Against - Differential

Tennessee-Chattanooga 20 4 0 0.83333 877 390 487

Congratulations, you hold the worst point differential against Georgia Southern of any team we've ever played. You should be honored...you are the worst loser.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2011, 03:33 PM

What does your no cop symbol mean?

StorminASU
September 17th, 2011, 01:05 AM
What does your no cop symbol mean?

Also, what is sodomy?

gasoutherneagle
September 17th, 2011, 04:17 AM

OUCH!

I was there in the "cocky" years 96-99: 1996 > 4-7(interim coach after Stowers & last game vs. Marshall), 1997 > 10-3(PJ's first season), 1998 > 14-1(National Champ game loss to UMass), 1999 > 13-2 (Title number five acquired by giving Tressell a whippin').

Side note for Eagle fans that may have been at the 1999 Championship game: I was the kid at mid-field with the "ORIGINAL" Eagle Nation flag. Ah memories!